Survivalist Forum - View Single Post - Creating a survival first aid kit, step by step
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2011, 04:55 PM

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kturnerga View Post
This looks to be a very good kit. It isn't filled with junk and I laugh when I see vehicle emergency kits with plenty of Tylenol and Imodium but no large dressings.

I do notice that you have plans for some items related to contingencies (spine injuries, airway management, thoracostomy) that may assume medical aid is delayed at the worst. I have heard that decompression of pleural cavities is just to get you by until arrival to a medical facility.

Frankly I assume delayed rather than nonexistent health care facilities will be the environment facing us in SHTF. I would think that the preferred immobilization tool for cervical trauma is the Sof-Neck disposable collars. Sadly they come in different sizes but are reasonably packable. Oh and what dressings do you have for eviscerations? (10x30?)

One more thing; has the military gone to mandibular displacement instead of the head-tilt chin-lift method for airway management? The 2005 AHA CPR guidelines frown on the jaw thrust and claim that limited spinal manipulation will occur with the head-tilt chin-lift. How the 2010 AHA (CAB not ABC) resuscitation guidelines greet this I don't know. For my money the jaw-thrust is best; it's been around since the 1957 Red Cross text and maybe since Peter Safar started cooking up rescue breathing guidelines.
On the cervical spine collar, I do plan on purchasing one for my home medical setup. However, it was simply too large for anything smaller than a vehicle kit. On eviscerations, step one is to tourniquet the appendage (if it's on an appendage) and either stuff it with combat gauze and add pressure with grafco wrap or move directly into the suturing process. If its not on a limb, do the previous steps minus tourniquet, and try and keep the wound above the heart if possible.

As far as I know, the military uses the jaw thrust to open the airway as it minimizes tension on the neck and spine. Honestly Ive never seen mandibular displacement used before, so I wouldn't know about its effectiveness.