Survivalist Forum banner

6.5 Grendel questions

7K views 27 replies 12 participants last post by  0002S 
#1 ·
Two main questions about the Grendel.
1) other than the large supply of 5.56 and large choice of bullets for reloading for 5.56 is there any benefits of the 5.56 over the 6.5 Grendel?

2) how is the Grendel against body armor?

#7 ·
Let's ask some questions here:

1. what is your intended purpose? hunting, long range shooting, defeating body armor?
2. if you have to bug out, which caliber do you think is going to be the most readily available?
3. how many 6.5 Grendel mags do you plan to buy?
4. do you plan to buy an extra bolt or two?

I can think of a few more but you get the gist of it.

I've kicked around (and still kicking) the idea of a .300BO upper. But then again, a 6.5 Grendel or 6mmAR would give me a very potent match rifle for use in XTC or NRA HP Matches. I wouldn't necessarily hunt with it. I have rifles for that purpose.

Reactions: Offrink
#9 ·
Since the 6.5 Creedmoor and Grendel use many of the same projectiles and it seems that a the Creedmoor projectiles are plenty potent at higher speeds. Slightly lower speeds with the same projectile it seems that it should be just fine for hunting within 500 yards. The bolt issue seems to have been resolved but I do have a spare bolt. 25 round Grendel mags are cheaper than 30 round 5.56 mags.

What do I want to use it for? Yes. Personal defense, hunting, target shooting and anything else I can think of. I do think that the 5.56/223 is much more prevalent round but why would I limit my selection to whatever everyone else has. I’m not selling any of my uppers so a 20 second swap and I’m ready to run.

#11 ·
If I had to make a choice of 6.5 Grendel or 6.5 Creedmoor, I hope I don't have to tell anyone what my choice would be.

Reactions: Offrink
#14 ·
against body armor?.. 5.56 is better, velocity defeats body armor, out of a 20" barrel an M193 round can penetrate a level III steel plate.. its also lighter, you carry more, easier to find parts for, bolts have a longer service life, magazines are more reliable and readily available, and higher capacity

there are very few tangible benefits to 6.5 grendel over almost any more readily available option that people can actually take advantage of

if youre considering making it your standard go-to caliber, do yourself a favor and don't

#15 ·
The OP did not say what he wanted to shoot the 6.5 Grendel in, AR or bolt gun. The Grendel case is being used quite a bit for wildcats in bolt guns. But I don't think that was the intent.

Given the cost and availability of the 5.56, I don't see how someone could afford to shoot something else. When you have an AR, you want to SHOOT, a lot!

I plan on chambering a 6MM/223 barrel for mine. Same brass just necked up. I have gads of 6MM bullets, it would be a good way to use them up.

#20 ·
I plan on chambering a 6MM/223 barrel for mine. Same brass just necked up. I have gads of 6MM bullets, it would be a good way to use them up.
DO IT!!! I built a 6x45 way back in the day and love the crap out of it. Its not a power house but it will solve almost any issue the 5.56 has. Its a great deer and hog rifle when you need something light and handy but reliable game getter. Its my favorite AR of the 4 I own. I get the best performance with 80-95 gr bullets.

#23 ·
I have shot benchrest for over twenty years, mostly 6PPC. As a result, I have so many 6MM bullets. Plus, I started making my own bullets a few years ago, so I have quite the supply! I have up to 80 grain bullets, so a 12 twist will do all I need. I'm looking forward to it. Thanks for the feedback!

#18 ·
The 5.56 round weighs about 11.9 grams. The Grendel weighs 14.7 grams. That would be a 0.19 lbs difference in a 30 round magazine. Capacity can be equal/near equal. Not enough really to make a difference. Magazine reliability is no longer a concern. Same as bolts. Parts, well the lowers are the same. Uppers are the same except bolt, magazine and barrel.

#19 ·
The 6.5 Grendel is a fine cartridge if you need some punch and range with an intermediate round cartridge, especially out of a AR-15 platform! Unfortunately I havent had the opportunity to shoot someone with a Body Armor. Unless they are wearing a Threat Level V vest, I am thinking your gonna get the same results as you would with almost any rifle chambering.

If building or buying a Grendel use the Type II bolt!!!

#28 ·
The 6.5 Grendel has the advantage of being able to seat the bullet out farther thus allowing better BC bullets in .264. The squat case allow for enough powder to get the velocity, out of 120-130 gr bullets, that are can keep the bullet supersonic past 1000 yards.

With the right bullet the 6.5 G will penetrate Level 3 plate. I can't speak to Level 4 plate, but I'd bet money that it would penetrate at 0-50 yards, with the same bullet that would penetrate Level 3.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.