Survivalist Forum banner

Am I The Only One??

15K views 58 replies 38 participants last post by  softdown 
#1 ·
It's possible this question won't sit well with some people, but I have to ask...

Am I the only one who doesn't want people to move up here?

Anchorage has become "Little Seattle," the Valley has become infested with fly-ins, Homer has turned into an artsy fartsy town that becomes one giant mob every summer.

I just want Alaska to be LEFT ALONE.

Even though I work for the oil companies, part of me hoped Ballot Measure 1 had passed back in August just so that a nice chunk of the people in this state would leave.

The reason true Alaskans love it up here is because it's isolated, and you DON'T have to deal with people like you do Outside. But every year it seems like there's a new influx of immigrants.

The granola crunching yuppies who flock to REI and then think they're Mr. or Mrs. (or sometimes both or neither??) Mountain Climber.

The idiots who move up full of **** and vinegar and something to prove. You know the ones, the attitude like "Oh I'm a big man, I can go live in Alaska too where there's bears and moose and I'll be a real badass. I'll show them!"

Everybody ruining the Russian, Kenai, Mat-Su, and Copper Rivers. It's a truly depressing sight.

The idiots who jam up the highway out of Anchorage, parking on the side of the road for miles doing their God-damned sight seeing. Honestly, how stupid can they get? It's because of the moron tourists that that highway is labelled as one of the most dangerous roads in America.

Then the freaks who have the "Get nAKed" stickers on their trucks? Really??

What happened to the times when men were MEN?? THAT passes as "cool"?? Give me a break.

There's a reason that the joke goes "Welcome to Alaska! Please enjoy your visist, and PLEASE don't move here!"

I've often said that I'd love nothing more than to see the population of Alaska go from 500,000 to 5,000. Today, it's more like 600,000 to 6,000.

Anybody else frustrated by all of this?

See less See more
#40 ·
I say the same thing about my state. Im finishing off my pipe welding classes around January/February of next year, and was entertaining the idea of moving to Alaska if someone is willing to take on an entry level pipe welder. I'm not trying to prove anything, I'm not an invasive liberal but I do wanna get out from where I am now. I have the same issue in my state, all these dang Californians moving here..

I have nothing to prove by moving to Alaska I just wanna get out.

#44 ·
Interesting post. I've witnessed first hand the real Alaska.

I first went to Alaska in 1960 when my father was in the Air Force. We lived on Badger (6 mile road) then. We shot moose out the front door of the house.

Later, 1971, I was working for the RailRoad in Wyoming and saw they were advertizing for Brakemen on the Alaska RailRoad. I called and was hired over the phone. Moved back to Alaska April '72. Was sent to Healy to put add coal cars to the trains.

There was no place to live so I went to Lignite, a siding 3 miles north, and built a cabin on railroad land. No questions asked. Just did it.

After a couple years being laid off each winter, I moved to Anchorage and worked for the PD. In my 20 years there I saw Anchorage go down hill fast.

While still in Healy I joined the National Guard and was all over the state. Spent a few years as Company commander of a couple of Native Units on the Bering Sea, living with the Natives. That was real Alaska.

In my 22 years living there I learned quick that everything I went to Alaska for was better in Wyoming. Alaska went to poop and Wyoming stayed Wyoming.

In 1994 I moved back to Wyoming.

In Alaska you had to work your tail off to get a moose for winter meat. It got worse as time went on.

Its nothing for me to pick up an elk, a couple deer, couple of antelope here. Last year we finished the hunting season with two elk, 3 deer and 5 antelope in the freezer. We're on the same track this season.

I use to drift the Yukon and Tanana Rivers staying in old abandoned trapper cabins along the banks. Now those rivers are bumper to bumper with boats. Cars on the highways are worse during hunting seasons.

I went back in 2012 to my step sons wedding. I took my granddaughter and all she wanted to do was see a moose. Drove through Montana, Alberta, BC, Yukon, AK and back. Found her moose in the Big Horns in north central Wyoming.

Not saying I wont go back. I have a friend of mine who wants me to come up to Glenallen bear hunting. Still have a son up there so I wont have to pay the high price for a guide if I want to try for a grizzly. Might do a halibut trip to. Still burnt out on salmon so I'll pass that.

Regardless, I'll stay in Wyoming tell I die.

Alaska quit being Alaska in the late 70s and early 80s, unless you are super rich and can fly out.

I do miss a lot of my time in Alaska, mainly from my time living on St. Lawrence Island, Teller, or Brevic Mission. Being none native I cant hunt marine animals, but the latter two Villages are on the main land so I could have hunted caribou and moose.

That was, and I'm pretty sure, will always be the real Alaska.

#48 ·
MY DREAm of Alaska living is to get something in the around 40' class and just live on the boat on the Inside Passage in some little out of the way fjord, and when I get tired of the view of whales and glaciers and mountains, move to a different one and start all over again.

Otherwise I am stuck doing May camping trips to get there and then get away before the kids get out of school and the place is buried in people who think a picture hugging the baby moose will be OK with mamma cow because they saw it once on a Disney cartoon.

#53 ·
The Inside Passage isn't free from growth and tourists. We live in SE and are commercial fishermen so I spend more than half my life traveling up and down the AK section of the passage, plus twice yearly trips all the way through to WA. The past couple years the UnCruises have been growing like crazy so more often than not we anchor in a quiet little bay all alone but wake up to a 1-200' mini cruise ship anchoring next to us. They throw crab pots out every night to get fresh crab for their guests, so now our subsistence pots always come up empty. The rivers way out in remote areas that my husband grew up fishing on are now a constant parade of fly-in fly fishermen.

I'm afraid that the only part of Alaska not currently being overrun by tourists and newcomers would be the arctic..

#51 ·
I have a customer that has a couple properties somewhere up there not sure where.

I always talk to him about hunting up there, he said now days it full of misfits and dopeheads.

Not like it was when he went up there in the 80’s.

I’ve always dreamed of going up there but don’t see it happening.

#52 ·
he said now days it full of misfits and dopeheads.

Not like it was when he went up there in the 80’s.

True........especially in the cities. And Gangs, and lots of Murder, Rape, Kidnapping, Theft, Armed home invasions.

#57 ·
Am I the only one who doesn't want people to move up here?
No, I think that attitude is prevalent in many traditional conservative parts of the county that get over run with liberal quackery. What staggers me, is that these liberal kooks leave a sh!tshow and then move somewhere and vote to enact the same policies that ruined their state in the first place.

I understand exactly where you are coming from whether it be insulation from liberals or just wanting fewer people (even if they have the same ideals as you) around.

Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.