Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Water filters/purifiers and the truth SgtDice Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 38 06-19-2015 07:25 AM
Water Filters/Purifiers. Survival 101 Reviews and questions 4 05-17-2012 06:51 PM
Hand held water purifiers kev Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 22 05-16-2012 01:11 AM
Great deal on Steripen UV water purifiers... MIL-DOT Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 3 05-04-2011 11:21 PM
Portable Water Filters/Purifiers Devices Purdy Bear British Isles and ROI 5 02-16-2011 09:10 PM
Water purifiers? ChiefTTT Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 16 01-19-2011 06:41 AM
Air Purifiers Halfwaysane Reviews and questions 1 07-03-2010 03:29 PM
High / low temperatures for water filters / purifiers TANSTAF1 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 2 09-30-2009 03:54 PM
Berkey or Katadyn Purifiers? Big E Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 3 11-08-2008 07:17 PM

Old 01-10-2014, 04:47 PM
Target Shooter

Default Air Purifiers

Advertise Here

I have allergy's and asthma, in fact right now I'm having a hard time. Anyway the wife and I are looking at getting a air purifier/filter for the bed room and maybe a second one for the den. what are you using? How do you like it? What are your feelings on the HEPA type or the ionizer type? I've read good and bad but was looking at some first hand experiences.

Thanks in advance!

Dave
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to David T. For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2014, 06:52 PM
أنا لست إرهابيا

Thanked 80,469 Times in 32,261 Posts

My daughter's friend parents breed parrots in their home --- in every room a HEPA hassick type filters --- 150 + noisey / squawking birds --- never a smell --
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ricekila For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2014, 03:42 AM

Do you also have to run a humidifier with these?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2014, 12:31 PM
Believe in Yourself

Thanked 4,901 Times in 2,188 Posts

I eliminated dairy,wheat most junk food. Started taking digestive enzymes and a multivitamin every meal and my allergies and bronchitis all but disappeared. All doctor seemed to want me to do was more and more meds.
Now Zero meds...
Old 01-11-2014, 05:50 PM
Survivor

Thanked 9,175 Times in 3,482 Posts

I got one last year and it works great! I have a lot of cats (I'm not going to say how many, but you would need more than one hand to count, and sometimes you would also need to take off your socks), and it that air purifier worked wonders!
Old 01-13-2014, 01:06 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,386 Times in 839 Posts

I have a deviated septum in my nose, and I had horrible sinus infections before I got the air purifier. I no longer do. Mine is an old Kenmore Progressive 295, which is no longer made. I believe that Bionaire and Hunter make good air purifiers. There is also a brand, I think it's Austin, that is made in America.
Old 01-13-2014, 01:08 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,386 Times in 839 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alergyfree View Post
I eliminated dairy,wheat most junk food. Started taking digestive enzymes and a multivitamin every meal and my allergies and bronchitis all but disappeared. All doctor seemed to want me to do was more and more meds.
Now Zero meds...
If the OP is breathing dusty air, like the air we have here in California, diet won't help. But yeah, gluten/casein free diet is a good idea anyway.

Edit: OP is in California I see. So the air is likely FULL of dust. An air purifier is a very good idea.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:18 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry Cow View Post
If the OP is breathing dusty air, like the air we have here in California, diet won't help. But yeah, gluten/casein free diet is a good idea anyway.

Edit: OP is in California I see. So the air is likely FULL of dust. An air purifier is a very good idea.
Yeah, you nailed it. I picked up a Honnywell unit this weekend, after sitting in the room with it for around 45 min's made a big difference. I have 2 comeing for the house and will use the 3rd for the office. WOW, it's nice to be able to breathe.

Thanks for all the input!
The Following User Says Thank You to David T. For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2014, 06:24 PM
Survivor

Thanked 23,654 Times in 9,212 Posts

I have lung scarring issues and we have a Honeywell that I use when we have forest fires and can barely see the house across the street, helps immensely.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NCalHippie For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2014, 06:26 PM
Cats care too - Prepare!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David T. View Post
Yeah, you nailed it. I picked up a Honnywell unit this weekend, after sitting in the room with it for around 45 min's made a big difference. I have 2 comeing for the house and will use the 3rd for the office. WOW, it's nice to be able to breathe.

Thanks for all the input!

Which Honeywell air cleaners did you get?-model #'s?
Old 01-13-2014, 08:30 PM
Believe in Yourself

Thanked 4,901 Times in 2,188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry Cow View Post

Of course getting the dust out of the air is a must.However how your body deals with what it is exposed to, whatever the vector be it air, water or food etc only as well as the nutrients we give it or not.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alergyfree For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2014, 09:17 AM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Page29 View Post
Which Honeywell air cleaners did you get?-model #'s?
This one is the HA202BHD, works pretty good, Moves a lot of air. The wife was making spaghetti sauce in the next room Sunday and I could barely smell it in the room with the unit running.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:55 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,906 Times in 733 Posts

You should give nasal rinses a try if not already utilizing. It'll hydrate and clean the nasal area. Costco has a set like this.

The Following User Says Thank You to Nucky For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2014, 05:41 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
You should give nasal rinses a try if not already utilizing. It'll hydrate and clean the nasal area. Costco has a set like this.

Yep, twice a day
Old 01-15-2014, 06:00 PM
Hunter

On my to do list is a DIY air purifier. Why overpay for their glorified fan with a filter on the back. Stick some HEPA furnace filters on the back of a fanbox with some foam pre filter. The foam will catch the larger dust bunnies and is washable.

Build it around a cardboard box or fabricate a wooden box. Scale a fan to your situation.

Old 04-28-2014, 10:53 PM

Quote:
On my to do list is a DIY air purifier. Why overpay for their glorified fan with a filter on the back. Stick some HEPA furnace filters on the back of a fanbox with some foam pre filter. The foam will catch the larger dust bunnies and is washable.

Build it around a cardboard box or fabricate a wooden box. Scale a fan to your situation.

I made one of these for about $30. I bought a 20" box fan from Wmart and a 20" x 20" x 1" furnace filter, (top of the line allergen filter), and taped the two together. Works as great. Just make sure I get the arrow on the filter pointed in the right direction.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to donsabi For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2014, 01:03 AM
Hunter

I chickened out and bought a small air purifier for $45. I was scared of a DIY unit catching fire since its not made for drawing in more air through a filter. This one is very quiet. The replaceable air filter is a small 11 3/4" x 5". 1" thick.

I haven't purchased a large furnace filter yet, but in theory it should work. 1" thick is a common size for a furnace filter that you can buy at home depot and then trim a few rectangles of 11.75 inch x 5 inch from a larger one.

If your place catches fire from any of the mods, I am not responsible for you losing all of your canned goods and gunz. I live in Mongolia if anyone tries to sue me.
Old 04-29-2014, 12:04 PM
Survivor

Thanked 23,654 Times in 9,212 Posts

I forgot to mention that Rainbow vacuum's have a good air purifier that uses water as a filter.
The Following User Says Thank You to NCalHippie For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2014, 04:31 AM

Thanked 9,222 Times in 2,756 Posts

Quote:

I tried this idea a couple of times, does not work as well you would think. at least not for me. I tried having the filter in front of and behind the fan. I think with this idea you need some kind of duct work to pull air from one area and exhaust it another. and space in between the fan and filter.

I think the next time I try this, I will build a box that holds the filter separate from the fan. I may also try using a filter smaller than the fan.
The Following User Says Thank You to lorky For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2014, 11:28 AM
Hunter

Maybe try a smaller fan with bigger duct. This was going to be my original design, a cardboard box with a small fan. I was going to have a few of these boxes around the house. Possibly more than one side of the box with a filter. You don't want the fan to work too hard to get the air and strain itself.

But I scraped the entire idea because I was scared of the small fan catching fire and my place burning down.