Survivalist Forum banner

Thoughts on the Ruger SR22?

5K views 25 replies 19 participants last post by  Israel Putnam 
#1 ·
I am still looking to buy a second kit gun. A realatively small pistol or revolver, light enough to carry on hiking/fishing trips, and suited for shots of oportunity at rabbits, squirrels, or other small game.

So today I asked a local shop owner if he could recommend a couple suitable pistols, and he suggested two, a Walther P22 QD, and the Ruger SR22.
Both can be fitted with a suppressor, and I like the feel of the Ruger better.

Does anyone gave experience with either pistol, or any other suitable kit gun available?

My current kit gun is a Ruger SP 101 chambered in 32 HR. I would prefer an even lighter pistol suited in a more common caliber.

#2 ·
I looked the Ruger SP 101 in 22LR almost $800 and 2#.

I would just load cast bullets for the 32 H&R as small game (bunnies/grouse) getter, use jacketed bullets for other stuff.

Under 1# https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/mp-22-compact. I'm not really into plastic pistols.

I like the old S&W 22/32 kit gun, pre model 34. Later M34 was made in stainless M63 for while, that would be my choice but no weight savings.

#3 ·
Ruger is FAR better.
I know of a suppressor company which uses them to test every single one of their .22 cans.

Tens of thousands of rounds.

Have you considered a .22 conversion for one of your major pistols?

I use a Advantage Arms .22 conversion for a Glock like that.
(So I can carry a G23 and G27 and have one .22 or both .40)
With an aluminum slide.... It's amazingly light.

S&W 317 also, mines a snubby, look at the 4"

#15 ·
Same experience here. My niece also got one, and I've taken her shooting with a large hodgepoge of .22 ammo, partial boxes etc, of varying brands, bullet types and vintages to test it out. Hasn't burped once. The one I have has also run 100% afair. Better than some of my older more expensive .22's, or a similar Walther .22 a friend brought out. Ruger seems to have gotten that one right.

I think it would make a dandy kit gun Hick. I wish they had made it 40 years ago. It would have spent time in my pack instead of one of my beloved S&W J .22's for that purpose.

#6 ·
I'd take a Ruger 22/45 Mark IV or S&W Victory over that.. Reality though, albeit a bit heavy, the S&W Victory is the best value, with a better trigger, easy to use fiber optic sights, and far more accurate than the SR22 or P22. If I limited it to the Ruger SR22 and Walther P22, it's a tough decision. I'd likely lean towards the Walther. For plinking, and carrying in your pocket, the P22 or SR22 is the best choice; if you are going to toss it in to a pack, in a box, etc for days you need to shoot a squirrel with it, the Victory hands down. With a suppressor, the 22/45 or Victory are far better in nearly every respects; with the 22/45 being lighter; and the Victory having quite a bit better trigger than any of the others. The only reason to go to the 22/45 is that it's a bit lighter than the Victory !

My choice for light would be the 22/45. My choice for accuracy, best trigger, everything else- the Victory, with no hesitation. Only if I wanted to carry it in my pocket would I lean towards the SR22 or P22 ..
There is ONE advantage to the Ruger products, and that is WARRANTY.
Mechanically, there are very few differences between the SR22 and P22. The P22 I have has polymer sights; one has a dented polymer sight from something. I did experience problems with the magazine disconnects with my SR22; it's a problem with the magazines that happened. Ruger does have a notably better warranty.. In case you are interested, I liked the ergos on the P22 slightly better than the SR22; but differences between the two are minimal overall. As a pocket pistol, it's decent..

So, for me, I'd take the 22/45 if I wanted lite; the Victory otherwise. ONLY if I was putting it in my pocket would I grab either of the other two. When I go to the range, 99% of the time I take 1 of the Victory's and 1 of the 22/45's.. They are far more fun to shoot IMO. Putting a red dot on either is like cheating however.. On a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being better, the Victory is like a 9, the 22/45 is an 8, and the two pocket pistols are like a 2 or 3.

#7 ·
ruger sr22 is a truly excellent plinker: handy, reliable, easily cleaned. if you are ok with 22lr for protection the sr22 is small enough to be a ccw, and i certainly wouldn’t want 10 of its cci stingers headed my way. i’ve enjoyed many 1000s of all brands of ammo in mine. it is absolutely fine fresh out of the box, no modifications needed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#11 ·
ive had my SR22 for 3 years now, absolutely LOVE it! ive never had it jam, i only shoot CCI minimags and Winchester 42grn MAX .22LR, hollow point, the latter is what i carry it with in my vehicle.

they are easy to break down for cleaning. the choice of 2 grip swells is nice. its a very reliable and accurate pistol that i highly recommend.

on the Walther P22, i remember when there was a LOT of them that had the slide chipping and slides cracking, ive never wanted to risk my money on something that was poorly made. i have not heard if they fixed the issue.

#17 ·
Ruger makes great weapons and the SR22 is one but the KelTec PMR30 in .22 mag is a good one too and in a more powerful round. All depends the intended used.
I have two PMR’s.
I like them, I don’t love them.
The magazines even if one follows the instructions on how to load them are still the Achilles Heel of the weapon.

I see the .22lr model is now out, I suspect the same magazine issues with it.

#20 ·
I'm a big fan of the SR22. Both my kids trained on them because they are so small. I own 3 and none of them ever have issues. I also have a 22/45 lite that is more accurate and probably better suited to taking game if that is what you want it for. Truth be told, I have kind of parked them all. I took a leap of faith based on reviews and purchased my first Taurus. I am in no way a fan of Taurus or trust my life to one enough to carry it but they really knocked it out of the park with their TX22 model. My boys use that now for training since it is more full size and operates like most other handguns. It field strips just like most pistols, which the SR22 doesn't. It's not a problem but it is a fact. The TX22 holds 16 rounds instead of 10. It has fired everything but so did the SR22. The SR22 requires a barrel upgrade or can be purchased with threaded barrel. The TX22 comes with a barrel extension threaded. The TX22 can be had right now for $259 which is less than the SR22 and Taurus has a $50 mail in rebate for TX22s purchased in August I believe putting it at $209. I am considering buying another.

#23 ·
I have a R- SR22 and whereas it is a fine piece of equipment and would meet your needs perfectly, I had to retire mine. My EDC is a Ruger SR9C and the safety on it is flip DOWN and the SR22 is flip UP. Very bad for my muscle memory.

I replaced (did not sell it as I NEVER sell a firearm), it with a Browning 1911-22. Awesome, of much better quality but a lot more cash! Flip down safety.

https://www.browning.com/products/firearms/pistols/1911-22.html

#24 ·
You never sell a firearm even though you never use it?
Talk about throwing money away...

You guys with this thought process amaze me.
Do you collect old socks and save all the plastic rings off your milk jugs too?

Why wouldn’t you sell it and have used that money towards the Browning that you actually use?
Are you independently wealthy?
A hoarder?

I’ve just tried to understand this line of thinking for decades and have never gotten a decent answer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.