Survivalist Forum

Survivalist Forum (https://www.survivalistboards.com/index.php)
-   Manmade and Natural Disasters (https://www.survivalistboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   21 Killed n Mount Everest (https://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=918838)

eyepal 05-28-2019 04:12 PM

21 Killed n Mount Everest
 
News seen on msn, CNN, Washington Post and more. At last count, 21 have died.

STEEPOE 05-28-2019 04:33 PM

Climbers complaining about the overcrowding from what I've read. Can't say that's ever been on my bucket list but to each their own. I'd not consider it a triumph losing several fingers and toes and putting others in danger just to say "I did it."

charliemeyer007 05-28-2019 04:48 PM

That's just lately. More than 300 have died there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._Mount_Everest

Creek Walker 05-28-2019 04:48 PM

People in line waiting to reach summit. :xeye:

https://media4.s-nbcnews.com/i/newsc...5313327052.jpg

greif 05-28-2019 05:30 PM

Is there someone up there with a stopwatch, 10 seconds... next... do they just push them off the other side since there is no room to come back down

Chuckleberry 05-28-2019 05:34 PM

`

With a waiting line longer than the checkout lines during Christmas, is it really that exclusive of a feat anymore?

.

hawk55732 05-28-2019 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuckleberry (Post 19550674)
`

With a waiting line longer than the checkout lines during Christmas, is it really that exclusive of a feat anymore?

.

Less then 5k have reached the top. Thats still a pretty exclusive feat.

starbright 05-28-2019 07:29 PM

I imagine that many of the folks who climb it have had it as their ambition for many years and have been training for it for many years. It's not the kind of thing you can do on a whim. I imagine it's hard for those who've been planning and waiting for years to suddenly call off their trip.

leadcounsel 05-28-2019 07:32 PM

At one time, it was an impressive feat. Now, it seems so much more narcissistic than anything.

Cost to summit Everest exceeds $50,000. FIFTY THOUSAND DOLLARS! I've even read books (K2 and Into Thin Air) that explains the real costs are 6 figure dollar amounts. And odds are good you're going to lose body parts to frostbite, and odds of death are relatively high as well...

One could literally change a person's life with that money. Show up at a poor families house and pay off their home, or buy them groceries for 10 years, etc.

If you can't find something more altruistic do throw your money at, I give zero ***** about your fate on Everest.

About the only worst rich people are big game hunters who are the scum of the earth.

9111315 05-28-2019 07:46 PM

Where do you think that 5 to 6 figures is going.

The money that the sherpas make will change 100's of 1,000's of lives. Even the higher tech job of filling O2 bottles is helping people earn a living. Even back home, hiring trainers. Buying equipment. Boarding your cat for 3 months while you are off on you climb. The money goes to many working people. Why would you take that away from them?

Given the option of showing up on someone's doorstep and just handing them life changing cash may not be a good thing. To many, it would be like winning the lottery.

The recipients would need to put forth some effort. Paying for someone's college would be worthwhile. They have to work for those grades.

In the end, the money is not wasted.

hawk55732 05-28-2019 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 9111315 (Post 19550880)
Where do you think that 5 to 6 figures is going.

The money that the sherpas make will change 100's of 1,000's of lives. Even the higher tech job of filling O2 bottles is helping people earn a living. Even back home, hiring trainers. Buying equipment. Boarding your cat for 3 months while you are off on you climb. The money goes to many working people. Why would you take that away from them?

Given the option of showing up on someone's doorstep and just handing them life changing cash may not be a good thing. To many, it would be like winning the lottery.

The recipients would need to put forth some effort. Paying for someone's college would be worthwhile. They have to work for those grades.

In the end, the money is not wasted.


And in the end its their money to spend on how they want to. They earned it(or were smart enough to have other people raise the money for them) they can spend it how they like.

leadcounsel 05-28-2019 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 9111315 (Post 19550880)
Where do you think that 5 to 6 figures is going.

The money that the sherpas make will change 100's of 1,000's of lives. Even the higher tech job of filling O2 bottles is helping people earn a living. Even back home, hiring trainers. Buying equipment. Boarding your cat for 3 months while you are off on you climb. The money goes to many working people. Why would you take that away from them?

Given the option of showing up on someone's doorstep and just handing them life changing cash may not be a good thing. To many, it would be like winning the lottery.

The recipients would need to put forth some effort. Paying for someone's college would be worthwhile. They have to work for those grades.

In the end, the money is not wasted.

Well, about 1/4 of it goes to the purchase of the ticket which is a Royalty for Nepal, with some going to sherpas. The balance is for training and gear. Those sherpas are doing extremely pointless dangerous work. Lots of them die getting rich foreigners to the top and back.

100% of it is for the individual with a self-absorbed totally narcissistic view of the world.

Just because one incidentally employs others in his quest for self-gloat, does not justify the expenses. Same with flying private jets, shooting endangered animals, and so forth. The incidental folks employed doesn't offset the stupid selfishness of it. And it's well known the Sherpas are critical to the climb, yet extremely exploited in the equation. They take massive risks for very little money.

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/46890443.cms

"The Nepal government earns around $3.25 million as royalty fees from climbers every season. It charges $11,000 per person for climbing the 8,000-meter peak. Nepalís economy is largely built on Everest expeditions. However, very little actually goes to the sherpas."

hawk55732 05-28-2019 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leadcounsel (Post 19550906)
Well, about 1/4 of it goes to the purchase of the ticket which is a Royalty for Nepal, with some going to sherpas. The balance is for training and gear. Those sherpas are doing extremely pointless dangerous work. Lots of them die getting rich foreigners to the top and back.

100% of it is for the individual with a self-absorbed totally narcissistic view of the world.

Just because one incidentally employs others in his quest for self-gloat, does not justify the expenses. Same with flying private jets, shooting endangered animals, and so forth. The incidental folks employed doesn't offset the stupid selfishness of it. And it's well known the Sherpas are critical to the climb, yet extremely exploited in the equation. They take massive risks for very little money.

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/46890443.cms

"The Nepal government earns around $3.25 million as royalty fees from climbers every season. It charges $11,000 per person for climbing the 8,000-meter peak. Nepalís economy is largely built on Everest expeditions. However, very little actually goes to the sherpas."

Tell that to the Sherpas who are making money. Most of them can work for about 3 months and make more then others there make in a year.

InOmaha 05-28-2019 08:16 PM

It sounds like more and more are going up there in good condition but not Everest condition. The American that died was 62. That might be a little old for the journey. He fell (maybe because he wasn't up for it), but the article said someone died tied off to the safety line and that line of people getting up and down in the photo above step over him on the way up and down.

leadcounsel 05-28-2019 08:20 PM

Maybe rich people should stop putting Sherpa's lives at risk and instead just donate money to them altruistically. Stop destroying the mountain with litter. Nobody dies. Money is injected into the Nepal economy. Win-win for everyone.

In brief research, I've seen numbers from 4000 to 6500 assents. I've seen numbers from 265 to 300 deaths. Over 80 Sherpa deaths.

So for any climber, that's roughly 1 in 15 chance of dying. And far larger number of serious injuries like frostbite. And of the deaths, about 20% have been Sherpas....

Yesterday, 11 tons of trash were removed thru various agency efforts to clean up the "Highest garbage dump in the world" aka Mt. Everest.

https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/nepa...verest-2043767

"Hundreds of foreign mountaineers spend thousands of dollars to conquer the peak every spring season, which normally begins in early April and lasts until May. As they go on the dangerous climb, they leave behind a trail of litter.

Various stakeholders, including the Tourism Ministry, the Nepali Army, the Nepal Mountaineering Association, the Nepal Tourism Board, the Sagarmatha National Park, the SPCC and the local government have joined hands for this clean-up campaign.

In recent times, Everest has often earned the moniker of the world's highest garbage dump.

Several tonnes of old equipment, oxygen cylinders, rubbish and human waste litter the famous mountain."

https://i2.wp.com/metro.co.uk/wp-con...size=644%2C428

https://news-images.vice.com/images/...;center,center

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015...7845808704.jpg

beaner 05-28-2019 08:23 PM

Everest kills almost as many as Chicago democrats on a typical weekend

hawk55732 05-28-2019 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leadcounsel (Post 19550940)
Maybe rich people should stop putting Sherpa's lives at risk and instead just donate money to them altruistically. Stop destroying the mountain with litter. Nobody dies. Money is injected into the Nepal economy. Win-win for everyone.

In brief research, I've seen numbers from 4000 to 6500 assents. I've seen numbers from 265 to 300 deaths. Over 80 Sherpa deaths.

So for any climber, that's roughly 1 in 15 chance of dying. And far larger number of serious injuries like frostbite. And of the deaths, about 20% have been Sherpas....

Yesterday, 11 tons of trash were removed thru various agency efforts to clean up the "Highest garbage dump in the world" aka Mt. Everest.

https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/nepa...verest-2043767

"Hundreds of foreign mountaineers spend thousands of dollars to conquer the peak every spring season, which normally begins in early April and lasts until May. As they go on the dangerous climb, they leave behind a trail of litter.

Various stakeholders, including the Tourism Ministry, the Nepali Army, the Nepal Mountaineering Association, the Nepal Tourism Board, the Sagarmatha National Park, the SPCC and the local government have joined hands for this clean-up campaign.

In recent times, Everest has often earned the moniker of the world's highest garbage dump.

Several tonnes of old equipment, oxygen cylinders, rubbish and human waste litter the famous mountain."

https://i2.wp.com/metro.co.uk/wp-con...size=644%2C428

https://news-images.vice.com/images/...;center,center

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015...7845808704.jpg

I agree with the litering part. However, who are you to say what people should or shouldnt do with their money? Who are you to say what people should do to earn that money?

leadcounsel 05-28-2019 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hawk55732 (Post 19550948)
I agree with the litering part. However, who are you to say what people should or shouldnt do with their money? Who are you to say what people should do to earn that money?

I can't have an opinion? :eek: And who says I can't have an opinion? :xeye:

The bottom line is once again, rich people exploiting poor people and the environment.

They go up the mountain and trash it. They hire and pay poverty wages to put Sherpas in unreasonably high risk of injury or death. Looking at the stats, there's about a 1 in 15 chance of death and among deaths about 1 in 5 is a Sherpa... that's an extremely dangerous job for which Sherpas make something like 10% of the overall cost layout... ($5000 of $50,000 total cost, for instance), yet the Sherpas are the KEY to success.

9111315 05-28-2019 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leadcounsel (Post 19550906)
snip

"The Nepal government earns around $3.25 million as royalty fees from climbers every season. It charges $11,000 per person for climbing the 8,000-meter peak. Nepalís economy is largely built on Everest expeditions. However, very little actually goes to the sherpas."

That is $3.25 million of funding for the Government. That is tax burden that is removed from the backs of Nepal's citizens.

Nepal's economy would fail if, as you stated, its economy is largely build on Everest expeditions.

Lava 05-28-2019 09:25 PM

A number of the guiding companies are actually owned and run by sherpas.

The death rate has dropped over the last 10-15 years due to better organization from the guiding companies.

The congestion issue arises because of the limited days that you can actually summit. Will they cap numbers , unlikely to be a straight cap, but there is discussion around people wanting to climb to have previous high altitude climbing experience before being allowed to climb the big peaks.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:22 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © Kevin Felts 2006 - 2015,