Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MY SHTF rifle - Ruger GSR .308 Joshohoho Rifle Forum 48 05-14-2015 10:14 PM
Ruger Mini-14/Mini 30 Complete Referance Guide Cope's Distribuitng Cope's Distributing 0 02-16-2015 03:59 PM
TAPCO Intrafuse Mini-14/Mini-30 Rifle System (Black) Cope's Distribuitng Cope's Distributing 0 12-24-2014 02:31 PM
New Ruger Mini 14 Target Rifle Pathfinder Rifle Forum 36 11-23-2014 09:04 PM
Ruger Mini-30 Rifle AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 03-27-2014 07:00 PM
Ruger Mini 30 or Mini 14? Jdudek Rifle Forum 30 11-21-2012 09:09 PM
Ruger scout rifle: for hunting and shtf? tropicheat Firearms General Discussion 26 10-07-2012 09:36 AM
Used Ruger Mini-14 .223 LE Trade-In Semi Auto Rifle. Very Good Condition $449 and up apps47inc For Sale 0 06-25-2012 08:55 PM
New Ruger 10/22 Takedown Rifle (Video) - Ideal Survival Rimfire Rifle - $299 apps47inc For Sale 4 03-29-2012 01:08 PM
Alright, the AK 47 or the Ruger Mini 30 Ranch Rifle? JustADude Military Weapons Forum 77 03-30-2009 06:42 PM

Old 05-27-2019, 03:15 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,652 Times in 904 Posts

Advertise Here

I went to the parents farm over the weekend and it was windy. The barn doors were open on both sides and it’s a wind tunnel. With the 20mph constant wind it worked up a lot to dust, dust in your eyes dust. The mini sat in there for 4 hours with the wind constantly putting dust on it.

After 4 hours, without even a thought of the internet facts and how they are supposed to be real world fact, i shot it, then shot it a bunch more. I’ll be damned if I learned something Saturday. I learned my mini 14 is completely and totally illiterate. If only it could read about how it will jam and break before even a single round is fired.

I already knew the mini was illiterate, so I knew it would be fine. I was even more impressed that the R51 that got equally dusty didn’t jam or even hiccup once in the dusty conditions through 200 rounds of various ammo types. Such an easy carrying, light recoiling small pistol that shoot like it’s a full size pistol. The thing is extremely accurate. The mini was it’s normal boring reliable self, nothing new there.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dusty Bones For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2019, 03:44 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,799 Times in 3,537 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Bones View Post
I went to the parents farm over the weekend and it was windy. The barn doors were open on both sides and itís a wind tunnel. With the 20mph constant wind it worked up a lot to dust, dust in your eyes dust. The mini sat in there for 4 hours with the wind constantly putting dust on it.

After 4 hours, without even a thought of the internet facts and how they are supposed to be real world fact, i shot it, then shot it a bunch more. Iíll be damned if I learned something Saturday. I learned my mini 14 is completely and totally illiterate. If only it could read about how it will jam and break before even a single round is fired.

I already knew the mini was illiterate, so I knew it would be fine. I was even more impressed that the R51 that got equally dusty didnít jam or even hiccup once in the dusty conditions through 200 rounds of various ammo types. Such an easy carrying, light recoiling small pistol that shoot like itís a full size pistol. The thing is extremely accurate. The mini was itís normal boring reliable self, nothing new there.
Say it ain't so DB! Are you sayin that them Xsquirts are mistaken? Impossible.

However....your not done yet.

Next up= drizzle simulation. Your gonna need your old lady's sprinkler from her garden. Dont clean it. That dust will turn to mud, melt the barrel, crack the stock, and turn your op rod into sushi.
It's gonna happen because someone who seen a picture of a Mini14 once upon a time has decreed this to be it's fate.

Good luck and for Christ sake......teach that rifle how to read.

11B
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to fragout For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2019, 01:09 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatchet jack View Post
My only complaint with the Mini is that when the rifle has a 20 round mag in it and you are carrying with the sling the mag digs in your back. I wish they had the option of side sling mounts like seen on the M-1 Carbine.
You probably already know this, but you can get buttstock pads with a side clip to attach your sling the way you want it...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hoodoo For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2019, 12:17 PM
Harsh and unpleasant

Thanked 3,201 Times in 1,259 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodoo View Post
You probably already know this, but you can get buttstock pads with a side clip to attach your sling the way you want it...
Or run a screw in and do whatever you want.
It ain't that hard.
If you mess it up, get out the Bondo and try again.
You own it now, not Ruger.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sharkbait For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2019, 09:27 PM
Survivor

Thanked 23,351 Times in 6,339 Posts

Should I post another pic on why the Ruger MINI-14 is MY Zombie SHTF rifle?
The Following User Says Thank You to TENNGRIZZ For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2019, 10:20 PM
Curmudgeon

Thanked 3,876 Times in 1,104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TENNGRIZZ View Post
Should I post another pic on why the Ruger MINI-14 is MY Zombie SHTF rifle?
Sure, go ahead.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jlrhiner For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2019, 06:35 PM
Survivor

Thanked 23,351 Times in 6,339 Posts

My oldest son is leaving tomorrow to head home , will post some picks in a few days.
Old 12-12-2019, 10:36 PM
Retired Army

Thanked 18,192 Times in 4,034 Posts

Well, I'm coming to this party a bit late, but here goes.

The question was... "Ruger Mini 14 for my SHTF rifle?"

Yes, if that's what you want.

First off, I think there are many different weapons out there that could serve as a "SHTF rifle". Sure some are better, but any of them would work.

The AK is a solid design. It's pretty simple to keep running, fires a capable round for defending oneself, and is accurate enough for it's intended use. (Close to med range combat)

AR, same thing. Solid design, fires a decent round for close to med combat, simple to keep going, accurate.

Differences, yeah. The AK will probably take more abuse, and still keep running, not that the AR can't be made reliable if put together right with good parts. The AR will be more accurate on average, and with premium aftermarket barrels, BCGs, and such can be made damn near as accurate as a bolt gun. The ergonomics are different. (I prefer the layout of the AR, but 28 years of carrying one for Uncle Sam may have influenced me on that. The AR is second nature to me.

Well, same goes for the Mini 14. It's action is a proven solid design, fires a decent round, is easy enough to keep going, and accurate enough for the job.

It the Mini 14 as accurate as an AR? Nope. Is it accurate enough to take out a threat or hunt game? Yes. You can put premium barrels on ARs. Well, guess what, you can on a Mini 14 too. It will cost more, because less demand for them doesn't keep prices down. The military using the AR for decades has seen to it's popularity, so prices stay lower, and more options are out there, but a Mini 14 is accurate enough for the role.

Fire an effective round? Well, they are available in 5.56, .300 Blackout, 6.8 SPC, 7.62x39... all effective close to med range combat rounds.

Easy to keep running? Yes. Like any weapon, you have to know it, and maybe have a few spare parts on hand, but the design of the action is solid, and reliable. No castle nuts or gas keys to come loose if not staked, Buffer tube won't bend locking up the weapon, bla, bla. Every weapon has strong and weak points, but the Mini is every bit (if not more) as reliable as an AK or AR. As with most semi-autos having a good supply of quality mags are a must, as probably 90% of malfunctions are mag related. The Mini 14 mags are more pricey, but if you have the correct Ruger mags, they should last a lifetime.

One thing the Mini 14 has going for it is it's old design, and layout. It can stay off the radar of less free states, so those people can still have a decent rifle. Also, the style has a good nostalgic appeal to it. For the same reasons lever guns are still popular, the Mini 14 still is. It has that M14 / M1A look, but in a smaller, lighter package, that shoots cheaper ammo, and recoils less doing it. Not a bad combo.

Faults: Worse that a less accurate barrel, I find the worst fault of the Mini 14 is how fat the front sight is. Ruger really screwed the pooch with that. I recently pick up my first Mini 14 in 25 years. A 583 series. It has the newer barrel so it should be more accurate than the old ones. Those barrels are also CHF, so they should last a while.

Why did I get one? That nostalgia I was talking about. I live in a free state, so I have ARs. Even a SBR one. I'll go to one of them for my SHTF gun, but I'm betting that the Mini could do the job if it had to. It will get the Ultimak scout rail, and a red dot or scout scope. It only needs to hit targets at close to med range, so It's good. Hey, If I thought I was gonna face off with bad guys at 500M every day, I'd grab my .308 AR, or my 7mm Mauser, or even my .243 bolt gun.

Yes, the Mini 14 can serve as a SHTF gun. After all the best gun is the one you shoot better with, so practice, and training is a more important concern.

Most times the winner of the fight is the better fighter, not the better equipped one.
If I had a Wilson Combat 1911, and Jerry Miculek had a Hi Point, I'd still be screwed.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to daddyusmaximus For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2019, 12:05 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,268 Times in 532 Posts

Quote:
Most times the winner of the fight is the better fighter, not the better equipped one.
If I had a Wilson Combat 1911, and Jerry Miculek had a Hi Point, I'd still be screwed.
Probably all that really needs to be said.

I have a 580 series Mini-14 and with cheap Monarch steel case ammo from Academy it will stay in the 2-2.5" range with open sights at one hundred yards.

I have a few Ruger mags and 8 Pro-Mag 20 round mags and the Promags work just as well as the factory mags. But the factory mags should last a lifetime of use. The factory and promags are made from heat treated steel and are far tougher than the light weight aluminum AR mags I own.

Most say the downside to the Mini is you can't but a spare firing pin from Ruger. I have read they will sell you a new firing pin but you have to send in the gun to them. Here is what should be an excellent after market pin for those that want a spare.

https://www.firingpins.com/ruger-min...iring-pin-2470
The Following User Says Thank You to hatchet jack For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2019, 10:50 AM
Retired Army

Numrich sells Mini 14 parts...

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-man...t-by=sku%20asc
Old 12-14-2019, 08:17 PM
Harsh and unpleasant

I sent them my rifle without the entire bolt assembly .
Told them the kids lost it.
They only charged me for shipping.

Now I have a drop in bolt assembly.
Old 12-14-2019, 10:13 PM
Militant Normal

Thanked 22,849 Times in 7,538 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkbait View Post

Remind me never to lend you any money.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Old Coach For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2019, 08:17 AM
Retired Army

Quote:

Effective, but dishonest.

You deserve your original to fail.

We're suppose to be the good guys, getting ready for when the bad guys ruin it for everybody.
Old 12-15-2019, 08:27 AM
Harsh and unpleasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyusmaximus View Post
Effective, but dishonest.

You deserve your original to fail.

We're suppose to be the good guys, getting ready for when the bad guys ruin it for everybody.
I was expecting to pay for a new bolt assembly.
Why does Ruger force me to ship my rifle and pay ffl fees for a simple part?
Old 12-15-2019, 08:31 AM
Militant Normal

Duh! Bolt assembly has to provide proper headspace.
Old 12-15-2019, 08:33 AM
Retired Army

Quote:
Old 12-15-2019, 12:44 PM
Harsh and unpleasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Coach View Post
Duh! Bolt assembly has to provide proper headspace.
Everybody and their brother will sell me a BCG for an AR without problems.
Ruger won't sell you a firing pin without shipping the rifle.

Ridiculous
The Following User Says Thank You to Sharkbait For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2019, 01:44 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,168 Times in 2,179 Posts

Good rifle but difficult to change calibers. No so with the AR platform. I like versitility and ease. Just lazy, I guess.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rural Buckeye Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2019, 04:12 PM
Survivor

Thanked 70,197 Times in 21,885 Posts

Quote:
You can ship directly to and receive from the maker of the firearm without going through a FFL.

Because Ruger is still infected with ****ed up Bill Ruger mindset.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2019, 04:38 PM
Militant Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
You can ship directly to and receive from the maker of the firearm without going through a FFL.

Because Ruger is still infected with ****ed up Bill Ruger mindset.
Bill Ruger may have had some good design ideas, but he left the running of the business to cutthroats, if my dealings with the company in the '80s are any indication. Only Generous Motors topped them for perfidy, in my career.

Never met the man himself, but it's a truism in management that corporations grow to reflect the personality of their leadership.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Old Coach For This Useful Post: