Survivalist Forum banner
56K views 315 replies 137 participants last post by  Steve_In_29 
#1 ·
How many AR-15s, AK47s, FALs... are enough?

The title of the thread is battle rifles. Lets skip the semantics and splitting hairs and group all semi-automatic medium and large rifle calibers together. If it was designed for a military role since the 1940s, how many are enough?

The issue is, how many semi-automatic rifles are enough as compared to hunting rifles?

I would like to have another 308 rifle in bolt action. Then again, I would like to have another AR-15. we come to a point when we have to ask how many are enough?

Personally, I am leaning towards at 4 - 5 AR-15s. That is a nice sized number without being overly burdensome. If someone has been prepping for 10, 15, 20+ years, it would not be out of the question to collect several AR-15 rifles.

Maybe I have answered my own question with 4 - 5 AR rifles, then move onto something else?

However, perhaps someone may want to go with the FAL, PTR-91, AK-47, AK-74... or something besides the AR? Rather than an AR and 223 / 5.56mm, maybe go with a FAL or PTR-91 that is well suited for defense and hunting medium sized game.

Enough of the ranting. Someone post their thoughts on the idea?

See less See more
#35 ·
Was reading an article somewhere (maybe it was here) where snipers were trained to plan backwards...ie.. the mission exit-point first all the way up to the mission-objective/engagement then back down to the mission-entrance. Exit--> Objective/Engagement-->Enterance

Firepower would be determined by the minimal need at each stage.

So with that I would say focus on the distances/voracity you would most likely encounter. Be it that one lone Buck out to 350-yards or a passel of wild hogs running at you full steam.

And you gotta have backup...

#36 ·
Kev, you're coming to the wrong place if you want advice...all your going to get is a bunch on enablers. I had to give a gun safe to my son, so I'm running out of proper storage space...I need a new "overflow" safe:D:

You don't need to ask for justification. If you have the other areas covered, you can afford it, well, the "pursuit of happiness" is the American way. We could all pair down our "needs" to just a handful, but there's no need to do so. You'll get the same answer if asking: Do I need more money? Am I healthy enough? Do I have enough ammo?

ROCK6

#37 ·
Two totally different philosophies:
1. Buy lots of different stuff (FALs, PTRs, M1As, AR-10's, AK-47s/74s, etc.) because you like variety and comparing different rifles/firing systems side by side.
2. Buy at most 2 different models but as many as you have shooters. So something like AR-15s for a lighter medium caliber and then only M1As for longer range or barrier defeating roles. The reason here is obviously to cut down on your logistics, just two types of bullets and a spare part for one (of the two) will fit any of the other ones. So 4 spare bolt carrier groups should be more than enough for 6 complete rifles. Same goes for magazines. Mixing this up makes for problems in a SHTF scenario.

#41 ·
I would say enough AR-15's for everyone in your family. Of course, if some of the family members that are coming over already have them then that reduces the number you "need."

As far as other platforms...I'd say that you would need a minimum of 2 just in case 1 breaks. I know I'm selling my PTR91 with 110 mags because I've never shot it and I don't plan on getting it a companion. M1a's...have 2, AK'47 only 1 at the moment because I traded 1 away. Still in the market for another 1 of those. That's probably what the funds from selling the PTR91 will go.

Also have a Sig 551a1 for sale that should net me enough money to buy a very nice ak plus something else.

#42 ·
If i could afford it, I would have 5 ak's. Instead I have a variety of odds and ends. I often buy what I can get cheap. SKS and a Mosin before they skyrocketed. Used guns... Mostly bolts but was able to get an AK 90 and few others cheap. May not be perfect, but just about everything I own is easily worth twice what I paid. Need to enjoy today while prepping for tomorrow.

#43 ·
If one is looking at getting multiple rifles, say as a hedge against an uncertain future. It might be wise to spread your selection out a bit and not put all your eggs in one basket so to speak. A couple of rifles in each of the big three semi auto rifle calibers, 7.62, 5.56/.223/.308 would be a good start. YMMV

#45 ·
I'm disappointed not a single person has answered correctly.

The correct number is 42.

/s

In all seriousness like the previous posters have mentioned it's too conflated of a topic to nail down to a single number given all the variables. With all situations/needs/wants being different for individuals its hard to say. My 2 cents go towards what logically covers the most bases for me/mine.

Thoughts for this:

How many people do I need/want to arm?
How many spares parts/rifles do I need to do so?
What if someone in my MAG shows up on my doorstep with nothing?
What if I show up on someones doorstep with nothing? (preposition supplies)
Do I have a dedicated training rifle and a "go time" rifle or does one rifle do both?
Having a finite amount of money means every gun purchase is money not put into other preps. Is 10 AR-15's and a months worth a food as good as 2 AR-15's and 6 months food?

#50 ·
For normal peaceful times I figure one battle rifle per capable shooter that live in the household.

For those uncertain times such as SHTF I want all of those that live in the household that are capable of shooting to have a battle rifle. And then I want each person we intend to invite that is capable of shooting to have one too. And a handful of magazines for each gun and ammo to fill the mags.

I figure I have that now.

In a perfect world I would have a lot more ammunition and that is what I'm currently working on.

To me surviving the SHTF is a numbers game. Your group can't be too small but the logistics are more difficult once you add a bunch of people.

#53 ·
.[/quote]

ummm if you are involved in a shooting they are not going to let you go home and get more guns until you are adjudicated either.[/QUOTE]

You are incorrect if you assume this is the case for all, or even most jurisdictions. Maybe if you live in Chicago. If you life in a free, stand your ground case you will be fine if you are involved in a good self defence shoot. You will lose your weapon for s while, again, you need another for when you get home.

#55 ·
ummm if you are involved in a shooting they are not going to let you go home and get more guns until you are adjudicated either.[/QUOTE]

You are incorrect if you assume this is the case for all, or even most jurisdictions. Maybe if you live in Chicago. If you life in a free, stand your ground case you will be fine if you are involved in a good self defense shoot. You will lose your weapon for s while, again, you need another for when you get home.[/QUOTE]

And how long do you suppose it will take the DA to decide if it was justified/SD? and what do you supposed is gonna happen in that period of uncertainty? You think that are gonna say you killed someone so your either a murderer of its SD thats 2 possible outcomes so 50/50. do you think a reasonable prudent person is going to just let you willy nilly go home to the rest of your firearms? or do you think they are going to either keep you in custody or restrict your access to those firearms until they are more certain? There are any number of facts or circumstances to be considered beyond you saying it was self defense.

#63 ·
The fastest way to repair a rifle is to grab a new one out of the safe:D: Honestly, every time I take a class, I bring a spare rifle as well as some repair parts. During one class a guy's AR seized up. His buffer tube retaining ring was loose, back out just enough to have the buffer retainer pin to cause the lock up. All it did was bend up the retainer pin spring which was a quick fix and he was back in operation after a couple minutes. Crap happens and reinforces why you do your firearm PCC/PCIs routinely and to have both a back up rifle nearby if possible and/or a few field repair parts...

ROCK6

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.