Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 07-02-2019, 06:45 PM
Prepared

Default Sewing repair question

Advertise Here

So I'm not much of a seamster. I can stitch a tear closed, but its not pretty. Anyways, washed a new-to-me pair of Carhartt bibs today. Front load washer, minimal agitation but long wash cycle. Somehow the liner developed a large hole on the inside, kinda near the butt. If I had to guess I'd say somehow the shoulder strap buckle might have got caught inside and rubbed against it for a while.

Anyways, its a section about 6in X 6in. Most of the insulation is still in place (although if anybody knows of a source, I'd love to pack a little more in). Any suggestions on the best method to repair this? I doubt it would fit through a sewing machine, but like I said this is pretty foreign knowledge to me
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Buck91 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2019, 07:14 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,720 Times in 975 Posts

A lot of places can do "alterations". I would suggest going there and getting their opinion.

I have a place where I have gone several times for repairs. They offer some pretty good advice on a variety of sewing issues. They get things done to my satisfaction and for a reasonable price.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PoorRichard05 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2019, 07:36 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,966 Times in 1,124 Posts

Would an iron on patch cover the area?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snyper708 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2019, 08:10 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyper708 View Post
Would an iron on patch cover the area?

Carhartt is sending a patch kit, gratis. So we will see. I think the jacket will patch well like that. Not so confident about the bibs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Buck91 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2019, 09:26 PM

Get one of those hand crank shoe patch units for ab $200. Can do up to 1/2" of leather and other heavy materials. Fantastic units to have on the homstead. It will pay for itself Ina short time
Old 07-02-2019, 10:28 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,966 Times in 1,124 Posts

Sounds like a job for DUCT TAPE!!

(I'd suggest a camo pattern.)
Old 07-03-2019, 12:36 AM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 24,821 Times in 9,050 Posts

There are flexable glues. Make your patch material about 2" larger than the hole. Use thin layer of glue to fold over 1 inch of the patch - let dry. Use thin layer of glue and place patch on hole - let dry. Use curved needle and sew patch in the patch to the pants right at the fold edge. 3 layers of fabric. Sew again inside the perimeter 1/4", then sew again 1/4" to the inside of the patch. You will have a total of 4 stitch lines holding the patch to the pants plus the glue. A book and wax paper can help hold stuff in place while the glue set.
The Following User Says Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2019, 01:50 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,920 Times in 2,547 Posts

If you can find an old fashioned shoe repair they can probably fix the patch on nicely. If not try a luggage repair place.
Old 07-03-2019, 12:11 PM
Limited Access Member

Thanked 42,411 Times in 13,118 Posts

This is not a repair for a beginner, take your patch kit to a seamstress. If you have a hard time finding one, go to a fabric store and ask around, you will come out with someone willing to do the job.
Old 07-03-2019, 01:25 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,336 Times in 1,134 Posts

Simply hand stitch a piece of similar fabric in there to the lining. If you don't care about looks and want something stronger put a piece of fabric over the hole and sew it in place to the outside of the bibs, kind of like quilting.

I have a 16 year old pair of bibs that probably gets warn 50-100 days every year and at this point they are as much patch as original. They sure don't look nice but I have a hard time justifying $80 for a new pair when these still do the job.
The Following User Says Thank You to lasers For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2019, 07:11 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,899 Posts

I would prepare a patch first. Use a similar material as the rest of the lining, or a piece of cotton flannel, 2" larger than a hole. Fold half an inch of the perimeter of the patch and stitch withe the machine. Or use zig-zag stitch.
Attach the patch with a glue or the pins. Stitch around the patch withe the machine, offset about 1/2" and stitch again. Do the same a couple of times more, offstting the stitches by an inch at at time.
If can't use a machine, stitch the perimeter of patch with over-the-edge stitch by hand. Then do some more straight hand stitches, offsetting by an inch every time.
No big deal.
Old 09-21-2019, 02:44 PM

Default Sewing Repair Recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck91 View Post
Carhartt is sending a patch kit, gratis. So we will see. I think the jacket will patch well like that. Not so confident about the bibs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
----
From the image, those tears are likely more plastic-y than material. That can make it a bit tricky in my experience so far with sewing.

The filling - you can go to a Joann's or Michael's for quilting stuffing, but doesn't look like you need a lot.

I would agree with others in their suggestions for self-repair. You should be able to get a small bit of fabric (Joann's usually has a remnants bin somewhere that you can find something) and can use that to patch. Since you aren't skilled with a sewing machine, you would likely do better with hand-sewing. However, I think if you have experience with a machine, I would use it for as much of the repair as possible.

However, if you aren't comfortable with that, you should be able to take to someone that does alterations (as some have noted) and they may be able to show you how they do it for your learning and future reference.

I am responding a couple months after the post, so hopefully you have found a way to repair it. But I hope this helps anyone else with the same issue.

Happy Prepping,
SurviveThrive