***Ladies Section*** Tattoo Rant - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Ladies Section The Girlvivalists Hangout Area.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
survival tattoo? troymiles General Discussion 118 04-18-2013 12:09 PM
Tattoo's Smudge Religious Discussion 43 09-03-2012 03:21 AM

Old 05-22-2016, 03:48 PM
Forward, into the fray!

Thanked 8,923 Times in 2,657 Posts

Advertise Here

Yes, you judge them by appearance first. First impressions and all. But you don't get to comment on physical things you don't like. Keep it to yourself that 400 lb women should not wear bikinis or that knee-high red striped socks and shorts do not go with pin stripe suit tops. Kind of like ugly babies... heaven knows you'd never tell some mother her child looks like an orangutan. Just tell the poor thing her child has lovely eyes and keep the rest to yourself.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to BabyBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2016, 07:04 PM

Don't try to explain them. Just smile and take their money. It's your ink wear it proudly.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CJay For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2016, 04:55 AM

I turn these things back on the person. "WHY would you want to hurt my feelings like that?" I stare with a hurt look for ten long, uncomfortable seconds before I walk away.

You are saying something when you comment that you don't like something. You might not be saying it directly to someone's face but you are saying it. We need to remember that we think and say and do is a reflection of ourselves rather than the people we're judging.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to WildernessRobin For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2016, 05:54 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,659 Times in 1,128 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogmom View Post
Ok...so I am a 40 something year old female with four tattoos. My most recent tattoo is my most visible, but what it represents to me is a huge loss, mile stone and promise of the future. It was designed for me, through tears, by the most amazing tattoo artist I have ever met. All of my tattoos have very personal meaning to me...none of them were put on my body without a lot of thought or emotion. Each one of them has an emotional response from me personally.

Today, while my husband and I were setting up for our first gun show since our little gun shop opened, I was approached by a man in a wheel chair. I asked him if he needed assistance. His response was "I hate to see such a beautiful woman covered in tattoos". He could only see the one on my forearm. Without being rude, I tried to explain the meaning behind my tattoo to him, and he just wouldn't hear it.

Anyone else have an experience like this? I hate it, because I didn't get my first tattoo until way unto my 30's an every one of them has so much meaning to me, I couldn't imagine not having them.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
you're tatoos had no meaning to him, so you can't expect him to even want to hear your side. men are not women. men are visual and sexual creatures. if it is his preference to see just skin, than that is his preference. i knew a guy who didn't even like beauty marks or freckles...just clear beautiful skin.

this man was paying you a compliment by calling you beautiful just as you were the day you were created you even though you are an older woman. accept it for what it was even though it was not perfect.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to francessanne For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2016, 11:44 AM

No,I've never had the experience because I don't have tattoos.
But...some people will try to find something nasty to say because that is who they are,nasty.
I worked with the general public for two decades.
I met a lot of nice people and also met a bunch of jerks.
Jerks that think they can say whatever they want to you.
They can say whatever nasty thing they want and will.
Try not to take it personally. That is how that person communicates with everyone.
Just,whatever you do,don't bring yourself down to their level.
I would not let anyone know that they"hurt my feelings". Quite possibly that is the reaction they are looking for. Do not indulge that wish.

Last edited by silverwaterlady; 05-25-2016 at 11:46 AM.. Reason: Grammar
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to silverwaterlady For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2016, 11:51 AM
Survivor

Thanked 9,312 Times in 3,539 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleKitty View Post
I don't like tats. I don't like the look of them on people. I think they're a terrible waste of money. I would NEVER get one.

That said, I don't say anything. My brother has them. If he asked (but he doesn't care) I would tell him I'm not a fan.

I am generally subject to a lot of very rude comments about my hair. I grow it out and cut it. When I cut it a lot of people criticize me and get angry about it. Funny, I thought it was my hair. So, I get that.

Generally I am most criticized by people groups who have trouble growing long, wavy, hair. They get very angry I *dared* to "chop" it. I tell them they don't understand it's a big hassle and they shut up.
I have done that before....( the hair thing) . Mine is fairly long but not great looking. I do envy people with really long beautiful hair and when I see them chop it all off, I feel like it is such a waste for them to have nice hair like that and then chop it all off and have it short ( and most of the time the long hair looks much nicer)
I will TRY not to do that again, I always thought it was sort of a compliment, but I guess you are right...

Agree on the tattoos , I don't like them, and got on my daughter's case for getting one, but would not comment on anyone else's , not my business

one more thing: people in different culture don't find it rude to comment on things Americans find rude and wouldn't do btw. If I go to see my relatives in Europe, and have gained a few pounds, they would see nothing wrong with saying " man , you have gotten really fat since we saw you last! "
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sonya1 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2016, 01:44 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,026 Times in 814 Posts

Shame on him for commenting out loud. He can think what he wants....but voicing is another thing.

I don't have any tattoos. Some are tasteful or meaningful....and some simply aren't. I was in the grocery one day and a lovely young lady, probably 19 or 20, checked out ahead of me, with cascading stars from her forehead to jaw bone. I'm sure she feels its a great idea. I wonder what that will look like in 30 years. I wonder if that will affect her getting a job someday. I can wonder, but its none of my business.

I'm not sure I would bother any more with a tattoo. It wouldn't be something I would care to have exposed. With my luck and age, I'd tattoo a happy face and it would turn to a frown. lol
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CBP For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2016, 09:19 PM
not sure yet

Thanked 2,980 Times in 672 Posts

1> People put too much value in the opinions of others. Don't seek validation from stangers, media, etc.
2> It is easy to judge people. It is much harder to get to know and learn about people. To learn their story, to hear what they have lived through, why they are they way they are. To do so means being vulnerable. Realizing that you too could be there but for one small twist of fate, bad choice, wrong step.. It can all come to a screaching halt more quickly than makes anyone feel safe, warm, and happy.
3> See #2 because it goes both ways. It is easier to lash out than to... anything.

Maybe the next time someone sucker punches you with an outlandish comment you will pause. Maybe you will make a difference, even if not obvious right away. If you are not interested in that aspect you should not be terribly interested in the outllandish comment either. Just FUJIMO....Movin On....
The Following User Says Thank You to Keron For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2016, 08:39 AM
Off the leash

Thanked 2,064 Times in 873 Posts

sardog just saw last night that our son now has 12 tattoos.

The fact that he is getting or has them isn't what aggravates me so much as the why and lack of thought given to his future.

He is getting so many because his wife has 20+ and he wants to have as many as she does. If that's not crazy enough, he is in the Army with less than 2 years left to go and no idea what he can or will do after he gets out. So instead of trying to save money for his future, he's spending it on that crap!

Sorry, for my mini rant, but since it's my kid I felt I could comment.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mrs.sardog For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2016, 09:03 AM

That's the thing about free speech. Anyone can tell you they don't like your tattoos. And you can tell anyone else that you don't like theirs. But they are also free to give their opinion of you.

People do tend to place a lot of importance on apperance. I care about mine. But much of the fear over tattoos ruining someone's future is just that fear. Anymore tattoos aren't seen as the mark of a degenerate. Well not nearly as much as they were in the past.

Heck. I used to see a guy inked from wrist to chest and a full back piece all the time on poker runs. Imagine my surprise when I saw him when I reported for jury duty a few months ago. He was the judge.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CJay For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2016, 07:16 AM
Canning queen

Thanked 1,283 Times in 627 Posts

ITA on the "why would you hurt my feelings like that?" I've also found that getting to the root of the problem you are having usually will wither bring a quick apology (better raised people) or uncomfortable silence (poorly raised people). And see that right there? That was totally me judging them based on their manners or lack thereof.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to catfeet For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2016, 07:48 AM
Hunter

Thanked 3,459 Times in 1,519 Posts

When my cousin died in April, it was the first time his older brother's daughter came back here since they moved to NC in 1985. She has a number of tats, mostly easily covered..the other remaining cousin, her Uncle made a big deal of it as we sat around visiting with other family members..asking how many she had. When she gave the number, which I've forgotten, he visibly sat up straighter in his chair and waved at his adult daughter and said, "she only has 3!" His daughter rolled her eyes and said, "5." He also made little remarks to his daughter in front of the crowd, to the effect that she shouldn't worry, she's still the favored grandaughter..mind, his mom hadn't said or done anything wrong, and neither had either granddaughter..he was just projecting his fears and biases, trying to make the one from afar feel small. Some people desperately need to find ways to feel better about themselves by making others feel small. I have so many other tales about this branch of the family..suffice to say, I had to distance myself too.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ksmama10 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2016, 08:02 AM
I ain't doing that!!

Thanked 12,439 Times in 4,655 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmama10 View Post
When my cousin died in April, it was the first time his older brother's daughter came back here since they moved to NC in 1985. She has a number of tats, mostly easily covered..the other remaining cousin, her Uncle made a big deal of it as we sat around visiting with other family members..asking how many she had. When she gave the number, which I've forgotten, he visibly sat up straighter in his chair and waved at his adult daughter and said, "she only has 3!" His daughter rolled her eyes and said, "5." He also made little remarks to his daughter in front of the crowd, to the effect that she shouldn't worry, she's still the favored grandaughter..mind, his mom hadn't said or done anything wrong, and neither had either granddaughter..he was just projecting his fears and biases, trying to make the one from afar feel small. Some people desperately need to find ways to feel better about themselves by making others feel small. I have so many other tales about this branch of the family..suffice to say, I had to distance myself too.
My entire family is like him. I haven't seen any of them in nearly 20 years now. I am a MUCH happier person for it.
The Following User Says Thank You to BadgeBunny For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2016, 08:36 AM

Some people are just rude! I was never a fan of tattoos and yet never commented to anyone about them. There are still some people who have tattoos that I just can't understand WHY they would want THAT one on their body. That being said I got my first tattoo at about 43. Like the OPs post, mine holds very special meaning and is actually quite a work of art (as everyone who comments on it tells me).

I wonder if that jerk ever tells women he thinks they shouldn't wear makeup? I don't wear makeup and also think some women are trying to make themselves look completely clownish but I don't comment. It's not my body!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FrugalFannie For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2016, 12:59 AM

I'll never understand what makes people think they need to tell perfect strangers their opinion about said person's life, appearance, whatever.

My mom's side of the family can get ridiculous about body modifications (even if they're fake). When I was in 9th grade I was at a family gathering wearing an ear cuff (basically a piece of jewelry you can slip onto the cartilage of your ear) and my uncle got on my case so badly about it I ended up in tears. Karma's a bitch though-his daughter now has several tattoos and multiple piercings.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mavra For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2016, 01:11 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,842 Times in 545 Posts

Thread derail, kinda, but too happy to care!

I got a new tattoo! It's been more than 12 years since the last one. I've been wanting another tat for awhile but with all the babies & breastfeeding and whatnot, I've held off. Today I took my husband in to get a piercing and he says "why don't you get that tattoo you've been talking about". Yes! We both have several tats and piercings but this was the first for either of us since we got married nearly 9 years ago. Great bonding experience, great tattoo, great piercing, all around a great day!
Old 10-11-2016, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogmom View Post
Ok...so I am a 40 something year old female with four tattoos. My most recent tattoo is my most visible, but what it represents to me is a huge loss, mile stone and promise of the future. It was designed for me, through tears, by the most amazing tattoo artist I have ever met. All of my tattoos have very personal meaning to me...none of them were put on my body without a lot of thought or emotion. Each one of them has an emotional response from me personally.

Today, while my husband and I were setting up for our first gun show since our little gun shop opened, I was approached by a man in a wheel chair. I asked him if he needed assistance. His response was "I hate to see such a beautiful woman covered in tattoos". He could only see the one on my forearm. Without being rude, I tried to explain the meaning behind my tattoo to him, and he just wouldn't hear it.

Anyone else have an experience like this? I hate it, because I didn't get my first tattoo until way unto my 30's an every one of them has so much meaning to me, I couldn't imagine not having them.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
I hear this all the time. I have quite a few more but I'm a 33 year old pink rock skater chick. No..not all of my tattoos have real meaning behind them but a few do. I think inked women are the hottest. Some people are just close minded.
Old 10-11-2016, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgeBunny View Post
I could care less what anyone else thinks of my ink ... or my piercings ... or my hair color ... Granted, when I still worked I had to act like I cared but not now.

People who think they have some kind of right to pass judgement on your choices before getting to know you aren't worth a second thought ...
Luv it all
Old 10-11-2016, 02:26 AM

Hi ...can u tell me how to post photos
Old 10-11-2016, 05:26 PM
gardener & news junkie

Thanked 4,580 Times in 1,907 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoonDancer View Post
Hi ...can u tell me how to post photos
Check your private messages.