Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MY SHTF rifle - Ruger GSR .308 Joshohoho Rifle Forum 48 05-14-2015 10:14 PM
Ruger Mini-14/Mini 30 Complete Referance Guide Cope's Distribuitng Cope's Distributing 0 02-16-2015 03:59 PM
TAPCO Intrafuse Mini-14/Mini-30 Rifle System (Black) Cope's Distribuitng Cope's Distributing 0 12-24-2014 02:31 PM
New Ruger Mini 14 Target Rifle Pathfinder Rifle Forum 36 11-23-2014 09:04 PM
Ruger Mini-30 Rifle AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 03-27-2014 07:00 PM
Ruger Mini 30 or Mini 14? Jdudek Rifle Forum 30 11-21-2012 09:09 PM
Ruger scout rifle: for hunting and shtf? tropicheat Firearms General Discussion 26 10-07-2012 09:36 AM
Used Ruger Mini-14 .223 LE Trade-In Semi Auto Rifle. Very Good Condition $449 and up apps47inc For Sale 0 06-25-2012 08:55 PM
New Ruger 10/22 Takedown Rifle (Video) - Ideal Survival Rimfire Rifle - $299 apps47inc For Sale 4 03-29-2012 01:08 PM
Alright, the AK 47 or the Ruger Mini 30 Ranch Rifle? JustADude Military Weapons Forum 77 03-30-2009 06:42 PM

Old 05-14-2019, 10:51 AM
Hiker

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Bones View Post
The USA hands out M16 and M4s for free too. So them being given has no bearing on anything. I have seen first hand how poorly hand out M4/16 rifles are treated. It shows in how unreliable they are. So whatís your point on them being given away again? More M4s have been given free. That by association of being free and in greater numbers makes them even worse. If yalls contentions is free equals bad.
I think a better comparison angle would be what elite/special operation units have chosen the Armalite design vs the Ruger design? That should tell you everything you need to know.

According to Richard Marcinko SEAL Team 6 tested and quickly discarded Ruger AC-556 rifles in favor of M-16's and they had the ability to procure any weapon system they chose.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Nightvisionary For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2019, 11:32 AM
Survivor

Thanked 11,773 Times in 4,772 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by InOmaha View Post
So which is a better rifle; a CA compliant AR clone or a Mini 14? Given the way the world is moving, I see the AR/AKs being banned first in the future; leaving AR owners with the option of building a Rube Goldberg version AR. I'm assuming that won't affect bench rest accuracy but what does being compliant do for function and actual usability?
Let them ban anything they want. Its a day late, and while Trumps in office, the AR dollars are getting shorter by the second.

If you dont have at least one AR by now, doom on you. Get in the bag with the rest of the hammers. If you think having a Mini is going to allow you to keep it if things go south, rooooollll another one, Ill take a big toke. We both might as well be high and get a good laugh out of that.

And its also a good thing Bill Ruger isnt still alive too because if they started banning things, he would be one of then first to restrict the Minis from civilian consumption anyway. Better hope that wasnt in his will too, eh? I wouldnt put it past him.

Were you around when the Minis first came out? If so, how many high cap Ruger mags did you have? Want to know why you likely didnt have any? Because they were restricted by Ruger from civilian sales.

Screw Ruger, about the only thing they got going for them, is the 10/22. And Ill bet when everything else gets banned, it does too.

With the number of AR's (and AK's) in circulation these days, they can ban them tomorrow and "try" to collect them all. And even if the general "whipped" and law-abiding US population turned all theirs in, being good little childrens who follow the rules, there will still be plenty around.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AK103K For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2019, 11:41 AM
MAGA

Thanked 15,197 Times in 4,404 Posts

Quote:
The only huffer puffer is you who is genuinely and obviously mad that I use my rifle every day. I let it get snowed on, dusty and rained on.
How's it get dust on it if you use it everyday?
Another lie or two but who's counting.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to harbinger1972 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2019, 11:49 AM
Survivor

Thanked 12,224 Times in 4,923 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by harbinger1972 View Post
I’m done with his lies and delusions.
Anyone who posts a link to support a claim and then after that link disputes that claim argues otherwise is no longer worth the finger strength needed to reply.

Being a legend in ones own mind can continue without me.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Israel Putnam For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2019, 12:15 PM
Awesome

Thanked 25,415 Times in 8,349 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlin94 View Post
This is very true and I wonder how many preppers have spare parts on hands for their preferred firearms.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
i think a lot of the regular people on here have spares, most seem to use ARs of some sort so theyre good in that category.. i never had spares when i had an HK or M1A and i had to take multiple 7.62 bolts for my AKs to find spares that would headspace in the same rifle.. ARs definitely make things easier.. but AKs are deceptively easy to replace parts on too but it takes a bit more knowledge in building them to achieve that

thats why i recommend people getting ARs, getting AKs, that they build their own.. sure they may not know how to do it at first, but its a learning experience that provides a lot of skills that most dont have, but should definitely get, i really do think people should learn how to be their own gunsmiths because there wont be any around when they need one and AR-15s make that easy enough for everyone

most the mini-14 people are casual shooters, they dont have a lot of knowledge or experience, and i doubt any of them could headspace a bolt, change a barrel, or even own a spare oprod, but thats generalizing
The Following User Says Thank You to justin22885 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2019, 02:37 PM
Survivor

Thanked 69,876 Times in 21,800 Posts

Quote:
I started to thank you, but in the interest of fairness:

Drive down my driveway in summer with the truck Windows open.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2019, 05:10 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,652 Times in 904 Posts

Quote:
Itís obvious youíve never been out mid August weeks from the last rain and itís breezy.

Iím not talking about corner proper shot twice a year dust. You kids are silly.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dusty Bones For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2019, 05:27 PM
Suburban Warlord

Thanked 19,371 Times in 5,817 Posts

I served with Dusty Bones. He is legit.

I mean it.

Seriously.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SeaBeeDaddy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2019, 06:16 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBeeDaddy View Post

I mean it.

Seriously.
Well that settles things then
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nightvisionary For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2019, 06:38 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,254 Times in 528 Posts

Quote:
most the mini-14 people are casual shooters, they dont have a lot of knowledge or experience, and i doubt any of them could headspace a bolt, change a barrel, or even own a spare oprod, but thats generalizing
You're making some pretty serious assumptions about people you know nothing about.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to hatchet jack For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2019, 07:07 PM
Survivor

Thanked 11,773 Times in 4,772 Posts

Quote:

I mean it.

Seriously.
LOL.

Was that your special unit uniform there in your avatar?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AK103K For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2019, 07:13 PM
MAGA

Thanked 15,197 Times in 4,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
I started to thank you, but in the interest of fairness:

Drive down my driveway in summer with the truck Windows open.
But he's to busy busting caps in yotes, squirrels and stuff for the dust to settle...

Quote:
It’s obvious you’ve never been out mid August weeks from the last rain and it’s breezy.

I’m not talking about corner proper shot twice a year dust. You kids are silly.
I'm on the coast so nope I don't remember what that's like. Now sand, is another story.

Quote:

I mean it.

Seriously.
Did he wear the red speedo and harness too?
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to harbinger1972 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2019, 07:27 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,652 Times in 904 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatchet jack View Post
You're making some pretty serious assumptions about people you know nothing about.
Like they only complain about people posting about shooting. Never post about shooting at all, but seem to know what I do everyday. Cool story guys. You come to a gun forum to cry about someone posting about shooting.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dusty Bones For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2019, 08:11 PM
Suburban Warlord

Thanked 19,371 Times in 5,817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK103K View Post
LOL.

Was that your special unit uniform there in your avatar?
I canít talk about it.

Not here.

Not ever.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to SeaBeeDaddy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2019, 01:14 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,132 Times in 1,930 Posts

Before civilians were too untrustworthy, Factory Mini magazines were readily available. They came in cardboard boxes and I got 6 each, 20 and 30 round, for $11.87? apiece.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to steve marshall For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2019, 01:56 AM
Militant Normal

Thanked 22,849 Times in 7,538 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightvisionary View Post
I was part of the Old Corps Horse Marines with Dan Daly. I was an early adopter of internet guns forums back in the 1990's when the only gun forum was Vollmers paintball and full auto message board so Im about as new as Jesus. That was back before AR15.com, Glocktalk, and FALfiles had forums or even existed. Every question ever asked and every topic ever discussed already happened at least 20X by October 2000 so now it's all just popcorn and junior mints.
At least it keeps 'em both occupied, so they aren't cluttering up other threads on the forum.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Old Coach For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2019, 04:18 PM
Swift Justice = 2950fps

Thanked 37,164 Times in 9,182 Posts

This post is for Tenngrizz as he is unable to get to a computer right now. The pic is his 2018 Buck using 64 grn power point
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3C72115A-BF2F-4B8F-9CD2-4C5E914D685B.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	287224  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PaulKersey For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2019, 09:17 PM
Survivor

Thanked 23,313 Times in 6,331 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulKersey View Post
This post is for Tenngrizz as he is unable to get to a computer right now. The pic is his 2018 Buck using 64 grn power point
Thanks PK , the blood on the back of his head is the exit wound he was about 200 yds + or - looking straight at me that little spot under his neck was what I was aiming for and imagine that it entered there and exited right behind his skull cap , Dead Right There and that rifle is a 582 Series Mini-14 one of the most inaccurate unreliable rifles ever , and I also have an M-4 and a 24" HB AR-15 , that will do the same thing , the Mini-14 will work and so will an AK , SKS , ETC. ETC. The Mini-14 has become my favorite since I retired from the Corps , killing too many to count Coyotes , Hogs and and a few Deer. And I have shot it more than enough to know , if RED DAWN happened tonight I am going out the door with my Ruger MINI-14 and my 1911. JMHO and S/FI! my son's will have the M-4 and AR. LOL
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TENNGRIZZ For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2019, 09:54 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 4,457 Times in 2,048 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin22885 View Post
an AR-15 with a hole in the gas tube.. snap the oprod on your mini-14 and see if it can perform as well...
I've never seen one broken, have you? And I was responsible for hundreds of them.

As a Ruger armorer since the early 1980's, I read these threads and shake my head.... In my experience, very little ever breaks on them. And I have seen guns with 100K rounds through them that were still pumping along. Like I've said before, I still have many/most of the parts they generously gave me during the schools I attended, and most that I've used were for operator error, or abuse.

The modern AR system, in a quality gun, clearly has several advantages. They've been discussed here and elsewhere ad nauseam. I believe those advantages make choosing a quality AR for shtf purposes a wise choice. If I had to go out the window at night, I'd take one of my AR's, not one of my Mini's. But if that's what I had, I would not wring my hands in despair either.

If you think Mini 14's will all be falling apart, shooting 6 foot groups during a shtf scenario, and you are not in danger if you have to face one, you are sadly mistaken. They are reliable, reasonably accurate, and very durable firearms. They will likely serve those who have them just fine.

And for those not keeping up, latest news reports confirm, Bill Ruger remains dead.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to HappyinID For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2019, 10:45 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,254 Times in 528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyinID View Post
I've never seen one broken, have you? And I was responsible for hundreds of them.

As a Ruger armorer since the early 1980's, I read these threads and shake my head.... In my experience, very little ever breaks on them. And I have seen guns with 100K rounds through them that were still pumping along. Like I've said before, I still have many/most of the parts they generously gave me during the schools I attended, and most that I've used were for operator error, or abuse.

The modern AR system, in a quality gun, clearly has several advantages. They've been discussed here and elsewhere ad nauseam. I believe those advantages make choosing a quality AR for shtf purposes a wise choice. If I had to go out the window at night, I'd take one of my AR's, not one of my Mini's. But if that's what I had, I would not wring my hands in despair either.

If you think Mini 14's will all be falling apart, shooting 6 foot groups during a shtf scenario, and you are not in danger if you have to face one, you are sadly mistaken. They are reliable, reasonably accurate, and very durable firearms. They will likely serve those who have them just fine.

And for those not keeping up, latest news reports confirm, Bill Ruger remains dead.
Finally. Someone who knows what they are talking about when it comes to the Mini-14. Are they the best you can own? I don't know. That depends on what you consider the best. And they rarely ever break. Firing pins seem to be the one thing thats always mentioned and brought up. Well you can buy good quality FPs without going back to Ruger. But if you don't sit around and dry fire one hundreds of times or use steel cased ammo with extra hard military primers I doubt you will ever need a spare.

https://www.firingpins.com/ruger-min...iring-pin-2470

I have 8 Promag 20 round magazines for mine. They have been 100% reliable. I did have a couple that were a tight fit to snap in so I filed a small amount off the catch on the magazine. Those are made from hardened steel and should last a lifetime. They seem to be as well made as the one 20 round factory mag I own.

My only complaint with the Mini is that when the rifle has a 20 round mag in it and you are carrying with the sling the mag digs in your back. I wish they had the option of side sling mounts like seen on the M-1 Carbine.
The Following User Says Thank You to hatchet jack For This Useful Post: