Seven Bikers die in crash - Page 4 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

General Discussion Anything non-survival related - news and information, current events, general chit-chat stuff.

Advertise Here

Old 06-23-2019, 07:25 PM
Retired kafir

Thanked 49,207 Times in 11,341 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitbull_Dallas View Post
What I'd really like to take is the motor office course, but I don't think theres a way to do it..
Those guys that can thread their cop bikes, either Harleys or BMWs through pillions at walking speed in tighter and tighter circles get my respect.

However.

Trials riders rule.

Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lagnar For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2019, 08:24 PM
Target Shooter

CB-450 (first production bike with 100hp per liter) CB-550,CB750F (put a supercharger on it ) 1100 Goldwing standard ( Paid $3600 for it new ( 2 yr old leftover with full warranty).
CX500 , DT 250 enduro (probably why my lower back hurts now).
HD Superglide 1450 (made me a third generation HD owner..do I get a prize?) and currently a 2300 Rocket3 (that commands my full attention).
They were all fun.
Never a Biker , RUB or whatever other label there is ...just like bikes.
All you riders stay safe and keep your head on a swivel.
Old 06-23-2019, 08:27 PM
Survivor

Thanked 29,156 Times in 7,612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagnar View Post
Those guys that can thread their cop bikes, either Harleys or BMWs through pillions at walking speed in tighter and tighter circles get my respect.

However.

Trials riders rule.

Best Trial Bike Stunts - YouTube
I think I know the officer in the first video..

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pitbull_Dallas For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2019, 11:29 AM
Survivor

Thanked 32,534 Times in 7,865 Posts

I started motorcycles doing Enduro stuff. Great learning experience. I had a 90cc bike then a 125 cc. That was all I needed. When I finally made the move to street riding, I bought the fastest production bike made. that year. A three cylinder two stoke Kawasaki 500. For about half of of 1972, it was judged to be the fastest bike made until they made the 750.

Hardly a smart buy for a new street newbie, but I was young and dumb. I will admit I did very stupid things on that bike. I only crashed once and came away sore but not really hurt all that bad in reality. Ironically, I was wearing a helmet that day and I credit it with saving my life but I usually rode sans helmet which was weird since I always wore one in the dirt.

I was riding up a hill on a twisty country road and, yeah, I was riding fast. Went into a curve and there was a VW bug coming down the hill and cutting the corner so it was well into my lane. I leaned a bit more and hit the shoulder and missed the car but hit a pothole I could not avoid. Front tire went in and didn't come out. The bike and I flipped end over end. Likely the bike was heavier than I was and hit the ground first. I landed on my head and right shoulder. It actually cracked the helmet hence the "luckily I was wearing one that day." Stupid kid on a bike too fast type thing but I was smart enough to learn from it. I had a couple friends that got really messed up from bike accidents and two died. So I learned a lot thankfully.

I quit riding when I was about 56 yos. With the nerve damage in my legs, I could not also know if I could trust my legs to support me, plus it was really becoming dangerous to ride around here. But I was wearing a helmet all the time by then and usually leathers and such. I always wore boots and gloves. I used to cringe at the guys that were riding in T-shirts, shorts and running shoes. I sold the bike I had at the time and my wife sold hers- both 1100cc cruisers. She has since bought another one but doesn't ride it all that much.
The Following User Says Thank You to InfScout For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2019, 12:42 PM
Militant Normal

Thanked 19,136 Times in 6,523 Posts

Another victim of the Kaw 500! Too much horsepower, narrow powerband, absolutely wretched handling due to a flexible frame, weak swingarm,and screen-door-closer shocks, and so wide across the engine that you couldn't lean it over very far. I dunno how many that bike killed or crippled, but it was a lot. You're lucky.!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Old Coach For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2019, 12:43 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 5,018 Times in 1,331 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpus View Post
Since you say you’re a rider I’d guess you notice motorcycles which makes me wonder why you think that riding 2 abreast is limited to Harley riders.

I can assure you it is not.
NO it's not but they seem to be the biggest or most noticeable offenders of that safety rule.

I would say 90% of those side by side I see are on HDs.

But for the record I usually rode alone because folks even Beemer riders did not like the total miles a day I would ride.
If I had a place to get to (like the Rockies for mountain riding, love Glacier) I would do 800 mile days until I got there. mountain ride until time to go home, then do 1000 mile days going home.
Longest day ..Leave Billings Montana at 0400, arrive Manitowac Wisc that night to catch midnight car ferry back to Mich. 1100 and change. Probably never do that again..loooonnngggg day.
The Following User Says Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2019, 12:52 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedlovesjeeps71 View Post
Riding the dragon.
Used to be a nice ride up through the twisties but all the “racers” have made it stupid dangerous. I grew up in GA and used to hike/ride that area a lot. I would always see lots of stupid riders, especially when the fall leaves turn.
This accident is a horrible shame but it is part of life unfortunately. Hopefully any of the riders who were active duty were at least wearing their PPE so they won’t have their SGLI denied.
A BUNCH of us were down there for a Spring ride and we were stopped at the overlook at the top of the run when we saw a big Chevy dually coming out with about a 30+ foot fifth wheel. Obviously he never went that way before and can you imagine how many curves he had to close off to get that thing up the road? If you were running the other way in some of those curves it would have been like hitting a brick wall.
The Following User Says Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2019, 12:53 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,649 Times in 1,615 Posts

Driver arrested. It doesn't say why.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/pickup-tr...rcyclists-dead

ETA: Truck driver.
The Following User Says Thank You to Potawami II For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2019, 01:00 PM
Militant Normal

Thanked 19,136 Times in 6,523 Posts

Seven charges of negligent homicide.

https://www.unionleader.com/news/cri...fe7d81a68.html
The Following User Says Thank You to The Old Coach For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2019, 01:00 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potawami II View Post
Driver arrested. It doesn't say why.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/pickup-tr...rcyclists-dead

ETA: Truck driver.
IF FOR nothing else for leaving the scene of an injury accident.
Old 06-24-2019, 01:07 PM
Born 120 years too late.

RE- braking thread..

I would strongly suggest any new(new or new to you) bike purchase would have an anti-lock brake system.
BMW came out with them years ago and from experience I can tell you they save you from things going badly. Surprises happen and you would be amazed how fast you can safely pull down a bike with a good system.

I rode a GS, the on off road version, or otherwise, imagine a dual sport on steroids. You could run on wet sand and hit the brakes hard and not skid out or lock them up.

While I would ALWAYS recommend a Beemer bike for riding over anything else, just make your next bike purchase one with anti-lock brakes.
Old 06-24-2019, 01:11 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,649 Times in 1,615 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW GUY View Post
IF FOR nothing else for leaving the scene of an injury accident.
I don't see where it stated he left the scene. He was named as a fugative of justice, but that could be from a prior offense. That doesn't make it better at all, but we need to be as accurate as we want the news to be.
Old 06-24-2019, 01:29 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,064 Times in 2,945 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Coach View Post
Another victim of the Kaw 500! Too much horsepower, narrow powerband, absolutely wretched handling due to a flexible frame, weak swingarm,and screen-door-closer shocks, and so wide across the engine that you couldn't lean it over very far. I dunno how many that bike killed or crippled, but it was a lot. You're lucky.!
I despise that bike!
The Following User Says Thank You to Good beer For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2019, 01:49 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,816 Times in 1,129 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfScout View Post
Based on what I looked at, the club is not a so-called 1% MC or anything like that. They were just former Marine and Navy Corpsmen that rode. So not bad guys. They rode, based on the pictures, high end cruisers, not Jap rockets so they probably were just cruising and enjoying the day.

I can't wait to see what the crash investigation says but I will wait until then.
Just because their not 1%ers doesn't mean they do not engage in criminal activity. Are you kidding me with the military are good guys - more criminals in the military than you can shake a stick (2% are considered active gang members). The brig isn't just for drunkards.
Old 06-24-2019, 02:04 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEEPOE View Post
Just because their not 1%ers doesn't mean they do not engage in criminal activity. Are you kidding me with the military are good guys - more criminals in the military than you can shake a stick (2% are considered active gang members). The brig isn't just for drunkards.
Now you are just being stupid.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to InfScout For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2019, 02:28 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good beer View Post
I despise that bike!
I actually really liked that bike. I sold it while I was in the Corps because I needed money. Dug the guy up when I got out, but he had sold it yet again and I could not figure out where it was.

It was a beast. Even with the two stroke engine, that bike ran great. You just had to know your limitations riding it. I rode down to FL on that bike. Managed to get well into more than a few other states with it. It was somewhat a gas hog and I'd have a two gallon can strapped on the back. Yeah, dangerous I know, but again I was young and invincible back then.

But it is a collector model now and had I just held to it, I could sell it for a tidy sum. Much more than I sold it for. I sold a old Hodaka Combat Wombat 125 for very cheap. They want $3500 plus for them now. Damn I was stupid. I owned it free and clear. Heck of a dirt bike though. Robust and handled crashes well until my brother took it over a jump and banged it up badly. He was actually wearing his Marine Helicopter pilot helmet. I told him not to do that and wear one of mine, but he insisted. It was a tough dirt course and he had zero motorcycle experience. But, just like me, he was a young and dumb Marine in many ways.
Old 06-24-2019, 03:16 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,173 Times in 1,378 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potawami II View Post
I don't see where it stated he left the scene. He was named as a fugative of justice, but that could be from a prior offense. That doesn't make it better at all, but we need to be as accurate as we want the news to be.

Not sure about the fugitive part but apparently he was scheduled to appear in a few days for a DUI and that isn’t his first.
Old 06-24-2019, 03:20 PM
Survivor

Thanked 38,823 Times in 11,567 Posts
Default Seven Bikers die in crash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpus View Post
Not sure about the fugitive part but apparently he was scheduled to appear in a few days for a DUI and that isn’t his first.

His name sounds rather Eastern European... I wonder how long he’s lived in the us?
Old 06-24-2019, 03:38 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,173 Times in 1,378 Posts

Quote:
RE- braking thread..

I would strongly suggest any new(new or new to you) bike purchase would have an anti-lock brake system.

BMW came out with them years ago and from experience I can tell you they save you from things going badly. Surprises happen and you would be amazed how fast you can safely pull down a bike with a good system.

I rode a GS, the on off road version, or otherwise, imagine a dual sport on steroids. You could run on wet sand and hit the brakes hard and not skid out or lock them up.

While I would ALWAYS recommend a Beemer bike for riding over anything else, just make your next bike purchase one with anti-lock brakes.

I wouldn’t mind having a beemer for a second bike but it’d be an old boxer twin R60/2 man I miss that bike, non-functional front drum brake and all:

Seatbelts, airbags, doors, anti-lock brakes.
By order of importance on my bike.
As in: hard pass, thanks anyway.

For the record, I don’t mind ABS in a car but those auto-braking systems for cars are right up there with seatbelts and ABS on my bike: not ever going to own a vehicle with them if I can help it.

Some people might like them and think they’re a great idea, even to the point where eventually they’ll be demanding I have them whether I like them or not.
Hopefully I’ll be gone before that law passes.

That’s just my take.
The Following User Says Thank You to Corpus For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2019, 04:13 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 4,716 Times in 1,642 Posts

Quote:
RE- braking thread..

Agreed...I have ABS on my bike. I also have the brake assist technology which engages both rear and front brakes in certain conditions. If I brake at speeds over 25mph, I only need tap the front or rear and both engage.

Not a fan of group riding.

I absolutely refuse to share a lane. If I have to be with a group, I'll be the one who is back 25 or 30 yards. I'll get there eventually.

As far as Beemers go...they are totes adorbs.

Bottom line....expert riders rarely have to use their expert skills.

The key is situational awareness and avoidance.

For those that ride...ride safe my brothers and sisters. For those who don't, ride safe my brothers and sisters...you can die out there too.