Survivalist Forum banner

New iPad, Slow Internet

8K views 74 replies 16 participants last post by  Pitbull_Dallas 
#1 ·
Just bought a new iPad because little is working on my old ipad1. Been setting the new one up for a while now. One thing about it is the Internet is a dog. Super slow. My old iPad runs rings around the new one.:mad: What can I do to speed the Internet up?? My router is fine, the desktop rips and so does my old iPad, I stream all the time, no problems.

The new iPad is 128GB, 7th generation, OS 13.1. Can someone enlighten me? Can't live with this slow of an Internet..

#5 ·
My fast one is the one NOT labeled 5G...go figure.:rolleyes:
I know, it's supposed to be the 5G, and I've worked with all sorts of configurations and settings...but nothing doing.

How do I determine what it is? I think mine is one speed, but it would still be nice to check it..
They should be both showing up when you look for a network, and one "should" be labeled or named with a 5G in the name, if your provider did things right.

#4 ·
Not sure. I had complained to my internet provider about the slow speeds, and they replaced the old modem with the new one. So I ended up with one with the 2 different channel speeds. They didn't charge for the swapout, because the old modem was not giving me the speed I was paying for.

i think the old slower speed has a little more range. The fast 5G one loses signal when I step outside. The other one worked in the backyard.

The Roku connects to the 5G also. .

#9 ·
Some ideas from https://www.imobie.com/iphone-tips/speed-up-slow-iphone-ipad.htm:

"You might have opened too many apps and games on your iOS devices. So just double click Home button and slide to shut down the apps/games you are not using to free up memory on your iPhone or iPad."

"Do you remember the last time you organized your Safari history and bookmarks? Actually, we almost never organize our Safari info and clean browsing junks. That’s partly why our iOS 13 goes slow when we surf online by using Safari.

To Organize Bookmarks and History
It’s easy to organize your browser bookmarks and history. Just run your Safari app and click Book icon, you will find all of your history and bookmarks there. You can delete any history or bookmark items, or edit your bookmarks.

To Delete All Browsing Data and History
Go to Settings > Choose Safari > Tap on Clear History and Website Data.

To Delete All Browsing Data of One Specific Website
Go to Settings > Choose Safari > Choose Advanced > Tap on Website Data.

"Background apps activities are often the culprit slowing down your iOS operating system. Luckily, Apple offers its users the features to turn off background refresh and auto-update to make their iPhone/iPad have a good performance.

Speed up iPhone/iPad – Disable Background Apps Refresh
Speed up iPhone/iPad – Disable Background Apps Refresh

How to turn off background apps refresh
Setting > General > Turn off Background App Refresh.

#15 ·
I did turn off the background refresh and it made little to no difference. I’ll work on it some more today, but it is irritating. Like I said, my old ipad1 runs circles around it. I will say though, the battery is awesome. I was on it a good chunk of yesterday, left it on all last night and and it’s still at 80% charge.

#17 ·
Can you test it with another network, either share internet from your phone or use someone else's network (friend or public). If it still is slow, then problem is with the tablet itself. If it is fast elsewhere, then issue could be how the tablet negotiates with your home wifi.

#21 ·
My wife would have 40-50 pages open at the same time in Safari. That slowed her down. Close them all out. Double click the home button and swipe the open apps off frequently, those are the ones active and updating. I've discovered that every Podcast I watch gets stored and I have to manually remove them otherwise I fill up my memory. Same on getting rid of pictures, especially videos. If your memory gets full, it can leave less space for the operating programs to work.
The regularly do the above. When my internet runs slow to the iPad & iPhone, I power it down, power down the router, and the restart both. That way anything active that I did not find gets shut down.
There are many apps that want to have your location ALL THE TIME. Disable the bulk of those to save operating capacity.
Only two things locally slow a computer down. Insufficient storage to work with or too many programs running at the same time.

#25 ·
Well, looks like problem solved. I went over the the neighbors who have a "super" Internet and the setup was a breeze; all done. But, it's looking like I have a modem signal strength issue at home. All my wifi devices work fine, but it seems the new iPad doesn't have the reception capability of the other devices, including my old ipad1. I don't think I can boost the new iPad reception so that means getting a router with a stronger signal strength.

Got any suggestions on a new DSL router that will fit the bill?

Edit: looking at a net gear range extender EX3700 (AC750). That's looking like it might do the job..?

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Wi-F...hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583795260782291&psc=1

#27 ·
I've kept my modem and router as two separate devices. Modem acted as a fuse in case something like a lightning decided to hit my phone line. That's past now, since I got fiber installed about 2 years ago.

My router is several years old ASUS AC68 series. It has both 2.4 and 5Ghz bands and it was one of the most powerful routers cpu wise when it was released. It's still pretty good, it won't support all the latest goodies but then again, my laptops are also old so upgrading to latest and greatest router would not benefit me much.

Do a wipe/reset first. Then update to latest OS version from the settings, the new IOS 13 is a speed upgrade compared to the old IOS 12. Assuming your iPad is new enough to receive latest IOS version.

#28 ·
Pitbull, are your routers Gig or 100M? If they are already gig, just get a newer wireless router with 2.4 and 5G antennas. I just bought one at best buy, a netgear, and it lets you setup the two channels independently. You can connect to either. Plus, you can connect this to your existing dsl router. Hopefully the old one has gig speed.

#31 ·
No I was wrong on the 100mbps. That's what it said in the control panel. I ran a speed test and it's between 1 and 2 Mbps. The new iPad really doesn't work well here in the den. Barely is an over statement. When I was over at the neighbors with their super Internet the new iPad screamed; super fast.

On getting a new router, which I'd really like to do, I'm having real trouble finding one for DSL. Seems everything is cable theses days (which is not available here) so if you know of a good one, please let me know.

#35 ·
You need to contact AT&T and have them replace the DSL Modem / Router with a newer, faster one. It will make a world of difference. Also, make sure it is centrally located in your house, to maximize signal coverage. If you have a big house, you can hire someone like me to do a network scan and signal mapping to find dead zones and weak spots and put in WiFi range extenders. I work in the DFW area, BTW.

#42 ·
Bought off of amazon. Given how my other devices work with the current router, I was wondering if my new iPad has a reception problem. Surely not. When I did the setup using the neighbors internet the iPad was screaming fast. I'm pretty sure it's all about Mbps and signal strength. That being said, with the stronger signal produced by the modern day routers, it wouldn't suprise me if Apple reduced the size of the reception antenna in its products.

With all the discussion here and research I've done I'm convinced the real solution is a new router/modem. The one I currently have is at least 7 years old and by all standards obsolete. They done even make it anymore..

#47 ·
Well, I gave up on the Asus. I couldn't find any in the US for sale. I'm now looking at the netgear D6400/AC1600. The problem is I'm not sure it will work for 2 wire DSL. My DSL comes in over the phone lines. What's throwing me is there's a statement on their page at the bottom that says DSL fiber. I'm not sure that makes a difference, but it might.

I'm also now kind of wondering if the new iPad might be defective. You'd think it would work "some" at distance, no matter how bad the wifi signal..

#58 ·
Too funny. If I walk out in the garage I can connect with the neighbors super Internet and they are a long way away. The new iPad screams. If I come into the house, it loses connection. :( There definetly signal at play here. I'm going to go ahead and order that netgear router/modem and hope for the best. In the mean time I'm gonna get the super Internet company out here to have a look, even though I don't think they can help. Too many trees..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.