Survivalist Forum banner

First Fresh Salsa of the Season

953 views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  jchavasu 
#1 ·
It is salsa time!

I still have plenty of canned salsa left over from last year, but it is always a treat when all the ingredients for the first fresh salsa of the year are ripe and ready to go.

The cherry tomatoes have been coming in for a few weeks now, but this was our first large-fruited tomato of the year. Wish I knew the actual name of it, but we call it Doug's Giant Pear in honor of receiving the seed from a local friend last year. They did great in his garden and he shared some fruits with us. After saving seed from the fruits last summer, I am happy to see that the fruits are big and delicious and both plants we have are very vigorous and look like they will be productive.

My favorite fresh salsa ingredients above:
Tomato, tomatillo, onion, garlic, jalapeno, Joe Parker anaheim, and Twilight peppers.

Dice everything and mix with a bit of sea salt, a splash of lime juice and a dash of chili powder.

I keep the diced anaheim and Twilight peppers on the side along with a bit of chopped cilantro so different family members can modify it depending on their preference.

Hope you all are enjoying the summer and salsa season, too.

KB

See less See more
#7 ·
I make a little over 2 gallons of fresh salsa ay a time, all garden harvest season long & can about 6 or 7 quarts at a time.

I keep one FRESH in the fridge to eat & can the remainder.

By late fall, I usually have 40 or 50 quarts canned, to last us - over the winter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.