Survivalist Forum banner

Why do you prefer the handgun you do?

37K views 277 replies 143 participants last post by  bullwoods 
#1 ·
When people post a preference be it semi-auto vs. revolver or make vs. make or model vs corresponding models, seldom does anyone make the case as to why. I mostly assume it is because that is the one they own.

People are more clear when they do not like a particular gun. They have had a problem and this gives us all a heads up.

I would like to see post below with objective reasons why you prefer one or more guns.

#182 ·
I was a diehard Colt 1911 dude forever. Two things changed that. One, I was living up north, and I kept having ftf malfunctions in sub zero temps in many different 1911's, including my own. I know a couple ten of you can explain why that was, but my solution at that time was to buy a SW model 19 brand new. That fixed that problem. lol..The other thing about the Model 19 is,, I can not miss with it. DA or single, damn thing is a laser beam.
Second thing was, I impulse bought a Gen 2 G22 police turn in. It was the same thing. Like a laser beam attached to my hand.

Still have a lot of pistols, but those two are my go to's. When a Gen 5 G22 comes out I will get that one also.

#184 ·
There are times when a Blackhawk in 44M/45Colt would fit the bill. I use to hike/hunt where they relocated nuisance bears that were habituated to people (lost their fear of man). It was remote and beautiful. People were few and far between while wolves, cougars and habituated bears were not.

While I often went a field with a GP100, I was just as comfortable carrying a heavy caliber single action revolver. Could I have carried a 9mm...sure, I just don't think it's ideal for an encounter with a large bear that isn't afraid of people and thinks there is a cookie in your pocket.

Reactions: Aceoky
#187 ·
I prefer my S&W M60 Pro Series .357 magnum. Light weight, stainless, 38/357 ammo choices, either ammo easily found, easy to reload, and just dumb reliable. Started out with a Rossi 971 .357 and found it didn't like my powerful reloads, as the cylinder pin backed out while shooting and locked up with live rounds in the cylinder. Had a gunsmith repair it but never felt comfortable after that to stake my life on it in either city or woods environment. With either a S&W or Ruger you can't go wrong, settle on one and practice, practice, practice.

#189 ·
I got to look at one of the Hellcats last week. If they work, I think they are definitely going to give SIG a good run for their money on the 365.

Im always suspect of first-run guns like this though. And the fact its a Springfield, just adds to the trepidations.

Time will tell I suppose. :)

#192 ·
My two carry guns were both designed by John Moses. Simple, the safeties are in the same place as are the slide release. I practice with both and feel comfortable carrying either. The 1911 and the Hi-Power both have long histories of working when called on. And, an all steel gun is quicker to bring back on target than any plastic gun. My S&W 686 would be my choice in carrying a revolver.

#193 ·
I've owned and shot plenty different handguns but the first time I shot a CZ 75 it was love ! I enjoy the weight , I like that it will shoot any brand ammo , sights are average but I can see what i'm aiming at. So henceforth I sold everything except my SP101 and now own 3 CZ's. I get the Glock love but I just never could form any , everything about them are easy but I just never could get onboard. Same with 1911's.

But I will say I held onto my G21SF for a long while and then I just consolidated down to .38/.357 and 9mm ammo to save space.

#195 ·
I've shot dozens of pistols as well as carried a few models at work. There's a lot of really good ones out there with valid reasons for liking them. I prefer Glock for a few reasons.

- proven reliability & decent accuracy
- you can completely disassemble on and replace any part (except sights) with a finish nail.
- many parts are interchangeable between models
- there's lots of Glock parts out there so in the rare event one does break down, it's easy to procure a part and fix.

There's some valid reasons to not like Glock: mushy trigger, grip & so on. Since I'm used to Glock, those things don't bother me, but I can understand why people have those opinions.

There's only a few out there that I REALLY do not like. Some are because they're simply junk (anything Taurus) and others are a matter of personal preference like a $1K+ 1911 that's large, heavy & only carries 8 rounds.

#200 ·
For me it's conditional. I live in a suburb of LA, so for a shtf type scenario, if I had to leave my house, I can conceal a pistol and not draw unwanted attention. Walking around with a rifle in my area will get you noticed/killed rather fast.

However if I lived in a rural area where walking around with a rifle isn't uncommon, I'd 100% go with a rifle without thinking twice.

#201 ·
I carry ALL kinds of guns...... right now (in the afternoon) I have a p238 in a pocket holster..... This morning I had a 5 shot ultralight Taurus 85 in an IWB.

Sometimes I carry a NAA .22 mag revolver in my pocket at home and in my ankle as a backup when Im out.

Yesterday I was carrying a S&W SD9.

I also carry a .45 acp much of the time.

I have a sling bag that has a quick deploy hidden zipper gun sleeve...... So once in a while I will roll out with a big revolver in there.

I change guns with my situation/mood/style..... I do the same with knives.

Variety is the spice of life..... Especially regarding Gear.

#202 ·
The 1911 is the best auto pistol out there. I also shoot smith Wesson model n in .357mag,.41mag that are the best. My smith Wesson model 29’s are getting to much to hold on to ,my 77 yr old hands are getting too weak. I have ruger single actions n .357mag and .45lc-.45acp that are good but I rarely shoot. If it came down to one auto it would be a 1911 acp. I also like the .32hr mag that anybody can shoot.

#218 ·
The 1911 is the best auto pistol out there.
Sorry, but this statement is really difficult to support with facts. If it were true, then the military and every LEO would carry 1911. The fact is that almost no LE agency or credible military carries the 1911 anymore. USMC went back to the 1911 about 10 years ago and that was a short-lived disaster. $1300 for a 8-round capacity heavy gun that demonstrated terrible reliability was silly. Now the entire US military is going to either the sig P320 or G19, both which are more reliable, lighter, and higher capacity than a standard 1911.

I can understand it when people say that their preference is a 1911. There's pros & cons to each platform and it simply depends on how individual folks rank the various criteria in terms of preference. The 1911 has great ergonomics, great trigger, usually accurate, and can have acceptable reliability if an armorer really knows what they're doing. If someone has some basic armorer skills, doesn't mind a large frame/excess weight/high cost, then it's a solid option.

It may be the best semi-auto pistol out there for a specific individual's preference, but there's no way it's the best semi-auto pistol across the board.

#203 ·
I like the Beretta 92fs/M9. I’ve tried others, to include Sigs, Glocks, KelTec, and 1911s. With the exception of the 1911, none of the others really did it for me. When I first picked up a Beretta, it felt right in my hand. Plus it has 15 round capacity(I also have a 30 round magazine for it in my GHB), and is made of metal.

I like the others, but not as much as the Beretta. It’s sexy, utterly reliable (The only issues I’ve ever had with it were magazine induced), I’m confident with it, and parts are easy to come by.

#204 ·
I’m a Beretta 92FS guy, I’ve owned several other pistols including a 1911, Glock and Walther. I learned how to shoot on a Beretta 92, it’s reliability cannot be questioned, ammo is cheap, it’s easy to strip, clean and reassembled. I really believe the 92 series pistol has earned its stripes enough to be considered one of the great pistols with the 1911.

The 1911 I had was/is an amazing pistol but ammo is expensive, magazine capacity is lacking and it’s a bear to clean. The Glock I owned was an unreliable piece of sh&t that I could never get Glock or the dealer to fix correctly. I loved my Walther and will probably own another one again for a range gun. I chose the 92FS for my SHTF pistol because of its most redeeming features, and if all else fails it will make a fine club!

#206 ·
Some people like Glocks some don't, I get that. I see the utility of a Glock and leave it at that. A preference is a preference and how a person arrives at that preference, while sometimes unusual, is their business. What I think is important is that they are a gun owner, we can't have enough gun owners, no matter what their preferences might be.

#213 ·
I own a glock. I don’t have any 1911s but likely will someday. I think they are both amazing designs. 1911 has a great trigger. And it’s pretty. Glocks are extremely reliable and a glock has so few moving parts it’s hard not to appreciate the design.

There are LOTS of crappy , jammu 1911s on the market. While glocks are more reliable as a rule , they have surely sent out some manufacturing errors and they’ve had some design issues that have needed to be addressed and repaired. No machine is perfect.

Although I have a 10mm long slide glock for hunting I can easily see where a 10mm long slide 1911 could be a better choice for that application. More accurate and able to shoot hotter loads and hard cast. Of course you’d be hard pressed to find one for the price I paid for the glock.

At the same time , although I prefer other glock like guns for defense and carry ( XDM,walther and sig p320) I think a glock for defensive carry certainly has advantages over a 1911 that make it a better choice.

As cool as glocks are they ain’t winning many beauty contests over a nice nighthawk custom or Dan Wesson etc.

I can appreciate the benefits and costs of each type of fire arm. I think most gun guys can too.

I just hope if I ever need to shoot somebody I have one of my guns ready and loaded to defend me and my family.

#211 ·
I guess I'm not easily swayed by other peoples preferences. Although if something better comes along I tend go with it. Though I usually tend keep around the previous iteration of what was working for me.

I think we all know that when it comes to internet gun discussions there's enough hot air to fill a balloon and sail around the world in 80 days. I see the utility of a Glock the next guy thinks it's the greatest thing since sliced bread and the guy after him hates them.

Truth be told one has to put forth the effort to determine for themselves what pistol is the best fit for them. Chasing after other peoples preferences gets one nowhere...unless they're lucky and hit it right the first time...LOL

#212 ·
Exactly. What works for Joe Bloe May not work for Billy Bob. The Beretta works for me as a full size gun. But the gun I have on me 9/10 times is my P32.

Glock drones get butt-hurt for no good reason
I have a couple G20s
I like them
But there are not the be-all end-all for me
Neither are 1911s even close for me
The 1911 drones also get butt-hurt real easy
I agree, more guns, more better
No matter what a person likes
I can accept that choice
Variety is the spice of life.

#214 ·
Glocks are my go to but not just because I'm some poor fanboy who has only ever owned a couple Glocks. In fact I've owned well over 100 different handguns. Everything from Inexpensive Keltecs to $2000 Dan Wesson 10mm long slides have found their way into my safe including CZs, 1911s of all shapes and varieties, Beretta, Smith and Wesson's, Glocks, etc. Of all the handguns I've messed around with the only ones to routinely give me issues have been 1911s. I had a Springfield EMP that wouldnt cycle anything and had to go back to the factory. My Ruger SR1911 would jam once every 3 or 4 mags with lighter target ammo. My Dan Wesson Bruin 10mm would routinely not lock the slide back on the last round. My Springfield RO 9mm had the same issue. The only 1911 that never gave me any issues was a Springfield Mil Spec but it was also the least accurate because it was rather loose. Hence why it was also the most reliable.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

#215 ·
I don’t shoot glocks as well as I shoot other similar handguns. I’m not sure why. Maybe the trigger , but I think it’s a combination of trigger and lower profile.

For defense I tend to go for a firearm I shoot better , since if I don’t hit the target everything else is academic. Next on my list is reliability so I’ll take a firearm like my walther or XDM that is almost as reliable as a glock and I shoot better.

#217 ·
I am not going to the tape-measure
But let's just say I have owned a freaking lot of firearms
Some way north of $2k if that is some sort of benchmark
In order of size, what I like and carry off property, depending on weather, clothes, set and setting
I have multiples of each and many not mentioned that I really like

LCPII (Pocket)
LC9S Pro (Two gun shoulder rig)
P320 .45 ACP
Glock G20 SF
FNX .45 ACP (My personal favorite)

Zero FTF/FTE
But I know it is only a matter of time for that to happen
Regardless, it is the salad-days of semi-autos right now
Do not take it for granted
Be Thankful, we are Blessed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.