If we enter a 1930s style depression would people be the problem or $? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 03-27-2020, 09:56 PM
Survivor

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is 2nd home - Rustbelt is home base
Thanked 4,894 Times in 1,562 Posts
Default If we enter a 1930s style depression would people be the problem or $?

Advertise Here

I had read about this topic on another forum. The person claimed we may enter a depression from 'the virus.' They said we would do worse now since we are not civilized as back in 1930. And civilized may be the wrong word. What was meant was we are not as nice, have much more guns, much more devision and hatred.

The discussion started out ok, but soon someone brought up white on black lynchings from back in the day. They said people were less civilized back then and nicer now. Then someone brought up all the black on black and black on white crime that was much worse than lynchings. And it went downhill from there.

What do you think? Would people problems be the main issue in a depression or is $$ the main problem?
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to slackercruster For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2020, 10:09 PM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 38,409 Times in 10,607 Posts

Nothing has changed down deep. People are basically no damn good.
Old 03-27-2020, 10:14 PM
Target Shooter

Thanked 1,045 Times in 327 Posts

Lynching wouldn't be an issue. Racism exists and will never end because some people are just idiots. Claims of racism today are more often unfounded than true.

There are so many people dependent upon the government tit for everything. So many people who can't provide for themselves and/or their families off the land. The handicap mentality so many people have. All the people that are owed something.

Dollars are just a tool people use in society. Hoes and rakes are tools people use in a garden.

Ultimately, it is the people.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to PromptCritical For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2020, 11:06 PM
Say when

Thanked 1,764 Times in 512 Posts

I think if anything it would just be black on white hate crimes just as much as white on black crimes.
I think they'd congregated into "gangs" and raid the white neighborhoods.
but, yeah, as far as if people in general are worse today then say 40 years ago, definitely.
parents these day don't care, they just let other people raise their kids, as long as they can get their time away from them.
some women, not all, but some would rather a daycare raise their kids so they can have their freedom, then on the weekends, have someone babysit their kids so they can go out and "unwind".
This world is in a bad way.
It's too damn bad.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cmo1037 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2020, 11:26 PM
Survivor

Thanked 14,208 Times in 3,820 Posts

WAY MORE people now then back in the 30,s, and we are out of $, IMO there will be MILLIONS of people looking for somethingto eat or steal, Even if we defeat this virus, we dont have the infrastructure , All the steelmills are gone, very little meds made here, clothes , tools electronics , car parts military parts, and a whole lot more come from other countries, our government did it but we were to busy enjoying all the cheap prices we just didnt care. Now we are up against a wall, and IMO we cant win this fight, I fear there will be blood spilled, and our country will not be able to come back from this, I hope im wrong but this is how I feel. JMO
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jimbowie1 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2020, 12:14 AM
Christian Patriot

Default If it comes to this...and it will

Below is an excerpt from a book written in the mid 1990's and most of what Tom Chittum spoke of through out the book is true to form today...lines are being drawn and they will be crossed....the pot is beginning to boil...as I was out and about today picking up one more fire arm..I stopped in the local small town wal-mart to top off the supplies. Not very packed...but those who were there had the look of feral dogs in their eyes...panic has set in for most and that is a recipe for what is coming...wait til you see the number of weapons that used to be sold in the state of California, when it was a red state.

The book is "Civil War II - The Coming Break Up of America.

The Tribal Armies of Civil War II

"Well, I don't know if they'll frighten the enemy or not, but they certainly frighten me." - Lord Wellington after inspecting his troops.

How will the armies that fight Civil War II come into being? Who will join them, and why, and where will they get their weapons? America is saturated with armed organizations that will blossom into the tribal armies of Civil War II: The Army, the Navy, the Air Force, the Marines, the Coast Guard, their reserve components, and fifty state national guards. The Border Patrol, the Secret Service, the BATF, the DEA, the FBI, the CIA and U.S. Marshals. All totalled, there are 46 civilian agencies of the federal government that have agents who carry guns and have the power to make arrests, (Harper's Magazine, "Harper's Index", June, 1995, p. 11.)

Don't go away; there's more. State police, county police, city police, housing police, transit police, Indian reservation police, prison guards, and private security companies. (And now for the tribal party animals!)
The Mafia, the Colombian cocaine cartels, Jamaican posses, The Ghost Shadows, the Flying Dragons, anti-Castro paramilitary units, Moslem terrorist cells, the Jewish Defense League, the Fruit of Islam, the Ku Klux Klan, neo-Nazis, the Christian Identity movement, armed religious cults, the Black Guerrilla Family, Crips, Bloods, the Gangster Disciples, the Black Disciples, the Latin Disciples, the Latin Kings, the Simon City Royals, the Mexican Mafia, the Big Time Criminals, Hispanics Causing Panic, the LA Boyz, the Netas, the Zulu Nation, the Jungle Boys, the Jungle Brothers, the Abdullahs, Los Solidos, the
Hazard Gang, the Nuestra Familia, United Raza, the Fresno Bulldogs, the Two Sixers, the Insane Deuces, the Insane Unknowns, 20 Love, the Bottoms Boys, the Vice Lords, the Harpys, the Aryan Brotherhood, the Aryan Nations, the White Patriot Party, the Michigan Militia, the Blue Ridge Hunt Club, the Alabama Militia, the Arizona Militia, the Butte County
Militia, the Indiana Militia, the Michigan Militia, the Montana Militia, the Georgia Militia, the Oregon Militia, the Colorado Free Militia, the Texas Constitutional Militia, the Carbineers, the Minnesota Patriots Council, the Texas Emergency Reserve, the Alabama Minutemen, the Special Forces Underground, Hell's Angels, Banditos, the Gypsy Jokers, Pagans, Warlocks, the International Posse, the Black Panther Militia, the Aryan Republican Army, White Aryan Resistance, the Islamic Liberation Army, the Freemen, skinheads, and other
armed groups too numerous to mention.

These fellows are not the sort of chaps one would invite to tea with Her Majesty. On the other hand, they are just the kind of all-American guys to play Civil War II from kickoff to champagne. These belligerent groups are almost all ethnically oriented, and our police departments are increasingly becoming ethnically oriented as well. Unless present trends reverse themselves, even the federal agencies and federal military will be racially oriented and polarized. Not a pretty picture. America is plainly splitting up into armed camps along ethnic fault lines, but no one seems to have noticed, certainly not the establishment media.

Why? To this witch's brew one must add all the firepower. First stir in the untold number of guns and heavy weapons in the hands of the armed forces and police. Then shovel in the estimated 200 million (Edward F. Dolan, Marc Aret, and M. Scariano, Guns in the United States, F. Watts Publishers, 1994, p. 8.) privately-held firearms, just about one for every adult in the United States of America. In California in 1993, 665,229 firearms were sold
legally. That's 1,873 per day. About two-thirds were handguns, which means that the remaining one third, or about 600 per day, were shotguns or rifles (Congressional Quarterly Research Reports, "Gun Control" by, Richard L Worsnop, Jan. 1994 to Dec. 1994, p. 507.). That means that every day in 1993 enough shotguns and rifles were sold in California to equip an infantry battalion. I say again: Every day in California, enough rifles and shotguns were sold to equip an infantry battalion ... an infantry battalion of Civil War II.
California is the odds-on favorite to kick off Civil War II, and one cannot disparage the Californians for lack of prepardness. And that's just the legal stuff. How much else is coming across the border and being sold on the black market?

Does this scare me...nope not all...for the Lord God Almighty, Jesus Christ spoke of these days....and the word of God was written long before Tom Chittum penned his book....

So do you believe the word of God or will you dismiss it.

2 Timothy 3:1-5

“Difficult Times Will Come”

1 But realize this, that in the last days difficult times will come. 2 For men will be lovers of self, lovers of money, boastful, arrogant, revilers, disobedient to parents, ungrateful, unholy, 3 unloving, irreconcilable, malicious gossips, without self-control, brutal, haters of good, 4 treacherous, reckless, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, 5 holding to a form of godliness, although they have denied its power; Avoid such men as these.

Pretty straight forward from the word of God...
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CP1776 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2020, 01:40 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,709 Times in 2,549 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmo1037 View Post
I think if anything it would just be black on white hate crimes just as much as white on black crimes.
I think they'd congregated into "gangs" and raid the white neighborhoods.
but, yeah, as far as if people in general are worse today then say 40 years ago, definitely.
parents these day don't care, they just let other people raise their kids, as long as they can get their time away from them.
some women, not all, but some would rather a daycare raise their kids so they can have their freedom, then on the weekends, have someone babysit their kids so they can go out and "unwind".
This world is in a bad way.
It's too damn bad.
Crime rates peaked about 1990. Rates are much lower now.
The Following User Says Thank You to dmas For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2020, 06:25 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,507 Times in 786 Posts

The love of money is the root of all evil.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to benson56 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2020, 06:46 AM

$$ would be worthless. 22lr and salt would be the new currency.

World needs more cats and dogs and less people.

Godspeed
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CapitalKane49p For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2020, 07:11 AM
Target Shooter

I don’t think you can separate the two. That’s like saying what is worse the dog or the bite?

The main difference between now and then would be that people are now less connected to where their food comes from. Where they could previously rely on their own hands to just get bye, now they will result to some of the extreme violence you are imagining.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Martial Lawyer For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2020, 11:02 AM
BASS

Thanked 3,435 Times in 1,290 Posts

Jim, Black on white crime happened just two miles away from us. Two men of color shot the white man they were trying to tie up and rob in his own home. The black neighborhoods are less than a mile away from him. It is in a white neighborhood he lives in.

SHTF we will be robbed for food and money. Whatever they can get. One black man was killed in his home just days ago. It wasn't even a robbery from what the news is saying. Late at night a car pulled up and a man got out, went up the front steps into the house and shot the man. He got back in the car and was driven away.

There will be blood if SHTF hard in many areas. Say alert and prepared. Keep your lights off and don't give away your position. Operational Security is very important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbowie1 View Post
WAY MORE people now then back in the 30,s, and we are out of $, IMO there will be MILLIONS of people looking for somethingto eat or steal, Even if we defeat this virus, we dont have the infrastructure , All the steelmills are gone, very little meds made here, clothes , tools electronics , car parts military parts, and a whole lot more come from other countries, our government did it but we were to busy enjoying all the cheap prices we just didnt care. Now we are up against a wall, and IMO we cant win this fight, I fear there will be blood spilled, and our country will not be able to come back from this, I hope im wrong but this is how I feel. JMO
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BASS For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2020, 11:36 AM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackercruster View Post
I had read about this topic on another forum. The person claimed we may enter a depression from 'the virus.' They said we would do worse now since we are not civilized as back in 1930. And civilized may be the wrong word. What was meant was we are not as nice, have much more guns, much more devision and hatred.

The discussion started out ok, but soon someone brought up white on black lynchings from back in the day. They said people were less civilized back then and nicer now. Then someone brought up all the black on black and black on white crime that was much worse than lynchings. And it went downhill from there.

What do you think? Would people problems be the main issue in a depression or is $$ the main problem?
Ok here is what i did i went to google searched for depression era numbers.
Our unemployment levels are right there due to the virus.
Our debt levels are way beyond the GDP can pay back our companies are struggling and getting into deeper debts.

so the answer is overall people are the problem.
People being so debt drunk they wont pay or can never pay the debts down.
CEOS never "Helping" the company just themselves to the companies monies.
Jobless rate numbers percentage wise people surpassed the percentage rates of the great depression. (worry here!)
People still are not folllowing the cdc recommendations to stop this virus.
ever see the movie the stand? it could get that bad.

Solutions?
We must be absolutly proactive about our health there is not a question about it.
We must convinve the CEOS to be their own bail out for teh companies they are running some how. face it the stimulus is a poison pill for business to thrive.
We the people coming together is what the government fears and it must be done.
D~W
The Following User Says Thank You to Draqwraith For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2020, 12:28 PM
Indefatigable

Thanked 46,111 Times in 14,104 Posts

I think the IF can be changed to WHEN. And yeah, this time will be worse for many reasons. In the 30's most people didn't want to take their enemies with them when they died and the government wasn't willing to sacrifice a 1/3 of the population to regain order.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jojo For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2020, 12:35 PM
That'll be the day...

Thanked 11,414 Times in 2,386 Posts

My father was born in 1928 in the western US. By the age of 5 to 7, his father didn't live with the family, but was out and about working whatever job he could find. My grandmother would hand my father five .22LF rounds on Saturday and Sunday morning and dad was expected to bring home at least three animals out of 5 shots. They lived off the land and ate a lot of rabbit, quail and dove. When he was six years old, he scored BIG by shooting a young Javelina in the eye socket for an instant kill.

Now... how would today's population fair in regard to basic survival? Not well. Would societal issues be a bigger deal than killing a rabbit.... you better believe it! If it gets really horrible, then martial law wouldn't do much to protect anyone from crime.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Big_John For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2020, 01:02 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,209 Times in 2,114 Posts

People without money would be the problem.
The Following User Says Thank You to woodyp For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2020, 01:18 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,740 Times in 1,206 Posts

I would love those that don’t have a job be put to work at a CCC or building new infrastructure. Tons of roads, bridges, electric, hydroelectric, water, reforestation that could/should occur.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Offrink For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2020, 01:25 PM
Honyock

Thanked 1,337 Times in 436 Posts

The depression of the 1930s was made worse and longer by government policies that restricted/reduced the amount of money in circulation. My dad was 22 in 1932 so he lived the depression. He said there was no money to be earned. People needed and wanted to work, people and businesses needed to hire workers but had no money to pay. He said if there was money, a dollar for a full day of work was common. That is not work as considered in today's world. This was mostly manual labor, no machine help 12 - 14 or longer hours a day.

They survived on barter, I'll work today from sun up to sun down for a bushel of corn or wheat or potatoes or what ever.

Families had large gardens and raised and canned vegetables. They might trade some for salt and other things.

Today, there is too much money so it is nearing worthless. Another two trillion !!!! dollars pushed into the economy might help some individuals but will push inflation higher.

In the longer term, federal debt and inflation is the most likely cause of SHTF. Research Argentina for a lesson.

We spend time here discussing our favorite subject and we should all .....Be Prepared !
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gordon Randal For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2020, 06:22 PM
BASS

Thanked 3,435 Times in 1,290 Posts

I have mentioned the CCC's many times here. My father was in it. I agree there are many jobs the CCC's or like group would certainly help this country do. Much needed work could be done. Thanks, Offrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offrink View Post
I would love those that don’t have a job be put to work at a CCC or building new infrastructure. Tons of roads, bridges, electric, hydroelectric, water, reforestation that could/should occur.
The Following User Says Thank You to BASS For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2020, 06:39 PM
Adventurer

Thanked 1,511 Times in 458 Posts

I'll be the one to break the political correct barrier of this topic.....

In the 1930's great depression the US was a very WHITE nation. Blacks were terrified to step out of line at all (with good reason). So homogeneous nature of the population allowed the country to still function.

Nowadays we have a population of inner city folks, mostly black and mestizo that is bursting at the seams. A HUGE % of these people do not work, and they live in neighborhoods that thrive on crime and drugs.

In these modern times, when Non-white people feel that they are owed something, or want something..... or just simply feel unhappy about something...... They are not afraid to take to the streets and riot....... They will burn down their own neighborhoods, flip cars, rape, loot, and randomly attack strangers in the streets. Think the LA riots of the early 90's...... All due to an unfavorable (and obviously WRONG) not guilty verdict of a few a-hole white cops.

If we were to truly have a 1930's style depression the cities would burn. a mini SHTF would take place nationwide as millions of non-whites would take to the streets en masse.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Klbsa For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2020, 07:01 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,802 Times in 1,198 Posts

people today are far less prepared to live without the conveniences than in 1930. back then practically everyone had a garden or if you lived in the city, a vegetable man drove down the street and you could get fresh produce. i see women on facebook going out of their minds that they cant find babywipes...what on earth did women do for tens of thousands of years without them? they cant figure out how to live...if you ve been fortunate enough, you ve had a garden or had a parent or grandparent teach you some basic life skill...but most of america? doomed...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to francessanne For This Useful Post: