Survivalist Forum - View Single Post - Burning question about tactical flashlights
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2015, 04:09 PM

Default thanks

Thanks for all the comments, guys. I ended up getting the Surefire EB1T and it suits me well. I've carried lights that come on high-power-first, and they don't work for me. Low-power-first is appropriate to the vast majority of my uses, and helps to preserve night vision.

The EB1 with the 2-stage tactical tailcap button comes on at low-power with a soft push, and high-power with a harder push. This gives me the instant high-power I desire, and I don't have to close my eyes or point the lens into my body constantly to get low-power. Twist the tailcap for constant-on low or high. Nice UI.

I still like the Olight UI better, but overall the Surefire is a better package for me. Like the Olight, the Surefire fits and disappears remarkably well in a jeans front pocket... I can draw it one-handed and have it in high-power hammergrip in about a second, leaving my other hand free to draw something else if needed. But unlike the Olight, the Surefire has a vastly better pocket clip, allowing fast one-handed "reholstering" without looking. Without this feature, I find myself willing to draw a light much less often, as I am already thinking about the hassle required to get it back in the pocket.

There's a happy ending to the purchase of the Olight, though. I ordered the WM10 weapon mount for it and mounted it on the magazine tube of an 870 via a Laserlyte Tri-Rail, and found that it makes a quite satisfactory weapon light. I had really wanted to buy a TLR-2 for this gun, but just couldn't justify the cost. The M10's tailcap button ended up exactly where my left thumb normally rests on the forend. In use, the outer thumb joint remains planted on the forend, and it just takes a little wiggle of the thumb tip to activate the light. Momentary or full-on, low beam, high or even strobe, it's remarkably easy and useful. Quick bursts of low for navigating a dark structure, and high beam for blinding an uninvited guest. And as an added bonus, in this position the front sight is illuminated, making sight acquisition ridiculously easy. Don't know how rugged it will prove to be, but so far so good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150211_081252381_HDR.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	96077   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150211_081458443.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	96078  
The Following User Says Thank You to brushy run For This Useful Post: