Survivalist Forum banner

Seriously how "Easy" is it to build a PSA AR kit?

50K views 95 replies 33 participants last post by  7.5x55 Swiss 
#1 ·
So I have decided to go with a PSA Build because the price seems great and it says they are MIL SPEC. I have never built a weapon ever, but I keep hearing forum members say it's not difficult. SO really is it easy for someone who has never done a build.

I'd like something as close to my old Marine Corps M4 but it does not have to be exact, I do like the MOE look also but not required either.

What do you think about this kit:
http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...forged-mid-length-light-weight-rifle-kit.html

If you have better ideas on what AR to build, please feel free to post a link and or correct me if what I picked isn't what I said I wanted.

Do I need to buy any specialty punches to build a kit or and specific tools?

#2 ·
It's pretty easy. AR's are all drop-in parts that require no fitting. If we knew where you are located, I'd bet money there is a forum member near you that could show you how to do it. There are probably plenty of tutorials on youtube as well.

Double check with PSA and make sure that 14.7" has a permanantly attached flash hider bringing the overall barrel length to 16". If not, you'll need to register it as a Short Barrel Rifle (SBR) before you assemble it.

Reactions: Vodka Wizard
#6 ·
Just a few key tools make life easy, Vice blocks for upper and lower, roll pin holders and punches, taper pinstarter, Pivot pin detent instal tool !, AR armorers wrench. You can make do without but some proper tools really can save some heartache.
Think about a lightweight mid lenght with a Troy Alpha rail, It's BADD A$$!

#7 ·
OK cool, So I WILL be building my PSA AR, and this helps me save a little $ also. I'm located outside St. Louis, MO over in Belleville, IL.

So some of you suggested a MID Length gas system (so my first link said 14.7' MId, but is mid length really 16"?), what do you think of this 16" kit? Better to go with this over the first 14.7" one I linked?
http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...forged-mid-length-light-weight-rifle-kit.html

#10 ·
There are 3 common gas systems for AR rifles, the rifle length, midlength and carbine length. They refer to the distance between the gas port in the barrel and the gas key on the bolt carrier. Barrel length has nothing to do with the equation, but you obviously aren't going to be able to fit a rifle length gas system on a 9" barreled SBR, and you wouldn't want to use a carbine gas system on a 24" barreled rifle.

For what you want, a 14.5-14.7" barrel with a permanently attached muzzle device, and a mid length gas system will be fine.

#14 ·
I was reading a guide to buying an AR 15 from another site.

It said to choose an A3 upper over an A2...Why is that? Said an A2 upper is for target practice. Whats that about? Is an A1 or A3 upper superior? I think the ones I linked are A2 upper profile.

#15 ·
A2 has the carrying handle. A3 is a flat-top M1913 rail. The one you are linked to are M4 uppers, known also as an A3 or by some as an A4 upper.

Reactions: zebra007
#16 ·
The listed upper is a finished product. So, the flash hider is permanently affixed.
It is listed as a 'middy'. I see that as good. Carb length is harder on the internal parts (although the amount of use is still substantial).
I would think that unless you are wanting a shorty barrel and this one is not, I would go with a 16 inch barrel. If you are going to stick on an extremely long flash hider/suppressor, the added velocity is more useful than filler extensions to get to the legal length.

The lower portion is what you will actually be putting together.
The process is far from difficult. Take your time, read/watch the instructions over before you start. Very few tools are required; tape, punch or two, long nose pliers for some of those smaller parts. I have found that a third hand is very helpful during some steps. They don't tell you in the guides but lub the parts up first and they will lip together easier.

The listed kit doesn't have the stripped lower. That is the part that the ATF keeps records on. PSA sells a couple as does many others. Your FFL dealer will have to take delivery and process it over to you.

As for being an A1 or A2 or A3 or A4.... A flat top, like the kit's, is fine if you are going to put an optic sight on (a removable or flip rear will still fit well). The rear sight in the carrying handle works well but is not a simple to stick a 'pickie' mount on.

Nuff babbling from me.

Enjoy and be safe.

OSOK

#22 ·
Assembling a lower receiver is very easy. Like others have said all the parts are drop in so you can't get them mixed up. One of the only tricky things is getting those small detent pins for the safty in. There spring loaded and tend to go flying across the room if your not careful. Once its in your carpet its gone for good lol.

Assembling a upper is another story. I never had the pleasure. I've read it can be tricky you gotta use vices and get head spacing right. To me that seems like a lot of hassle.

I highly recommend you getting the parts kit and putting it together yourself. You get a good sense of pride knowing you did it yourself and you get to save some money.

#24 ·
If you can build with legos. You can build an AR. All you need are some basic tools. A barrel/forend wrench is a must have. It shouldn't take long to crank one out from a parts kit.
His selected parts kit includes an assembled upper, so he won't need a barrel wrench.

#25 ·
OK tell me what you think please...

Going with the previously linked 16" Rifle Kit with a few changes in selection choices that they give me.

ADDING:
MOE MID HD BLK Handguard = + $20.00
Standard PSA M4 Stock = $0.00 (Plan to get a BUMP Stock later)
MOE GRIP BLK = + $11.00
A2 Flash Hinder = +0.00 (I should get this right?)
SIGHT - ????? Not sure.... need some help here.

PSA STRIPPED LOWER - OUT OF STOCK but $80.00 when they come in.

TOTAL = $710.00 without SIGHTS

Thoughts/comments?

#33 ·
So the one 16" I linked is the Flat Top, so I can mount a removable carry handle for now, then down the road opt for an EOTech and BUIS (flip up)? Sound right? Logical?

Probably better than buying it without optics, and only having the flip up sight? What do you think?

#34 ·
So the one 16" I linked is the Flat Top, so I can mount a removable carry handle for now, then down the road opt for an EOTech and BUIS (flip up)? Sound right? Logical?
Correct.

Probably better than buying it without optics, and only having the flip up sight? What do you think?

Or is the flip up sight superior than the carry handle iron sight?
The handle is tougher than the flip up sights, but it's also a little heavier. I prefer it, because it's the standard old A2 style rear sight that I am used to from the military and it just feels more sturdy with no swivel to work loose. Having the handle to grab onto when moving it around at the range is nice too. Nothing wrong with a flip up if that's the route you decide to go. Again personal preference more than anything else.

#40 ·
Reactions: Uncle Bob
#47 ·
Picture shows it comes with mounts. Which sling? I like the two point but it depends what you are going to use it for. If you plan to do hostile entries, you might want a single point.

I recommend you go to AR15.com. They have lots of info about what to do after your gun is put together.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.