Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
More uncommon items in your backpack. maxwell2287 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 43 03-31-2019 12:00 PM
Winter only Items in your pack? joshiedoom Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 37 02-25-2019 10:16 PM
If you could only have 3 items in your Wilderness Survival pack, what would it be? Chris22 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 263 02-25-2019 09:18 PM
Recap of Uncommon Items In Your Bug Out Bag (BOB) UtahJackson Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 68 02-22-2019 03:55 AM
Nitrogen Pack Rice and other items caleb.rumeida Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 7 02-21-2019 09:43 PM
Top 3 valuable pack items under 100 grams? twyggy Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 75 10-15-2017 08:56 PM
WTT items wax/pack/club/optics Tundrascout Looking for - want to buy 2 03-22-2015 09:31 PM
Uncommon items at your BOL Cool Hand Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 14 01-14-2014 01:43 AM
How many people pack their little items in... Gunner65 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 30 10-11-2010 09:33 PM
Split your back pack items. MT Patriot Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 7 08-21-2009 08:56 AM

Old 09-14-2008, 04:24 PM

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by YurtBastendorf View Post
I came home from work one day to find the wife very upset. She went through my gear and found a pack of condemns in my first aid kit. I busted up laughing, she broke down crying. The lesson learned, pack a zip lock bag.
Thats funny. Did you explain why they were in there or....?
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2008, 05:53 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,008 Times in 633 Posts

I keep a few odd items in my pack, including;

1. Rubber bands. The main purpose I carry theses is for making an instant guilly suit. I slip the rubber bands over my clothing and use them to attach the grass and leaves.

2. A pool raft. It of course works as a cheep air mattress. I also plan on using it if I have to cross a river.

Keep the good ideas coming. I'm going to add a pencil sharpener. Thanks for the advice.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Black Knight For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2008, 06:00 PM
Backpacker I Adventurer

Thanked 1,352 Times in 470 Posts

Huh a pool raft for a cheap air mattress never thought of that. Wonder what the weight is on some of those
The Following User Says Thank You to Potantsuem For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2008, 08:23 PM

Havent made a BOB But if I did id definately grab my poncho, its got buttons that link up both sides which can easily be undone so it could cover me and my backpack, its waterproof and will help keep the wind off me, has a hood to keep my head dry (I think something like 70% of bodyheat is lost through your head!) and it has rings in the corners so it can be tied up and used as a tarp for a shelter or camp!

The only problem I have with it is it makes a rustling noise lol, not very good when out hunting or when trying to be quiet, but where noise isnt a concern its a good piece of kit!
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigthug87 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2008, 09:28 PM
Backpacker I Adventurer

Nice, I should get a pancho like that myself. Now my pack isn't a BoB. I'm a backpacker and adventurer. But forgot that in these forums when I say pack everyone goes to a BOB heh. But still getting a lot of interesting ideas.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Potantsuem For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2008, 09:33 AM
Wanderer

I have one that I forgot about and found it this week end while checking the pack. I have a green laser, laser pointer and batteries runs off 2 AAA. If you are hiking and lost great for signaling can be seen even in day light or at night it has a hell of a range. At night you can see the beam in the sky and it could be followed back if someone did see it.

D.

Last edited by d6165; 09-15-2008 at 09:34 AM.. Reason: Typo
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to d6165 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2008, 10:36 AM

To save my flashlight batteries at night or in dark, cramped places I habitually carry three or four non-IR 12 hr cyalume sticks in my pack. They are easy to pack and weigh nothing.
The Following User Says Thank You to MCLMM For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2008, 01:01 AM
Survivor

To start fires or signal I throw in a $1 fresnel lense from the dollar store. It weighs nothing and is flat as a sheet of paper, will reflect and in good sunlight start a fire.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gunny Webb For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2008, 01:36 AM
Backpacker I Adventurer

Chem lights are always a nice item to bring along while hiking. I usually keep a few at hand. WOrked wonders when I went spelunking last year in a cave that has been closed off to the public for 15 years. A friend and myself were the first people in there in 15 years. Those chem lights helped out lots in marking our rout, and scouting ahead by tossing them. Found a nice 35 foot drop that way.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Potantsuem For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2008, 11:51 AM

I also keep a crank flashlight/radio/cell phone charger no batteries included or required.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pathfinder85 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2008, 12:31 PM
Mountain Critter

Thanked 21,977 Times in 783 Posts

I usually carry a length of 7mm utility cord, a small firgure 8 rappel device ("personal escape 8" by SMC), three pretied prusik loops, and a locking carabiner. A loop of webbing, which has other uses as well, serves as an improvised harness. This setup has come in handy more than once when travelling in the mountains and needing to take an unexpected shortcut...
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FreedomoftheHills For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2008, 12:47 PM
I hear the bagpipes

In the backpack or BOB, I keep a small HAM radio, a Yeasu VX-5R. It is a 3 band TX, with 10 bands RX, so I can get shortwave with it also. I also carry a head net to keep insects away. I keep little gel packs with caffeine/carbs/protein like bicyclists use, as a last resort forced energy boost, in case of emergency. Iím sort of an old school Colin Fletcher type when it comes to backpacking, so Iím usually looking for ways to eliminate things from the pack to save weight.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GMDSS For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2008, 12:47 PM
Backpacker I Adventurer

I use to repel back in the Army. Scary, but amazing fun. I really should relearn how to make the harness and such from rope again. I've come across some amazing cliffs that would just be amazing to repell from. Not to mention I usually have a few hundred feet of strong climbing rope in my jeep.

Also a great way to get someone out if they happen to be injured and higher up on a trail, where a cliff might get them to water for easier evac.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Potantsuem For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2008, 12:51 PM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMDSS View Post
[SIZE=3]I also carry a head net to keep insects away.
Allthough probably not needed for your locaton but they are also good for defrostng snow in, above a pot
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to polar_bear For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2008, 01:08 PM
I hear the bagpipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potantsuem View Post
I use to repel back in the Army. Scary, but amazing fun. I really should relearn how to make the harness and such from rope again.
Also rapped from a few high spots. Learned to do it with nothing but rope first using Dulfersitz method. A couple of short lengths of good rope, and you can make prussik knots, so you can go up as well as down. I also carry a few biners and quick draw slings. Many uses for those.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GMDSS For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2008, 01:16 PM
I hear the bagpipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by polar_bear View Post
Allthough probably not needed for your locaton but they are also good for defrostng snow in, above a pot
I greatly miss snow and winter backpacking/camping. It's been over 90F every day for months here now, and I am so tired of it. Another Autumn on the way, and we can only look at photos of the turning leaves on the TV or internet. When snow camping, I always carried those little chemical handwarmer packets. You open them and expose them to air, shake them up, and they get hot for a few hours. I also carried zip lock bags to place gear in when transitioning in and out of warm tent/cold outdoors. This was to prevent condensation from getting into things such as radios, a camera, or a firearm.

Last edited by GMDSS; 09-16-2008 at 01:17 PM.. Reason: spelllling
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GMDSS For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2008, 01:27 PM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMDSS View Post
I greatly miss snow and winter backpacking/camping. It's been over 90F every day for months here now, and I am so tired of it. Another Autumn on the way, and we can only look at photos of the turning leaves on the TV or internet. When snow camping, I always carried those little chemical handwarmer packets. You open them and expose them to air, shake them up, and they get hot for a few hours. I also carried zip lock bags to place gear in when transitioning in and out of warm tent/cold outdoors. This was to prevent condensation from getting into things such as radios, a camera, or a firearm.
I recently bought one of those handwarmers where you place a bar of fuel inside then set it on fire. It works really well and if you light both sides of the fuel bar it gets really warm.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to polar_bear For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2008, 02:05 PM
Earthwalker.

Thanked 10,786 Times in 4,501 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Post Outstanding Post 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh4d0wm4573ri7 View Post
How bout a small pencil sharpener even in wet conditions makes it quite easy to obtain dry tinder to start you a fire
i keep one in my emergancy survival kit
Old 09-16-2008, 11:36 PM
Backpacker I Adventurer

Speaking of winter backpacking (which I'll be doing in a few weeks) an item i add to my pack during that time of year is a Pee bottle. Yes I said a pee bottle. Usually just a plastic quart bottle, most of the time from a chocolate milk container. Works great for when you need to urinate in your tent during the night as it would be foolish (and possibly deadly) to go outside of the tent to try and take a leak. Especially if you stripped down in clothing.

As well the pee bottle allows me to check the colour and smell of my urin to see how dehydrated I am. Not to mention that the warm urin can help you stay warm if you place the bottle (with lid secured tightly) in your sleeping bag after you use it. Just empty it in the morning.

Remember to recycle the bottle when you return home. There is no sense in reusing the same bottle over and over on trips.

Oh and for those of you who think I'm insane, they actually sell bottles designed for this very thing at Gander Mountain and other outdoor stores. It's a trick mountaneers use.
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Potantsuem For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2008, 11:45 PM
Displaced Texan

sometimes....I wish I had the ability to take advantage of what God gave you.
To pee in a bottle, by merely rolling over. Ahhh, the stuff of life!!!
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to texjen For This Useful Post: