Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"The feral dog hunter" Medieval Man General Discussion 18 08-16-2017 02:09 PM
Feeder pigs have arrived fhhunt Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 44 05-21-2017 10:18 PM
Wild Pigs On The March AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 03-06-2017 07:30 PM
I think I want pigs, but have no idea about them. raccoontrapper2016 Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 9 02-04-2017 09:36 AM
Pasture prep for pigs fullofit Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 30 10-15-2016 01:44 PM

Old 12-25-2018, 06:35 PM

Advertise Here

TENNGRIZZ, that kind of action will give ya' grey hair.

Had one run at me last Thursday night.

Two boars were 200yds out in a pasture and I don't like to shoot more than about 75yds with a 300BO/X-SightII. The wind was in my favor, got to about 50yds and shot....dead miss. He lifted his head just as I shot. Remounted
my night vision and the goofy pig had run in my direction. I guess he sensed there was a hungry Cajun nearby so he headed away. At that point he was about 20yds so I put the IR laser on him and DRT.

This is another one I hunted for about a 1/4 mile and gave up on. Made it back to the truck, had put my sticks & gun through the passenger window, turned around and he was about 60yds away and slowly wandering my way. Grabbed my gear and gave him a quick headache.

I don't think either one really knew I was there, they just happened to head my way. This still ups the adrenaline production tho.

A lot of my hunting is around cattle feeders. I look at a lot or pigs without getting a clean shot. If at all possible, I try to get 90degrees of separation between the pigs and cows before I shoot.

Quick reply to this message
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Millwright For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2018, 01:06 AM
Goat Roper

Thanked 1,564 Times in 592 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulKersey View Post
Sorry I took so long......
That one doesnt have much russian in him. Russian hogs have a longer/skinny snout, and their hair on back stands up like the old flat top haircuts with butch wax.
I used to have 3 hog dogs, 2 catahoula's and one 3/4 mountain cur 1/4 blue leopard cur. My hunting buds had the catch dogs. Hogs are meaner than hell. It doesnt take much to **** em off. If you are out hunting and shoot one, if there are any others in the area you better put eyes in back of head, specially if he squeals. They are very protective. I always tried to make sure where the closest tree with low branches in case I had to evade.
Hunting them with dogs is great fun, and very good exercise. You just put the bay dogs on the ground in promising area and let them go. Keep catch dog on leash till they get one stopped. Then when ya get close, turn the pit loose.
We have actually pulled a small cage behind 4 wheelers and taken 300 pounders out alive.
As for enuff gun, I always carried my 45, and have shot some 3-4 times before getting them down. The good thing about hunting with dogs is they will draw the pigs attention, and once the catch dog gets hold of him, you can just go in and grab the hind legs and walk em like a wheel barrow. Shoot em, pin em up, or let em go. But whatever ya do, dont let go of them hind legs. Hell be moving them like KRAZY, so hold on.
All my hunting buddies moved away so my dogs just became family pets. But it is a fun sport. Be prepared to go thru the nastiest, close quarters briars/weeds/swamp cause that is where they hide. Ive waded chest deep creeks to get to where the dogs had one bayed up. Ya got to get there quick so the dogs dont get hurt real bad. Cut collars for bayers/vests for catcher are a definite necessity.
I actually built a 100' x 100' pen behind my house to hold some captured hogs to train pups with.
Folks badmouth pit bulls (catch dogs, usually), but I have been to events with a hundred pit's tied to trailers. Walk right up to ANY of em and pet em. I believe its all in how they are raised.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hawgy54 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2018, 01:21 AM
Goat Roper

Thanked 1,564 Times in 592 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW_in_DC View Post
The questions that occur when poisoning is posited is:

POISON CONTROL:
[*] how efficient at cleanup are the poisoners?
(so they’re not inadvertently poisoning pet pigs, other animals, etc.)
[*] what is done with the carcasses?
(how are the poisoners ensuring they’ve collected all of the dead and dying?)
POISON EFFECTS
[*] what are the MSDS of the poisons used?

POISON PROFESSIONALISM
[*] how much training do the “professionals” have?
I dont like seeing folks just killing them and leave them laying. That is just wrong. And, if we do get into a SHTF situation. those little piggies roaming in the woods are EXCELLENT eating. LEAN PORK. And as long as its not the middle of summer, I dont worry about disease here. But if its hot, get em on ice ASAP. We usually carried a big ice chest with ice in it to the woods. You can also catch em and bring em home and feed them grain for 3-4 weeks. This helps remove the wild taste that some can have.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hawgy54 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2018, 06:28 AM
Wind

Thanked 1,745 Times in 775 Posts

Quote:
The questions that occur when poisoning is posited is:

POISON CONTROL:
[*] how efficient at cleanup are the poisoners?
(so they’re not inadvertently poisoning pet pigs, other animals, etc.)
[*] what is done with the carcasses?
(how are the poisoners ensuring they’ve collected all of the dead and dying?)
POISON EFFECTS
[*] what are the MSDS of the poisons used?

POISON PROFESSIONALISM
[*] how much training do the “professionals” have?
The article I read explained the poison is not just thrown about. The sounder is baited much like hogs would be baited to trap or stand hunt. Once the bait is being consumed over night the baited poison is placed an the hogs/pigs are collected the next morning an a track hoe digs a bug hole an all are burried. The poison was some kinda prescription blood thinner. It seems this is well thought out an has been done around in the south to stop the hogvasion in ag areas or places where a politicians wife rides her horse in a new state park(how I found out about it). Either way it may be in the area near you sooner than later.
The Following User Says Thank You to rwtrapper For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2018, 07:41 AM
Prepared

Default Invasive Hogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawgy54 View Post
I dont like seeing folks just killing them and leave them laying. That is just wrong.
Oh? Their carcasses feed others, perhaps even other members of the sounder.

Too, the reference materials posted show the reproductive rate is such that reducing the numbers *is* desired.

In general, like you, if I’d my druthers, a dead pig would be turned into bacon, spare ribs, etc.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RW_in_DC For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2018, 07:53 AM

I've been able to watch groups for months, especially the ones in the night sight pics above.

By last fall, I had that bunch thinned down to 8-10.

Now it is up to 25-30. It don't take long when a couple of sows have 10-15 little sqealers following along.

There was a meeting with state ag types a few months ago. The guy was telling ranchers that they needed to kill 75% of the pigs.....just to break even.

My area is mostly ranching and not much farming (row crops). It doesn't seem to support the numbers like farming areas. One local guy lost 60 acres of fresh planted corn in 3 nights, to give you perspective. He just tries to farm enough corn to feed cattle.

Guys down along the Red River and North Texas are getting hit HARD...more farming there. Was in a gun shop and the owner said it isn't uncommon to see groups of 30-50+ swimming north across the Red River. I've been making a halfast effort to get access down there, but in all reality there are plenty of pigs in a 5 mile area near my house to keep me busy.

At this point, I don't even attempt to process them...It's an eradication effort.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Millwright For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2018, 08:06 AM
Swirl Herder

Thanked 7,088 Times in 2,133 Posts

Quote:
In general, like you, if I’d my druthers, a dead pig would be turned into bacon, spare ribs, etc.
The hogs around my area are too lean to make anything that you could call bacon and my attempts at spare ribs failed due to insufficient fat too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millwright View Post
At this point, I don't even attempt to process them...It's an eradication effort.
That is my approach now too.

They are nomadic - so when they visit my place I try to hammer them hard and kill as many out of the mob as possible. Sometimes I do get more than 75% of the mob before they disappear again - but there are always new mobs around. I think they splinter off from bigger mobs.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hardcalibres For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2018, 08:54 AM
I ain't doing that!!

Thanked 12,442 Times in 4,656 Posts

Quote:
I've been able to watch groups for months, especially the ones in the night sight pics above.

By last fall, I had that bunch thinned down to 8-10.

Now it is up to 25-30. It don't take long when a couple of sows have 10-15 little sqealers following along.

There was a meeting with state ag types a few months ago. The guy was telling ranchers that they needed to kill 75% of the pigs.....just to break even.

My area is mostly ranching and not much farming (row crops). It doesn't seem to support the numbers like farming areas. One local guy lost 60 acres of fresh planted corn in 3 nights, to give you perspective. He just tries to farm enough corn to feed cattle.

Guys down along the Red River and North Texas are getting hit HARD...more farming there. Was in a gun shop and the owner said it isn't uncommon to see groups of 30-50+ swimming north. I've been making a halfast effort to get access down there, but in all reality there are plenty of pigs in a 5 mile area to keep me busy.

No kidding. I never hunted except to harvest until recently, but these pigs have really forced landowners' and farmers' hands. They are smart, they breed like rabbits and they are destructive as hell. Definitely a challenge that's not going away any time soon.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BadgeBunny For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2018, 09:15 AM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 30,182 Times in 9,940 Posts

They are getting increasingly more dangerous in Texas. They aren't sure why, but there are more cases of hogs attacking hikers and joggers. Not just boars, but larger sows as well. Sows I can understand if there are piglets, it's not uncommon, but random attacks are on the rise for some reason.

I think it's because the numbers are getting so large now, they are getting confidence. Much like the buffalo herd that turned on the lions. They realized their numbers were so great, they had a strength advantage.

It's funny how nature works...
Old 12-26-2018, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgeBunny View Post
No kidding. I never hunted except to harvest until recently, but these pigs have really forced landowners' and farmers' hands. They are smart, they breed like rabbits and they are destructive as hell. Definitely a challenge that's not going away any time soon.
It's good training for night work too.

I black out my truck dash and ride around under night vision on the mile-section roads. In a couple of years, I've managed to get access to several thousand acres and have them permitted for night hunting.

Sitting in a stand just isn't that productive on pigs. You see a lot more by patrolling.

It helped to meet all the people that live near the pastures I hunt, keeps them from getting twitchy when a blacked out vehicle drives by. In meeting them, I got access to more pastures.

I also keep in contact with the game warden that covers my county, try to talk to him every month or so to relay what I'm seeing.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Millwright For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2019, 05:44 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,958 Times in 2,634 Posts

And THAT my friends is why Forrest doesn't shoot a 9mm! I'll take the Glock 22 in .40 cal just to have a handgun minimum for hogs or bear.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Observer For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2019, 12:03 AM
Any Time, Any Place

Thanked 2,405 Times in 1,045 Posts

Love that .45. Damn Pigs are Fuel for Hell.
The Following User Says Thank You to Resto For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2019, 08:56 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,943 Times in 693 Posts

We’re setting up some traps this weekend. Wild hogs have gotten bad in my part of north central Arkansas. We’ve got a guy who said he would take all we can catch.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BravoLimaDelta For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2019, 11:33 AM
Hunter

Thanked 3,037 Times in 1,144 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TENNGRIZZ View Post
I had something happen tonight I have only heard and or read about was Coon Hunting tonight dogs treed next to old abandoned homestead with a collapsed barn , was tying dogs up Judge was acting weird , Elijah and Patches my young dogs were treeing real hard saw the Coon in the tree was getting ready to load the 22 when I saw why Judge was acting weird 25 feet away stood a ****ed off Boar popping his teeth I dropped the 22 and yelled HOG and drew my 45 out of my chest rig , my hunting buddy who is LEO drew his 9 mm , just has the Hog hit his dog Broadside , my buddy hit him 3 times and he kept Coming , I dropped him at 10 feet with 1 head shot , we gathered up my Buddies dog got him home and stitched up and a shot of LA 200. We went back and got the HOG he weighed 250 dressed. I hope that never happens again in my Lifetime.
This needs to be in the rifle forum where people are claiming a 9mm is a good choice for a deer hunting cartridge.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Snyper708 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2019, 12:17 PM
Trapper

Does anyone have experience building and/or using the figure C or figure 6 hog trap? Thanks for any info.
The Following User Says Thank You to BravoLimaDelta For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2019, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoLimaDelta View Post
Does anyone have experience building and/or using the figure C or figure 6 hog trap? Thanks for any info.
Double check your state game laws.

In OK it's illegal to move live feral swine.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Millwright For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2019, 05:51 PM
Trapper

Quote:
Double check your state game laws.

In OK it's illegal to move live feral swine.
Same here in Arkansas. Unless you are taking them to an approved slaughter facility.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BravoLimaDelta For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2019, 04:17 AM
Hunter

Thanked 3,037 Times in 1,144 Posts

Quote:
It's good training for night work too.

I black out my truck dash and ride around under night vision on the mile-section roads. In a couple of years, I've managed to get access to several thousand acres and have them permitted for night hunting.

Sitting in a stand just isn't that productive on pigs. You see a lot more by patrolling.

It helped to meet all the people that live near the pastures I hunt, keeps them from getting twitchy when a blacked out vehicle drives by. In meeting them, I got access to more pastures.

I also keep in contact with the game warden that covers my county, try to talk to him every month or so to relay what I'm seeing.
Can you shoot from the right of way there?

Some counties here allow it, and deer hunters have seats in the back of their trucks that give them 8 feet of elevation.
The Following User Says Thank You to Snyper708 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2019, 04:19 AM
Fix Bayonets!

Thanked 7,566 Times in 3,335 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TENNGRIZZ View Post
I had something happen tonight I have only heard and or read about was Coon Hunting tonight dogs treed next to old abandoned homestead with a collapsed barn , was tying dogs up Judge was acting weird , Elijah and Patches my young dogs were treeing real hard saw the Coon in the tree was getting ready to load the 22 when I saw why Judge was acting weird 25 feet away stood a ****ed off Boar popping his teeth I dropped the 22 and yelled HOG and drew my 45 out of my chest rig , my hunting buddy who is LEO drew his 9 mm , just has the Hog hit his dog Broadside , my buddy hit him 3 times and he kept Coming , I dropped him at 10 feet with 1 head shot , we gathered up my Buddies dog got him home and stitched up and a shot of LA 200. We went back and got the HOG he weighed 250 dressed. I hope that never happens again in my Lifetime.
Moral of story: .45 > 9 mm para bellum

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to ForgedInTheFlame For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2019, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyper708 View Post
Can you shoot from the right of way there?

Some counties here allow it, and deer hunters have seats in the back of their trucks that give them 8 feet of elevation.
No shooting from the road here.

I discussed that with my Game Warden, told him I usually dismounted and used a fence post to shoot from.

He thought a second and said that technically I was out of the ROW.

Situations like this are why it pays to have a working relationship with your local GW.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Millwright For This Useful Post: