Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Would you push the button? cleatis Controversial News and Alternative Politics 121 03-11-2019 06:11 AM
Get Home Bag load out - start over or good start? Spoonchucker Urban Survival 38 12-03-2015 06:48 AM
Push knife BushbabySA South African Preppers 19 11-11-2014 08:15 AM
Push Seeder? Resto Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 4 02-02-2014 05:03 PM
Push to add drama Bearack General Discussion 1 06-04-2012 01:17 PM
Push to add Drama LOL Creek Walker Jokes, Humor & Music 3 04-15-2012 10:44 PM
Push knifes Lobezno Knives, Swords & Axes 6 02-22-2012 05:53 PM
When push comes to shove..... will you? forestdavegump Religious Discussion 51 02-26-2010 08:52 AM
Just need a little push Impamy Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 18 03-11-2009 07:37 PM
A stranger needs a push JRNC26 Jokes, Humor & Music 3 06-01-2008 06:02 PM

Old 04-10-2015, 01:16 AM

Default Push start after EMP?

Advertise Here

Hey y'all, I've been reading through the "Going Home" series and I started wondering. I've got a 2000 Jeep Wrangler 4x4 (ie first one with a computer) and was wondering if one might be able to push start one post-emp. I lost a battery in college and was able to get it running again that way until I could get to an autozone. What say you?
Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2015, 02:12 AM
أنا واحد حذر والدتك لك عن

Thanked 11,941 Times in 4,051 Posts

Take your computer out and disconnect your alternator and try it. It won't work though.
Old 04-10-2015, 07:23 AM
Survivor

Thanked 13,222 Times in 4,811 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstforcerecon View Post
Take your computer out and disconnect your alternator and try it. It won't work though.
Then everything would have to be adequately shielded prior to the EMP event. Definitely a crap shoot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2015, 09:15 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,708 Times in 2,137 Posts

not if it is an automatic transmission.
Old 04-10-2015, 09:55 AM
Apprentice Geezer

Thanked 1,932 Times in 1,150 Posts

In all probability (according to some research) all you will have to do to start a vehicle post EMP is to turn the key; many should be expected to not stall if running and most of those those that were parked would be expected to start.

Do research from valid reliable sources not youtube etc, and take all advice including this as suspect until verified.

I have subjected automotive computers to 100+kilovolt (more than 100,000 volts) sparks at the in/out terminals and they ran just fine afterward...but I only used them daily for a couple of months before switching the computers back to the original untested/unstressed computers...

Enjoy!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Happy Joe For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2015, 10:18 AM

It's a Standard
Old 04-10-2015, 10:59 AM

As long as its not fuel injected.
Old 04-10-2015, 11:02 AM
The end is,,,,,

Thanked 13,185 Times in 5,522 Posts

The firing runs thru the ECM. Will not start if ECM is down. Push it all day, it wont start. Only points distributers will work unless the entire vehicle is shielded. Then again, we have never been hit with one and this could all be tinfoil. Who knows, after we are hit, our cars may run better!
you could faraday this just to be safe
http://carcomputerexchange.com/jeep/.../prod_301.html
Old 04-10-2015, 11:03 AM
أنا واحد حذر والدتك لك عن

Thanked 11,941 Times in 4,051 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Joe View Post
In all probability (according to some research) all you will have to do to start a vehicle post EMP is to turn the key; many should be expected to not stall if running and most of those those that were parked would be expected to start.

Do research from valid reliable sources not youtube etc, and take all advice including this as suspect until verified.

I have subjected automotive computers to 100+kilovolt (more than 100,000 volts) sparks at the in/out terminals and they ran just fine afterward...but I only used them daily for a couple of months before switching the computers back to the original untested/unstressed computers...

Enjoy!
Very true. On newer cars. They are shielded some what for interference. Not his old Jeep however.

If I were him I would buy a spare alternator and shield it. I'm not sure if the ECU get's fried or not. If so purchase one of those as well at a junk yard if there's that much worry. ANYTHING can be repaired.
Old 04-10-2015, 11:10 AM
Never Surrender...never..

Thanked 1,698 Times in 664 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by strvger View Post
Not if its standard anymore either. I had a 1998 model that you could not jump start. they had some kind of safety feature that wouldn't let it turn over once you let out the clutch. But US models may be different than the ones they sell up here in the Nanny State, give it a try.
Old 04-10-2015, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMF View Post
Hey y'all, I've been reading through the "Going Home" series and I started wondering. I've got a 2000 Jeep Wrangler 4x4 (ie first one with a computer) and was wondering if one might be able to push start one post-emp. I lost a battery in college and was able to get it running again that way until I could get to an autozone. What say you?
1. It's not the first one with a computer There have been ignition computers in Jeeps for over 3 decades, and they've been fuel injected (OBD1) since 1990.
2. 2000 has computerized fuel injection and ignition. For it to run properly you need a good alternator, computer, fuel pump, ignition coils, TPS, CPS, Speed sensor, injectors, and various safety switch (NSS) circuits need to be operational or bypassed.

Because the fuel system needs to be pressurized for the engine to start it is much more difficult for a push start than older carb'd engines.
Old 04-10-2015, 01:32 PM
Survivor

Thanked 11,205 Times in 5,725 Posts

I find that it's best to assume the worst can happen. and plan that way.
If it doesn't happen celebrate .
Cars that do fail on the road due to an EMP, will likely be blocking those the do work.
With an infrastructure down traffic lights will be down as well. the grid lock would be cemented in.
Those out side of town that can move about, will be targeted by those stranded , or the military or law enforcement.
For this reason, some have planned to go it "across country" on foot, rather than depend on roads .
My motorcycle has an electronic ignition and I am assuming that it will be lost during such an event so walking is what I plan, one way or another.
If it stays running I might be able to weave through traffic to some degree but at some point getting past bridges and tunnels that are blocked would put me on foot any way.
Going off road from highways often requires taking out a fence or gate ,but doing that is going to create a mob rushing to get out if they can.
I look at those accesses as I travel on local roads and streets and anticipate needing to take advantage of them.
We get traffic tie ups here often.
Also plan on more fuel than you normally use , in the event you must use a alternative route or several alternative routes , These really eat up the fuel.
Maps and GPS don't always show inclines and hills so if your planing on using an alternate route use it and know it.
Your little smart car may not be capable of handling it.
However having to walk home from that point might be your best alternative.
Back to the OP , no matter the situation having spare parts in the event is always good EMP aside ,electronics still burn out and fail .
Knowing how to make the repair, puts you miles ahead.
Not knowing how, nor providing to make the repair, makes you sheeple.
Old 04-10-2015, 02:04 PM
Survivor

Thanked 13,222 Times in 4,811 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by strvger View Post
Automatics with a rear pump could be push-started. I doubt anything past 1964 has a rear pump in it though.
The Following User Says Thank You to Iamfarticus For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2015, 04:20 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,650 Times in 786 Posts

If you have any doubts, store a spare ECM in a solder sealed metal box, inside another, and you're good to go. Replace it as needed. Cheaper than getting another vehicle and dealing with ancient parts.
Old 04-10-2015, 09:25 PM
Jack of all trades?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericho View Post
If you have any doubts, store a spare ECM in a solder sealed metal box, inside another, and you're good to go. Replace it as needed. Cheaper than getting another vehicle and dealing with ancient parts.
I'd also suggest getting a spare alternator, because the voltage regulators are all "solid-state". Wrap it well in foil, ESD-type bubble wrap, a cardboard box, and add another layer of foil.

I have the ultimate "push start" vehicle - '78 F-250 4-speed with a 3.9L-4BTA Cummins diesel engine. Nothing electrical at all is needed to make this truck run and drive.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LincTex For This Useful Post: