Survivalist Forum banner

Prices for stuff we store going up?

6K views 23 replies 19 participants last post by  1x1_Speed_Craig 
#1 ·
We all buy stuff and some of our stuff we store for emergencies is already not cheap. Any thought of what will happen we we do have a market correction? 10 percent or so is nearly 3k points off of the Dow 30. People going to be out in a panic doing stupid stuff buying whatever they can get. I remember in obummer years the freeze packs being cooked during an emergency or something on tv. Don't see that now.

#2 ·
I don't see a buying spree due to a 3000 point drop in the stock market.

Almost all financial panics result in people holding onto their cash.

Only financial crises that would result in people spending money would be the dollar becoming worthless. Everyone would be rushing to convert it into physical assets to trade/preserve their wealth.

#3 ·
Prices always go UP. When I moved out of my family's home and started buying my own supplies beans were .39/lb I've been through many minor and one major SHTF, it didn't stop me from prepping. Of course, some people consider $$$ night vision goggles absolutely necessary to call themselves a prepper and others don't.

#6 ·
Or panicking is limited to selling stocks. My father in law swears I will never recover from investment loss when Obama was president. Except the losses were under Bush ( ie prior to the Obama inauguration), and the market was back to its highs in 5 years, and is double the previous highs now.

Lots of non stock investors cite past history as drivers for why they don’t invest, don’t trust stocks, or believe a decline in stock prices is Wall Street stealing money. But it doesn’t seem to drive non financial behavior.

#7 ·
Pretty much everything's going up.

When a crisis hits (or is known to be about to hit) (snow storms, hurricanes, etc.), that's when "panicked" buying occurs. During/after, prices go up more (supply-demand), even to the point of exhorbotant profiteering (profits vs risk of getting caught/amount fines).

#8 ·
This happened with ammo too but then in calmed back down, it was pure supply & demand.

I think the drought in places like CA with almonds, and diseases hitting specific industries (like the citrus biz in FL being hit by greening disease) cause targeted fluctuations to food items as well. GA with the drought a decade ago that raised peanut butter prices.

International issues whether tariffs, competition, sanctions, etc., also affect things.

I don't think market corrections by themselves in one country will create dramatic changes in a globalized world, the changes in prices with inflation in general though happen in much longer trends and thus go unnoticed with little effect to most ppl.

but supply & demand will still rule - if, for example, ppl rush to buy gasoline in a storm stricken electricity-deprived area, it will cause shortage and spike up.

#18 ·
I buy "loss leaders sales" items. The sale items meant to bring shoppers into the stores. You can save a lot of money doing that.

I missed the yearly NJ Shop Rite Stores Can-Can sales this year. :( I am using "loss leaders sales" to restock the empty spaces. So far so good. ;)

''I have my ways". LOL. :D:

#21 ·
I can't believe I'm going to post this. I'm ashamed. I have become an extreme couponer. I ran across a article on Fox News awhile back about coupon Apps. I downloaded one called Ibotta. Have been getting really good deals lately. Dial soap,.75 off. .97 at Walmart so I paid .22 for 2 bars of soap. Stopped in every day while the coupon was available. Some other things I've gotten. Hamburger helper.75 off, star bucks coffee,.75, 1850 coffee 1.00 off ( really good coffee). Mostly a bunch of coupons for promotional items. It's been worthwhile. I put $78 back into my account from coupon savings last month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#22 ·
If you're reading this website, you should ALREADY have a significant stash of all the usual items is case of an event like this---I'm not talkin' "End of the World" type stuff, just enough for you and yours (don't forget your dogs) to get thru something that may last a few months...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.