Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
More uncommon items in your backpack. maxwell2287 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 43 03-31-2019 12:00 PM
Winter only Items in your pack? joshiedoom Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 37 02-25-2019 10:16 PM
If you could only have 3 items in your Wilderness Survival pack, what would it be? Chris22 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 263 02-25-2019 09:18 PM
Recap of Uncommon Items In Your Bug Out Bag (BOB) UtahJackson Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 68 02-22-2019 03:55 AM
Nitrogen Pack Rice and other items caleb.rumeida Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 7 02-21-2019 09:43 PM
Top 3 valuable pack items under 100 grams? twyggy Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 75 10-15-2017 08:56 PM
WTT items wax/pack/club/optics Tundrascout Looking for - want to buy 2 03-22-2015 09:31 PM
Uncommon items at your BOL Cool Hand Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 14 01-14-2014 01:43 AM
How many people pack their little items in... Gunner65 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 30 10-11-2010 09:33 PM
Split your back pack items. MT Patriot Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 7 08-21-2009 08:56 AM

Old 11-19-2009, 08:54 PM
Prepared

Advertise Here

Quote:
My last unique thing I'll list is for my BOB, it's a 1 lb (I know that's a lot to you ultra lighters ) bag of calcium hypochlorite powder (50-70%, commonly known as pool shock). Calcium Hypochlorite has been used for water purification by the military and this one pound bag is enough to purify up to 10,000 gallons of water (unbelievable no?), plus it doesn't degrade like bleach and would be an AMAZING/light bartering tool.
That stuff gives off a gas that corrodes metal. If you have it in your BOB, reconsider it.

If you put it into a plastic bag, you will see that the bag fills with the gas fairly quickly. It's not overnight, but it's not something you may not want around your BOB metals.

I'm with you on the sardines though.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MMII For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2009, 04:23 PM

I looked at this thread quite a bit.
A lot of great info!

I did not notice anyone mentioning vicks rub
for 2 reason I can think of..
A FEMA friend said it was the only thing that saved her from smelling all the nasty smells when she worked Katrina doing house searches. she would put a little bit under her nose

then of course what it is made for.
The Following User Says Thank You to ShadowAlpha For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2009, 04:39 PM

Default playing cards

old pack i've had for ages. keep them for good luck and to pass the time.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:49 PM
Adventurer

Thanked 26,551 Times in 10,481 Posts

i have a diawa minispin ultralight its 40 bucks and has strap loops to be able to strap it on to your ruck you can fish most places and itl make it were you dont nessisarily need to carry as moch food or supplement what you brought

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st..._SearchResults
Old 11-23-2009, 10:36 PM

I carry a old Ronco pocket fisherman. My Grandfather gave it to me. Has a compartment in the back to store lures, weights, hooks ect... very handy largest catch to date is a 16lb. blue cat on 8 pound test, and 2 rolls of extra line for all kinds of uses one roll 8lb. the other 35lb. spider wire line.

These poles are still sold check out the Ronco web site.

http://www.ronco.com/rco_prodlistsea...All%20Products
The Following User Says Thank You to wildthing-23 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2009, 03:28 AM
See you in my Scope

Thanked 5,764 Times in 1,498 Posts

I just added a towel.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowAlpha View Post
I looked at this thread quite a bit.
A lot of great info!

I did not notice anyone mentioning vicks rub
for 2 reason I can think of..
A FEMA friend said it was the only thing that saved her from smelling all the nasty smells when she worked Katrina doing house searches. she would put a little bit under her nose

then of course what it is made for.
Vicks is also great for taking the itch out of mosquito bites. A little dab on the welt and it stops itching like magic. May work for other bites, but Iíve never tried it.
Jon
The Following User Says Thank You to JON MATH For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2009, 03:25 PM

just use your knife to cut your nails. no need for nail clippers pretty boy lol. i guess the stranged thing i can think of that i carry is a wad of pine sap.
Old 11-28-2009, 09:24 PM

potantsuem

do you know how to make a solar panel light source from the old motion sensor lights work
Old 11-29-2009, 07:56 AM

Sandpaper, wood file and spokeshave for constructing selfbows more conveniently.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:10 PM
Caseyboy

Thanked 7,216 Times in 1,406 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

I have a flint and steel, lots of timder in a plastic bag and lots of plain condoms. You can carry water in them, slip one over your rifle to keep rain and dust from getting in the barrel and of course you can keep them handy to welcome social encounters.

Caseyboy
Old 11-29-2009, 12:21 PM
Padre of the holy weld.

Heres a couple of things I carry. J-B weld, coat hangers, a metal file, and petrolium jelly.
weld and hangers can make just about anything. I made a knife with a stone and my file, plus it can be used as a hack saw.
And the jelly really comes in handy when you aren't used to walking long distant and your legs chap. Plus you can use it to start fires.
Old 11-29-2009, 02:42 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdog999 View Post
someone mentioned on one post that he/she would carry a mouse trap in their pack. If the mouse trap catches a chipmunk or mouse or whatever. Wouldn't that scent of decomp/death left by the trapped critter deter any future critters from approaching that baited trap in the future, or is this person saying that it would be operating more like a snare where the critter would hit it at high speed and not detect the scent of the trap
I have rat traps in my attic and garage that have caught dozens of mice over the years. Some of which were in the trap for a couple days before I reset them.
The Following User Says Thank You to Baja For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2009, 11:03 PM

I thought I'd share a couple of things I carry with me in my pack up here in AK. A hot water bottle for one... I've tried using my Nalgene to conserve on space etc. but it doesn't deal with the heat as well and it cools off too fast.
I also carry a curved carving knife for rounding poles, making bowles, spoons etc. more of a long term item in case the boat/plane etc. doesn't come for me!

Mountaintrekker
Old 11-30-2009, 09:27 AM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cht35 View Post
just use your knife to cut your nails. no need for nail clippers pretty boy lol.
Nail clippers cut fishing line really well, they can cut of dead skin thats still attached to live skin really close so you dont keep catching it and make a pretty good pair of tweezers
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to polar_bear For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2009, 09:35 PM
FOX ON THE RUN

Go ahead and laugh. But 3 hairnets in a cleaned and dried dip can. I'm a butcher so not that hard to get. They weigh nothing and I can think of a thousand uses. My initial plan was for mosquito netting. (Anyone else out here from SC? ) They'd understand why haha. Also a small plastic folding clothes hanger. Also a million uses. The dip can was just to keep them dry and also could be used itself...
and like taco bell says... think outside the box folks
Old 12-02-2009, 07:19 PM

for me i carry a small pistol it is an air pistol and runs of co2 or hpa i also carry a pump for it for me the extra weight of the pump like 3 lbs isnt a big deal but the gun is compact and very powerful will take a number of small game animals to help me eat well and lead pellets are cheap and i can carry a tin of 500 in my pocket very easily
Old 12-02-2009, 11:36 PM
Padre of the holy weld.

I carry a mini clone of Chuck Norris in my back pack.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bravo1983 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2009, 11:45 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 1,084 Times in 612 Posts

Probably about the same thing as you do.I just may use them in different ways than you.Example :eat a matchstick a day and you will sweat out the sulfur to keep ticks and fleas off you.Is a marinecorp trick i learned in parris island.I do carry a 18 guage kneedle in case i need to do a kneedle decompression on myself.With a condom to act as a one way valve.Learned that in mercenary school last year.
Old 12-04-2009, 02:24 PM

I carry a bag of bear feces.
The Following User Says Thank You to HeSaveDave For This Useful Post: