Liquor stores running out of Everclear - homemade hand sanitizer - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 03-24-2020, 04:09 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 10,408 Times in 3,208 Posts

Advertise Here

Everclear and GEM made right here
Have some stacked-up
It has many uses
I do not drink it
Great prep
Lasts forever
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Jack Swilling For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2020, 04:22 PM
Possum Lover

Thanked 27,951 Times in 10,016 Posts

OK, those who know scroll.

He was drinking straight everclear. He has blackouts and/or gets delusions when drinking. We have separate bedrooms.

He decided he had to urinate, and my bedroom was the toilet. Now, he has peed in literally every room of the house and I don't mean that as a compliment.

I had a lava lamp, it was on a stand, glass. I heard a crash and found him standing next to it, on the floor, surrounded by broken glass, in his bare feet. He felt the toilet was in the corner of my bedroom and attempted to head over there, about to step on the broken glass.

I pulled him back and tried to explain but he was non verbal by then and very hostile, combative, he tackled me (this is when he got around better), threw me into the bed, which broke, mattress collapsed on the floor, he is on top of me BITING me, hit me a couple times in the face. I was black and blue for weeks.

And I am lying there thinking "I can't hit him back because he is a cripple with a head injury". I smacked him over the head with a tennis shoe, after he hit me in the face.

I then told him the police were on the way (I SHOULD have called them, one of the great regrets of my life), and called my aunt and uncle instead.

My uncle saw I had been beat up and figured there had to be a "reason" for it, went in, my husband thought he was the officer, explained I wouldn't let him urinate (on my bed). Oh, that made total sense and OK of course to beat Heather up. Who wouldn't?

They let me stay with them a few days then threw me back to him. Later on, they let a less-related family member live with them for years after she got thrown out by her mother for assaulting her sister. I was OK with their decision until then. I was a victim, the other girl was not.

Never, at one point, was it mentioned I had been ATTACKED, the victim of probably a felony. Never was it suggested we call the police and file charges. Never once was it seen as unacceptable to send me back to him.

They just got him to promise stop drinking Everclear and that was good enough. After all, I had vending machines to fill and SOMEONE had to take care of him.

Yes, I am bitter. It was handled all wrong, I should have gone to the women's center and charges filed on him. He has never taken me seriously since. And who can blame him? I came back... I didn't have any choice but I did come back so that gave tacit approval.

So no,not a fan of everclear.

He made an emergency liquor run today because they are shutting down Houston tonight. Vodka and whiskey but no Everclear... he knows better than to try.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:02 AM
VIP Member

Go to Lowe's, home Despot or hardware store and get some denatured alcohol. Same as ever clear except poison added so you can't drink it. Same as methelated spirits mentioned on page 1. All alcohols are considered skin irritants. That's why you add a soothing agent.
On a separate note showing the idiocity of youth we used to get a watermelon, cut a small plug out of it then pour in a quart bottle of PGA. Put in fridge for a while then dig in. Probably enough to make me got to Florida for spring break during a pandemic
Old 03-25-2020, 04:59 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,696 Times in 2,541 Posts

You use just a small amount of alcohol when you use hand sanitizer. And i imagine most just evaporates off. But some is absorbed thru the skin. Methanol is a poison and there are warning to avoid skin contact. So using methanol as a hand sanitizer seems like a bad idea. Not going to hurt you immediately and the dose is very small but i need all the brain cells I've got.
Old 03-25-2020, 06:09 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,647 Times in 849 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkerbuster View Post
I use a combination of these 3 items to make hand sanitizer.
Here's a list of required ingredients to make your own hand sanitizer:

2/3 cup of rubbing alcohol
1/3 cup aloe vera gel
5-10 drops of essential oil (optional)
Mixing bowl
Spoon
Funnel
Two-ounce spray bottle or liquid soap container
Masking tape and pen or marker for labeling the container (or adhesive labels)

Directions:

Pour the alcohol and aloe vera in a bowl and stir until blended. Add several drops of essential oil and stir to help mask the smell of alcohol. Use the funnel to pour the eight ounce mixture into containers, then affix the strips of marked masking tape (or adhesive labels) to identify the bottles' contents.

source here:
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/hand-sa...make-your-own/
The Following User Says Thank You to KLF For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2020, 03:49 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by big guy View Post
Go to Lowe's, home Despot or hardware store and get some denatured alcohol. Same as ever clear except poison added so you can't drink it. Same as methelated spirits mentioned on page 1. All alcohols are considered skin irritants. That's why you add a soothing agent.
On a separate note showing the idiocity of youth we used to get a watermelon, cut a small plug out of it then pour in a quart bottle of PGA. Put in fridge for a while then dig in. Probably enough to make me got to Florida for spring break during a pandemic
Looks like I apparently need to say I was wrong on this. I had read that the amount of methyl alcohol (5%) in denatured alcohol was not a concern for this use but after this was questioned I did more research and seems I was wrong.
Don't use denatured alcohol for hand sanitizer
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to big guy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2020, 04:46 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,696 Times in 2,541 Posts

My concerns were with the HEET gas line antifreeze another poster asked about. I understand that is practically all methanol. So much more poison than denatured alcohol which has 5%. And again we'd be dealing with very small amounts. But i see no problem being cautious when the alternative is as simple as washing your hands and that is even more effective though not as convenient.
I just emptied out a pocket sized sprayer of eyeglass cleaner to refill with rubbing alcohol. To use for spraying surfaces like shopping carts. We'll see if the sprayer hold up or if the alcohol evaporates off very fast.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dmas For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2020, 10:15 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,334 Times in 1,198 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paravani View Post
What we have in the States is called Everclear -- it's 95% ethyl alcohol, and we buy it wherever hard alcohol is sold. It has big warnings not to drink it straight up!
Living in Baton Rouge in 1985, I remember a news story of an LSU coed that died of alcohol poisoning from drinking 5 to 6 shots of Everclear in thirty minutes span at a campus bar.

That's enough alcohol to put a 200 lb. man down for the night.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vile Papist For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2020, 08:57 PM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 41,782 Times in 8,195 Posts

Went by a liquor store this evening to check on the Everclear - they were down to four bottles. Last week the shelf was almost full. I grabbed one of the smaller bottles to add to my medicine chest.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	everclear-3-27-2020.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	300436  
The Following User Says Thank You to kev For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2020, 10:07 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,205 Times in 2,112 Posts

It's ok. Tito's is starting to make hand sanitizer to give away.
The Following User Says Thank You to woodyp For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2020, 10:59 PM
Prepared

It's not hand sanitizer but if you are looking for a replacement for lysol or another household disenfectent try Lucasol concentrate. I scored the following today:

Lucasol concentrate gallon for 49.99 shipped. 2oz of lucasol mixed with a gallon of water makes a 130oz of cleaner for 78 cents a gallon. Lucasol is on the list of chems that will kill corona virus. At a time when you can't find lysol spray at all paying under a dollar for a gallon of cleaner that kills corona is a steal!
The Following User Says Thank You to BCseacow83 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2020, 05:35 AM
HMFIC

Thanked 2,133 Times in 734 Posts

I made my own hand sanitizer yesterday. The woman got a bottle of 91% rubbing alcohol, and a container of aloe vera. Did the 2/3-1/3 ratio, mixed up, added some smelly oil, and it made enough to completely fill an empty 8oz pump bottle of store bought sanitizer. Quick and easy, and should be enough to make more than 5 bottles of 8oz each.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EchoMirage For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2020, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoMirage View Post
I made my own hand sanitizer yesterday. The woman got a bottle of 91% rubbing alcohol, and a container of aloe vera. Did the 2/3-1/3 ratio, mixed up, added some smelly oil, and it made enough to completely fill an empty 8oz pump bottle of store bought sanitizer. Quick and easy, and should be enough to make more than 5 bottles of 8oz each.
Where the idea to use 33% of aloe vera comes from? WHO's guide lists about 1.45% glycerol.
Old 03-29-2020, 10:16 AM
HMFIC

Thanked 2,133 Times in 734 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLF View Post
Here's a list of required ingredients to make your own hand sanitizer:

2/3 cup of rubbing alcohol
1/3 cup aloe vera gel

5-10 drops of essential oil (optional)
Mixing bowl
Spoon
Funnel
Two-ounce spray bottle or liquid soap container
Masking tape and pen or marker for labeling the container (or adhesive labels)

Directions:

Pour the alcohol and aloe vera in a bowl and stir until blended. Add several drops of essential oil and stir to help mask the smell of alcohol. Use the funnel to pour the eight ounce mixture into containers, then affix the strips of marked masking tape (or adhesive labels) to identify the bottles' contents.

source here:
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/hand-sa...make-your-own/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denizen View Post
Where the idea to use 33% of aloe vera comes from? WHO's guide lists about 1.45% glycerol.
Old 03-29-2020, 10:24 AM
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denizen View Post
Several online sources recommend something to add moisture to the mixture.
Old 03-29-2020, 10:28 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,496 Times in 471 Posts

Going to set up a bunch of stills to start creating gallons of hand sanitizer. Going to call it hand sanitizer factory in bold letters.

Will make sure to donate a percentage of the proceeds to the police to help them out in these trying times.
Old 03-29-2020, 11:41 AM

At amazon.de aloe vera costs ten times more than glycerin (per liter) and you can make 3 L of hand sanitizer from 1 L of aloe vera (when mixed with 99% alcohol), whereas with glycerin you need only 15 mL for 1 L of hand sanitizer (topping up with distilled water if you use 99% alcohol).
Old 04-02-2020, 08:09 PM
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodyp View Post
It's ok. Tito's is starting to make hand sanitizer to give away.
Thank you, first I have heard of this.
Old 04-02-2020, 08:29 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,467 Times in 1,247 Posts

I have quite a few gallons of PSA (pure sugar alcohol) that magically appeared at my place. It is 95% or 190 proof however you want to look at it. I mixed some with 25% aloe vera gel and it does great. Drys out clean and not sticky. Does not dry my hands out so bad. I can tell you that just using 190 proof will strip the oils from your skin and dry it out bad.

Big advantage is that you can cut it with distilled water prior to the aloe. It goes great with tonic or ginger ale and cranberry.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hound Dog For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2020, 07:23 PM
Forum Administrator

Default Everclear for Coronavirus Hand Sanitizer

Went by the liquor store yesterday to get some Everclear. The store had just got a shipment in and had half a shelf of Diesel brand name everclear. Diesel is the same proof and alcohol content as brand name Everclear.

Grabbed one bottle, walked to the counter, mentioned to the lady I thought about buying two bottles. She said the owner of the store put a limit of one bottle per person. I told her something like, well that settles my question about getting two bottles.

2 ounce spray bottles are suppose to be here next week. After they arrive I am going to replace the refilled Germ-X bottles with spray bottles with Everclear.
The Following User Says Thank You to kev For This Useful Post: