If we enter a 1930s style depression would people be the problem or $? - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 03-28-2020, 07:47 PM

Advertise Here

Crime of all sorts, will increase. It already has in my City, which is normally lower in crime-rate, compared to most the USA, in general.
I am working on installing outside (and maybe inside) security cameras, and other security-related things.
Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2020, 08:54 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,096 Times in 2,848 Posts

We are seeing the shock right now, or have. Ppl never think that they are ever ready for this...and they are absolutely correct. Somehow they acclimate anyway. Do the s***bags go wild? Sure, of course. But they dont last, theres always a round for them waiting, then eternity.

Pro tip: consider yourself dead already, it gets much easier then. Whatever happens, we will survive it and move on. Then the next day...do it again...and again. I learned from actual survivors of that time as a kid, from people who were kids at that time. Poor kids. Scrapping by, thankful for the war but scared by it too for older brothers island hopping.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rural Buckeye Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2020, 08:30 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,295 Times in 2,585 Posts

The government and federal reserve pumping all this cash to banks, businesses and people is what is keeping the US from having a great depression right now.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Helion For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2020, 11:24 AM
Survivor

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is 2nd home - Rustbelt is home base
Thanked 4,894 Times in 1,562 Posts

Lots of good relies here. Read them on my tablet last night. Could not reply on the tablet, but thanks for all the input.

I had never thought about many of the comparisons made between the 30's and now that were brought up.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to slackercruster For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2020, 05:18 PM
Come and Take Them!

Thanked 7,664 Times in 2,219 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodyp View Post
People without money would be the problem.
How about our .Gov racks up so much debt, our currency collapses and money becomes worthless??? How would YOU fare in this scenario???
The Following User Says Thank You to alv7722 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2020, 11:09 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,209 Times in 2,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alv7722 View Post
How about our .Gov racks up so much debt, our currency collapses and money becomes worthless??? How would YOU fare in this scenario???
I wonder how many .22 shells a chicken is worth....or anything else.
The Following User Says Thank You to woodyp For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2020, 05:56 PM
Come and Take Them!

Thanked 7,664 Times in 2,219 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodyp View Post
I wonder how many .22 shells a chicken is worth....or anything else.
Perhaps a brick of .22 or an ounce of silver. Point is, few of us can be prepared for a currency collapse. As we approach $28-$30 Trillion in debt, it can be a real possibility.
The Following User Says Thank You to alv7722 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2020, 08:05 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,656 Times in 2,174 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP1776 View Post
Below is an excerpt from a book.......
Blah blah blah. Do YOU have an opinion/position on the subject?
Old 03-30-2020, 08:28 PM
statists' be statin'

Thanked 11,448 Times in 2,483 Posts

Does economic hardship result in more racism? Yes. I have felt a relaxing of racism since Trump took office. I don't think it's because of Trump vs. Obama. I think that when people are prosperous because of a good economy our attitudes are better and we treat others better - even others outside of our own group. But, when people are struggling, scared, and unhappy we take it out on those who are less like us. We still care about "our" people but not so much "other" people.

Add to that the fact that there will be more people who are truly desperate and willing to harm someone else to get what they believe they need. Any of us would more likely choose to harm someone outside of our tribe than within our tribe.

I don't think an economic downturn is going to spark a race war - only that we're going to see more incidences of racism and crime.
Old 03-30-2020, 09:59 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,925 Times in 1,349 Posts

A 1930s depression but with a global population that's at least three times larger, much higher resource and energy demands per person, increased arms deployment and firepower, greater effects of diminishing returns, high levels of ecological damage and on-going effects of global warming, and increased vectors for the spread of disease.
Old 03-30-2020, 10:16 PM

IMHO the answer would be people.

The first issue would be Tribes , Religious , political , social & straight up gangs which would include LEO's either retired or active.

Second issue would be food/jobs , some of us here could probably make do in a farming setting but most wouldn't. People today don't really understand work because most of it is done in an air conditioned cubicle. I live in a city but grew up in the country/swamp of Louisiana with my Gramps hunting snakes and whatever else.
Old 06-20-2020, 03:18 AM
Prepared

The 1930s depression was brought about by people living on credit and more people in cities then farms. But farmers and farm states were hit least hard until the dust bowl which did many in.

Ironically Ohio was outside of the dust bowl!
Old 06-20-2020, 03:24 AM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offrink View Post
I would love those that don’t have a job be put to work at a CCC or building new infrastructure. Tons of roads, bridges, electric, hydroelectric, water, reforestation that could/should occur.
That's how the Stimulus package started out under Bush then the liberals added a bit of this and then a bit of that before you knew it we had a monster 600 page book deal that was signed nobody read.

Bush's version was VERY small way down in the hundreds of millions but he caved in likely seeing his global plans of the Amero were not working out and had an opposite Congress not allowing him to get anything done (Typical since the 1980s) he handed it to the Obama communist people and said "Screw this".

Well later he actually stated that "Any President would have to do the same things I did" when asked why he did weird Democrat things and wouldn't elaborate further.

Obama's version was hundreds of TRILLIONS!! With a capital T to it. Go figure.

And not a SINGLE penny went to actual infrastructure projects. Most went to bosses of Unions and the unions didn't even benefit from it.

Knowing our luck Trump will continue to have an opposite Congress that railroads him then when in 2024 we get a bozo liberal we will have a bozo Republican Congress that blocks him so nothing but arguing happens! The other President will get the blame or credit. The 2024 President will get the blame or credit for whatever good or bad things happen in Trump's next election watch by 2023/2024.
Old 06-20-2020, 04:14 AM
Gumpherhooberpelt

Thanked 9,073 Times in 3,068 Posts

A man with a year's supply of food will outlive a man with a year's supply of money.
A man with two year's supply of food, will be very well off.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jetgraphics For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2020, 06:40 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,127 Times in 1,536 Posts

Different economies then vs now, it will be the jobs (and the lack thereof) which will limit or exacerbate this depression. Hence $.

“Nice” or not doesn’t make a difference, IMO, to “normal folk”. “Normal folk” recognize charity for what it is (either religion based or morally). Help those whom need help, due to circumstances beyond there control. Color/race/gender doesn’t enter into “normal folks” minds when considering helping others.

Evil folk, whom figure its allrite to take what isn’t theirs will soon run into problems of there not being enough willing to let them “take”. HOPEFULLY.

Evil folk may use color/race/gender etc to “try” to take from others. As a wedge/weapon, when they would be FAR FAR better served moving there color/race/gender etc into a better economic footing.

If we can (somehow) flip from a consumer based system back towards a production based system, and extremely quickly, the ramifications of the depression will be markedly limited.

If we don’t, won’t, or can’t, the depression may lag on longer than the Great Depression did. Which was about a decade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackercruster View Post
I had read about this topic on another forum. The person claimed we may enter a depression from 'the virus.' They said we would do worse now since we are not civilized as back in 1930. And civilized may be the wrong word. What was meant was we are not as nice, have much more guns, much more devision and hatred.

The discussion started out ok, but soon someone brought up white on black lynchings from back in the day. They said people were less civilized back then and nicer now. Then someone brought up all the black on black and black on white crime that was much worse than lynchings. And it went downhill from there.

What do you think? Would people problems be the main issue in a depression or is $$ the main problem?
Old 06-20-2020, 09:53 AM
Capability, not scenarios

Thanked 29,856 Times in 8,754 Posts

Will we enter a depression from all of this? Who knows? I think there's a nontrivial chance. There's an old saying: "A recession is when your neighbor loses his job; a depression is when you lose yours."

If we descend into a depression, the response will be three things in combination, I think:
  • 1. People will get "money" from the government.
  • 2. People will become more self-reliant.
  • 3. People will take from others who have what they do not.

Any evidence of the above?

• 1a. We already see evidence of #1 with the coronavirus payments. The government WILL step in as long as it can print money. After that, #2 and #3 will become more common.
  • 2a. Some (like us) will strive to be self-reliant. Not a large proportion, but I think more than we expect. We saw some signs of the unaware becoming less so with the threats of food shortages and the like. Not a majority, but a sizeable minority.
  • 3a. We see some of this in the form of looting. Will it become worse? If the source of funds (#1) dries up, expect it to get worse, especially in urban areas if food supplies become scarce or expensive.

My 2 cents.

There actually is an official survival guide, but you have to write it yourself - and edit it as the situation changes - and revise it as you learn from your mistakes - and start all over again when things change again. (AceScanner)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to goose3 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2020, 02:53 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,527 Times in 2,717 Posts

Most will revolve around where you live. I don't see much currency being available. Most of us have our money stashed in the bank, funds or property. I doubt the average family has more that a couple hundred dollars in the home. gold and silver are nice but may not be a good trade item. Most people will be bad, the more people the worse it will be. Should you live in a city, I think you are screwed. Racial issue will relate to organization and area. good people come in all colors but people tend to hang with people of their own color. Non-English speaking people will band together and be a major issue. If it gets really bad, my plan is gather the family close, Keep the garden going and put a few sand bags in strategic areas just in case. Ride out the storm as best we can with as little interaction as possible.
Old 06-20-2020, 06:57 PM
Patiently Waiting

Thanked 13,903 Times in 4,239 Posts

Without he trillions already created out of thin air to prop up the ‘economy’, the economy would be well down the sewer system by now and the 1930’s would look kinda nice.

The train wreck is still in motion. Until international travel and unemployment figures go down somewhat, there is a lot of pain ahead for the whole world in the coming years.
Old 06-20-2020, 07:18 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,492 Times in 483 Posts
Default 1929 compared to 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackercruster View Post
I had read about this topic on another forum. The person claimed we may enter a depression from 'the virus.' They said we would do worse now since we are not civilized as back in 1930. And civilized may be the wrong word. What was meant was we are not as nice, have much more guns, much more devision and hatred.

The discussion started out ok, but soon someone brought up white on black lynchings from back in the day. They said people were less civilized back then and nicer now. Then someone brought up all the black on black and black on white crime that was much worse than lynchings. And it went downhill from there.

What do you think? Would people problems be the main issue in a depression or is $$ the main problem?
In 1929, the depression was a worldwide depression.

There were only 2.5 billion people in the world

Today in 2020 there are 7.5 billion people in the world.

Europe and Asia had it worse than we did in America.

In 1929 80% of the working American public worked in agriculture, most on small farms, specializing in truck crops.

In 2020 2% of the working Americans are involved in agriculture, most on large farms specializing in cash crops

In 1929 there was still plenty of food as most of the country was rural, just no money.

In 2020, there would likely be plenty of money but it would be worthless due to hyper-inflation.

For this reason, it is unlikely that countries who currently sell us food ,(like Mexico) would help.

People in this country do not know how to grow food, repair machinery, maintain there homes or do much of anything. Hard work that was taken for granted in 1929 would be completely unacceptable to the majority of our population today.

WWII did not make the "Greatest Generation".

The depression made the "Greatest Generation."
Old 06-20-2020, 07:20 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 29,570 Times in 10,300 Posts

Paper money is worth its weight in toilet paper, the new bills will larger to make it easier to use as such.

Lot of people alive today never missed a meal. Unfortunately they can't shoot or catch dinner, clean and cook it, don't even consider growing food, or perhaps foraging. Plus they all addicted to antibiotics and preservatives in processed foods.

How many people make or fix stuff? - buy it, use it once and then throw it away is the norm.

The first winter after the collapse will thin the herd. Skills and knowledge are the lightest things to pack on your back
The Following User Says Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post: