Survivalist Forum banner

Brass Knuckles

8K views 32 replies 22 participants last post by  CeltKnight 
#1 ·
The Texas legislature just voted this week to remove legal restrictions on carrying knuckles !

#3 ·
Most of the brass knuckles I've seen in stores are novelty items (intended to be paperweights) that are more likely to damage your hand than your opponent's head. Be careful if you decide to buy one.

States are also legalizing switchblades. Arizona legalized them maybe 5 to 7 years ago.

#4 ·
I don't follow knife laws, but I noticed a year or two ago that a bill to legalize switchblades and assisted opening had gone through. Don't know if it was signed or not.

Really not my thing I'm happy with a good locking knife with a thumb stud. I oil them up and just keep working them till they flip for me.

I view them like bump stocks. Not my thing, but if you want one you should be able to have one.

Knuckles to me really are a novelty, probably because I have never seen a decent set that like stated wouldn't damage your hand more than the person you hit. Coin rolls seem to work great though from what I have seen.

#8 ·
They're neat... There are so many choices for weapons, though, so you have to think about how much you need it and what the niche is.

That said, I'm just remembering that pepper spray people need something to back up their pepper spray. Sometimes, it may make a difference if a brass knuckles is less overt than an ASP.

I've never owned a brass knuckles, and I don't totally understand them. But I don't want to go as far as to say that they'd never be the right thing.

Also just wondering about what this trend has to do with demographics.

To begin with, I'd say that if they're going to change racial / national demographics so drastically on us, then self-defense law should start to give us more freedoms.

I just hope that the point of it isn't to give us a vain hope-- to get people to accept more and more affronts, and more and more demographic change that becomes an impossible problem to solve ("Well, at least they're letting me have my brass knuckles / whatever, thank God") -- or to prevent police and courts from locking up badguys. You know, to actually arm the badguys, and keep them on the streets, as the demographic situation changes for the worse.

#19 ·
...I've never owned a brass knuckles, and I don't totally understand them. But I don't want to go as far as to say that they'd never be the right thing. ...
There's not much to understand regarding brass knuckles. I'll be 69 next month and my punch doesn't carry the pop it used to. Not every situation calls for using a firearm for self-defense, so to enhance my punching power I picked up a nice pair of brass knuckles at a gun show a year or so ago.

They sell them as "paper weights," but these are not novelties. They are self-defense weapons. Brass knuckles actually protect your hand when striking your attacker. You are gripping the brass knuckles so that when you hit something only the brass knuckles are going to make contact with the target and the impact is absorbed by the palm of the hand.

In addition to self-defense, these are great for breaking car window glass to save suffocating babies and pets left in autos in the summer by their idiot parents and owners.

"...That circled portion of the knuckles sits against your palm, thus the impact, instead of the force being imparted on your knuckles, is applied directly to the heel of your palm, a very difficult area to damage. And the second aspect? Just look at them. There is a very distinct gap between each of the knuckles, lowering the surface area of the impact point meaning more pressure. And what about brass? Well it might not be as hard as other metals. But it's harder than bone."

"So this all translates to: brass knuckles inherently increase the amount of pressure per punch and serve as protection. Brass knuckles are also heavy, which increases the force per punch. This all means that brass knuckles will enable you to strike as hard as you want without worrying about breaks while increasing the total pressure and force. So what damage can they wreak? They can break bones with ease, tear open skin, cause internal injuries, kill while negating most risks of personal injuries. ...

CITE: https://www.quora.com/What-damage-can-a-brass-knuckle-punch-produce

#9 ·
I have a old one made from aluminium that came out of a safe that belonged to a retired Co Sheriff, LOL I guess I'm no longer a felon for having it. Texas has been slowly taking things that might be considered weapons from the restricted list and changing the laws to reflect punishment by what is done with them instead, making people responsible for their actions which is the way it should be. Now we can legally walk down the street carrying a sword maybe it won't be to long before we can Constitutionally Carry.

#11 ·
Knuck's are absolutely a serious weapon. You still have to connect in order to have the desired result but can easily inflict a fatal blow with a strike to the head. I believe the legislature got it right in decriminalizing the carry of them. If you use them illegally then you will face the charge of aggravated assault, a first or second degree felony.

The interesting part will be how they view the use of them under self defense. A less lethal option instead of drawing out a handgun or knife. It will take some time and a few cases to determine if you can use them in defense of self.

#13 ·
if you really want to see the effectiveness of brass knucks? first punch yourself in the face as hard as you can with your bare hand, then do it with brass knucks.

what did you find out?

they can be sort of a equalizer. say your a 150lb man attacked by a 250lb man? 1 punch by you to the orbital socket,nose,front teeth or square on the chin can end it all.

if im attacked by a force greater than myself, then all bets are off. I really don't care what I use, you started it.

#15 ·
A machinist where I used to work makes them in his garage machine shop. He takes measurements of your hand so they fit better.
I prefer a good slapjack so I don't have to worry about getting blood on my hands. Hepatitis, AIDS, the creepin' uglies, homosexual gayness, liberal thought, New York mind melt, and who knows what else can be transmitted in blood.

#28 ·
`

Way back in the stone age (1970's) my dad used to walk right onto & off of commercial airliners with a 357 revolver in a shoulder holster. :D: Fast forward to the mid 90's & I got pulled out of line after my carry on went through the X-ray & they saw one of my gun magazines (news magazines that is) sitting on top & could see the outline of the gun on the X-ray. They pulled my bag apart dug through it for 20+ minutes, kept asking me where the gun "went to" & I kept telling them they saw the image from the magazine but these weren't the brightest bulbs in the drawer. Damn near missed my flight. Always have had problems at DFW. The 2 times I've been to Love field has been splendid. I hear the Kennedy's aren't fond of it though.

#29 ·
About the last place you want to anyone with any of them is in the head. Unless of course, you want to increase the chance of killing them. Same goes for a good punch for that matter.

Like anything else, there are places on the body you want to direct your blows for the desired effect. Just flailing away, isnt going to do you much good, beyond luck, good or bad.

A lot of the "brass" knucks you see these days, are actually made of steel and plated or painted. I got a couple of sets for cheap out of China a while back for something like $10/pair. They look to be those made as belt buckles, just minus the "stud" you see on them to hold the belt. Just as functional as the old brass knucks.

I also have a couple of the old "blackjacks" or slappers. Both the flat and round spring type. Again, the head really isnt the target you want to go for with these, they are meant for joints and other tender points on the body to help you get compliance/control.

The flat, "slapper" type are a bit easier to carry and a bit more versatile, as you have different striking options. You get more damage if you use the side/edge of them as opposed to the wide flat.

In the past, we used to fill a piece of 3/4" copper pipe with a cap soldered onto one end with lead and tap a cap on the other. It was just long enough to fit in your palm, and about the size of a roll of quarters or nickels, but weighed a good bit more. At least it didnt break open like the latter when you punched something. Still, if you want to hurt your hand, this is the best way of the bunch to do it.

I think these days, the expandable batons have taken the place of a lot of these type things, and give you better options, especially if youve had some stick training.

Another thing to consider too is one of the well made autos, assisted openers, or butterflies, which can be used closed as a kubaton/yarwa stick of sorts, and still be instantly, to quickly opened if you want something more.

What Im not understanding as far as the legality thing goes is, why would you be caught with any of them on your person, if you just used them on someone and its after the fact and going to be a problem? Why are you even still there?

#32 ·
"What Im not understanding as far as the legality thing goes is, why would you be caught with any of them on your person, if you just used them on someone and its after the fact and going to be a problem? Why are you even still there?"

(Quote)

If you follow your plan, you wouldn't be there. But Tyson once said,
"Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth."

Whose to say, your going to win the fight? Maybe the EMTs take you to the
hospital, then they turn you over to the cops?

The important thing is, be familiar with your state laws, and city laws.
You may be in a state where you are happy that something is legal
but then the city your in has a law against it.

#33 ·
Brass Knuckles work best when used on soft parts of the body. That little bar that goes across the palm tends to direct energy into your metacarpals, and the force goes cross-ways along those little bones, not front-to-back as with a punch (which should only involve the first two knuckles as only the pointer and middle fingers are really supported in a fist). Hit something hard and you can hurt your hand quite a bit.

Still, if you know how to use 'em, any advantage in a fight is a good thing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.