Survivalist Forum - View Single Post - Respiratory Protection for Airborne Exposures to Biohazards
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2020, 11:45 PM
Wile E Coyote, Genius.

Thanked 82,142 Times in 23,830 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by augoldminer View Post
I use a ozone generator on my Cpap mask and hoses and the elastic has not been hurt over 6 months of use.

Most bandanas may be just as good as a N95 mask and seal better if you tie a knot for below the chin.
I doubt your CPAP mask and hose are made of Polypropylene.
Most plastics are quite hardy with respect to UV and ozone, but Polyproylene fails much faster. Add to that the fact that the fibers in a mask are quite small diameter, and more susceptable to surface attack.

Lastly, your mask and hose are likely treated with some chemical soup of plasticizer, UV stabilizer, free radical traps, etc.

i would have to look up the reason why PP is so susceptible to attack, but it is.

I had a cheap bucket made of the stuff on my boat, under the seat in mostly shade.

At the end of the season I decided to take it off the boat. I grabbed for ir and all I got was a handful of crumbs smaller than grains of sand.

It was amazing. It still was standing there, looking like a bucket, yet it was not strong enough to lift its own weight. Several more attempts to very gently pick it up so I could throw it away without making a mess failed. Each time it would disintegrate further until it was just a pile of crumbs for me to sweep up.

Now I am sure that bucket would still function like a bucket for a month or two. But at some point it became a bucket shaped mirage.

I have had lots of polypropylene fails over the years. Lawn chair webbing, rope, sail ties, Probably cheap bungee cords, etc.

Hard to say when it will fail exactly. But it will look just fine and dandy one day, and then completely fall apart.

Here is an article I found on a quick search.

https://www.servicethread.com/blog/t...ster-explained

I tend to equate UV exposure with ozone exposure, which may or may not be valid. I think it sort of is, but haven't dived that deep into it.

https://www.craftechind.com/top-8-ozone-safe-plastics/

Looking up what type of plastic is used in CPAP hoses, all I found was it is either PP or PE.

"Composition: Standard PAP hoses are typically made from materials like polypropylene or polyethylene"