Survivalist Forum - View Single Post - growing a garden in AZ
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2018, 03:11 AM
Unapologetic Deplorable

Quote:
Originally Posted by deprogramming services View Post
I camped out in a back yard in Prescott Valley last fall and the ground was so rocky I couldn't even hammer a stake in. Is that typical of the ground in the area I'm looking at, or is most of the ground tillable?
I've been doing a bit of research on gardening in AZ too and seems a jackhammer might be needed in some areas lol! Not sure if one can post links here but there are some good sites talking of raising subtropical and tropical fruit trees and addressing the alkalinity and salt in soil which can also be a problem in water. I've lived all over the world and haven't found a soil yet I couldn't coax a garden out of.

I suspect that raised beds, as one poster mentioned, might be an easier and quicker way to go. But I read plenty online on some judicious use of a jack hammer in AZ to create 'soil rings' around fruit trees to add nutrients deeper down. If push comes to shove you can always haul in a dump truck load of mixed fill dirt/sand, mix that with organic matter and potting soil and compost up a rich soil for mounds or boxes. I grew root vegetables and potatoes before in a sandy loam not even 10 inches deep where it was hot as Hades, same for corn, zukes, peppers, beans etc and they grew fine. Greens too.

Get some good non gmo seeds rated to your zone and don't let anyone tell you 'you can't grow that'. Don't know how many times I've heard that and have made bumper crop gardens with common sense shading techniques using growth cycles of vegetation that grows faster and can handle full sun to cover the 'wilters' planted underneath. You can always get shade cloth for your delicate greens too. Good luck and have fun in your new home!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Suomi For This Useful Post: