Bedliner on Pickup Truck "Paint" Job? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

General Discussion Anything non-survival related - news and information, current events, general chit-chat stuff.

Advertise Here

Old 10-18-2019, 04:31 PM
Longing For True Liberty

Thanked 54,345 Times in 18,809 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 2
Default Bedliner on Pickup Truck "Paint" Job?

Advertise Here

Has anyone tried coating their truck (or other vehicle) with spray on bed-liner material? I've seen a couple of Youtube videos that make it look pretty easy. I'm just wondering if anyone here has any experience with this and what you think of it. I've heard that it's pretty durable over the long run but that it adds a lot of extra weight to the truck. I'm also curious as to how many coats it takes to do it right and what sort of prep work is necessary. Is primer required?

Anyway ... I'm strongly considering the idea. Coyote Brown with black trim and flat black rims if I move forward.
Old 10-18-2019, 04:32 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,718 Times in 801 Posts

I've seen a few trucks done this way, but I would be concerned about weight.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to PatrioticAmerican For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2019, 04:38 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,481 Times in 2,596 Posts

How in the world do they get it on evenly though? It's hard enough trying to spray paint something without blobs here and there, etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to FalconsBravesHawks For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2019, 04:53 PM
Longing For True Liberty

Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconsBravesHawks View Post
How in the world do they get it on evenly though? It's hard enough trying to spray paint something without blobs here and there, etc.

Here's a video. It looks pretty easy but now I'm wondering how much to buy to cover my entire truck. It looks really good and I know it's durable.

The Following User Says Thank You to ActionJackson For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2019, 05:19 PM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 35,027 Times in 9,802 Posts

I asked about this two yrs ago when I wanted to get my Wifes Dodge painted.
I saw at a pickup absolutely covered by this and it looked horrible, absolutely terrible.
Wife would gave killed me if I did this to her ride.

My advise is to pay a real paint and body shop to prep and paint it the way you want.
But unless you are just thinking about painting lower trim, be cautious about bed liner.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2019, 06:19 PM
Longing For True Liberty

Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hick Industries View Post
I asked about this two yrs ago when I wanted to get my Wifes Dodge painted.
I saw at a pickup absolutely covered by this and it looked horrible, absolutely terrible.
Wife would gave killed me if I did this to her ride.

My advise is to pay a real paint and body shop to prep and paint it the way you want.
But unless you are just thinking about painting lower trim, be cautious about bed liner.

Do you know if the vehicle you saw had been hand painted with roller or do you think a paint gun was used? The few I've seen on Youtube look pretty evenly covered and well done. The dude in the video above seems to have gotten pretty good coverage.
Old 10-18-2019, 06:56 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 8,781 Times in 2,681 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionJackson View Post
Has anyone tried coating their truck (or other vehicle) with spray on bed-liner material? I've seen a couple of Youtube videos that make it look pretty easy. I'm just wondering if anyone here has any experience with this and what you think of it. I've heard that it's pretty durable over the long run but that it adds a lot of extra weight to the truck. I'm also curious as to how many coats it takes to do it right and what sort of prep work is necessary. Is primer required?

Anyway ... I'm strongly considering the idea. Coyote Brown with black trim and flat black rims if I move forward.
I looked into this for a '75 Jeep CJ.

There is prep work for it to adhere properly. The problem is if you ever want to remove it...major PITA, from what I've read. (off road forum)

I ended up doing a "roller" paint job. Haven't finished it but the fenders came out nice. I used Rustoleum Farm and Implement cut 50/50 with mineral spirits. It took a few coats because it is very thin, but once it hardened/cured, I hit it with some 1500 & 2000 wet paper.

One coat "orange peeled" but that was easily fixed with a little sanding and more coats.

And worst case, if it comes out like crap.......all you do is sand it down and go to a real paint shop.
Old 10-18-2019, 07:10 PM

I use spray on bed liner on the about one foot area below the side trim on my SUV. I drive a lot on gravel roads and the gravel chews up the paint especially in the areas behind the tires, and that can lead to rust. I have to apply another coat every few years.
If you don't haul heavy stuff in the truck bed that will scratch the spray-on bedliner off, it would probably work fine. I load and unload lots of generators and other heavy stuff, so the spray-on bedliner gets scraped off.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gavrilo princip For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2019, 08:32 PM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 68,127 Times in 20,806 Posts

For my truck bedliner, I simply bought a thick rubber mat sized for it from Atwoods in Tulsa. No muss, no fuss. 80 bucks and still like it 12 years later. .

I dd see a tricked out Jeep that was all Black Bed liner the other day. Looked pretty neat, but in the Texas sun, black is not a good color.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2019, 08:46 PM
Basket of deplorables

Thanked 2,877 Times in 768 Posts

Quote:

You can do it easily enough but after a few years it will look like ****e unless you get something that's wade to withstand the direct sun for long periods of time. In my opinion it really doesn't do very much other than add some extra weight and if you decide you don't like it is a major problem to remove. You would be better off painting it with something designed better as an exterior paint.
The Following User Says Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2019, 09:33 PM

I worked with a guy who painted his Nissan P/U truck with a type of bedliner, called Zolatone. It looked really good and they had many different colors. The finish that was on it, was rough.... all scratched and scraped up. I liked it so much that I started finishing long gun stocks with it. I used a "Texture Sprayer" paint gun and full air pressure. Don't put it on to thick or it will sag. It's heavy when it's wet but fairly light when it's dry. Years later, his truck and my stocks still look good!
The Following User Says Thank You to Wulfthang For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2019, 09:41 PM
I give up

Thanked 18,929 Times in 4,932 Posts

I saw an orange Jeep done this way. It looked great. But it was clearly a professional job.
The Following User Says Thank You to cujet For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2019, 10:02 PM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 35,027 Times in 9,802 Posts

Quote:
Do you know if the vehicle you saw had been hand painted with roller or do you think a paint gun was used? The few I've seen on Youtube look pretty evenly covered and well done. The dude in the video above seems to have gotten pretty good coverage.
The vehicle I saw was owned by the body shop and used to retrieve parts. The problem was they painted the entire thing the same dark green surface.
It would have looked a lot better if the body had been painted a lighter color paint, then covered the lower body and fenders with black bedliner.
But I can assure you that covering the entire body with the same color bedliner looks like crap.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2019, 10:54 PM
Semper Fi

Thanked 10,368 Times in 3,746 Posts

Doing it yourself is going to end up looking like crap and most likely having adhesion issues. There needs to be careful and thorough prep work done or it will peel off in sheets.

The material is also rough and pretty much impossible to keep clean of road dust/grime.

It also adds several hundred pounds to the weight of the vehicle, thus reducing your load capacity by the same amount.

Get in a wreck or need to otherwise do body work and most repair shops aren't going to want to touch the vehicle. Or the labor cost will be so high that the vehicle is instantly a total.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve_In_29 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2019, 12:16 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 23,379 Times in 7,142 Posts

While I was gone on a trip off-grid mining claim staking. My wife had mine done as a present to me at a highly recommended local auto body & paint shop that does bed liner spray ins. Could not be happier with the job they did. She never told me the cost.

I would advise not doing it yourself. I have seen a few DIY jobs & none looked very good, in-fact one looked atrocious.

Old 10-19-2019, 01:12 AM
Simple Goat Herder

Thanked 27,999 Times in 7,514 Posts

I just don't know what the benefit would be. Fewer dents from hail, or maybe scratches from brush driving cross country?
The Following User Says Thank You to Colt For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2019, 08:52 AM
TEXAS!!!

Thanked 11,232 Times in 4,329 Posts

Quote:

Someone here did this with his Jeep. Had it done professionally. Looks pretty good.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dragunov For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2019, 08:54 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,575 Times in 1,433 Posts

I had my Gator bed sprayed, and it has held up well. As for cosmetics, not so good.

Nearly anything spilled on it, discolors it - gasoline, diesel, tree spray, oil, etc.
Doesn't take it off, just many different colors of black after a couple of years.

When I haul dirt, it gets into the "pores" of the paint. Takes several good hard rains to get rid of it. Pine pollen or grass, does the same. Won't stay shiny black for long.

The guy who sprayed mine had a Suburu he drives sitting out front with a bed liner finish (green). Looks OK, but had faded pretty bad from the sun.

I'd stick to traditional coverings, in maybe a military drab, no shine finish, if that's what you're looking for. Several F1 cars have a "murdered", no shine finish this year. You get used to them, but I still like the traditional shine finish better. Bed liner paint is for bed liners.

WW

shoot straight - stay safe
The Following User Says Thank You to wldwsel For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2019, 10:20 AM
cogito ergo sum

Thanked 194,061 Times in 39,374 Posts

I'm in this business.
Every one of those do it yourself kits is pretty much crap.
If you want it done right, get a Rhino liner, Bullet liner, or equivalent done by a professional.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nefarious1 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2019, 04:46 PM
Will hunt for food!

Thanked 1,019 Times in 347 Posts

When I was stationed in Alaska, one of the civilians at the range had his Toyota painted with the green CARC paint and it looked good. I would go that route or a regular paint with a satin clearcoat before I would add all of the weight of completely painting it with bedliner.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rockin90 For This Useful Post: