Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
More uncommon items in your backpack. maxwell2287 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 43 03-31-2019 12:00 PM
Winter only Items in your pack? joshiedoom Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 37 02-25-2019 10:16 PM
If you could only have 3 items in your Wilderness Survival pack, what would it be? Chris22 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 263 02-25-2019 09:18 PM
Recap of Uncommon Items In Your Bug Out Bag (BOB) UtahJackson Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 68 02-22-2019 03:55 AM
Nitrogen Pack Rice and other items caleb.rumeida Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 7 02-21-2019 09:43 PM
Top 3 valuable pack items under 100 grams? twyggy Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 75 10-15-2017 08:56 PM
WTT items wax/pack/club/optics Tundrascout Looking for - want to buy 2 03-22-2015 09:31 PM
Uncommon items at your BOL Cool Hand Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 14 01-14-2014 01:43 AM
How many people pack their little items in... Gunner65 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 30 10-11-2010 09:33 PM
Split your back pack items. MT Patriot Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 7 08-21-2009 08:56 AM

Old 06-21-2009, 10:18 PM
deadliest fueler

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondygal View Post
I carry a piece or two of fatwood, plus a few shaving of it for my "fire nest". Makes getting a fire super fast and oh so easy, even if it a bit damp out.
Why not also pack about 10 bic lighters as well. Then you will not need matches or other "primitive" means of fire starting for a good long while.
Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2009, 02:17 AM
dum dum

Quote:
Originally Posted by emh1701 View Post
Eyeglasses repair kit, because it would be just my luck for my glasses to break when bugging out.
here's a little trick:
if you lose a screw, you can make a temp fix by running fishing monofilament through the hinge, then melting the top and bottom of the line so it forms a little plastic pin...
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to firehiker For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2009, 09:26 AM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehiker View Post
here's a little trick:
if you lose a screw, you can make a temp fix by running fishing monofilament through the hinge, then melting the top and bottom of the line so it forms a little plastic pin...
Thanks for that, its a great tip.
My dad had to wear glasses or hes blind so I bought him a large glasses repait kit a while ago for teh house and just bought a small one for teh car but I'll tell him this
Old 06-23-2009, 07:45 AM
talks to strangers....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehime View Post
Skateboard, Light and Semi compact, quick transportation in urban environments
when and or if you know how to stay on the damned thing, doubles as a weapon. I
doubt I'll hear another person say the same thing, but they are tried and true bludgeons
but can be carried around without a second glance. Plus there's the added benefit that
it can be laced outside your BOB saving you precious room for things that make
more sense.

I have been skateboarding for over 20yrs, I average 27mph for 5m spans on my skateboard
before becoming winded with no equipment, and 22 mph for 3m spans with my BOB (tested)
before becoming winded. Downhill I've gotten over 43mph. No need to worry about
freaked out people in cars trying to get away in gridlocked traffic, I can go through and
around them.

Longest distance I ever went on skateboard alone (with quick 5-15min walks to catch breath)
was from Seattle to Auburn in a 5hr period, after that I had some cramping but was expecting
it.
Definitely! I have not been skating nearly as long, I suck at all the new school stuff, but I can truck long distances and carve up that asphalt. I skate about a 4.5m loop almost daily to stay in shape, a mixture of terrain and hills helps. I've gotten up to 22mph comfortably before the death wobbles start, and i'm sure to grow beyond that. The two people I ride with have well exceeded 35mph themselves. My skateboard has a comfortable home on top of my BOB as a must have piece of equipment for urban travel, and even out in the sticks we have paved roads so it's still pretty useful.
The Following User Says Thank You to NothingFun For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2009, 05:42 PM

I have always a small headlight in my pocket.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosofcreation View Post
It's not unusual but something I don't see in many peoples BOBs is foot powder, one of your best friends to keep your sweaty dogs dry.

Another is my pocket constitution/bill of rites book, good reading material and something everyone should be well versed in.
good ones! i will be adding both to mine!
Old 06-25-2009, 05:48 PM

Quote:
here's a little trick:
another great idea!

we should have a "MacGyver Tricks" thread!
Old 06-26-2009, 03:09 AM
Don't tread on me.

Location: I work hard not to be found, and now Im just listing it to everyone?
Thanked 1,486 Times in 557 Posts

Many great ideas, thank you!
I will reiterate uses for a few things, and perhaps a couple not mentioned.
Fishhooks and monofilament
Condoms for water (non lubricated ugh!)
SPACEBLANKET
multitool
Maxi pads for bleeding.
duct tape is a GREAT firestarter - make your own roll without the cardboard tube
i also keep .22 ammunition in a vacuum sealed bag
sewing kit
magnifying glass/signalling mirror
extra socks - used one time when I forgot t.p. sad but true!
water treatment tablets
batteries (for flashlight, gps, whatever)
I also tear out a page from a rural map where I am and put that in there. Cuts down on size, and you still have some reference.
dental floss - snares
a bottle of various pills - anti diarreahal, aspririn, vitamins, etc.
plastic bags - can be used to collect h20
a folding hand saw.
Old 06-28-2009, 05:07 PM
Network Ninja

Quote:
here's a little trick:
Never would have though of that, good call.

And one of my favorites for the First Aid Kit, Vitamin E ointment, soothes (sun)burns, and can provide pain-free lubrication of blisters and other raw-skin wounds.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:40 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,374 Times in 1,042 Posts

Being into a little of the "comfort" stuff, I have put in our bags, some military surplus rubberized folding wash basins. They only weigh a few ounces and hardly take up any room at all, since they fold flat. Nothing like being able to wash your face and hands without having to do it out of a cup or something.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ColoradoWildcat For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2009, 08:11 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Being into a little of the "comfort" stuff, I have put in our bags, some military surplus rubberized folding wash basins. They only weigh a few ounces and hardly take up any room at all, since they fold flat. Nothing like being able to wash your face and hands without having to do it out of a cup or something.
I haven't seen those. I cut one gallon water jugs about a third way up. They work well and are essentially free. You can use them for the same thing.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:49 PM

the most uncommon item in my bag is a ziplock bag full of loose tea, and a small box of DIY teabags.

some teas are good at suppressing hunger. not bad to have when youre looking for your own food.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deaglan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2009, 07:31 AM

I carry a small 2 piece fishing pole ,w/reel, and some tackle.
Old 07-04-2009, 01:01 AM

my new unsual items are kinda dumb, but they take up very little space.......i snapped down the sticks on some bottle rockets to make them fit in an old pill bottle and filled two other smaller ones with waterproof firecrackers.

i'm thinking their usefulness would be pretty much limited to signaling (i'm thinking of the bottle rockets as really ghetto flares) and the firecrackers can be used for signalling as well (such as lighting 3 off rapidly, just like 3 gunshots or whistles as a sign of distress if need be)........and i can just snap them in half an use the gunpowder to start a fire.

mainly i did this cause i had a bunch laying around and though maybe they'd be useful in a survival situation, most likely they won't be though
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to crazyassmetalhead For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2009, 11:16 PM
Hiker

In my S.E.R.E. pack (pre B.O.B) I have a small inexpensive Digital camera <$100.
Uses AA batteries and SD, comes in handy if you need to document events.
Also if it has a zoom you can snap a pic and zoom in for finer details.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:22 PM
Target Shooter

energy shots...

if your traveling long distances and sleeping on hard earth, there is nothing better than a long-term energy shot...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to robawen For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2009, 01:15 AM
Travel light-Travel smart

I carry a magnifying glass, it beats rubbing two sticks together, and works just as well to make a tick back out.
The Following User Says Thank You to jc1216 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2009, 01:59 AM

ziploc bags and none zip loc large sandwitch bags (pooing in ziploc is not practical, use a sandwitch bag, then put that into a sturdy ziploc to keep it from getting all over the place, and to keep smell in.
bounty/plenty brand kitchen towel instead of toilet paper. it is softer on your bum, and has more uses than just tp as it is tough enough to use as a cloth (but not after using it on your bum of course.
fibresure powder; its a tasteless dietery supliment. most packaged food does not have enough fibre. getting clogged up due to poor fibre intake when on the ground for extended periods is dangerous. the stress and situational changes are likely to constipate anyway. having your food clog you up more is not a good idea. going too far can have health risks.
i know this is all overly poo related, but you would be amazed how many people have problems with looking after this element of things when outdoors. many in fact simply refuse to go.

word of caution on above post. dont apply heat to a tic to remove them. they vomit their stomach contents when you do this back into you and increase the chances of you contracting limes disease. instead grip gently with a tweasers or special tic remover (available from vetrinery clinics) and twist, then pull.
The Following User Says Thank You to ilb01 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2009, 03:39 AM
just new here

six feet of surgical tubing. It can be used as a flexible straw, tournaquet, or as a temporary strechable tie-down, not to mention that if things get really bad, and I lay down to die in a field of poppies...j/k. I vacuum sealed it to prevent the rubber from drying out, it weighs nothing.
The Following User Says Thank You to Z-War For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2009, 04:14 PM

Great Ideas