Survivalist Forum banner

Crazy kukri cow chop.

8K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  zoltan 
#1 · (Edited)
I posted this in another thread. I hope you don't mind me giving it its own thread.
This is performed at a special Hindu ceremony. The men doing this are Gurkhas. You even see the old boy British officer there. The skill and prowess this soldier shows with his ceremonial butchers kukri is pretty awesome. Of course Gurkha soldiers carry smaller kukris, but as can be seen the kukri makes for a good hand to hand weapon.

Extreme caution should be used before watching this video. If the sight of an animal been slaughtered is stomach churning or objectionable, then please don't watch. :eek:

I mean that please don't watch. :eek:

I have to say though I wish our slaughtering process could be so clean and painless. The whole village is there watching, even the kids. The cow is a sacred animal to Hindus and is rarely killed. I don't know if they ate the meat, I guess they did, so the whole thing is very special to them. As can be seen the animal doesn't appear to suffer much, I wish our slaughter houses could be as humane.

#7 ·
Think a Cold Steel or Kershaw gherka could do that? :))
For us survivalists, at least we don't have to expect so much from a gherka blade.
At least we hope they can sweep/cut brush and small branches efficiently? Yes?
Does anybody have an opinion as to which gherka does this the most efficiently?

#8 ·
I posted this in another thread. I hope you don't mind me giving it its own thread.
This is performed at a special Hindu ceremony. The men doing this are Gurkhas. You even see the old boy British officer there. The skill and prowess this soldier shows with his ceremonial butchers kukri is pretty awesome. Of course Gurkha soldiers carry smaller kukris, but as can be seen the kukri makes for a good hand to hand weapon.

Extreme caution should be used before watching this video. If the sight of an animal been slaughtered is stomach churning or objectionable, then please don't watch. :eek:

I mean that please don't watch. :eek:

I have to say though I wish our slaughtering process could be so clean and painless. The whole village is there watching, even the kids. The cow is a sacred animal to Hindus and is rarely killed. I don't know if they ate the meat, I guess they did, so the whole thing is very special to them. As can be seen the animal doesn't appear to suffer much, I wish our slaughter houses could be as humane.

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.
There are some cultures that will cut the throat of the animal they're about to butcher and allow the animal to die slowly. Butchering animals is something that is done daily all around the world. It's a necessary thing if you want to eat at McDonalds or your favorite French restaurant.

Chopping a head off rapidly is probably less painless than shooting a deer and missing a vital mark. The deer has to run around wounded until you can track it down and finish it off.

I gotta say that the khukri used was the biggest one I've ever seen. The dude could probably chop a small tree down with one blow.

#11 ·
All I can say was that with my khukri I just cut down 4 trees about 5 inch diameter (green) took at most 1 min a tree, then chopped through some oranges I tossed in the air with NO effort at all...I could NOT tell any sort of effort at all, then shaved my leg with the same blade.

Hows that for edge retention.

I love the blade and would trade it for nothing...except maybe a Busse or a vintage Ek Knife...and then I would just go back to HI and buy another one.

#12 ·
As a note...although Nepal has a high percentage of Hindis, that ceremony is a strictly Nepalese cultural ceramony and would not normally be attended by a Hindi (even though only specific cows, not all cows, are considered sacred in Hinduism). It is quite an impressive feat though, and the people who actually cut the head off of the cow (can't remember the specific name/designation for them) are very heavily trained and it takes an immense amount of skill to perform that cut in one clean swing.

--Wintermute

#13 ·
It is quite an impressive feat though, and the people who actually cut the head off of the cow (can't remember the specific name/designation for them) are very heavily trained and it takes an immense amount of skill to perform that cut in one clean swing.

--Wintermute
Definitely a lot of skill. Do you remember the scene in Apocalypse Now where the locals behead the cow with a several strokes. The scene was near the end of the movie when Willard finally meets up with Kurtz.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.