Old 08-19-2019, 10:26 PM
Longing For True Liberty

Thanked 54,048 Times in 18,716 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 2
Default How do you pray?

Advertise Here

Prayer. I'm sure it's a personal thing to all of us but I'm just as sure that no two people pray exactly alike.

Christ told us to "pray thusly" and proceeded to offer up what we know as "the Lord's prayer." But I don't believe that He limited us to just that prayer. So how do you pray? Is there a particular formula that you follow or think everyone should follow?

I'm a bit lazy in this department. When I feel that my back is against a wall and I'm facing a trial, I may get on my knees in humility and pray fervently for God's urgent help. But when times aren't as tough, I may just lay in bed with my head against my pillow and reflect on the events of the day or life in general and casually speak with God. I may thank Him for all He provides or I may ask for general guidance or I may pray for folks I've never met who are suffering with a major issue of some sort or I'll pray for truth.

Does anyone have a set pattern? Time of day? Certain posture? A preset script?
Old 08-19-2019, 10:55 PM
Survivor

Thanked 21,328 Times in 5,948 Posts

My usual prayer goes something like this several times a day. Our Father which art in Heaven Hallowed be thy name , forgive us our trespasses and thank you for the blessings you have bestowed upon us , be with those family and friends present along with those not present and our Countrymen over seas , and bless Israel and Christians around the World even in the USA who are being persecuted in the name of your Son Jesus who is the Christ! AMEN! JMHO and S/FI!
Quick reply to this message
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TENNGRIZZ For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2019, 10:59 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,939 Times in 539 Posts

If I pray, sadly it's by rote.

I go with the Lord's prayer followed by the Hail Mary prayer followed by Glory be to the Father prayer. After I say these, then I talk. Hopefully you know what I mean by talk.

That's pretty much it. I was raised Roman Catholic and these were the core daily prayers that I recall.

As far as time of day I used to do it at the beginning and the end of a day.
Now, sadly, it's only when I want something selfishly.

I'm not a good example though, I've strayed, I've wavered, I've completely failed, and frankly my whole family thinks I need to re-find faith. I guess I do need to find faith. But strangely, these prayers keep faith dimly lit for me.

I wish I could add something more positive.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Cornly2 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2019, 11:03 PM
Longing For True Liberty

Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornly2 View Post
If I pray, sadly it's by rote.

I go with the Lord's prayer followed by the Hail Mary prayer followed by Glory be to the Father prayer. After I say these, then I talk. Hopefully you know what I mean by talk.

That's pretty much it. I was raised Roman Catholic and these were the core daily prayers that I recall.

As far as time of day I used to do it at the beginning and the end of a day.
Now, sadly, it's only when I want something selfishly.

I'm not a good example though, I've strayed, I've wavered, I've completely failed, and frankly my whole family thinks I need to re-find faith. I guess I do need to find faith. But strangely, these prayers keep faith dimly lit for me.

I wish I could add something more positive.
Nothing more positive than your honesty. We're all sinful, human beings and I'd be shocked if any of us prayed perfectly. The fact that you are listening to your conscience is proof that you hear the Holy Spirit because that's how He speaks to most of us.
Old 08-19-2019, 11:05 PM
Longing For True Liberty

Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TENNGRIZZ View Post
My usual prayer goes something like this several times a day. Our Father which art in Heaven Hallowed be thy name , forgive us our trespasses and thank you for the blessings you have bestowed upon us , be with those family and friends present along with those not present and our Countrymen over seas , and bless Israel and Christians around the World even in the USA who are being persecuted in the name of your Son Jesus who is the Christ! AMEN! JMHO and S/FI!
It's not always an easy thing for me to do but I even pray for our enemies from time to time. Wouldn't the world be a great place if everyone on earth woke up tomorrow morning accepting Christ and repenting of their sins and trying to emulate His walk? No more war and a lot less strife.
Old 08-20-2019, 12:18 AM
It's ok to be white

Thanked 91,306 Times in 24,095 Posts

Great thread idea AJ

Myself and wife prayer together twice a day, morning and evening. We both made a commitment years ago to do that and it has made us strong and a united front against the powers of hell that come against us every day.

I pray through the day all day, made 15-25 times, short small little prayers about all kinds of things most would find small or silly. Seems often one of the kids will call and say "Dad can we pray over xyz problem" over the phone.

Most of my daily prayer life is informal "Abba Father", just hanging with Dad.
Old 08-20-2019, 01:50 AM
Survivor

Thanked 11,206 Times in 5,725 Posts

The disciples nailed it .
Lord ,teach us to pray.
Merely Reciting words does not manipulate the hand of God .
God knows your heart before you speak so that if your not being truthful there is no sense in lying to God, in fact that does more damage than good.
Jesus said even idle conversation will be giving account for.
When all your words are regarded with the test of God's will those words will have more power.
If you are singing things you don't actually believe, it constitutes a lie.
Calling Jesus Lord and not actually obeying Him is a lie .Matthew 7;21,22,23.
Can you honestly sing "Amazing Grace"?
Jesus provided the Holy Spirit to teach us every thing . He didn't give me or any man the Holy Spirit to teach others God's will in place of Him .
My job is to get you to see that it is His job to teach you .
Along with all the things the Holy Spirit teaches are those things that concern God, including but not limited to those He puts on your heart to pray for and as He instructs.
Often I do not know the person of interest, which is just as well seeing the Holy Spirit directs the need .
Sometimes there is some one in need that God prepares me for to be His hand of God in their life, be it healing or some other need.
Either I have it to give or God puts it in my hand just in time.
I don't manipulate God, I endeavor to cooperate . It seems however though that God will do some serious intervention on my behalf .
Who am I to govern what God want's done and for whom?
Like Jonah told to go to Nineveh, knowing they would not truly repent, the fact that God gave them warning, lay judgment at their own feet they could not contest .
When I obey the results are not my problem . If I disobey the results are my problem.
Holy Spirit, teach me to pray.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to arleigh For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2019, 05:46 AM
Patiently Waiting

Thanked 13,284 Times in 4,089 Posts

Prayer is a strange thing. Personally I don’t believe prayer is a way to get God to do stuff for you that you can do for yourself eg. Lord I really need more money, and then sit around twiddling your thumbs.

For me, prayer is about being honest with your fallen character and asking Him to change your heart to be kind, compassionate, gentle and wise. It goes against our human nature to care for others more than ourselves, so that’s what I pray for - to love people I don’t like, to be patient when I’m in a situation beyond my control, to find peace amongst all the noise of modern life.

It’s a slog of a journey, but God promises it will be worth enduring it to the end. Sometimes I simply fall down and beg Him to simply hold onto me as I’ve got no strength left in my soul some days.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jash For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2019, 06:55 AM
Hiker

Thanked 1,289 Times in 492 Posts

My favourite is Sir Jacob Astley's prayer just before the battle of Edgehill, 23rd October 1642.

'Oh Lord, Thou knows how busy I must be this day. If I forget Thee, do not Thou forget me.'

I try to say thank-you as often as possible. Luckily the kids, wife and garden make that pretty easy.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Sorry-no-clues For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2019, 08:19 AM
His Disciple

Thanked 8,328 Times in 3,340 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionJackson View Post
Prayer. I'm sure it's a personal thing to all of us but I'm just as sure that no two people pray exactly alike.

Christ told us to "pray thusly" and proceeded to offer up what we know as "the Lord's prayer." But I don't believe that He limited us to just that prayer. So how do you pray? Is there a particular formula that you follow or think everyone should follow?

I'm a bit lazy in this department. When I feel that my back is against a wall and I'm facing a trial, I may get on my knees in humility and pray fervently for God's urgent help. But when times aren't as tough, I may just lay in bed with my head against my pillow and reflect on the events of the day or life in general and casually speak with God. I may thank Him for all He provides or I may ask for general guidance or I may pray for folks I've never met who are suffering with a major issue of some sort or I'll pray for truth.

Does anyone have a set pattern? Time of day? Certain posture? A preset script?
So important!!

I pray the Lord's prayer, followed by singing the Shema with my kids before they go tot bed...and I also try (like OM) to be mindful of saying other prayers throughout the day, just to keep myself engaged with the Father.

I used to have an actual verbal ritual when I went to bed of what I prayed...it always seemed canned and not from the heart after a while. So I just try to say what I am feeling sprinkled with certain things like, bless Israel, the USA, for those people I know are suffering, etc.

I try to avoid:
Matthew 6:
5 “When you pray, don’t be like the hypocrites, who love to pray standing in the synagogues and on street corners, so that people can see them.

7 “And when you pray, don’t babble on and on like the pagans, who think God will hear them better if they talk a lot.
It may not be considered prayer but I try to have conversation with the Father...or just spill my guts to Him
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to esheldon For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2019, 08:20 AM
His Disciple

Thanked 8,328 Times in 3,340 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioMan View Post
Great thread idea AJ

Myself and wife prayer together twice a day, morning and evening. We both made a commitment years ago to do that and it has made us strong and a united front against the powers of hell that come against us every day.

I pray through the day all day, made 15-25 times, short small little prayers about all kinds of things most would find small or silly. Seems often one of the kids will call and say "Dad can we pray over xyz problem" over the phone.

WOW, Amen brother!!

If more people would do that^^^^^^!!!

Praying is like repenting...it is a daily/continual occurrence.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to esheldon For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2019, 08:45 AM
It's ok to be white

Quote:
Originally Posted by esheldon View Post
WOW, Amen brother!!

If more people would do that^^^^^^!!!

Praying is like repenting...it is a daily/continual occurrence.
thanks esheldon!

Since I am convinced we are blood related some where way back let me ask you this.

Often we have noticed at a beginning of a prayer between myself and wife that we suddenly feel tired or suddenly find a hundred reasons not to pray, the phone rings, a neighbor stops by, the dogs go crazy. Maybe just me, but when we start to pray all hell breaks lose. We actually joke about this in full expectation that the unseen forces of the world will come pouring down.

Have you experienced this?
Old 08-20-2019, 09:58 AM
Semper Fi

Thanked 2,583 Times in 1,025 Posts

I was raised Roman Catholic but strayed for a long time. When I returned, it felt so comfortable as nothing changed. During the middle of my Mom's dementia the church changed the mass & the prayers and my mom felt lost.

After her passing I kind of strayed away from the organized part of the church but I pray every day - twice a day. I do it while I'm driving to & from work. No radio, just me talking to God with a few Our Fathers & Hail Mary's added here & there.

I try to never ask for anything. I instead thank him for rescuing me and blessing my life with his presence & the wonderful talents he has provided me to get through this life. I ask him to bless everyone that my life has touched, whether it was a good touch (like immediate family) or a bad touch (like my ex-wife & her husband).

If my mind has wandered into dark places, all I need is to start a conversation with God and finish it with an Our Father and I'm always in a better place afterwards. I truly believe in the power of talking to God.

Mark
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to harleyrider86 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2019, 10:07 AM
Longing For True Liberty

Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioMan View Post
Great thread idea AJ

You clearly have a healthy prayer life. I think praying with someone else has a greater degree of power.

I can't help but think that God wants a family relationship with His children. I have nothing against formal prayer done for the purpose of elevating God to His just position as the Creator of the universe but I also feel that he's looking for honest conversation from the heart.

I don't suggest that anyone else do as I do but I will actually have conversations with God where I will voice my discontent with certain aspects of my life. I've gotten mad at God in the past but then apologized. I don't know if He's writing my bad behavior down in my "book" but I wouldn't blame Him if He did. Part of my sin nature, I suppose.
Old 08-20-2019, 10:24 AM
Longing For True Liberty

Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 

Quote:
Originally Posted by esheldon View Post
So important!!

I pray the Lord's prayer, followed by singing the Shema with my kids before they go tot bed...and I also try (like OM) to be mindful of saying other prayers throughout the day, just to keep myself engaged with the Father.

I used to have an actual verbal ritual when I went to bed of what I prayed...it always seemed canned and not from the heart after a while. So I just try to say what I am feeling sprinkled with certain things like, bless Israel, the USA, for those people I know are suffering, etc.

I try to avoid:
Matthew 6:
5 ďWhen you pray, donít be like the hypocrites, who love to pray standing in the synagogues and on street corners, so that people can see them.

7 ďAnd when you pray, donít babble on and on like the pagans, who think God will hear them better if they talk a lot.
It may not be considered prayer but I try to have conversation with the Father...or just spill my guts to Him
That's it in a nutshell.

If we really believe God is real and intelligent and that we're created in His image, then we have to believe that he understands our hardships, feelings, frailties, wants, needs, and human nature. He already knows our heart so we may as well be completely honest with Him. Lying to Him isn't going to get us very far.
Old 08-20-2019, 11:42 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,138 Times in 749 Posts

Great topic.
Quote:
Luk_18:1* And he spake a parable unto them to this end, that men ought always to pray, and not to faint;
I like to pray at night as I lay in bed. Usually a fairly long time. Also many times during the day, short prayers.

sometimes I will follow the pattern of the "Lords Prayer" in Luke 11. Not saying the words by rote but using that pattern and expanding it. Sometimes I will follow the example of Abraham's intercessory prayer in Genesis 18 when praying for someone or something. Usually I will follow the acronym of ACTS (adoration, confession, thanksgiving, supplication). And many time I mix all three.

In prayer we should acknowledge that God is not just a souped up Human, but the creator of the universe, gravity, electromagnetic forces/energy, nuclear forces/energy, Human life, animal life, plant life, and on and on. God is not like us even though He created mankind in His image.
Quote:
Isa 55:8* For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD.*Isa 55:9* For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.*
I know many of you agree with the above. I believe the greatest thing we should acknowledge and thank God for in our prayers is forgiveness of sin and salvation thru the shed blood of the Lord Jesus Christ and His resurrection, which we can receive thru faith.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pinkerpv For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2019, 12:40 PM
It's ok to be white

Quote:
=ActionJackson;19723494]

I can't help but think that God wants a family relationship with His children. I have nothing against formal prayer done for the purpose of elevating God to His just position as the Creator of the universe but I also feel that he's looking for honest conversation from the heart.
So agree. I can't imagine my response if my children came to me in some pre-written speech and expecting me to react positively to a rehearsed dissertation. I would be insulted and made to feel distant. I like it when my son and daughters comes in and throw their arms around me and just want to talk.

Quote:
I don't suggest that anyone else do as I do but I will actually have conversations with God where I will voice my discontent with certain aspects of my life. I've gotten mad at God in the past but then apologized. I don't know if He's writing my bad behavior down in my "book" but I wouldn't blame Him if He did. Part of my sin nature, I suppose.
Wish I could count how many of those "angry" prayers I have had. Broken hearted, disappointment and try to take it out on him. For some reason God answers those very quickly to me. I remember Job and God's voice "Where were you when I laid the foundations of the earth if you know so much???

Did you mark off the dimensions and stretched a measuring line across it?? He seems to remind me that those problems or situations weren't caused by Him but more often by me and my own rebellion.

AJ, I believe your adventure with God is far from peeking. Your best is yet to come. I have always believed God will use you in amazing ways you haven't even thought of yet. I hope you never allow discouragement to rule in your world. I sometimes feel it's a battle with you. Satan loves to tell us we are too old, too used up, too far gone, too late to change and move forward. Don't believe that liar. I pray that your 60's and 70's will be the best years of your life. He often saves the best for last. Sorry for get personal, I just felt a need to day that.

OM..
Old 08-20-2019, 01:15 PM
Survivor

Thanked 11,206 Times in 5,725 Posts

We wrestle not against flesh and blood but against the principalities and powers and rulers of the darkness of this world.
When you go to pray, just like in the day you had only a simple phone at home , if you were not home you would never hear it ring, knowing Satan and his demons are looking to disrupt your prayer time ,your life . Something sacred IS going to be tested , the question is how valuable is this sacred thing.
Jesus said, "Blessed are they that do hunger the thirst after righteousness, for they shall be filled."
I have learned that desperation is a serious issue with God , it is why so many see no answer to prayer and their faith is weak. and much of their prayer is selfish and they are truly ungrateful .
I am saddened listening to preachers preach to God during their prayer, it is superficial and oblivious to what God thinks of it. The same for read prayers the words are not genuine .
Some of you may not know this but there is a growing group by the thousands that have had near death experiences.
One constant is the fact that your thought is not private.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to arleigh For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2019, 01:21 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,138 Times in 749 Posts

As "saved" persons all our sins are covered under the blood of Christ and are remembered no more. Praise the Lord for that. I to have had those discontent times in prayer. If we acknowledge that our failures are our fault and not God's, we have nothing to really complain about.

If we could only have followed God more closely we wouldn't end up like Solomon.
Quote:
Ecc_12:1* Remember now thy Creator in the days of thy youth, while the evil days come not, nor the years draw nigh, when thou shalt say, I have no pleasure in them;
I can say there are many thing I look back at and have "no pleasure in them". Even recently.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pinkerpv For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2019, 01:43 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,219 Times in 1,189 Posts

A life in prayer can be organized in words and rituals (and that is excellent if you have the time and luxury) or it can be lived with thoughts and deeds. Either way it is good on both types.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cat_1978 For This Useful Post: