Survivalist Forum banner

Made my first investment

2K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  txprep 
#1 ·
I finally after all these years made my first silver purchase. I'm hoping to make bi weekly investments like this.

#3 ·
Good for you, I hope you don't expect to make any money off it.

Not saying it is a bad idea for a SHTF scenario but that is about all it is good for in my opinion.

That said, I lost all of my silver in the fire so don't let anyone tell you it will still be there even after a fire. All I have left is the 1oz round that I carry in my pocket.

#4 ·
Just inherited a large coin collection.

Part of the estate includes a bunch of sterling silver flatware. It's not my pattern, so my interest is dividing it up between siblings or selling and sending them each a check.

How do you value flatware? Is there a market?

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

#13 ·
"Most high-temperature solder preforms made with silver use alloys containing about 45 to 90 percent silver and the remainder composed of copper, zinc, tin and cadmium."

You can use higher % silver, its just some what wasteful by not using cheaper fillers. Depending on the application some/all the other components might very well enhance the alloy for the specific task.

#18 ·
So typical
electronics (industrial, not ham radio) is 3% silver, a bit of copper, and the remainder tin. Something gets weird when tin is mixed with above 3% silver. I can’t believe there is really any solders as you describe- where did the quote come from? It sounds like a bad translation where high temperature solder should have been brazing in English.

Brazing alloys go higher than 50%, but it’s uncommon. High silver ( with no copper) alloys get used for ammonia piping, or high temp nickel/stainless applications. I’ve heard of 85% silver, and have some 54 or 56% rods ( because I don’t TIG weld) But 5 or 15% phos-sil is the most common alloy because of its use in HVACR with CFC and CFC replacement refergrents. ~50% silver is also used for soldering carbide and in some jet engine assemblies and high temp piping.

There is no such thing a pure silver solder- silver melts at too high a temperature to be s solder by itself. Even my 56% silver requires acetylene at a minimum ( or oxy propane). Pure silver melts at about 1900 deg. Also, when brazing with high (>>50%) silver alloys, it’s usually done in a furnace with an inert Atmosphere (Hydrogen works also)

#14 ·
Definitely look at it as insurance and not so much an investment, and don't let your emotions get you caught up in it being a large part of your investments. The stock market is still the best investment. Silver is just a hedge for hard times for barter, something I don't ever expect to happen, but have as insurance nonetheless. And someday when I'm gone my kids will inherit it.

BTW, my local coin shop reopened last week and to say I'm happy is an understatement. Current junk silver prices on ebay and websites isaround 15-17x spot and $25 for cull Morgans. My local guy sells at 12x spot, cull Morgans $18, and AU Morgans for $25! Happy, I am! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.