Mtn Wilderness Survival Retreat Experiences with 60 + pics - Page 59 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pictures of your bug out retreat/permanent wilderness shelter Psyclops DIY - Do It Yourself 6 07-07-2016 06:22 AM
New pics on my remote mtn survival retreat (2013 - Pic Heavy ) Mtnman Mike Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 119 11-19-2014 07:16 PM
Nice cabin pics where I worked & mtn retreat I Lived Summer 2010 ( Pic Heavy ) Mtnman Mike Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 123 06-17-2014 07:33 PM
A Real Wilderness Retreat Akita Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 0 08-18-2013 06:00 PM
New Pics of my mtn Survival Retreat Mtnman Mike Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 413 05-31-2013 01:19 PM
New pics showing more of my BOL / mtn retreat, bunker and Solar setup (pic heavy) Mtnman Mike Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 26 04-08-2013 08:03 PM
Illinois Wilderness Retreat Project! ForrestSpaceModule Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 20 02-26-2012 08:51 AM
Wilderness camp program experiences? smallbrat Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 0 01-11-2011 09:26 PM
Long-term survival. Wilderness and rural retreat. Le Loup Australia and New Zealand 0 07-22-2009 09:56 PM

Old 12-26-2019, 09:10 PM

Advertise Here

How's your snowpack at your property MMM? It's well below normal where I'm at here in Montana. That being said normally our heaviest snowfall is yet to come (Jan-March).
Quick reply to this message
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hunter1000 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2019, 11:14 PM
Tested in the Wilderness

Thanked 25,554 Times in 5,112 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter1000 View Post
How's your snowpack at your property MMM? It's well below normal where I'm at here in Montana. That being said normally our heaviest snowfall is yet to come (Jan-March).
A question and from someone who I don't think I have ever seen before. Like I almost always do I will answer especially relevant, good and respectful questions. Since I left my land on Nov. 29th the only way I can know how much snowpack and the temps up there is to check this site which is a snow survey ( snotel ) station about half a mile from my land. The guy from FL - cavedweller - saw that station when we went up there the day before he went back to his warm snow free state. Here is the link to that snow survey station which I check at least once a week until June > https://wcc.sc.egov.usda.gov/reportG...ue,TOBS::value
To see the current snow depth and temperature just scroll to the bottom of the page.

If any looked at that link they can see that it has not snowed too often until the past 48 hours and looks like the station and my land got at least 11 inches of new snow. It now says 57 inches of snowpack which is probably about normal. If it gets up to 120 inches of snowpack and more which it did last winter then that would be above normal.

I am almost certain that I will be going up there in February 2020 with the friends with snowmobiles. Mainly I will shovel the snow off the vehicles and especially off of the camper trailer. I left a tall strong metal ladder on the back of the trailer. With so much snow up there it probably would not matter if I fell off the roof with probably six or so feet of snowpack by then. I will try to not fall off the roof though. I also hope to find some reasonably priced new snowshoes in this WY city. It is not a very big city but there should be snowshoes for sale somewhere. Later MM Mike
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2019, 06:49 PM

MMM glad you are well and in good spirits. nevermind the curmudgeons, this is your journey. and thank you for sharing your trials with us. rest well, keep warm and be happy. we are rooting for you.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to angerhater For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2019, 03:20 PM
Prepared

Let me say that after reading perhaps the last 10 to 15 pages of your adventure I do admire your tenacity and never give up the dream attitude. It is not an adventure that I would ever consider as I absolutely hate cold weather and living any further north than I already do, which is in the deep south, is not something I would do unless it was forced upon me.

All that being said I do question some of your stances on accepting advise from others. I am not saying that you should accept and implement it all but it seems as if you are even unwilling to listen and try any of it, even after experiencing less than desired results over the years. That makes no sense to me as if what you have been trying doesn't have the desired outcome year after year, expecting a different outcome without a change in actions just isn't likely to happen.

I hope you don't label me as a troll just because I see a weakness in your plan based on the history of how it has worked in the past. As I am not familiar with the area and the weather and such I offer no concrete steps that you should take on your next adventure but I would suggest the following as you wait out the weather for your next attempt next year.

Spend this time reviewing all that you have tried both that which has worked and that which has not. Anything that hasn't worked remove from you plans at least for now. Figure out what are the most important task that will help you achieve your goal and order them in most to least important. Also while you have this down time perhaps there are some steps you can take now while you wait. Perhaps some prefab that you can do and keep in storage until you can try again so that you are spending less time doing some bare basics and prep and can move right into assembly on your next attempt. Also with a storage unit you could go ahead and get most of your initial supply shopping done, that way if you get more people to come help it can be with actual construction and less with going shopping. Also write down and design on paper each of these so you have it all laid out and next time it can be more of an assembly process and less of a design process.

Based on how much money it appears you are using on this adventure perhaps it would make sense to budget some to hire some help at the beginning of your next attempt to have a crew go help you build the basics that you need to complete in order to succeed next time. There is no shame in hiring help for getting a building up quicker or bringing in some equipment to make the job more manageable and neither should diminish your success if they help you achieve said success.

All that being said I do like the pictures of your area and wish you safety and good luck on your next attempt.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rlm1966 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2019, 04:51 PM
Tested in the Wilderness

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlm1966 View Post
Let me say that after reading perhaps the last 10 to 15 pages of your adventure I do admire your tenacity and never give up the dream attitude. It is not an adventure that I would ever consider as I absolutely hate cold weather and living any further north than I already do, which is in the deep south, is not something I would do unless it was forced upon me.

All that being said I do question some of your stances on accepting advise from others. I am not saying that you should accept and implement it all but it seems as if you are even unwilling to listen and try any of it, even after experiencing less than desired results over the years. That makes no sense to me as if what you have been trying doesn't have the desired outcome year after year, expecting a different outcome without a change in actions just isn't likely to happen.

I hope you don't label me as a troll just because I see a weakness in your plan based on the history of how it has worked in the past. As I am not familiar with the area and the weather and such I offer no concrete steps that you should take on your next adventure but I would suggest the following as you wait out the weather for your next attempt next year.

Spend this time reviewing all that you have tried both that which has worked and that which has not. Anything that hasn't worked remove from you plans at least for now. Figure out what are the most important task that will help you achieve your goal and order them in most to least important. Also while you have this down time perhaps there are some steps you can take now while you wait. Perhaps some prefab that you can do and keep in storage until you can try again so that you are spending less time doing some bare basics and prep and can move right into assembly on your next attempt. Also with a storage unit you could go ahead and get most of your initial supply shopping done, that way if you get more people to come help it can be with actual construction and less with going shopping. Also write down and design on paper each of these so you have it all laid out and next time it can be more of an assembly process and less of a design process.

Based on how much money it appears you are using on this adventure perhaps it would make sense to budget some to hire some help at the beginning of your next attempt to have a crew go help you build the basics that you need to complete in order to succeed next time. There is no shame in hiring help for getting a building up quicker or bringing in some equipment to make the job more manageable and neither should diminish your success if they help you achieve said success.

All that being said I do like the pictures of your area and wish you safety and good luck on your next attempt.
Ok I will try to answer all that you brought up. And I don't consider you a troll for several reasons. The first you have been a member here since 2008 a little longer than I. And you did not begin with blah, blah blah like the last true troll grunf did. I and a few others could see that grunf was a troll right off since he targeted me, seemed to join just to troll, had 4 accounts here and seemed to want to help but he played it well and seemed to fool many. I usually am not fooled although I tend to trust others until they say or do something that makes me lose that trust. Many like that on the net but fortunately still quite a few who are reasonable and respectful.

Many reasons I chose my mtn place the summer of 1987 but mainly it was not too far away from my parents who lived in N. CO. Also my land has the main basics - wood, water and wildlife. Plus plenty of remoteness, beauty etc. I really dislike mosquitoes and other biting insects. Insects up there mostly only from mid June to early Sept. And I like cold weather for the most part better than hot, humid weather. From 80 down to 20 degrees F. is my comfort zone. Below 20 F. then I do put on all the warm clothing possible plus use what heaters I have. As I did this past October and Nov.

Many don't seem to like my bunker but it is the best, most secure and strongest building I have. I think it will outlast most cabins around up there and there are dozens of cabins within a 3 mile radius.

And I am not unwilling to listen / read advice and even follow some advice. I likely did not make myself clear in past posts but almost all the advice I have gotten over the years I have already thought of that advice / ideas. And I cannot follow much advice since most people are too different from me I guess and my mountain place is very unique. Or the advice they give is too expensive for me. I have been in debt for 4 years in the past 40 plus years, mainly 3 years for my land and one year for a vehicle. NO more debt for me ever again.

No way I will rent a storage unit again. Faster and easier to have it even delivered as I did with the 100 sheets of plywood and much other lumber.
I might go into that more and more although the many many dozens of pics and a few videos should help show my mtn retreat's uniqueness.

And my moving to town has many reasons and planning, preparing, reviewing as well as I can in a city and so much more that I will not go into.

I am still trying to figure out what Failures I did as some try to convince me I failed this past summer. I must create a new pic info packed thread telling in detail what I really did from July 8 to Nov. 29, 2019.

My moving to the small city was not a failure but simply a change of plan. I just tried to stay up there as long as possible and I did stay at least a month longer than any other of the past 23 summers I have camped, worked and Lived up there.

About hiring help is that I did and the total cost of the hired help was more than $5,000 last summer. I did try to hire at least two guys and one said he would be up but then he would never call me back even though I called him quite a few times in Sept.
I likely will tell much more possibly in more detail about that hired help. Most over charged me but they also knew that I had no one else but to hire them.

The shopping that mainly cavedweller helped me with is more than I will tell for now anyway. I did buy quite a few supplies and some tools such as a larger gas generator and a drill driver which greatly speeded up my building the walls and roof. I did "only" get a roof over my old '79 pickup truck since it was the easiest and lowest vehicle to cover. I did get most of the walls put up and I will tell and probaby even show more later about all of that.

The more money I spend on hired help then the less money I have to buy more preps such as food etc etc. I do have at Least a one year supply of food. Probably 200 cans of food, many cans and bags - containers of Mountain House = most of the Mountain House is in the sealed 55 gallon steel drum to keep out mice to bears. Plus many cans of Augason Farms freeze dried food bought at the Ridleys grocery in Laramie and cavedweller helped with that although I also bought quite a bit last winter getting a pickup truck load to take up on July 8th.
Plus buckets of wheat, beans and some rice.
And two Augason Farms cans of vegetable seeds. At least 16,000 vegetable seeds stored in sealed cans, good for five or more years.

Any other questions from about anyone are welcome. Even advice If people feel / think they must give me advice. Someday I hope to get advice that I can really use. I have had some advice but as I have said I have already most likely have thought of it. The first advice I got was from the realtor guy who walked around with me over my land in July 1987. He told me that I could build a dug out into my hillside. I did not say anything but of course that is one more reason I bought the land and not because of the realtors advice which I had thought of since 1983.

More later as I get the time and inspiration to post more.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2020, 12:28 PM
Bear Magnet

Thanked 6,574 Times in 2,273 Posts

Hi Mike. I'm glad you're safe. I pretty much figured you wouldn't make it to Christmas for a few reasons.
If you're in Laramie you have several opportunities to improve your situation substantially. First of all, you could've rented a small apartment there for a lot less than you spent on the hotel room. I suggest you do this immediately.

With a Wyoming address you can get a Wyoming drivers license to begin establishing your legal residency. What this means is that next year you can buy a resident hunting license and fishing license.

Next? Get Wyoming plates on your new truck. I suggest you do this immediately.

I suggested last year that you rent a powered splitter and your response was "My neighbor has one." Big mistake bubba. All those logs laying on the ground are NOT firewood. You need to buck those logs into rounds, split them up and stack it so it will dry out. Cover it with a tarp too.

You have stated more than once that you have four wood stoves. Do you have brushes to clean the chimneys? Flue fires are a real bummer!

I will also suggest you get down town on second street to Basecamp and purchase some OFF TRAIL waxless cross country skis. Take them up to the Happy Jack trails and practice your @$$ off! Those are just east of town before you get to Veedawoo.
Great conditioning and lots of fun too. Great way to meet female members of the opposite sex.

There's plenty of work in Laramie Mike. Part time, full time and over time. Anyone not working in Laramie right now doesn't want to work. Stop spending your nest egg which could still be substantial if you sold your parents house. You can get free food at Interfaith Good Samaritan till you're on your feet. They're on Canby street just west of 9th street.

Stop paying full retail for the Augason Farms and Mountain House food. You can order it in bulk online at the links I sent you last year and have it delivered directly to your APARTMENT for a lot less than Wall of China Mart or Ridleys will charge you.
I suggest you do this immediately.

Last? Focus on being completely independent Mike. No more "Work crews" No more taxis or parasitic women. You've got that nice truck Mike. USE IT!! Learn basic carpentry skills. Basic electrical, plumbing and other tool skills. Get the US Forest Service chainsaw hand book. I watched your videos a few years ago of you using a chainsaw with horror! You definitely do NOT know how to use a chainsaw efficiently. Go to Coe library on campus for all or most of the reading resources you will need. Go to the plays at the Fine Arts facility. Get up to the Snowy Range Ski area west of town. Get out and get acquainted with Laramie Mike. There's so much to do and see there Mike.
I mean, really man? You sat in a hotel room watching netflicks for ten months last year? REALLY?

You have a tremendous opportunity Mike. I hope you take advantage of it. Good luck Sir, B
The Following User Says Thank You to biathlon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2020, 12:32 AM
Tested in the Wilderness

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by biathlon View Post
Hi Mike. I'm glad you're safe. I pretty much figured you wouldn't make it to Christmas for a few reasons.
If you're in Laramie you have several opportunities to improve your situation substantially. First of all, you could've rented a small apartment there for a lot less than you spent on the hotel room. I suggest you do this immediately.

With a Wyoming address you can get a Wyoming drivers license to begin establishing your legal residency. What this means is that next year you can buy a resident hunting license and fishing license.

Next? Get Wyoming plates on your new truck. I suggest you do this immediately.

I suggested last year that you rent a powered splitter and your response was "My neighbor has one." Big mistake bubba. All those logs laying on the ground are NOT firewood. You need to buck those logs into rounds, split them up and stack it so it will dry out. Cover it with a tarp too.

You have stated more than once that you have four wood stoves. Do you have brushes to clean the chimneys? Flue fires are a real bummer!

I will also suggest you get down town on second street to Basecamp and purchase some OFF TRAIL waxless cross country skis. Take them up to the Happy Jack trails and practice your @$$ off! Those are just east of town before you get to Veedawoo.
Great conditioning and lots of fun too. Great way to meet female members of the opposite sex.

There's plenty of work in Laramie Mike. Part time, full time and over time. Anyone not working in Laramie right now doesn't want to work. Stop spending your nest egg which could still be substantial if you sold your parents house. You can get free food at Interfaith Good Samaritan till you're on your feet. They're on Canby street just west of 9th street.

Stop paying full retail for the Augason Farms and Mountain House food. You can order it in bulk online at the links I sent you last year and have it delivered directly to your APARTMENT for a lot less than Wall of China Mart or Ridleys will charge you.
I suggest you do this immediately.

Last? Focus on being completely independent Mike. No more "Work crews" No more taxis or parasitic women. You've got that nice truck Mike. USE IT!! Learn basic carpentry skills. Basic electrical, plumbing and other tool skills. Get the US Forest Service chainsaw hand book. I watched your videos a few years ago of you using a chainsaw with horror! You definitely do NOT know how to use a chainsaw efficiently. Go to Coe library on campus for all or most of the reading resources you will need. Go to the plays at the Fine Arts facility. Get up to the Snowy Range Ski area west of town. Get out and get acquainted with Laramie Mike. There's so much to do and see there Mike.
I mean, really man? You sat in a hotel room watching netflicks for ten months last year? REALLY?

You have a tremendous opportunity Mike. I hope you take advantage of it. Good luck Sir, B
Yet another post from someone who thinks they know what is best for me although I think it is just more of someone trying to make themselves look all wise and trying to make me look foolish. Fine if that makes some happy but wow, I am getting so sick and tired of seeing so many posts over the past month or so and even some private messages from the all wise know-it-alls.

I could spend / waste at least an hour going thru biathlon's long harsh post answering each point and why I have not, will not and cannot follow much if any of his advice.

I will try to answer a few things but I really don't have the time or inclination to spend or waste so much time on the net and specifically this S-boards. I have posted in some other threads also putting in anything that I have learned and have done over the years. One of my last posts in the general Disaster area discussion secton I posted what I know and have done with candles. I have posted a few times about that as I have posted in several places. But it is all likely wasting my time and energy posting and even reading much anywhere on the net.

And biathlon I considered you a friend in 2012 when I met you in person. Even last May when you had come to drive me around Laramie. But after your long rant I am doubting you and also many others are really my friends. I also wonder If there is another thread on this S-boards where someone has been given so awful much harsh advice similar to all of the overly harsh advice I have received the past year or so. Likely some places on the net but I don't care about almost all of the net. And why I likely will go off grid even if I am still in some city until June.

Is it Really possible to rent any kind of apartment for less than $600 a month which is what I spent from June 2018 to early July 2019. IF I were to rent an apt then I likely would have to buy a stove, refrigerator and so much more. In many motels they are furnished with a kitchen, usually nice tv with cable or satellite and also wifi. All of that would add greatly to the cost of an apartment.

I know of more than one motel where I have not even had to show my drivers license or anything but just give them cash. IF someday cash is not available or outlawed then that will greatly hurt anyone trying to live outside of society or even Live very Free.

I am not in that "cheap" motel anymore and likely won't go there again. And I also will not say exactly where I am right now. Maybe I am in some warmer state such as NV or AZ or even in MT but I am most likely going to go more and more grey man and likely more off grid than anyone can and still be in America.

I have never bought a hunting or fishing license and likely won't start now. I have went on hunting trips mainly for deer and elk with my Dad and some cousins but I was mainly the guy who set up camp and tracked the elk etc.

My CO drivers license is still good for at least 3 more years and then will see. I should get registration, plates etc etc etc. in the county my land is in and not in Laramie which is about a two hour drive from my land depending on the route.

I do have brushes to clean out the stove pipe and as I have written before I have not and will not tell Everything that I have done or even plan to do and build or all that I own. I have even used a small tree pulled thru a stovepipe to remove creosote but again I do have the wire brushes etc. stored away plus Huge amounts of other supplies, gear etc etc etc.

And hopefully all that you wrote was in concern and you trying to help me even by writing harshly any advice. Which makes me also not want to follow any harsh advice. I could also write in turn about what I know about some even seeing them smoke weed or whatever but I won't name names. I also think I have been waay too nice on and even off the net. Maybe NO More Mr. Nice Guy from me and possibly no more pics or much of anything since after this post I just might not post anywhere anymore. I will answer messages most likely if / when I am online but otherwise I am going more and more off grid / off society.

It also seemed to me to be condescending and even insulting to me for you to suggest that I could go ask for free food at a soup kitchen etc. until I get back on my feet!
I have given much money over the years and especially a few hundred dollars just this past year or so to the Salvation Army and a few other places. I am a giver and not a taker!

There was one measly video showing me cutting down the largest and most difficult tree I have ever cut down up on my steep mountain hillside. And yes people forget any and all good posts of my posting about all kinds of survival, the need to have at Least the plans for a good storm / storage shelter - bunker but that one video posted a few years ago showing me cutting down the large dangerous tree is what many will never forget. That video does not exist anymore and people should not believe Everything and at Least Try to understand more than what is posted in some pics or a short video!

As I have written before the few months after my toe especially the big toe amputation surgery I was recuperating. And I did watch a bit too much tv and am actually sick and tired of tv also. Most of my life I hardly watched any tv and caught up with many movies and a few tv shows. I have Not spent so much of my life sitting in front of a tv as most Americans have . I have also seen at least one post of yours biathlon praising a nonsense movie or two. Even praising the Hunger Games which I did finally see since on motel tv many of those shows are played over and over and over. I will be extremely glad to be back on my land and this next year possibly permanently for many reasons. And I feel No obligation to explain or even try to make many understand my survivalist lifestyle

And in February when I go up with some friends with snowmobiles to my mtn place it is possible that I will stay up there. I do have well over a one year supply of food up there now, possibly even two plus years worth of food etc. I won't know how much exactly until I put it all on shelves etc.

About my needing a log splitter is that with my large woodstoves I don't need to split as much wood. And maybe you biathlon missed it but here are a couple pics I took in early September 2019, showing almost half of the rounds I do have right now even with tarps over them.

Going more and more hardcore Survivalist and I have and can still change my looks when necessary >

As I have written before I have not and will not show Everything that I have done and maybe I won't post anymore pics or info unless possibly someone might ask me a question and I likely will answer. IF after Feb. 2020 no one sees anymore posts or anything from me anywhere on the net it is likely that I did stay up there on the best place on this planet for me anyway.

All for now but if no more questions then I very likely will not be posting and let you all do what you all think is best for you. Such as caching food in the wild or all over WY or where ever. I know what I have done and still plan to do. DO All of you?
Again everyone, please do NOT worry about me or even give me anymore advice but worry about yourselves and any others in your small little worlds....
Old 01-07-2020, 06:21 AM
Homesteader

Thanked 6,030 Times in 2,681 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnman Mike View Post
Yet another post from someone who thinks they know what is best for me although I think it is just more of someone trying to make themselves look all wise and trying to make me look foolish. Fine if that makes some happy but wow, I am getting so sick and tired of seeing so many posts over the past month or so and even some private messages from the all wise know-it-alls.

I could spend / waste at least an hour going thru biathlon's long harsh post answering each point and why I have not, will not and cannot follow much if any of his advice.

I will try to answer a few things but I really don't have the time or inclination to spend or waste so much time on the net and specifically this S-boards. I have posted in some other threads also putting in anything that I have learned and have done over the years. One of my last posts in the general Disaster area discussion secton I posted what I know and have done with candles. I have posted a few times about that as I have posted in several places. But it is all likely wasting my time and energy posting and even reading much anywhere on the net.

And biathlon I considered you a friend in 2012 when I met you in person. Even last May when you had come to drive me around Laramie. But after your long rant I am doubting you and also many others are really my friends. I also wonder If there is another thread on this S-boards where someone has been given so awful much harsh advice similar to all of the overly harsh advice I have received the past year or so. Likely some places on the net but I don't care about almost all of the net. And why I likely will go off grid even if I am still in some city until June.

Is it Really possible to rent any kind of apartment for less than $600 a month which is what I spent from June 2018 to early July 2019. IF I were to rent an apt then I likely would have to buy a stove, refrigerator and so much more. In many motels they are furnished with a kitchen, usually nice tv with cable or satellite and also wifi. All of that would add greatly to the cost of an apartment.

I know of more than one motel where I have not even had to show my drivers license or anything but just give them cash. IF someday cash is not available or outlawed then that will greatly hurt anyone trying to live outside of society or even Live very Free.

I am not in that "cheap" motel anymore and likely won't go there again. And I also will not say exactly where I am right now. Maybe I am in some warmer state such as NV or AZ or even in MT but I am most likely going to go more and more grey man and likely more off grid than anyone can and still be in America.

I have never bought a hunting or fishing license and likely won't start now. I have went on hunting trips mainly for deer and elk with my Dad and some cousins but I was mainly the guy who set up camp and tracked the elk etc.

My CO drivers license is still good for at least 3 more years and then will see. I should get registration, plates etc etc etc. in the county my land is in and not in Laramie which is about a two hour drive from my land depending on the route.

I do have brushes to clean out the stove pipe and as I have written before I have not and will not tell Everything that I have done or even plan to do and build or all that I own. I have even used a small tree pulled thru a stovepipe to remove creosote but again I do have the wire brushes etc. stored away plus Huge amounts of other supplies, gear etc etc etc.

And hopefully all that you wrote was in concern and you trying to help me even by writing harshly any advice. Which makes me also not want to follow any harsh advice. I could also write in turn about what I know about some even seeing them smoke weed or whatever but I won't name names. I also think I have been waay too nice on and even off the net. Maybe NO More Mr. Nice Guy from me and possibly no more pics or much of anything since after this post I just might not post anywhere anymore. I will answer messages most likely if / when I am online but otherwise I am going more and more off grid / off society.

It also seemed to me to be condescending and even insulting to me for you to suggest that I could go ask for free food at a soup kitchen etc. until I get back on my feet!
I have given much money over the years and especially a few hundred dollars just this past year or so to the Salvation Army and a few other places. I am a giver and not a taker!

There was one measly video showing me cutting down the largest and most difficult tree I have ever cut down up on my steep mountain hillside. And yes people forget any and all good posts of my posting about all kinds of survival, the need to have at Least the plans for a good storm / storage shelter - bunker but that one video posted a few years ago showing me cutting down the large dangerous tree is what many will never forget. That video does not exist anymore and people should not believe Everything and at Least Try to understand more than what is posted in some pics or a short video!

As I have written before the few months after my toe especially the big toe amputation surgery I was recuperating. And I did watch a bit too much tv and am actually sick and tired of tv also. Most of my life I hardly watched any tv and caught up with many movies and a few tv shows. I have Not spent so much of my life sitting in front of a tv as most Americans have . I have also seen at least one post of yours biathlon praising a nonsense movie or two. Even praising the Hunger Games which I did finally see since on motel tv many of those shows are played over and over and over. I will be extremely glad to be back on my land and this next year possibly permanently for many reasons. And I feel No obligation to explain or even try to make many understand my survivalist lifestyle

And in February when I go up with some friends with snowmobiles to my mtn place it is possible that I will stay up there. I do have well over a one year supply of food up there now, possibly even two plus years worth of food etc. I won't know how much exactly until I put it all on shelves etc.

About my needing a log splitter is that with my large woodstoves I don't need to split as much wood. And maybe you biathlon missed it but here are a couple pics I took in early September 2019, showing almost half of the rounds I do have right now even with tarps over them.

Going more and more hardcore Survivalist and I have and can still change my looks when necessary >

As I have written before I have not and will not show Everything that I have done and maybe I won't post anymore pics or info unless possibly someone might ask me a question and I likely will answer. IF after Feb. 2020 no one sees anymore posts or anything from me anywhere on the net it is likely that I did stay up there on the best place on this planet for me anyway.

All for now but if no more questions then I very likely will not be posting and let you all do what you all think is best for you. Such as caching food in the wild or all over WY or where ever. I know what I have done and still plan to do. DO All of you?
Again everyone, please do NOT worry about me or even give me anymore advice but worry about yourselves and any others in your small little worlds....

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mtnairkin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2020, 08:54 AM
Bear Magnet

I wasn't being harsh Mike. I know Wyoming and I also know how to cope with winter here.
You could have put up a tee pee or small yurt for a fraction of what you've already spent.
If you really do want a cabin up there, there are several CONTRACTORS who would be glad to build it for you. Some concrete pillars first and then some floor joists. Frame it and roof it and then let you do all the finish work like flooring, insulation and windows.

You also recently posted that you are wanting to purchase some snowshoes. Really? You went up there with the intention of spending the winter up there WITHOUT skis or snowshoes?

I just had my right hip replaced Mike. Recovery was about six weeks. You needed ten months to recover from a toe amputation?

I admire you Mike but there are just way too many holes in your story.

My concern for you this fall was that you would hole up in your "bunker" and we would get one of those big dumps where we get 6 to 8 feet of snow over a few days and you would be trapped in there and die.

You seem to resent advice from me so I'll not offer any more.
Good luck.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to biathlon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2020, 10:24 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,851 Times in 1,932 Posts

MM, I understand the motel vs apartment. Most apartments I have rented wanted a lease or at least first and last month's rent. When I was working for NAFAC I lived in a Shoney's motel for about a year. Back then it was $475 per month but I didn't have to give any notice to leave so I remained flexible. Also even an efficiency apartment was $100 to $200 more per month.

It had a fridge and cook top (no oven). I never used more than one eye on the cook top so I could have gotten by with a hot plate if it hadn't been provided. I found that I could even cook a frozen pizza in a frying pan but I mostly ate at Shoney's restaurant.

The TV and maid service made it more attractive. I didn't have to deal with providing linens and towels and go through the hassle of washing them. Maid service was once per week but I could exchange towels or linens at any time during the week if need be.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eddie_T For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2020, 11:44 AM
ǝnƃoɹ ǝuoƃ

Thanked 27,472 Times in 8,094 Posts
Default CAW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnairkin View Post
yup.......................
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to n1d For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2020, 01:20 PM
Tested in the Wilderness

Awards Showcase

Quote:
I wasn't being harsh Mike. I know Wyoming and I also know how to cope with winter here.
You could have put up a tee pee or small yurt for a fraction of what you've already spent.
If you really do want a cabin up there, there are several CONTRACTORS who would be glad to build it for you. Some concrete pillars first and then some floor joists. Frame it and roof it and then let you do all the finish work like flooring, insulation and windows.

You also recently posted that you are wanting to purchase some snowshoes. Really? You went up there with the intention of spending the winter up there WITHOUT skis or snowshoes?

I just had my right hip replaced Mike. Recovery was about six weeks. You needed ten months to recover from a toe amputation?

I admire you Mike but there are just way too many holes in your story.

My concern for you this fall was that you would hole up in your "bunker" and we would get one of those big dumps where we get 6 to 8 feet of snow over a few days and you would be trapped in there and die.

You seem to resent advice from me so I'll not offer any more.
Good luck.
I try to make my own luck. It does not always work out but does everything work out in everyones life? If they say so then they are probably lying.

I actually don't mind some advice just the way too many phrase things like they sure seem to be ordering me to do stuff. And many lately sure seem to be trying to make me look foolish but that seems to be the way of most of the world lately from bashing Trump and he doesn't help with how and what he says either. The whole world is being divided and it won't end well. Just one more reason I wish to move to my mtn place as much as possible even permanently. And if necessary such as my being in a city now for the winter then I also am mostly alone but I do talk to some when the opportunity happens.

I don't think you truly admire me and many others either. The "holes" in my true story are what I don't have the time or inclination to go into all of the details. I have tried to answer what I have time for though even with some pics for proof. I really would like to know of anyone else even just on this S-boards who is constantly being given "advice" even being harassed as much as I have been over the past ten years here and more and more over the past month or so.

And again all that you and so many others post giving me your advice is that I have already thought of all of that. Such as contractors who are expensive and I was planning on hiring a contractor who I know personally but since my surgery etc etc. has hurt me in many ways even financially. I also have the half built cabin with two steel beams and even after six feet of deep snow & very harsh winters it is still standing with no damage. I likely will finish that cabin up on the sunny hillside within a year or two even if I must do it all by myself.

But no one should worry or be concerned or especially harass me into doing stuff. Maybe someday in a year or two I might post a lot more pics for More proof of what I do and have done and will do in the future.
But I don't think many truly care but they just like to see interesting or purty pics or even join in if someone is being harassed etc etc.

I did sleep inside my bunker for a few days this past Nov. I have thermometers in and out side of the bunker. I had the woodstove going some but not truly needed as I have great warm winter sleeping bags etc. I checked the inside thermometer and it said 30 degrees. And that was even when the woodstove got cold. I checked the outside thermometer right away and it said 5 degrees F.

I have been on my land most months even in the winter. One April when there was about ten feet of snowpack I could get to the bunker although it was covered deeply. Over the front door of the bunker is a 20 foot long hallway so no snow there. The beginning of the entrance to the hallway is covered and there are two large trees with dead branches. I opened up the top through a couple feet of snow and slid down into the hallway. The front steel door of the bunker opens inward so even IF there was snow or the roof collapsed on the hallway I could still get out.

And again I guess I post too much without fully explaining everything. I was in rehab for over a week. I had to use a walker then a cane. I have not used a cane since August of 2018. I did not even use my walking stick but it helps when walking around especially over logs.

I don't know why I must explain Everything. I did do much more even in the motel than I will ever tell about. I can work from wherever I have wifi. AND that is all about that. Think what any will I know and I might tell some friends but not Everyone especially on this internet.

You post Really? a lot in your last couple posts to me. Yes really and I don't lie and have pics as Proof of anything that I do share. Most people on the net don't even post what state or country they are in which is ok. They don't seem real but whatever. And I could also ask you the same biathlon such as Really? you have stashes, caches etc. All over Wyoming? Do you have stored food where you live? Do you own land or a house or apt or just stay in a motel in your many travels? You don't have to answer since I and most maybe all don't Really care. It really doesn't matter to me and if that works for you then good Luck.

I simply share what I have done and maybe or maybe I won't post more new pics. My having to spend so awful much time, even over an hour finding, explaining over and over, is just too much and likely not worth my effort...
And to answer this what you posted > "You also recently posted that you are wanting to purchase some snowshoes. Really? You went up there with the intention of spending the winter up there WITHOUT skis or snowshoes? "

The following pics should Prove once again what I own and have done and will do in the future. I was asking or mentioned about buying New snowshoes since the ones I just showed are about thirty years old. They have been inside the bunker for most of that time. I could use some New snowshoes especially walking around my mtn place this coming Feb. when I go up with real life friends on their snowmobiles.

What my 30 year old snowshoes look like >

PROOF of me using my cross country skis. Only pic I have of that since I usually am alone when skiing, hiking, working, Living. This pic was taken by a green beret guy who went with me on skis and we created a large snow cave>

A pic of my neighbor who owns a cabin ( over half a mile from my mtn place ) he rarely goes up there lately since he is 82 now. I took this pic of Alfred in January 2009.

A pic of a Colorado chipmunk and that is what the official name Really is. But this likely was taken in Wyoming even though Wyoming has and likely is one of the most anti- pot / weed states around. But from all whom I have met and who I have observed and smelled in the cheap motel it seems to me that Laramie is the pot / weed capitol of Wyoming with its university and working some would say low class workers. But I will end these pics with what many have found humorous >

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1d View Post
yup.......................
I suppose you would not want to explain that? I can guess but an explanation of what you and seemingly my former friend mtnairkin posted that ...…… I could say the same for many who post but I don't use foul language even on the net and especially I don't in real life. Maybe you should go back to the Darkside section n1d and just ignore this thread if it bothers you and some others so much ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_T View Post
MM, I understand the motel vs apartment. Most apartments I have rented wanted a lease or at least first and last month's rent. When I was working for NAFAC I lived in a Shoney's motel for about a year. Back then it was $475 per month but I didn't have to give any notice to leave so I remained flexible. Also even an efficiency apartment was $100 to $200 more per month.

It had a fridge and cook top (no oven). I never used more than one eye on the cook top so I could have gotten by with a hot plate if it hadn't been provided. I found that I could even cook a frozen pizza in a frying pan but I mostly ate at Shoney's restaurant.

The TV and maid service made it more attractive. I didn't have to deal with providing linens and towels and go through the hassle of washing them. Maid service was once per week but I could exchange towels or linens at any time during the week if need be.
Great post Eddie. A good explanation from your real life experience. I don't truly care for motels but they do have privacy and strong steel doors, dead bolt locks etc etc. AND I can leave tomorrow with No notice or in 20 years IF I wish. And if you Eddie have any advice for me I likely would at least consider it since you are respectful and are not giving me "advice" harshly or like you are ordering me to follow your advice or else I am stupid, foolish and I don't know anything even after experiencing and LIVING more uniquely than most. AND I will stop posting but only If people stop asking me questions or needing a response. I do thank the few, very few who are still left in this long pic thread. It has been interesting if nothing else....
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2020, 01:58 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,718 Times in 2,884 Posts

I love seeing the pics you have posted, and the fact you are trying to get out there permanently. The biggest thing is to NOT set your goals/bar so high as to be unachievable. 30 degrees inside your cave (main living dwelling) is not survivable long term even if it's "warmer" than the outside temp. You may hate getting advice, but that sounds like it was your main downfall. More insulation, etc may help raise temps inside, but until you figure that out then you will merely be "camping" at your retreat during the start of winter months (a few days to a few weeks). I'm rooting for you!

Perhaps start checking out your local craigslist for the freestuff to see if there is excess materials from others home projects that you could scoop up. Another poster here is building a dwelling almost entirely from reclaimed steel and other materials. Basically he spending almost nothing, just his own labor.

You seem to assume that everyone that gives you advice or critiques you (wanted or unwanted) is being "harsh" or is a "troll", but it appears most are just trying to help out. You can take their advice or not, but coming off as if you know everything or have thought of every angle is pretty naive. Don't get so upset with folks, thick skin is required for today's living especially online. Also, try not to dwell of people who irritated you like Grunf, almost 90 percent of your posts above after he was banned still mention his name. That tells me he REALLY upset you. Like I said earlier, failing this year or not, everytime you fall/fail learn from it, don't set the bar too high and gains will be more obtainable with less failures (builds confidence).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FalconsBravesHawks For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2020, 02:40 PM
Tested in the Wilderness

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconsBravesHawks View Post
I love seeing the pics you have posted, and the fact you are trying to get out there permanently. The biggest thing is to NOT set your goals/bar so high as to be unachievable. 30 degrees inside your cave (main living dwelling) is not survivable long term even if it's "warmer" than the outside temp. You may hate getting advice, but that sounds like it was your main downfall. More insulation, etc may help raise temps inside, but until you figure that out then you will merely be "camping" at your retreat during the start of winter months (a few days to a few weeks). I'm rooting for you!

Perhaps start checking out your local craigslist for the freestuff to see if there is excess materials from others home projects that you could scoop up. Another poster here is building a dwelling almost entirely from reclaimed steel and other materials. Basically he spending almost nothing, just his own labor.

You seem to assume that everyone that gives you advice or critiques you (wanted or unwanted) is being "harsh" or is a "troll", but it appears most are just trying to help out. You can take their advice or not, but coming off as if you know everything or have thought of every angle is pretty naive. Don't get so upset with folks, thick skin is required for today's living especially online. Also, try not to dwell of people who irritated you like Grunf, almost 90 percent of your posts above after he was banned still mention his name. That tells me he REALLY upset you. Like I said earlier, failing this year or not, everytime you fall/fail learn from it, don't set the bar too high and gains will be more obtainable with less failures (builds confidence).
Thanks for all of that. I used to thank every single post for a few years after I created this long pic thread back in Nov. 2009. But this past year or so is just getting too much such as way too much "advice" and I could block and ignore them all but I hate to miss anything even troll posts. The only true troll was grunf who I was not ever going to name again but you did mention it as well as WR . There is stuff that goes on behind the scenes such as in private messages. And I won't say too much but that grunf was the worst troll ever even creating several fake usernames to harass.

I sometimes learn something new but survival wise since I have been a Survivalist since 1982 then I rarely learn anything new especially from those giving me advice. And if I responded like some of my so called friends have then people would think me more arrogant and that I am giving orders.

Sorry if anyone ever thinks that I post arrogantly or like a know-it-all but I really am simply answering, responding and telling what I have experienced and what I have done and what I plan to do.

I have learned much over the years. I learned the most the hard way such as when I lost the two toes. And I have explained about all of that as much as I can so hope no one asks again about that.

I have gotten my underground shelter which many insist on calling a bunker but I have gotten it up to 90 degrees F. I was simply telling that it is usually 30 degrees F. even if it is near zero degrees outside. And I have two woodstoves inside the bunker - underground cabin / storage / storm shelter.

My main sleeping place since July 8th until Nov. 29th was the camper trailer.
I did have some electric heat for it as well as a bit of propane. I don't store or use too much propane. I have 4 chainsaws, 4 generators, two new large ones, an old pickup and a diesel large pickup truck. All run on gasoline except the newer large F-350.
I have a dozen 5 gallon gas cans and I likely will get a gasoline tank someday.

I appreciate your advice since it was not harsh like so many and you seem to want to help. BUT Again, I cannot follow your advice for more reasons than I can tell about. Mainly I have Huge amounts of wood, 2 more steel beams, rebar and a Great deal more stuff, building supplies etc etc etc. I have bought some stuff on Facebook marketplace but likely no more of that. For my own reasons I hate to buy anything online.

And I have no need to buy much at all anymore except for more stored food and a few other supplies which I will next summer again.

And what your wrote is much of what I have done using whatever I have available. Some might wonder why I repeat myself but I do to answer fully. You wrote: " Another poster here is building a dwelling almost entirely from reclaimed steel and other materials. Basically he spending almost nothing, just his own labor."

I would like to see the thread of that guy who seems to do what I have done. Again I have built at least 4 sheds using mainly logs, log poles and sometimes using some plywood and 2x4's. I have obtained much lumber from some neighbors with cabins and from a landfill. Enough about that I hope.

I could post harshly but many it seems cannot realize it unless it is directed at them. SO Really Falconbravehawks you dare ask and assume much. Hope this wont bother you since you like so many, have such thick skins? Again assuming I don't. I simply respond and Likely I wont respond too much but will see. Also many assume too much Such as that I failed. I set the bar high and just Try to reach it.

I went back to a city but I did stay at least a month longer than I ever in 23 summers up there. Many might but I do not consider it a failure. I also should go to a dentist and other appointments but I can only do that in a city.
I could go on and on. I do appreciate all that you wrote and happy that you like my pics. I likely will post new pics but likely not until I take more new pics next February.
I simply respond to as much as I can and I also try to answer usually with pics showing Proof of what I do and have done since 1987.

The following is what I posted a few minutes ago on someone else's new thread. The following should help explain Why I love the wild and Why I work, DO and live my mtn area, retreat etc. >>>

Quiet time - constantly but mainly on my remote mtn retreat. Sometimes in the wilderness even a million plus acre national forest that surrounds my remote WY land.

I have had more experiences especially since 1987 than I can remember, in the wild and on my remote land where usually no people except on weekends.
For the past twenty years I rarely read a paper book in a city. I have read many dozens of books on my land since no distractions as there are in a city even in a quiet motel room with tv, the mostly no good net etc.

I have seen a large herd of elk wander down my private dirt road while a couple deer were watching the elk and I was in my blind / tent watching them all from above on my hillside.

I have also seen every Rocky Mountain animal except a grizz and wolverine and I would just as soon not meet them up close.

I was digging in a remote forest a few hundred feet above my land and I turned around to see a fawn sniffing me. The momma deer was stamping her feet but I moved to touch the fawn and they ran away. I also have seen a pika - sort of a rabbit - and a marten stare each other down.
Seen a marten chase and eat a chipmunk and seen all kinds of hawks, eagles etc. Just too much to tell about all or even half my real life experiences since 1987 when I bought my land or since 1979 when I first began to go into the wild.

And here is a thread where I tell in detail about one of the best experiences I have ever had, not moving for half an hour while a big herd of "wapiti" moved slowly on by. >>> https://www.survivalistboards.com/sh...ad.php?t=73868

I try more than most, to Do this >

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. I did not wish to live what was not life, living is so dear; nor did I wish to practise resignation, unless it was quite necessary. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life, to live so sturdily and Spartan-like as to put to rout all that was not life, to cut a broad swath and shave close, to drive life into a corner, and reduce it to its lowest terms...”

― Henry David Thoreau
Old 01-07-2020, 03:19 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,718 Times in 2,884 Posts

Thanks for the reply...not harsh at all...you are good!

I found the thread of the welder guy...he started with a container, but afterwards that is a very small part of the build. https://www.survivalistboards.com/sh...d.php?t=804090

The nature things you describe are what most people will never see, and what most would kill to see. I also love solitude and silence...but need some intereaction every once in a while (I have no choice right now...3 kids, wife, dog, 3 cats, turtle, 2 fish)...so I never have silence or solitude, lol.

Seriously though, if you can conquer the main dwelling or underground dwelling static temperature it seems as though you would be mostly there. In your opinion, what is the last "hurdle(s)" to being able to live there full time?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FalconsBravesHawks For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2020, 04:27 PM
Tested in the Wilderness

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconsBravesHawks View Post
Thanks for the reply...not harsh at all...you are good!

I found the thread of the welder guy...he started with a container, but afterwards that is a very small part of the build. https://www.survivalistboards.com/sh...d.php?t=804090

The nature things you describe are what most people will never see, and what most would kill to see. I also love solitude and silence...but need some intereaction every once in a while (I have no choice right now...3 kids, wife, dog, 3 cats, turtle, 2 fish)...so I never have silence or solitude, lol.

Seriously though, if you can conquer the main dwelling or underground dwelling static temperature it seems as though you would be mostly there. In your opinion, what is the last "hurdle(s)" to being able to live there full time?
I tried to be a bit harsh when I posted Really and you dare assume etc. But yeah, I am not harsh or unkind. I am likely too nice. Dogs and most wild creatures love me or at least most don't run off. I have had to chase off more than one black bear. And one looked back at me like what did he do? I just wanted the bears to keep afraid of people.

And thanks for the link of that guy who is or has built a "cabin" using scraps etc. Looks like mostly parts or a shipping container. I quickly looked but it would take quite a while to look over it all. I see he has posted pics over many pages. I tend to just post a lot of pics at once and get it over with.
I likely will go back and read and look at that guy's pics and thread. I would have used a shipping container but no way to get It up onto my land. I suppose with enough winches and such. But the nearest shipping container to be bought would likely be in Cheyenne and that is at least 150 miles to the east.

The natural beauty and the huge amount of wildlife is why I stay up there as long as possible. Not nearly as much wildlife in the winter even from mid October until June. Just too much snowpack. I see from the snow survey station which I posted a link to several posts back but I see that there is 61 inches of snowpack now. About average for this time of year.

One more reason I share pics but also I try to invite and hope that some will come up is to experience at least a bit of what I have and do experience every minute I am up there. Mainly when I am outside and mainly when I am not moving and observing. Amazing what all can be seen when one is still and observant.

The underground cabin which is really a cabin made out of at least 100 log poles and 7 tree trunks plus all of the 250 plus eighty pound bags of concrete etc. but it is not my main dwelling. The underground "bunker" which I never called it a bunker until many here on this S-boards called it that but it is mainly for secure storage and a storm shelter. I will make it my main dwelling someday IF there is a bad SHTF with roaming raiders and such. And that is not too likely but never know anymore. Possibly much of what has happened in the past will happen again such as wars, raiders and such only many times worse with so many many many more people.

No way to insulate the underground structure since the great hillside and the 3 feet of dirt, rocks and concrete plus 3 layers of logs for the roof are plenty of insulation.
The front door has a vent which I keep open for more air and there is a vent - stovepipe hole in the back by the back trap door for a chimney effect of air flow thru it all.

I do have an old black winter sleeping bag hanging in front of the front steel door which reduces the cold air. I can seal it up if necessary also.

My main dwelling is the camper trailer. I have posted pics of that but I can again if any wish. I would still be up there IF I had had help to build. I tried but maybe not hard enough to hire some help. It is a remote area in southern Wyoming and too far for most to want to come up to help except for ridiculous high prices. Maybe more later about all of that.

To answer your good question: "what is the last "hurdle(s)" to being able to live there full time?" would take a book to fully answer. But I will try to be concise.

First I will tell about some things that are no longer hurdles which they were a year ago before I did and bought so much this past summer. The first hurdle beginning July 8, 2019 was just getting everything I own up onto my land. I had to hire the work crew of five to do that. They had two large Dodge trucks. One pulling my camper trailer which had 20 boxes and bags of stuff, clothing etc and the other truck pulled a trailer which had my old '79 truck which also has a lot of stuff in the back of the old pickup. The second hurdle was to clean up my long driveway which was covered with stacks of firewood etc etc plus an old garage that I had built. The third hurdle was buying at least a one year supply of food and other supplies which I did do in early October.

I do have plenty of food, even possibly a two year supply but I won't know for certain until I put most of the food on shelves. That food is stored now in boxes, the two pickup trucks and the one 55 gallon steel drum where I have most of the expensive Mountain House stored. No one from insects, mice to any bears can get into the sealed drum. And there is six feet of snowpack over it now. I do have another 55 gallon steel drum sealed since 1999 and I should open that next summer. It has been in my largest shed since September 1999.

Ok and the last "hurdle" would be to finish the walls and roof over the camper trailer. I most likely will finish those walls and the roof by late August. Possibly earlier if and I hope when a guy will come up. He is a member of this S-boards and all I will tell about him. Although he can post about it if he wishes.

Here are some pics of the walls that I have built so far. I had to build most of them with a foot to two feet of snow on the ground and down to 20 degree F. temps which made it more difficult. Sorry I did not get more pics but these should show some of the walls I built from late Sept to mid Nov. 2019 >
This is the main hallway and it will be a long hallway eventually. My Dad's old pickup is to the right. The whole structure once built will be at least 80 feet by 15 feet wide. I did shovel the roof off once when there was two feet of snow on top. >

This is not the best photo but the best with my phone. It was taken after two feet of snow had fallen. This shows part of the wall I had built around my 2006 F-350. I built it mainly for privacy so any driving by on snowmobiles in the winter would not see it. And it keeps the snow from piling up against the sides. >

Here is part of the wall around my camper trailer. Even with all of that snow and the cold I was able to build a wall all the way around it by mid Nov. >

Here is the other main wall and this wall is on one side of the old pickup truck. On the other side of this wall I have the two gas generators which is the furthest I could put those generators and still have them part of this structure. When finished this can be called my long garage. I have the two new generators under tarps etc. now. I also ran them dry and so no gas inside the generators. Maybe more later if I am motivated to post more. Seen here is my newest large woodstove. Very strong cast iron but the 55 gallon drum stove puts out the most heat but also burns the most wood the fastest.

Once the walls and roof are complete I can get the two large woodstoves going. I usually don't start any woodstoves until it snows. I also will build many shelves in the structure that will be over my 1979 Ford pickup. It was my Dad's pickup he bought new back then. I will never sell it and it would be great especially if / when there is ever an EMP attack.

All for now I suppose unless there are more questions. I don't mind questions but any advice should maybe be sent to me thru private messages. The over abundant advice has possibly ruined this thread or put off too many. I suppose some of that is my fault but I simply respond and answer. If I had the power I would delete quite a few posts such as all of that grunf's posts but if nothing else it shows a Bit of what I put up with. I still would like to know If there is anyone else on this S-boards who is or has been attacked in their thread especially for more than ten years.

Again any questions or comments are welcome. In the long run nothing matters but I do hope also if nothing else that this thread has been interesting even if many will or cannot see the real value of what I have posted.

All for now unless there are more questions.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2020, 02:30 AM
Tested in the Wilderness

Awards Showcase

One more thing before I go offline. And as I have written before I am not sure exactly when I will go offline for a week or even months or even possibly for good maybe only checking in once a year. And I very well might stay on my mtn place this February when I go up with some real life friends who have snowmobiles. Will see and I try to not plan too far in advance since things change. I mean I do have future plans even for five or more years but I also realize things can change.

Here are a few more pics below. I did show one or two new pics and I likely will not post any new thread or take hours creating a long pic post or new thread anymore. The photos I did show with the walls in the previous post ^ I hope made it clear what I am building. And I did get a good start in building that long garage. That is what I need a long garage to cover my two pickup trucks and the camper trailer.

So no one needs to post and tell me that I should have done this or that or I Should have or should build a log cabin or an A-frame or a tee pee / tipi or small yurt or whatever. I need a long garage, I have begun to build a long garage and have it half built so far doing it all by myself like usual.

IF I build a new cabin I likely will not spend too much money for various reasons that I will not go into. I have this strong partially built cabin built into my sunny hillside and I plan to make it into a good, snow proof rock and log cabin with a great view of the Snowy Range which is about 30 miles to the east across the river valley. It will also have two large windows for sun and for the great view. It will be also a partial greenhouse.

And all for now although not sure if or when I will post again

My partially built log / rock cabin which has so far two steel beams in the roof >

I never have shown a pic of this small but great A-frame cabin. >

I do have in storage in a shed steel shelving similar to this. I also have a great deal of canned and freeze dried food inside my large F-350 truck plus two dozen boxes of more canned food and two 55 gallon steel drums plus other food. So I have stored away much more than twice as much food as shown in this pic >

This photo was taken by me almost 20 years ago soon after I had built my largest shed. It shows the "new" 55 gallon steel drum stove which I am going to use more and more.
The hanging white bags are some food etc. that I hung from the log pole roof to keep mice etc. out. >

This is the outside of that large shed and I just showed the inside. I am going to eventually dismantle this and one or two more sheds after I clean them out using the stored material inside. Those log poles are 17 feet in height and were not especially easy setting them up completely by myself 20 years ago. I will use the log poles for firewood and for building material as needed. The main reason it is still standing is because of a steel beam in the roof. >

I plan to buy at least one of these from HarborFreight and I do have a small greenhouse stored away right now up there >

In case anyone has somehow missed seeing this pic of my F-350 and my camper trailer
>

Over the next year or two or twenty I hope to take at least some nice and beautiful pics since I know of very few uncrowded beautiful areas as exists within fifty miles of my mtn area >

Old 01-08-2020, 11:00 AM
Bear Magnet

We all admire you a lot Mike. Myself mostly because you had the balls to leave Colorado and move up here to Wyoming. Your posts seem to make it clear that you want to stay here year round and especially up at your place in the Sierra Madres. My suggestions were intended to give you some information to assist your adaptation to this state.

I grew up racing on skis Mike. Alpine and cross country. When I was not even a year old my grandfather nailed some leather loops on to his big wood skis(I still have them)in front of his bindings and held my little hands with my boots in those loops.
I have been on skis literally since I began to walk. I honestly believe that at 64 years old and still working outdoors here in Wyoming and skiing(not this year per my surgeon)I am very probably in a very small hand full of the most experienced winter sports enthusiasts on this board. I know cold and snow Mike. I know Wyoming.

I have friends near buffalo on the east side of the Bighorns that live year round in their yurts. -40F? No problem. They are very efficient with their fire wood and only one small stove in the center of their yurts. They also have composting toilets and the entire property is cultivated with several wild edibles. Berries of all sorts, yampas, camas, onions, glacier lilies, sego lilies and a lot of domestic root crops.

They all hunt too. Every year. Elk, deer, moose, antelope, ducks, geese, pheasant, grouse. Other than maybe antelope or pheasant I'm betting you've seen all of the above at your place. With a resident hunting licence you could most likely feed yourself and a few others.

I know that lake near your place is loaded with rainbow and brook trout too.

I guess you'll adapt at your own pace and as you see any need to. Personally? I'd be embarrassed to drive around Wyoming with Colorado plates.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to biathlon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2020, 11:41 AM
Trapper

Haven't been here in a while, but am glad everybody seems to be doing well.
Happy New Year people!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ballenxj For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2020, 12:36 PM
Tested in the Wilderness

Awards Showcase

Quote:
We all admire you a lot Mike. Myself mostly because you had the balls to leave Colorado and move up here to Wyoming. Your posts seem to make it clear that you want to stay here year round and especially up at your place in the Sierra Madres. My suggestions were intended to give you some information to assist your adaptation to this state.

I grew up racing on skis Mike. Alpine and cross country. When I was not even a year old my grandfather nailed some leather loops on to his big wood skis(I still have them)in front of his bindings and held my little hands with my boots in those loops.
I have been on skis literally since I began to walk. I honestly believe that at 64 years old and still working outdoors here in Wyoming and skiing(not this year per my surgeon)I am very probably in a very small hand full of the most experienced winter sports enthusiasts on this board. I know cold and snow Mike. I know Wyoming.

I have friends near buffalo on the east side of the Bighorns that live year round in their yurts. -40F? No problem. They are very efficient with their fire wood and only one small stove in the center of their yurts. They also have composting toilets and the entire property is cultivated with several wild edibles. Berries of all sorts, yampas, camas, onions, glacier lilies, sego lilies and a lot of domestic root crops.

They all hunt too. Every year. Elk, deer, moose, antelope, ducks, geese, pheasant, grouse. Other than maybe antelope or pheasant I'm betting you've seen all of the above at your place. With a resident hunting licence you could most likely feed yourself and a few others.

I know that lake near your place is loaded with rainbow and brook trout too.

I guess you'll adapt at your own pace and as you see any need to. Personally? I'd be embarrassed to drive around Wyoming with Colorado plates.
Thanks for all of that. I am mainly responding to try to explain more. First of all, my CO license plates on all of my vehicles including the camper trailer all expired a while back. The camper expired in Nov. 2018 but still the guy pulled it from Calirado from my cousin's farm and I told him the plates were expired but he told me: "I'm not skeered" He might not sound smart but he does have a very successful construction business, mainly building pot - marijuana greenhouses in quite a few places. Btw, I hate most drugs except a very few over the counter pain killers and I also hate alcohol and tobacco. But I believe in the freedom of anyone who wishes to use those kinds of things.

And I am not going to ever get CO license plates but I most likely will get WY plates just not sure exactly when and I should get the plates etc etc. in the county where my land is located.

There are two fishing lakes within 3 miles of my mtn place: Silver Lake and the one I have posted the most pics of = Battle Lake. Too many new cabins etc. being built around Battle Lake with its own private road and locked gate.

And interesting to read about your friends in the Bighorns which is near the MT / WY border for any who might not know. I am sure it is possible but still difficult to believe very many if any Truly live off the land completely and there is likely the payment of property taxes and buying licenses, etc etc etc,
Much colder even in north Wyoming than my mtn place. While my mtn place is not overly warm it is not nearly as cold as most places to the north such as MT, Canada and much of Alaska.
I have kept track and not too many days below zero for a few years now and not sure when it was last 40 below zero on my land. One reason so many beetle killed trees is because there were not enough -10 or more below zero days.

I will not say exactly where I am anymore. Maybe some can guess but they might be wrong as many are wrong about much of what they post about me and what they think I am doing, where I am and what I should or Must do.

I plan to never leave Wyoming except short trips very occasionally. Once on my land permanently then I plan to never leave it. As I posted yesterday the last "hurdle" as one guy put it I need to jump or accomplish is finishing the walls and roof on my long garage.

I also plan to dismantle most of my 4 sheds except the Tuff shed which is small and still looks great. And I have my old ATV and a few other things inside that Tuff shed.

And I will keep the shed in front of the bunker / underground cabin since it is and will be more and more a wood shed.

I don't want to "adapt" to any state; mainly adapt and succeed on my mtn place. I simply want to be let alone with No kind of trouble from anyone especially when I am on my mtn retreat.

As I have posted before I am going to at least try to be off grid than most. Not simply off grid with my solar panels and generators but Off grid and Off society. I should not have to explain much more.

And I like this quote you just posted biathlon: "We all admire you a lot Mike. Myself mostly because you had the blls to leave Colorado and move up here to Wyoming."

I have wanted to move completely to Wyoming since I bought the land in WY the summer of 1987. But I had to keep going back to Calirado for several reasons. Mainly to keep helping my elderly parents since I am an only child. And I had to keep making money so that I could Live on my mtn place the 23 summers.

I do not believe that All admire me a lot or even much at all. I am certain there are some especially on this S-boards who despise me for whatever no good reasons.

I could name names but just look back at the posts posted in this long thread especially over the past month or two. And maybe see what I see which is not good and I have unfriended a couple people since they were very unfriendly to me. And even in private messages which I won't tell about.

I actually want to stop posting anymore and stop posting everywhere on the net. But I am compelled to answer questions and respond. I spent / wasted too much time yesterday also posting too much. So no one be surprised when I finally do stop posting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballenxj View Post
Haven't been here in a while, but am glad everybody seems to be doing well.
Happy New Year people!
You too although do any truly believe that this will be a Happy year? I doubt it but all we can do is try to make our own little worlds happy or do as best we can with the little we have.

Again I do wish the best for everyone but I am really truly sick of most of the internet and I do truly believe that in general most people are not truly friendly and would stab someone in the back if needed sometime in the future. I would most likely never stab or shoot or harm anyone Unless attacked someday. But again I hope for the best for everyone even those who misunderstand and likely even despise me but as one more good saying goes: "Hope for the best but Prepare for the worst."
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post: