Survivalist Forum banner

UK Stockpiling Food for Brexit?

5K views 35 replies 15 participants last post by  PalmettoTree 
#1 ·
https://www.hellenicshippingnews.co...ng-food-supplies-at-ports-in-case-of-no-deal/

***Emergency measures to keep Britain’s food and drink industry afloat include stockpiling food ahead of 29 March 2019, the day the UK is scheduled to leave the European Union, according to pro-Brexit tabloid newspaper The Sun.The ‘vote leave’ tabloid told its readers the government in London had drawn up secret plans to stockpile processed food in the instance the UK failed to reach an agreement with the EU. The squirrelling of food is, according to the newspaper, to show Brussels that ‘no deal is not a bluff.’ However it remains unclear what Brexit means when it comes to the logistics of importing and exporting goods from Europe.

(don't think I've ever used the Hellenic Shipping News as a source before...)

individuals too
https://inews.co.uk/opinion/comment...food-ahead-of-brexit-and-my-friends-have-too/

***To my astonishment, when I mentioned I was stockpiling food on Facebook, instead of the sceptic “pull-the-other-one” response I anticipated, I was far from alone. Most of my friends – who may, of course, include disproportionate numbers of the nervous and the apocalyptic – put their hand up to say yes: they too are taking small, sensible steps to create a cushion should they need it.

One friend, aiming a little higher, volunteered they were stockpiling olive oil and champagne. But for most of us, it means buying basics with a long use by date. Those who have shared a house with me before know I am the most dreadful food abuser. If it’s not walking out the fridge, I tend to regard it as still edible. But for next year my friends and I are staying sensible and stockpiling staples such as dried beans, rice, pasta and even split peas.***

I'm all for stockpiling but don't know how much Brexit will affect things

See less See more
#2 ·
The Sun’s article was meant as reassurance but all it did was illustrate the complete dysfunctionalalty of the Conservatives as a party.
Our current fresh produce distribution network is built around Just in Time along with an inelastic commercial cold storage capacity with pretty much most the government facilities were demolished in the 1980’s it’s going to be a little scarce for a while.
It’s not exactly going to be the Holodomor but I am planning for at least 3 months of fresh vegetable shortages and price disparities.

#6 ·
Over here it's being reported that England is in the midst of a drought and the loss of production is being tied directly to brexit and how there will be shortages of food for humans and fodder for animals.
This is projected to lead to the mass slaughter of livestock.

Did no one learn anything from post WW IIperiod when there wasn't sufficient breeding stock to catch back up to production levels require to ease rationing? And the loss of heritage breeds.

#12 ·
The below average rainfall is having an affect across the agricultural sector but it’s not catastrophic. Even in the areas with lowest rainfall in the summer, forage where 2000 kilos of dry matter /Ha is normal its down to about 1500 kilos.
The loss in production attributed to Brexit is with the fruit growers who have a shortage of hands as Polish agricultural workers are now less inclined to visit the U.K. The Polish economy is looking up and why travel further than Germany, The Netherlands and France where the wages are apparently pretty decent.

#7 ·
Theresa May, UK Prime Minister, was not and is till not in favor of BREXIT. She has been doing things to make it a soft exit and take all the important items out or weaken the points.

A friend who lives in Liverpool is P O'd to say it lightly. She is prepping and has been due to my encouragement and vocal and site sources information support.

They have heard about the "stocking of food". They have "Fake News" in the UK also.

Nigel Forage is a hero in the UK BREXIT support community. He actually said recently, "Can we (the UK) borrow President Trump for a while"?

Things have been happening here also. There are many reports the US government has been stocking: MRE's; Body Bags and Bullets.

I believe most important information is not told to the US public. That isn't a new thought is it? Make up your own mind about what you can do for your family.

#10 ·
We have become excessively wasteful and greedy.

You walk into any big store and there is a huge amount of food marked down due to being short dated, most of it ends up being dumped.

People see the best before date is just up on food at home, straight into the bin they don’t even check it first.

We will have enough food but it might not be what someone wants to eat at that very moment. That’s very much a disaster in the minds of some people but they can just get used to it.

People will adapt, back to using offal, eating a normal sized meal rather than just stuffing themselves and using leftovers rather than just dumping them.

The EU encourages waste, subsidising farmers leading to overproduction. In turn this pushes down the price of food as the market is flooded so in the mind of the public the food is worth less so it’s ok to throw it out.

Brexit will be a success in the long run and no matter what politicians try to do it should continue to go ahead.

#14 ·
The supermarkets themselves are probably more to blame for waste than the EU or shoppers.
If they can’t sell a fresh product the supplier usually gets hit for a rebate and when the supplier holds back on volumes because they believe the supermarket can’t sell the whole order they get hit with a penalty. It’s all in the contract and it’s been going for years.

#23 ·
The general public would not "see it". The "Free Press" in the UK isn't free at all. The UK is a "you can't possibly say that or say this or even look sideways at another person. :eek: I would be locked up in short order in the UK for voicing my personal opinions. :taped:

Say anything anti-Muslim in the UK and you will be throttled (chocked) in short order. The "word Police" are everywhere. :xeye:

Give me the good old US of A everyday.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.