Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
mini gun John_Auberry Rifle Forum 13 04-18-2015 09:08 AM
Ruger Mini-14/Mini 30 Complete Referance Guide Cope's Distribuitng Cope's Distributing 0 02-16-2015 03:59 PM
TAPCO Intrafuse Mini-14/Mini-30 Rifle System (Black) Cope's Distribuitng Cope's Distributing 0 12-24-2014 02:31 PM
Ruger Mini 30 or Mini 14? Jdudek Rifle Forum 30 11-21-2012 09:09 PM
Mini 14 value Newwavenightmare Rifle Forum 6 07-07-2012 07:34 PM
Can a Lone Star Ordinace folder for a 186 series mini 30 fit the new mini 30? Sped Man Rifle Forum 2 04-02-2012 11:50 PM
Mini mag Catfish11 Reviews and questions 4 09-09-2011 12:13 AM
NEW Mini 30, similiar improvements like the new Mini 14? Katrina Guy Rifle Forum 112 10-26-2010 06:02 PM
Mini 30 Line-Loc Firearms General Discussion 12 01-14-2009 07:59 PM

Old 04-28-2010, 06:27 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,632 Times in 1,180 Posts
Default Re: mini 14 vs. Ar-15

Advertise Here

If Mas says so, I'm gonna believe it!
Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2010, 06:48 AM
HANDY MAN

Thanked 1,535 Times in 640 Posts

Simulated "COMBAT" from an AirForce Lt.Col!

Please dude, just sit at your kitchen table and review the rifles, leave the "combat Simulation"videos for guys who have been there, or even have a CHANCE of going there. POG.

He knows his rifles but really, can he be more of a mall ninja?
Old 04-28-2010, 07:25 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,632 Times in 1,180 Posts

For what it would be used for in a SHTF situation, it's about 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. The Mini is BASED on the Garand and M1 carbine, doesn't blow gas back into the action. It was originally intended as a replacement for the M-16, but they couldn't make it accurate at a price point the military would even consider. Some will shoot MOA, others, not so much. In a prolonged gun battle, the Mini will still be going long after the (non-piston) AR has seized up from the heat. Their thin barrels and wooden stocks don't make them quite as idiot proof as the AR, but that's changing. Chrome lined barrel: unless you're stomping around out in the jungle, they're not as useful as you might think. As far as accuracy goes: most gunfights are going to occur at under 50 yards, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Feed just about anything to the Mini and it will probably digest it, the AR? who knows.
My dream: a Mini chambered in 30 AR with heavy barrel, wayyy beyond an AK or 5.56 AR. Of course, you can already get the 30 AR IN an AR. Now that would be a test.
As far as Bill Ruger's letter goes: Remember back when no less than Douglas MacArthur came out against the war in Viet Nam? Old age can do strange things to your thinking. In, Basically 16 years (1959 to 1975), we lost about 58,000 men and women in the Nam. We lost 54,000 in 2 1/2 years in Korea, and 50,000+ in a SINGLE CAMPAIGN in WW 2 Where were his objections then? Age does strange things to your thinking.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mtncharlie For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2010, 08:37 AM
Proverbs 26:4

Thanked 2,201 Times in 957 Posts

Too many people don't give the Mini 14 a fair chance. I really don't understand why. Whether the rifle was an issued battle rifle or not really doesn't matter. It will fire every time you pull the trigger and that is HUGE. I'm sure ARs don't malfunction as much as some say, just like Minis are more accurate than most will give it credit for.

In a survival situation I am very certain that my mini is going to keep firing. That is why I bought it, they are extremely reliable.
What good is an ultra accurate rifle if it doesn't fire? Even if it is a rare occurrence for the AR to malfunction, do you want that to happen while you are defending your life, your family's life?
I didn't buy my Mini to be a sniper rifle. I bought so I can defend my family and my home and it will do that just as well as any AR. In some ways better.

I would say that Minis are just as reliable as the vaunted AK and probably a little more accurate and longer range due to the round. So why the rub on the Mini?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Diddy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2010, 08:46 AM
Geronimo!

Thanked 7,190 Times in 2,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_NH View Post
Mini 14 is my choice. The problem with the AR is just its looks. Sheeple see an AR and automatically assume you are heading out to hunt people.

That being said, Sig Sauer Academy is going to be offering a class where you build an AR and then take it home with you. I'm seriously considering taking the class.
When and where is that going to happen? I've taken their pistol course and it was first rate ... but I cannot find anything on this AR build class? Will they be building 556s?
Old 04-28-2010, 08:48 AM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diddy View Post
I would say that Minis are just as reliable as the vaunted AK
Not by a long shot. Minis can be very problematic. Some are great shooters right out of the box, so you can waste big money tuning, and they still end up so-so shooters.

The over heating problem of the early ones turned me off from ever owning another. Rapid firing jamming was another.

I have friends that own lots of them, and over the years have made them shoot very well. 90% of all AKs work great right out of the box, and can be beat, and abused and still work.

If own an AR or an AK way before I ever touched a mini again
Old 04-28-2010, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LD 50/50 View Post
Not by a long shot. Minis can be very problematic. Some are great shooters right out of the box, so you can waste big money tuning, and they still end up so-so shooters.

The over heating problem of the early ones turned me off from ever owning another. Rapid firing jamming was another.

I have friends that own lots of them, and over the years have made them shoot very well. 90% of all AKs work great right out of the box, and can be beat, and abused and still work.

If own an AR or an AK way before I ever touched a mini again
Sounds like your experience is with the old mini. The new ones have much better barrels so the overheating is not a problem. I have also rapid fired three 20 round mags through mine and every round cycled flawlessly. So from my experience with a new mini, I'm stickin with it!

And I'm not knocking AKs by any means. I am heavily looking at an Arsenal SGL-21 right now.
The Following User Says Thank You to Diddy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2010, 10:50 AM
Rogue Element

I have a new 580 series Mini 14 and love it. It was way more accurate than I expected out of the box based on my previous experiences with Minis. My wife prefers shooting the Mini over my AR, she says it just feels better when she is shooting. Just my 2 cents.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ShinigamiByrd For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2010, 02:52 PM
I stand alone!

Thanked 4,747 Times in 1,944 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyape View Post
Simulated "COMBAT" from an AirForce Lt.Col!

Please dude, just sit at your kitchen table and review the rifles, leave the "combat Simulation"videos for guys who have been there, or even have a CHANCE of going there. POG.

He knows his rifles but really, can he be more of a mall ninja?
Wow Rambo FYI I am a Vet and have served. I have used the M4 and think it is a great weapon for 2 legged creatures when one doesn't have to engage in a urban setting where one will probably have to shoot through barriers or when ranges don't get too long. Also the AR/M4 platform is wonderfully modular and can be swapped up to work in a ton of different situations. Having said that if your knocking the Mini you are either just ignorant as to the evolution of the weapon and the improvements they have made to it recently or you are just one of those people that every thing other than a AR sucks.... So you might want to stay in your kitchen a little bit more and cook yourself another burrito while some of us who have actually been deployed give accurate assessments of a weapon
Old 04-30-2010, 05:37 AM
Doubts Most Everything

Thanked 5,168 Times in 2,606 Posts

You can get cheap 30 round Tapco mags for the Mini 14 now.

I just shot my first rounds through them yesterday...flawless, seem well made like most all Tapco stuff.

$12 from MidWestHuntersOutlet, buck or so more from CTD, etc.

http://tapco.com/products/ruger/inde...&productId=145

- OS
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oh Shoot For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2010, 08:31 AM

I plan on picking up a couple of the 30 rounders. They're not something I would use very often. Other than first testing them out I doubt I would use it much at all. I like the look of the 20s better.
BUT - and it's a big BUT, if I ever got into a shootout situation I would want to have 30 over 20 for obvious reasons.

ALSO, I'll add - If any of you mini 14 owners are interested. Check out this link.
http://perfectunion.com/vb/showthread.php?t=76067
Old 05-01-2010, 03:52 PM

My vote is for the AR based on three reasons. Reiable magazines readily available (some aftermarket mini mags not made by ruger may have feeding issues, but not all). There is about every kind of aftermarket accessory available for the AR platform. Third are the availablity of parts for the AR so if it goes down in the field due to extractor failing, or the gas rings failing you can buy parts for these (some are already packaged in sealed plastic) so you can fix it in a situation where you can't send it to a gunsmith or the factory.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choctawhunter85 View Post
My vote is for the AR based on three reasons. Reiable magazines readily available (some aftermarket mini mags not made by ruger may have feeding issues, but not all). There is about every kind of aftermarket accessory available for the AR platform. Third are the availablity of parts for the AR so if it goes down in the field due to extractor failing, or the gas rings failing you can buy parts for these (some are already packaged in sealed plastic) so you can fix it in a situation where you can't send it to a gunsmith or the factory.
I'm not disputing what you've written here. But for me, it's about reliability. The rifles/weapons I'm purchasing now are for the unsavory world we will very likely be living in.
In a post SHTF world, TEOTWAWKI, WROL etc... you are not going to be ordering parts. You'd best have them on hand already. Having said that, I am going with the rifle that is less prone to failure and malfunction. That is the Mini 14.
I'm not knocking ARs at all. I like them and think they are great shooting rifles. I'm not ex military, I've not been trained to break them down with my eyes closed and learned all their intricacies. The Mini is an accurate and very easy weapon to use and maintain.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:47 PM
Scandinavian survivor

Thanked 4,280 Times in 1,889 Posts

When are we gonna get an AR vs Mini sticky? This subject inevitably pops up every four months or so...
Old 05-03-2010, 09:12 PM
Hunter

I now have an AR, Mini, SKS, and hopefully soon an AK.

Are my bases covered? (well assuming I get the AR)
The Following User Says Thank You to Ritepath For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2010, 10:53 PM
Camper #9

I had mini's and AR's. Dumped the Mini's for most of he reasons stated here. Last year I got to thinking about a stash piece or boat gun, in the caliber of the day. An all weather mini came to mind. A Stainless/synthetic semi auto in .556, with the 7 20rd stainless precision mags I have, it would be quite the ticket. I spotted a LE model with a flash suppressor and grabbed it. Really surprised with the new design. Good shooter, fast handling and very reliable so far. It is become a favorite. In fact a few weeks ago I bought it a twin brother. Can't even compare it to the old ones IMO. I still love my Colt's, but these new Mini's will do the job too. Especially in the weather.

Just know what you're weapon will do, and act accordingly. Mini's will do pleanty and would be a great SHTF choice.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Magman77 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritepath View Post
I now have an AR, Mini, SKS, and hopefully soon an AK.

Are my bases covered? (well assuming I get the AR)
Ritepath,
I'd say you have your bases covered. I'm working towards that too. But I would add one thing, get some duplicates going. Make you sure you have at least one identical type of rifle, i.e. two minis or two of the same AR, AK...

Having the mini and the AR is good since they are the same caliber same goes for the AK and SKS. But having the same rifle takes it much further in case something would happen to the other.

Just my opinion.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Diddy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2010, 08:44 PM
Camper #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diddy View Post
Ritepath,
I'd say you have your bases covered. I'm working towards that too. But I would add one thing, get some duplicates going. Make you sure you have at least one identical type of rifle, i.e. two minis or two of the same AR, AK...

Having the mini and the AR is good since they are the same caliber same goes for the AK and SKS. But having the same rifle takes it much further in case something would happen to the other.

Just my opinion.
I agree with the duplicate or similar weapon idea. If the only one you have of something breaks, your magazines may have just become barter items.

My 4 main magazine fed types are 2 Mini's, 2 Colt AR's, 3 Camp-9's, and 5 10-22's. They give me a pretty cozy feeling.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Magman77 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2010, 01:36 PM
In memory of Rokitdog

Thanked 29,717 Times in 10,354 Posts

I too own both. In the 70's I owned A Colt AR-15 and a Mini-14, and the AR far out performed the mini in most respects. After screwing up an couldn't own guns for ten years ( CA misdeamenor gun charge) the first rifle I bought was the Mini because I didnt think I could get an AR. After discovering I could get AR's with the Ca legal bullet button, Of course I got one ( Busmaster M-4). I have found the Mini was vastly improved over the older models, and the M-4 was of lower quality than my original Colt.
While I prefer the M-4, the Mini has surpassed all my expectations. I think the brand and model of the AR platform is more the determining factor of which is better, rather than a general claim that the AR is better. Either way I love them both!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rokitman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2010, 04:38 PM
I stand alone!

Thanked 4,747 Times in 1,944 Posts

Again, I'm not posting this to say that the Mini is better than the AR... I will go record as saying it is NOT... But I will also go on record as saying it is NOT worse, Just different.
Here is a thread that has had 82 police officers that carry it, shoot it, train on it, and stake there lives on it. Out of the 82 there are only a couple that don't like it. And of those, several like the Mini but prefer the Mini-30 because of the cartridge. So it is almost a unanimous approval of the weapon as a Patrol Carbine.... I would say that goes a little towards the use as a SHFT weapon seeing as how this is the only reason one of these officers would ever use one

http://policelink.monster.com/produc...-ruger-mini-14
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CZDiesel For This Useful Post: