Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rethinking SHTF Rifle And Ammunition Stockpile kev Military Weapons Forum 147 02-11-2019 09:42 AM
Which Conspiracy Theories Do you Believe In? Porkchop Samich Polls and Surveys 106 01-31-2019 10:25 PM
Considering .44 Magnum revolver. stings1918 Pistol and Revolver Forum 64 11-07-2017 10:42 AM
Taurus Tracker .44 Magnum Stainless Revolver 4-inch 5 Rd from $439.99 shipped wikiarms.com wikiarms.com 0 08-28-2017 09:12 PM
Henry Big Boy .44 Magnum rifle H006 (USED) Cope's Distribuitng Cope's Distributing 0 10-06-2016 11:24 AM

Old 10-22-2019, 03:06 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,036 Times in 456 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyusmaximus View Post
"Poh-tay-toe" / "Poh-tah-toe"... but the reason I say "defensive" range over "handgun" range is a handgun typically has much more limited range. (and power) The .44 mag (and .357 mag) when fired out of a rifle / carbine barrel can be pretty damn effective out to 100 yds or so. No way in hell, I'd try that with a 9mm or .45 ACP, and expect good terminal ballistics (or decent accuracy) on a deadly threat. (even out of a PCC)

I call it my "Combat Cowboy Carbine". Now I just need one in a takedown version... $$$
Don't sell the 9mm PCC short. I have shot my Marlin Camp Carbine out to 200 yards and can make hits good enough to keep my shots on a mans chest and at 100 yards I can keep them all on your head. Of Course I would never consider hunting any game with it at that range. If you like cowboy carbines you will like this read.

https://www.hensleygibbs.com/edharri...saultrifle.htm
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2019, 08:07 PM
Retired Army

Thanked 16,273 Times in 3,764 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatchet jack View Post
Don't sell the 9mm PCC short. I have shot my Marlin Camp Carbine out to 200 yards and can make hits good enough to keep my shots on a mans chest and at 100 yards I can keep them all on your head. Of Course I would never consider hunting any game with it at that range. If you like cowboy carbines you will like this read.

https://www.hensleygibbs.com/edharri...saultrifle.htm
You just proved my point...

You maybe able to hit your target at range, but you know that the 9mm isn't going to have any energy to speak of when it hits, so you wouldn't hunt at that range. (I can hit a target at 200 with a 10/22 if I work at it.)

Safe to say you wouldn't dare use that 9mm Camp Carbine in a defensive role at anything more than across the room distance. (basically any distance more than you would a 9mm pistol)

Terminal ballistics is what I'm talking about, and the .44 mag out of a 16"+ barrel has it.
The Following User Says Thank You to daddyusmaximus For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2019, 12:31 AM
Hiker

Quote:
You just proved my point...

You maybe able to hit your target at range, but you know that the 9mm isn't going to have any energy to speak of when it hits, so you wouldn't hunt at that range. (I can hit a target at 200 with a 10/22 if I work at it.)

Safe to say you wouldn't dare use that 9mm Camp Carbine in a defensive role at anything more than across the room distance. (basically any distance more than you would a 9mm pistol)

Terminal ballistics is what I'm talking about, and the .44 mag out of a 16"+ barrel has it.
No I didn't just prove your point. If you spent a little more time reading ballistic charts you would know that a 9mm from a 9mm carbine still has 273 foot pounds of energy at 100 yards. So yes I would use it for more than across the room. And who
was comparing a 9mm to a 44 mag rifle? I sure wasn't. I stated very plainly I wouldn't use a 9mm carbine to hunt with. Even though my buds son used a Marlin 9mm to kill his first deer at 40+ yards and the bullet was a complete pass through and the deer ran a half circle and died. It never made it out of sight.

And you do know the 9mm from a carbine still has just over 200 foot pounds of energy at 200 yards? More than a 380 has at the muzzle. And the 380 is considered a fair defensive round.

You may want to try reading a little closer to what others are writing. Or at least have your facts straight first. You do know the 9mm was used extensively in WWII as a machine gun round don't you? And they didn't consider it an "across the room" round either.
Old 10-23-2019, 12:40 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,006 Times in 700 Posts

My friend used his Springfield XDM pistol and shot a round nosed fmj at 100 years at a target. It penetrated the 1/2" plywood and the 2" side of a 2"x4". It has some penetration energy at 100 yards even with a pistol. 44 mag is better, but don't sell the 9mm short, especially in a carbine. I see why the Germans made their sub-machine guns in 9mm.
Old 10-23-2019, 04:02 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,360 Times in 587 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie_Dude View Post
My friend used his Springfield XDM pistol and shot a round nosed fmj at 100 years at a target. It penetrated the 1/2" plywood and the 2" side of a 2"x4". It has some penetration energy at 100 yards even with a pistol. 44 mag is better, but don't sell the 9mm short, especially in a carbine. I see why the Germans made their sub-machine guns in 9mm.
The Israelis made a special 9mm round just for the uzi. I wouldn’t use it in my handgun, it’s kaboom on you.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cuteandfuzzybunnies For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2019, 09:18 AM
Retired Army

Quote:
No I didn't just prove your point. If you spent a little more time reading ballistic charts you would know that a 9mm from a 9mm carbine still has 273 foot pounds of energy at 100 yards. So yes I would use it for more than across the room. And who
was comparing a 9mm to a 44 mag rifle? I sure wasn't. I stated very plainly I wouldn't use a 9mm carbine to hunt with. Even though my buds son used a Marlin 9mm to kill his first deer at 40+ yards and the bullet a complete pass through and the deer ran a half circle and died. It never made it out of sight.

And you do know the 9mm from a carbine still has just over 200 foot pounds of energy at 200 yards? More than a 380 has at the muzzle. And the 380 is considered a fair defensive round.

You may want to try reading a little closer to what others are writing. Or at least have your facts straight first. You do know the 9mm was used extensively in WWII as a machine gun round don't you? And they didn't consider it an "across the room" round either.
YES, you did prove my point...

It doesn't matter that the 9mm round was used in WWII. It doesn't even matter that it is still used today. You have to look at HOW it is used. It is used as a very close range last ditch self defense round. Even those submachine pistols you so fondly speak off were issued to troops that were intended to engage the enemy at close range only...

You keep stating how you'll not hunt with a 9mm. (Ethics of a clean kill I presume.) You have to know the massive 200 Ft Pounds you brag of you 9mm having isn't going to reliably stop a violent threat any more than it will cleanly put down a deer. And no, the 380 is not considered a "fair" defensive round by anyone with any credibility at all. It's a last resort, "this or nothing" weapon.

I have a 9mm PCC too, an AR, but it's for close (very close) range, and even then, I'd want multiple hits.

Not to be rude, but quit bringing up your 200 ft pound 9mm in a 1,000 ft pound .44 magnum thread.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to daddyusmaximus For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2019, 11:15 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,785 Times in 2,049 Posts

Yesterday I went hunting with a buddy. I took a bolt action 30-30 instead of my usual 357 rifle. He took a lever 44 mag instead of of his usual 357. 200 yard shots came up. My scoped 30-30 could do the job but there just are not shots that long where we hunt. He indicated he would not take a shot over 100 yards which is about the max for where we hunt. I think we should concentrate on shots a little closer to reality. The only long shots that I take are on ground squirrels. I hit a lot more at 100 yards than 400.
The Following User Says Thank You to goat daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2019, 12:03 PM
Hiker

Quote:
YES, you did prove my point...

Not to be rude, but quit bringing up your 200 ft pound 9mm in a 1,000 ft pound .44 magnum thread.
Just a little reminder for you. YOU are the one who brought up the 9mm in post #80. I just responded to what you wrote. Don't want to talk about 9mm rifles or handguns? Don't mention them to start with.
Old 10-23-2019, 01:21 PM
Retired Army

Quote:
Just a little reminder for you. YOU are the one who brought up the 9mm in post #80. I just responded to what you wrote. Don't want to talk about 9mm rifles or handguns? Don't mention them to start with.
Yeah...I brought it up by saying noway in hell, I'd try it with one... or a .45 ACP (to prove why the .44 mag is clearly a better choice) Then you jump in with how great your 9mm is...

I'm out.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daddyusmaximus For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2019, 02:12 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Yeah...I brought it up by saying noway in hell, I'd try it with one... or a .45 ACP (to prove why the .44 mag is clearly a better choice) Then you jump in with how great your 9mm is...

I'm out.
Well... Bye
Old 10-23-2019, 07:50 PM
Gatorbait

Quote:

I'm out.
.44 mag is a great choice! .45 ACP does not do the same job at all.
Old 10-23-2019, 07:51 PM
Gatorbait

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat daddy View Post
Yesterday I went hunting with a buddy. I took a bolt action 30-30 instead of my usual 357 rifle. He took a lever 44 mag instead of of his usual 357. 200 yard shots came up. My scoped 30-30 could do the job but there just are not shots that long where we hunt. He indicated he would not take a shot over 100 yards which is about the max for where we hunt. I think we should concentrate on shots a little closer to reality. The only long shots that I take are on ground squirrels. I hit a lot more at 100 yards than 400.
Would love to know the rest of the results.
Old 10-23-2019, 09:09 PM
VIP Member

I can’t believe nobody has mentioned the ruger Deerfield or ruger 44
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cuteandfuzzybunnies For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2019, 09:40 PM
Gatorbait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuteandfuzzybunnies View Post
I canít believe nobody has mentioned the ruger Deerfield or ruger 44
Well what are your thoughts on them?
Old 10-24-2019, 12:57 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Stanton View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuteandfuzzybunnies View Post
I can’t believe nobody has mentioned the ruger Deerfield or ruger 44
Well what are your thoughts on them?

I’ve always wanted the Deerfield. I love the idea. Never shot one however. I really wish ruger would make a new version. Preferably a more modern version like the new version of the 9mm carbine. Something with a takedown , rail , adjustable stock etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cuteandfuzzybunnies For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2019, 12:10 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,954 Times in 2,632 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyper708 View Post
It was 600 yards, but he missed the first 4 shots.
The deer was already wounded.:

https://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs...-shot-handgun/
"First liar doesn't have a chance." lol
Old 10-27-2019, 06:44 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,954 Times in 2,632 Posts

I actually Quoted Elmer Keith from his book "Hell I Was There."
Old 10-27-2019, 08:53 PM
Gatorbait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Observer View Post
I actually Quoted Elmer Keith from his book
Elmer Keith was a genius and deserves more recognition than he gets.
The Following User Says Thank You to Arch Stanton For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2019, 11:36 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,299 Times in 3,265 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Stanton View Post
Looking for a new rifle and leaning toward a .44 since I have a revolver chambered for the magnum already. Any recommendations? I have a lever action in a different round that I love and am thinking to go that way but am open to any advice.

Thanks!
This might be useful for you.......

https://www.survivalistboards.com/sh...0#post19849170

Note: Scroll down until you get to the data collected regarding 44magnum.

11B
Old 11-04-2019, 09:17 AM
Gatorbait

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragout View Post
This might be useful for you.......

https://www.survivalistboards.com/sh...0#post19849170

Note: Scroll down until you get to the data collected regarding 44magnum.

11B
Interesting Study. I do have an order out for a .357 lever as well