Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 08-01-2019, 03:41 PM
The Lieutenant

Thanked 1,919 Times in 796 Posts
Default Options for a larger caliber for me

Advertise Here

Right now my biggest caliber is 7.62 x 39. I have a 5.56. I'm not really a hunter unless SHTF. Actually my wife is a long time hunter from times with her Dad. I'm more of a target and self defense shooter. What is a cost effective (yes, I am a cheap bastage) rifle in .308 or so rifle? A reach out and take down game or other target type rifle? I'd love a Garand but they are a bit more than I will likely spend. My familiarity with them is shooting blanks and cleaning them with the Vets Honor Guard for military honors funerals. My state (PA) law allows hunting with semi-autos but the Game Commission gets to set the rules and so far they have been pretty crappy about it and have dragged their feet for over a year on the topic unless it's a .22 or hunting coyotes.
Maybe a Scout type bolt action? Or an AR platform?
I'm open to suggestions from others more familiar with those platforms.
Yes, SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed) will have some say in it if she can hunt with it.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to boomerweps For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2019, 03:49 PM
Space Force Recruit

Thanked 1,745 Times in 712 Posts

Based on the above criteria and what I'm assuming you already have is an AK and AR-15, I would just go with a decent bolt action rifle from Ruger, Savage, Weatherby, Howa, ect. and get a good quality scope on it. Shouldn't break the bank and your wife can hunt with it if she wants.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 7.5x55 Swiss For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2019, 04:00 PM
Survivor

Thanked 21,950 Times in 6,971 Posts

What he said. Savage Axis is still on sales at $300 with scope, $500 on the right day will buy you a 1 MOA warranty gun.

You can also get a .308 AR for about double the cost of the bolt guns, even the cheap ones will be good enough for hunting, and donít worry about the compatibility/no milspec thing, thatís only an issue for the guys that insist on building their own, and making the gun run their special pet bits or pieces.

Buy a DPMS or a PSA complete rifle, scope it, and youíll have no issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2019, 04:08 PM
Tin Can Sailor

Thanked 5,106 Times in 1,850 Posts

PSA PA-10 is an affordable AR in .308, or the Mossberg MVP bolt action in 7.62x51mm can use both M14 and SR-25 pattern magazines.
Old 08-01-2019, 04:51 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,294 Times in 2,452 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Doh Myn View Post
PSA PA-10 is an affordable AR in .308, or the Mossberg MVP bolt action in 7.62x51mm can use both M14 and SR-25 pattern magazines.
I will say that as awesome as my MVP Varmint in 5.56 is and as accurate as it was right out of the box, I wouldnt snub the Mossberg MVP rifles especially if you need a detachable magazine option and dont want to spring for a AR-10 type rifle.

That being said...I wouldnt hestitate to jump on a Savage 10FP! This is a rifle that offers a lot of accuracy enhancing features than most other rifles. Its reasonably priced and its capable of getting you into long range target shooting at a budget price.

Old 08-01-2019, 06:35 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,946 Times in 2,630 Posts

7.62x39 will kill anything you need to terminate in PA. Or surrounding states.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Observer For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2019, 06:46 PM
Space Force Recruit

Thanked 1,745 Times in 712 Posts

I think he is looking for an excuse to buy a new gun that the wife will want to shoot so she won't make a big deal out of it, but I agree. 7.62x39 will do what you need in PA.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 7.5x55 Swiss For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2019, 07:09 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,195 Times in 3,213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerweps View Post
Right now my biggest caliber is 7.62 x 39. I have a 5.56. I'm not really a hunter unless SHTF. Actually my wife is a long time hunter from times with her Dad. I'm more of a target and self defense shooter. What is a cost effective (yes, I am a cheap bastage) rifle in .308 or so rifle? A reach out and take down game or other target type rifle? I'd love a Garand but they are a bit more than I will likely spend. My familiarity with them is shooting blanks and cleaning them with the Vets Honor Guard for military honors funerals. My state (PA) law allows hunting with semi-autos but the Game Commission gets to set the rules and so far they have been pretty crappy about it and have dragged their feet for over a year on the topic unless it's a .22 or hunting coyotes.
Yes, SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed) will have some say in it if she can hunt with it.
The Savage 11 Hog hunter would fit your bill alright, and you end up with a decent rifle for your money imo. ( Our group has a dozen of them or so.)
.Adjustable iron sights, 20in med contour tube, accu trigger, threaded muzzle, plenty of precision with a multitude of 308/ 7.62x51mm loads, and easy to add optics to depending on if you want to use them and/ or how far you really want it to reach out to...lol.

Speaking of hunting at longer distances ( 300 plus yards for example)........ I would suggest you price the ammo your gonna need to get that good with whatever rifle you decide upon.)

A few side notes:

My Info may be outdated, but I dont believe one can deer hunt in PA with a semiauto.

Optics: Leupold VX Freedom series scopes are affordable, very rugged ( as far as optics go), have plenty of eye relief/ FOV for all around use, decent coating if using them in twilight, and have a decent selection to choose from depending on what your interested in. ( example in pic below)

You mentioned an M1 Garand. If that is your cup of tea, look at an M1A or M14. Expensive, but will do anything your 7.62x39mm and 5.56mm will do and then some. Been using mine via hunting for decades. ( The one in pic below since 2003 when it was built.) It ended up replacing around a dozen long guns in dedicated roles.)

11B
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180129_175526.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	290156   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180629_153709.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	290158  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fragout For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2019, 07:31 PM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 34,722 Times in 9,732 Posts

1) A true long range coyote rifle in 22-250 or 25-06. Either will out range and out shoot your current options, and neither has significant recoil.

2) A heavy barrel hunting rifle in 6.5 CM, 270 win, or 7 Rem mag. These will take the same class of game as your 7.62x39, but take them cleanly out to 400 yds.

3) A 338 Win mag rifle, suited for heavy, dangerous game. Less likely your wife would want to shoot this one twice.
Old 08-01-2019, 08:24 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 24,268 Times in 8,907 Posts

I vote for 2 good used bolt guns. One that fits her and one that fits you. Same caliber/rifle has logistical advantages, different can offer other advantages.
Old 08-01-2019, 11:30 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,070 Times in 943 Posts

6.5 Grendel upper on an ar lower is cheap and good for 250-300 yards if you want to stay on an semi auto platform. 308 semi can get pricy. I would check out some good used 30-06 rifles or if you want longer range a 6.5 Creedmoor. The 6.5 Grendel should be soft enough for your wife to shoot.
Old 08-01-2019, 11:49 PM
Plays best, alone

Thanked 5,179 Times in 2,400 Posts

Another vote for a Savage Hog Hunter Mod # 57019. New ones have detachable box mags.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Palma For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2019, 07:31 AM
μολὼν λαβέ

Thanked 4,082 Times in 1,688 Posts

Thompson Compass in .308 - $299 on sale
You wonít be disappointed in the accuracy
They also have it in 6.5 Creedmoor (I own both)

Here is what my general .308 hunting load is capable of in the rifle.

Here is the .308 Win. (Not w/the factory stock)

Here is the 6.5 CM (w/factory stock)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 0002S For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2019, 09:33 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 4,554 Times in 1,186 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuniticFringeInc View Post
I will say that as awesome as my MVP Varmint in 5.56 is and as accurate as it was right out of the box, I wouldnt snub the Mossberg MVP rifles especially if you need a detachable magazine option and dont want to spring for a AR-10 type rifle.

That being said...I wouldnt hestitate to jump on a Savage 10FP! This is a rifle that offers a lot of accuracy enhancing features than most other rifles. Its reasonably priced and its capable of getting you into long range target shooting at a budget price.

Budget Long Range Rifle that's WAY TOO EASY - Savage 10 FCP-SR with PA 4-14x44 HUD DMR ~ Rex Reviews - YouTube
I DID a fair amount of 1000yd gunning with a 10FP. For the price I was extremely impressed with it. I did tweak it a little bit but right out of the box that gun would shoot better than any Remmy or Winny I ever shot... EXCEPT for a Remmy Model 788.
THOSE GUNS WILL SHOOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
First thing I would do with a 788 is test it and if it didn't shoot under an 1" I would take the pressure off the bbl by floating it and after that everyone I ever owned shot like it was laser guided. For the price they were the best deal EVER out of the Remmy factory.
The Following User Says Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2019, 02:21 PM
Ingloriously Deplorable

Thanked 6,558 Times in 1,938 Posts

Hmmm.....Boomerweps....The Lieutenant.....if that's accurate, then you worked in the part of the Boat you ain't allowed to talk about And next to the COB, "cheap Bastage" would also be accurate. I would know this because I'm also a vet, ground-pounder, one each. I learned how to be a cheap bastage too....from my First Sergeant. He called it "frugal"

Nothing wrong with a 5.56 or 7.62x39 for hunting small game, big game such as deer, elk (um, maybe not) you'll have to A place your shots better, head, spine, heart. Lung/shoulder/gut or any type of quartering shot probably ain't gonna cut it. Bullet type can make up for the caliber but only a little. Solid copper HP's like Barnes would be my pick for both those calibers.

For "our" purposes a caliber that's common is preferred. 308 pretty common. 6.5 creedmor not so much. Excellent cartridge though. 270 is another fine cartridge and most places stock it like the 243 but its hard not to like the 308 which can be had cheaper than them other two and in bigger volume. And with most loadings, good for the game you're thinking of.

7mm mag, 300 win mag, 338-something now you're talking longer range. More gun, too. More money, too. 5.56/7.62 300y-ish yards. 308-class 500 maybe 800 or a little longer....depends on the shooter at that point. Them first three? out to four digits and a good bit more depending.

Semi auto AR platform 308. Springfield Armory Saint. S&W M&P both make really nice 308's. DPMS, a few others. Parts readily available, easy to clean & maintain. Heavier than a 5.56 AR. Don't ask me how I know LOL.

Browning BAR. a Most excellent semi-auto in all them calibers above and then some. Pretty hunting gun, detachable mags not really tactical but they're reliable. Until your four round mag goes empty LOL.

Bolt actions. Not gonna waste your time with Remington, Savage custom (insert fancy-pants tactikool bolt gun here) Nothing against them....economy, right?
Ruger American
Predator model with detachable mags that take standard AR mags in 5.56 or PMags in 308. Threaded muzzle for....accessories. Danged if they don't shoot and every one I've seen has a dang fine trigger. They start about $389. Look at Davidsons gallery of guns, outdoor superstore you'll see pricing and different models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerweps View Post
The Following User Says Thank You to Rockwell Torrey For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2019, 04:15 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,195 Times in 3,213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0002S View Post
Thompson Compass in .308 - $299 on sale
You won’t be disappointed in the accuracy
They also have it in 6.5 Creedmoor (I own both)

Here is what my general .308 hunting load is capable of in the rifle.

Here is the .308 Win. (Not w/the factory stock)

Here is the 6.5 CM (w/factory stock)

Nice pics.

A few questions.....

Are any of the rifles in your photos sporting the factory supplied rings that sell with the rifle?

Either way.....what are your impressions of thier factory supplied rings?

Who made the aftermarket stock for your TC Compas?

I have been impressed with thier TCR22 so far. Reliable and especially accurate right out of the box.

11B
The Following User Says Thank You to fragout For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2019, 06:17 PM
μολὼν λαβέ

Thanked 4,082 Times in 1,688 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragout View Post
Nice pics.

A few questions.....

Are any of the rifles in your photos sporting the factory supplied rings that sell with the rifle?

Either way.....what are your impressions of thier factory supplied rings?

Who made the aftermarket stock for your TC Compas?

I have been impressed with thier TCR22 so far. Reliable and especially accurate right out of the box.

11B
No rings from factory. Only bases. Single slot weavers.

Rings on .308 are Warne
Rings/rails on 6.5 are Leupold
The reason is I try to match rings/rails to get front bell as close to barrel as possible.

Boyd makes the aftermarket stock. It’s nice, fit 10/10 : finish 8/10 (drop in is never custom)

The only other change I’ve made is the bolt handles. Wanted more weight and a larger knurled knob (preference)

Both rifles are using the SIG BDX system.
The Following User Says Thank You to 0002S For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2019, 02:53 AM

Hunting rifle for the lady? Bolt gun in 7mm-08. Loaded with 139 or 140gr bullets might be the best deer cartridge for east of the Mississippi. Recoil will be less stout than an equivalent weight .270 or .308. Finding ammo locally may be spotty depending on your area, but with the wide selection of 7mm bullets and .308 size cases, this cartridge will stick around for the long haul.

My personal cartridge of choice is the .270. If you may have longer shots like in the plains, the 130 grainer is king. For closer woodland shots, go up to 150gr to slow that puppy down a little. Seems like about 2,900fps is the magic number where anything above that hitting your game starts causing excessive meat damage. Zero your .270 2 inches high at 100 yards and you'll have a point blank hold out to about 300 yards where the bullet never goes more than 3 inches above or below your point of aim. The .270win has been bringing home the meat since 1925 and ammo can be found anywhere, including walmart and your local hardware store.

The .308 does the job just as well. Just again, go up to 165gr in the woods to minimize meat destruction. Not much needs to be said, the .308 stops the vital signs of living creatures boringly well. Is the obvious choice if you want a semi-auto action. Can also tolerate a shorter barrel than the .270 which really does best with at least a 22in barrel, if that matters to you.

The 30-06 is another great long distance cartridge, however I would not suggest it for woods hunting, contrary to popular opinion. I believe you've gotta take it up to a 180gr pill to slow it down to 2,900fps. At that point, recoil is starting to get excessive considering a 150gr .270 or 165gr .308 will give you identical performance on the game with a significant reduction in shoulder punishment. A 30-06 loaded with 220 grainers, however, would be ideal if you needed defense against large dangerous beasts of the Rockies or Alaska.

I personally wouldn't recommend the 6.5 Creedmoor. Don't get me wrong, it's an excellent cartridge that can perform well on game with proper bullet selection. Unfortunately all I ever see on the shelves is "long range magic" ammo. Please don't be that guy that shoots living animals with target bullets. Doesn't make sense that's what they sell since no self respecting long range or target shooter I've ever worked with would run factory ammo anyway. In the U.S., the 6.5mm cartridges have a history of being fads that fade over time. I remember when the .260rem was all the rage with the long range crowd. When the ammo manufacturers decide they can make a buck off some new 6.5 Catchy Name, I wouldn't want a Creedmoor rifle based off the 30 TC brass that you'll never find again. The Creedmoor may yet prove me wrong and prove it's longevity, I'm just not willing to bet my money on it. Wish the 6.5 Swede, which is hugely popular worldwide would catch on here in the states. And of course bring her cute friend the 7◊57 along with.
Old 08-09-2019, 03:25 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,191 Times in 520 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Doh Myn View Post
PSA 10 kit is 399 on their web site right now. It’s hard to beat that deal.

I’d personally spend a few hundred more and get a DPS however