Respiratory Protection for Airborne Exposures to Biohazards - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 03-09-2020, 02:10 PM
I am interrogative, yes.

Thanked 2,170 Times in 541 Posts

Advertise Here

What if you put a used (assumed to be contaminated) N95 mask in a box with a ozone generator for a few hours? Would it be virus-free and usable again?
Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2020, 03:13 PM
Wile E Coyote, Genius.

Thanked 82,143 Times in 23,830 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayFoal2 View Post
What if you put a used (assumed to be contaminated) N95 mask in a box with a ozone generator for a few hours? Would it be virus-free and usable again?
Ozone will destroy the elastic and also degrade the mask material. No way to know when it has lost its efficacy. Might get lucky once or twice.

Heat or alcohol I think would preserve the material better and still kill the bugs.
The Following User Says Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2020, 09:29 PM
The Black Death

Hospitals reusing masks. Disinfecting with UV light!

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/20/h...sks-reuse.html

/QUOTE/

No one thinks reuse of face masks is ideal, and the practice may raise legal liability issues. But there seemed to be little choice.

Doctors and administrators at the University of Nebraska Medical Center calculated that if they continued to use masks only once, they would run out of masks in just weeks.

“We are making the best of bad choices,” said Dr. Mark Rupp, the medical center’s chief of infectious diseases.

He feels confident that the masks will still protect health care workers. “The data is very clear that you can kill and inactivate viruses with UV germicidal irradiation,” he said. “It is also very clear that you will not damage the respirators.”

The alternative, Dr. Lowe said, would be to ask health care workers to carefully store their masks and reuse them without cleaning them. Handling a mask repeatedly also increases the chances that it will be contaminated.
The Following User Says Thank You to ForumSurvivalist For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2020, 12:48 AM
Wile E Coyote, Genius.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForumSurvivalist View Post
Hospitals reusing masks. Disinfecting with UV light!

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/20/h...sks-reuse.html

/QUOTE/

No one thinks reuse of face masks is ideal, and the practice may raise legal liability issues. But there seemed to be little choice.

Doctors and administrators at the University of Nebraska Medical Center calculated that if they continued to use masks only once, they would run out of masks in just weeks.

“We are making the best of bad choices,” said Dr. Mark Rupp, the medical center’s chief of infectious diseases.

He feels confident that the masks will still protect health care workers. “The data is very clear that you can kill and inactivate viruses with UV germicidal irradiation,” he said. “It is also very clear that you will not damage the respirators.”

The alternative, Dr. Lowe said, would be to ask health care workers to carefully store their masks and reuse them without cleaning them. Handling a mask repeatedly also increases the chances that it will be contaminated.
Fact not in evidence.

UV destroys polypropylene over repeated exposure.
Old 03-21-2020, 03:25 PM
The Black Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme11 View Post
Fact not in evidence.

UV destroys polypropylene over repeated exposure.
I appreciate the correction. I'm not sure what that level of reuse is (probably less than 10) but I am sure they know of the destruction of polypropylene by UV light and consider it minimal for their conditions.
The Following User Says Thank You to ForumSurvivalist For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2020, 11:23 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,387 Times in 722 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme11 View Post
Ozone will destroy the elastic and also degrade the mask material. No way to know when it has lost its efficacy. Might get lucky once or twice.

Heat or alcohol I think would preserve the material better and still kill the bugs.
I use a ozone generator on my Cpap mask and hoses and the elastic has not been hurt over 6 months of use.

Most bandanas may be just as good as a N95 mask and seal better if you tie a knot for below the chin.
Old 03-22-2020, 11:45 PM
Wile E Coyote, Genius.

Quote:
Originally Posted by augoldminer View Post
I use a ozone generator on my Cpap mask and hoses and the elastic has not been hurt over 6 months of use.

Most bandanas may be just as good as a N95 mask and seal better if you tie a knot for below the chin.
I doubt your CPAP mask and hose are made of Polypropylene.
Most plastics are quite hardy with respect to UV and ozone, but Polyproylene fails much faster. Add to that the fact that the fibers in a mask are quite small diameter, and more susceptable to surface attack.

Lastly, your mask and hose are likely treated with some chemical soup of plasticizer, UV stabilizer, free radical traps, etc.

i would have to look up the reason why PP is so susceptible to attack, but it is.

I had a cheap bucket made of the stuff on my boat, under the seat in mostly shade.

At the end of the season I decided to take it off the boat. I grabbed for ir and all I got was a handful of crumbs smaller than grains of sand.

It was amazing. It still was standing there, looking like a bucket, yet it was not strong enough to lift its own weight. Several more attempts to very gently pick it up so I could throw it away without making a mess failed. Each time it would disintegrate further until it was just a pile of crumbs for me to sweep up.

Now I am sure that bucket would still function like a bucket for a month or two. But at some point it became a bucket shaped mirage.

I have had lots of polypropylene fails over the years. Lawn chair webbing, rope, sail ties, Probably cheap bungee cords, etc.

Hard to say when it will fail exactly. But it will look just fine and dandy one day, and then completely fall apart.

Here is an article I found on a quick search.

https://www.servicethread.com/blog/t...ster-explained

I tend to equate UV exposure with ozone exposure, which may or may not be valid. I think it sort of is, but haven't dived that deep into it.

https://www.craftechind.com/top-8-ozone-safe-plastics/

Looking up what type of plastic is used in CPAP hoses, all I found was it is either PP or PE.

"Composition: Standard PAP hoses are typically made from materials like polypropylene or polyethylene"
Old 03-24-2020, 09:35 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,642 Times in 2,510 Posts

My surgical nurse niece says they get fit tested for n95 masks every year. They have a hood over your masked head and introduce an odorant. I f you don't smell anything fit is ok.
Fit is very important and bad fit is a major reason n95 masks are not recommended for the general public. Looking at pictures you see many medical personnel with badly fitted masks, actual visible gaps between mask and face.
Old 03-24-2020, 11:23 PM
Prepared

Lots has been written on this topic. Viruses like H1N1 and covid19 are usually broadcast through respiratory droplets, since the viruses have evolved to infect and inhabit the human respiratory system. When a person sneezes, coughs, blows their nose, spits, or in some way ejects respiratory droplets, the droplets will carry the virus. If someone inhales the droplets or the droplets get into someone's eyes, the virus can inhabit the person's respiratory tract and reproduce, which can lead to symptoms that are common to the viral infection.
You don't necessarily have to filter out the virus, as long as you can filter out the respiratory droplets that carry the virus. I wear safety glasses that seal around my eyes to protect them from the virus, and I use an N95 mask that is well fitted, to protect my nose and mouth.
Since a person can transport the virus from their hands to their eyes, nose, or mouth, wearing gloves and/or washing hands thoroughly is also necessary.
Also, when a person sneezes, coughs, or in some other way broadcasts respiratory droplets, the concentration of droplets lessens as the distance from the broadcasting orifice increases, in a manner that is similar to the inverse square law. In other words, if the concentration of droplets is X at distance Y from the broadcasting orifice, if the distance Y is doubled, the concentration X decreases by a factor of four. If distance Y is quadrupled, then concentration X becomes about X/16.
There have been studies done at the CDC to determine how long a certain type of virus can survive if its respiratory droplet lands on different materials. Basically, you should assume that anything you touch in an infected area contains live virus capable of infecting your respiratory tract, which is why wearing gloves and washing your hands is so important.
Best practice is to stay away from infected places and people. If you can't do that, wear mouth, nose, eye and hand protection, and if you hear someone cough or sneeze, move rapidly in the opposite direction to increase distance and decrease droplet concentration. It's also important to know that respiratory droplets are very small and can be transported on air currents over fairly long distances, so if you're in a Walmart and you hear someone cough, the store's ventilation system can carry them to you if the air currents lead in your direction.
The Following User Says Thank You to clingmansdome For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2020, 11:52 PM
Prepared

Any prepper should research how infectious diseases spread, since if there's catastrophe that overwhelms medical facilities, every person is responsible for ensuring their ability to stay healthy and productive, and prevention is much better than cure.
Having a large stock of surgical gloves, N95 respirators and industrial filter masks is a wise prep for the flu season every year. Face shields, goggles, and a HAZMAT suit or two is just a common sense prep. When I read about people dying when a ammonia railroad car crashed, I bought an oxygen mask and a tank big enough to keep me going for an hour so I could survive some kind of airborne threat.
All the food and fuel in the world won't do you any good if you can't move because of sickness, or you croak because something hazardous goes airborne.
The Following User Says Thank You to clingmansdome For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2020, 04:19 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,642 Times in 2,510 Posts

On another thread safety glasses were kind of described as better than nothing for infection control. That is correct according to cdc. Indirect vented goggles are needed and described here along with other eye protection.
https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/eye...nfectious.html
The Following User Says Thank You to dmas For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2020, 03:52 PM
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

It's not about protecting ourselves, its about them controlling. Remember that Liberals "never let a crisis go to waste"
Old 04-28-2020, 05:12 PM
Wrong Side of Heaven

Thanked 6,717 Times in 2,419 Posts

Well I was down to my last few masks in my responder bag and opened up my medical drum storage. I didn't realize what a great deal I got on these, They are about 2 years old stored in a drum and in the garage. I will update if I have any elastic issues.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ImStillHere For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2020, 11:52 AM
Prepared in NH

Thanked 5,607 Times in 3,397 Posts

Good Info (including pictures) on how to identify (and avoid) counterfeit masks:

https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npptl/user...rfeitResp.html

https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npptl/user...ionalTips.html
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NHCraigT For This Useful Post: