Survivalist Forum banner

Chest holster

5K views 32 replies 19 participants last post by  Cuteandfuzzybunnies 
#1 ·
I am wanting to get a cross chest carry. I have some shoulder holsters but want to go front....

I like the Kenai from what I have seen and read but am holding back on the 150 price tag.

I am looking for recommendations I would like to keep it simple it is not intended for concealed carry or frivolous accessory connections.

#2 ·
You need to make it yourself if you want a good price. I would want a thumb break to keep the pistol in place. A extra magazine or a speedloader (cartrigde loops) on the strap would be good. If its a big gun then a wide area on the shoulder to distribute the weight is important.

Maybe a 2 shoulder rig and a tie to your belt instead of the mid belly strap.

Diamond D rig is what I would copy/modify.

https://www.diamonddcustomleather.com/products/guides-choice-chest-holster

This is the one I designed and made for my model 53 S&W Jet. Fully lined and the alice clips fit my pistol belt. I like that it fully protects my pistol. I could make a triangle piece and clip it in for a front chest carry. I cut the shoulder pattern leather from my favorite 1911 Safariland shoulder rig before I had to sell it and the pistol to pay some bills.

#4 ·
I have 3 Uncle Mike's nylon shoulder rigs for my 10 5/8" barrel 29's. I'm going to sew a left and right one together to make a brace carry and still have one for under the left arm for single carry.

The reason I made the Jet holster is it fell out of an Uncle Mike's hip holster twice. Might be $20 in leather, die, rivets, clips, glue and the stud in the Jet holster, prices 10 years or so ago. Some time to wet form and then glue, dye - maybe 5 hours.

#8 ·
I was going to get a Kenai for my .44mag, until my uncle heard about it. He is an old school "leather is better" kind of guy, and had built a nice chest rig for my dad. Being a man of larger carriage, I figured a custom rig would probably work better for me.

I wish I'd had him make me one years ago! Excellent for hiking, hunting, riding . . . you name it. If you have any leatherworking skills, or know someone who does, I say build your own. I'm going to have him help me build a rig for my 1911 next.

(my arms aren't long enough to get a better pic . . .)

Attachments

#10 ·
#11 ·
I have a number of the El Paso "Tanker" holsters, for both revolvers and autos. Great holsters, a tad salty compared to the others, but well worth it.

I also have a PCAL Tanker, and the difference in quality is obvious when you compare them. Now their German flap holsters for other things seem to be a lot better made.

I also have an old Cathey Enterprises Tanker, and its pretty much on par with the El Paso holsters, but Ive only seen them for the 1911's, if they are even still making them. I got that back in the 80's.

Holster on the left is the Cathey, El Paso on the right....

PCAL on the left, El Paso , center and right.....

#12 ·
I'm so fat that a chest holster would be like a hood ornament on a Cadillac it's there but you can't reach it.
Seriously though, when and where do you plan on carrying a pistol around on your chest? Are you gonna go to the grocery store and walk around with a chest rig on? Man the looks your going to get. Even though you may have the legal right to open carry your gun around today's Liberal butter cups are going to freak out if they see it. Your going to be harassed everywhere you go in public.
Not to be hard on you or anything but I think your going to regret the decision to carry like that. My vote says keep it discrete

#13 ·
Different holsters, different uses.

I see and use the Tanker type holsters as field/utility holsters. They are great for keeping a gun handy with ammo along, for a grab and go type thing too.

I normally carry a Glock AIWB, but I dont take it off if I want something else along for another reason. These type holsters are very versatile there. Should I want my 4" 357 or 44Mag along too, its quickly thrown on, and out of the way of the Glock.

Lots of uses for them, but I agree, I wouldnt use one to walk around town with.

#15 ·
Check out the more versatile Hill People Gear chest pouch system. They are about $100 -$125 and you're not limited to just one gun. You could alternate between guns.

They have ultra small and light models for serious long-distance runners to carry a compact pistol for about $85. Then more substantial versions for around $125. These allow you to carry more stuff than just a gun - wallet, phone, reload, etc.

I'm going to be getting one soon for hiking and running. I was using a more concealable belly band for running but like the option of a chest rig for different uses.

Hill People Gear: https://hillpeoplegear.com/Products/CategoryID/1/ProductID/71

#24 ·
I use the 5.11 2 Banger Bag and wear it across my chest. Like the HPG bag you can use it for a lot of different pistols but it is half the price.

https://www.amazon.com/5-11-Magazine-Capacity-2-Banger-Bag/dp/B00M1QT9XU

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I've been wearing my $110 Hill People Gear recon kit bag for exercising now for several weeks and I love it and wish I had gotten one years ago. It's awesome. And I like the versatility. I've tried at least 3 different guns in it which would have not been practical with a kydex molded holster.

You can do a 1 handed draw, it's just a little slower. The bag is very snug to the chest to almost eliminate any bounce or shifting.

I would skip the satchel type bag. I have one from 5.11 and a knockoff. They are only okay for carrying stuff. They move around a lot, and would be very slow for draw and presentation. I've worn mine on many hikes and the satchel shifts, and if you bend over they are in the way, etc.

#19 ·
Find a local saddle smith and work out a deal with him. Bartering can get you everywhere. I can build great computers for a fraction of the price. Trading services for computers has been a staple for me for years. I built a local guy a computer so I could get his half bales that were leftover from when he baled fields for people. I had a great stockpile of half-bales for the animals. I also have a neighbor that loved growing things, but hated half the veggies out there. He grews veggies I don't have in my garden, and I provided him eggs in trade.

Don't underestimate the power of bartering if you have a skill/service/product that others may want to have or use.

#21 ·
I use a Hill People Gear chest pack, can't remember anymore which model. I wear it for hiking, and it has served me well for many trips, not only for concealed carry but also for putting a small flashlight, knife, water filtration straw and FAK conveniently front-and-center. The only real downside (could be major depending on the situation) is that it's not going to provide quite the ease/speed of access to a handgun that a holster will. For my purposes, it's a huge improvement to IWB holsters (not using OWB in snowflake country) and is very comfortable.

#22 ·
#23 ·
I saw a chest carry pictured in the 2019 Springfield Catalog and intermediately wanted one for my SS .357 Security Six. I found it to be the Diamond D Guide's Choice via a Google search but the price has kind of put me off ($175). However I am a sucker for leather so who knows.

I don't routinely carry but thought of it a few weeks back when there was a manhunt in my area. Not knowing what the future holds I might even find comfort in chest carry on my own property; going to the mailbox, getting firewood or whatever. It would also be convenient for driving and bike or motorcycle riding.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.