Survivalist Forum

Survivalist Forum (https://www.survivalistboards.com/index.php)
-   Food and water (https://www.survivalistboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   MRE's Whats a good safe place to buy these? (https://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=926546)

Fizbin 09-08-2019 03:22 PM

MRE's Whats a good safe place to buy these?

I'm looking to replace my old MRE's.
I mean old, they were handed down to me by an uncle,,, maybe 2 decades ago and I had no idea how long he had them,,, bluthck! I did salvage the heat packs, they were still good.

I don't need dehydrate stuff like Mt House or PatriotSupply sell but true MRE's that take no re-hydration. I have a bunch of those.

I'm fearful that I could by stuff that tastes like crap or worse, old and outdated stuff that tastes like crap.

A bing search gave me a handful of companies but a few testimonials here would make me feel better.

Justme11 09-08-2019 03:47 PM

My advice would be just to buy stuff at the grocery store.
They have retort pouches, canned goods instant coffee packets with creamer and sugar at the chinese grocery.

A MRE has like half a can's worth of ravioli or whatever. Most of an MRE is sugar and wheat bread which is nothing like bread.

That being said, they were always available on Amazon and gun shows.

Chuckleberry 09-08-2019 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fizbin (Post 19763088)
I'm looking to replace my old MRE's.
I mean old, they were handed down to me by an uncle,,, maybe 2 decades ago and I had no idea how long he had them,,, bluthck! I did salvage the heat packs, they were still good.

I don't need dehydrate stuff like Mt House or PatriotSupply sell but true MRE's that take no re-hydration. I have a bunch of those.

I'm fearful that I could by stuff that tastes like crap or worse, old and outdated stuff that tastes like crap.

A bing search gave me a handful of companies but a few testimonials here would make me feel better.

`

I'm not 100% sure on the newer MRE's but I know the ones I had when I was in had lots of items that were dehydrated/freeze dried, like the fruits & some of the meat patties. I'd say if you were taking them apart, those components of the pkg could very likely still be G2G. I've bought newer MRE's it's been a year or two since I've had one & don't think they had as much dehydrated/FD stuff, if any. MRE's especially the "mil-spec" ones are expensive, a bit heavy for what they provide & generally don't have as long of a shelf life for many of the components. I try to keep a couple cases on hand to have a few ready to add to a go bag in a pinch. After they've been on the shelf for 5-6 years we will eat some of the older ones, even let the kids when they were younger take them to show & tell, which is now called "show & share". Then I order a new case to replace the old one. I think if you do a search, you should find SEVERAL threads about where to buy MRE's already with lots of info. :thumb:

Justme11 09-08-2019 04:11 PM

All the authentic MREs I bought were already near the expiration/inspection date.

I had them in 74 degree house and 5 yrs later they were mostly kaput. Overpriced, and don't last as long as a can of corned beef hash and a can of peaches. :)

And the deserts, anything with peanuts like M&Ms were so rank you wanted to puke just getting a whiff of them.

And of course several meals were things you didn't want when new.

I would much rather have $90 worth of canned goods and snacks than a crate of MREs, which is about what they cost..

Fizbin 09-08-2019 04:29 PM

These are for GHB's. So they should be perfect for my needs.

Berry, I did a search on here for MRE and did not see any posts specific to MRE's. A bunch were long term food storage. But, with that said my search skills are pretty poor. :)

Someone PM'd me about Western Frontier Brand. So I'm going to look that up, but if anyone knows about those, that would be cool.

Chuckleberry 09-08-2019 04:50 PM

`

I had some MRE's that had a re-inspection date of '88, which iirc is about when they would have been considered expired, but then they are extended if they pass the re-inspection, whatever that entails. I opened them in the mid 90's & almost all the components were fine, other than most tasting quite stale. Some of the bags were clearly bad as they were bulging and/or leaking, but I've opened new MRE's & lots of guys in my unit did too that had the same problem. Like I said, they are expensive, heavy/bulky for what they offer & not a super long shelf life like most FD, dehydrated or canned goods do. But if stored relatively well, they can still last several years. I store mine in my basement where it usually doesn't get above 70F. I also have suspected for a while that either new MRE's aren't as shelf stable as the old ones or the ones offered for civilian sale aren't as shelf stable as the "mil-spec" MRE's. Even still though, they are handy to toss in a BOB, GHB, INCH, Go bag or whatever you want to call it. They are also good if you toss a few in a cars winter survival kit, just make sure you take them out in the spring, cause a summers worth of sitting inside a hot car won't help their shelf life. :thumb:

Fizbin 09-08-2019 05:04 PM

Yeah, I expect in the Car, in Texas, in the summer they will degrade quicker than normal. But, their intention is to get me home if I have to ruck up and walk home. I/we live about 50 miles from work so a get home walking, with out obstacles, so to speak, would be about 2 to 3 days.

There would never be more than 3 people in a vehicle, more commonly 1. I plan on having 6 in each vehicle or GHB. I know this won't be a lot but then again, 2 or 3 days with not a lot of eating (rationed meals) isn't that bad. My bigger focus is on carrying some water and a means to purify it.

With dehydrated, I know it shelfs for longer and is much lighter but if I have to ruck home, I am NOT going to want to start a fire and break out even mini cookware and cook up a fun camp fire. Opsec issues too with fire.

Justme11 09-08-2019 05:08 PM

My solution to what you are describing is a couple blocks of Datrex lifeboat survival rations.
They actually taste great when you are hungry. Bring a zip lock baggie and a paper plate.

https://www.amazon.com/Datrex-3600-E...dDbGljaz10cnVl

Chuckleberry 09-08-2019 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justme11 (Post 19763256)
My solution to what you are describing is a couple blocks of Datrex lifeboat survival rations.
They actually taste great when you are hungry.

`

I have a good supply of those. I've tried them even when they are new & while they are edible, they aren't great & you better have a lot of water to wash them down with. I was hoping they'd be like the oatmeal bars that used to come in MRE's when I was in, those were actually quite good. The datrex were more like very dry stale low budget granola bars. They do have a pretty good shelf life though.

Fizbin 09-08-2019 05:18 PM

Quote:

They actually taste great when you are hungry. Bring a zip lock baggie and a paper plate.

I looked up Datrex, those look like Matrix food,,, but,,, they sure look lighter and a ton more practical than MRE's in a GHB. I guess one flavor fits all as well. I'm going to probably order some of these. You can walk and eat at the same time with these!

Justme11 09-08-2019 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuckleberry (Post 19763264)
`

I have a good supply of those. I've tried them even when they are new & while they are edible, they aren't great & you better have a lot of water to wash them down with. I was hoping they'd be like the oatmeal bars that used to come in MRE's when I was in, those were actually quite good. The datrex were more like very dry stale low budget granola bars. They do have a pretty good shelf life though.

I would eat a block of these (3600 cal) when I was out sailing and ran out of whatever food I brought and wanted to stay out longer.
They reminded me of graham crackers saturated in a little lard or something.

I was hungry and thought they were quite good and they let me keep sailing another 6 hours. they are not really thirst provoking, but I had lots of water and was always drinking something when sailing. lots of sun and wind. :)

And they last a long time shelf life-wise compared to any other ready to eat option.

pikepole20 09-08-2019 09:00 PM

I got some bars off of Amazon called soldier fuel. They are good with a 5 year shelf life I believe. I have bought MRE off of Amazon and EBay. I just look for inspection date in the ad and check the feedback that has been posted. The further out the inspection date, the more they cost. I keep two cases and the rest of my food is freeze dried, canned, or in sealed buckets.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

charliemeyer007 09-08-2019 09:24 PM

MRE's not for me - too expensive for what you get. I like the Datrex bars - cheap enough if you shop online - store great - easy to ration - not real exciting, but will keep you alive. Better with a jar of honey and peanut butter; which can also serve as bait.

+1 try before you buy lots.

I can hack Mustard packed sardines and keep several tins in the hunting pack. In the old days they gave exposure victims oil pack sardines - they needed the oil.

Palma 09-08-2019 11:13 PM

If you know someone in the military, they can be purchased in the Commissary. That way you get fresher product. Gun shows, surplus stores, etc are probably old. You can use your drinking water to rehydrate on the go without cooking, some of the FD stuff you can eat dry.
Walmart carries these, not bad for the price. Similar to Datrex, I keep a couple in the truck.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ultimate-...-Bar/122858544

SCPigpen 09-08-2019 11:17 PM

here: https://www.surepak-12.com/buy-now/

IamZeke 09-08-2019 11:25 PM

Military base commissaries sell them.

Here's one of the few legit sources online: https://www.mredepot.com/MRE-Menu-C-p/mc1213.htm

Prepper_Ed 09-09-2019 01:40 PM

Quote:

I wonder how they get a five year shelf life over what would seem to be a similar product to granola bars which have a relatively short shelf life (usually < 1 yr). I have eaten granola bars 6 months after the the "expiration" date and they were fine other than a very slight sogginess.

I'm planning on bugging-in but keep a bug-out bag just in case. Like you, I need food for my bug-out bag that is light, high caloric and doesn't take up too much space.

Fizbin 09-10-2019 09:02 AM

A lot of good info here, thanks everyone. I know there are other threads on GHB but I have rebuilt my GHB this week. They were more of BOB's with tons of stuff I would not use or not want to use on a 2-3day walk home from work. The biggest space/weight hogs were the MountainHouse and mini PocketRocket type stoves.

Where I'm at know, if I have to Bug Out then things are hugely bad and there literally would be no hope. But as a prepper, I will make separate BOB's with the things I took out of the GHB.

The GHB is focused on 3 days of supplies:
- Water
- Water purification
- MRE/Datrex
- First Aid/ CAT/ EpiPen
- Spare Ammo
- Compass
- Map/s
- Cash
- Some Silver pre-65
- Small change of clothes
- Bear Butt tent
- Rain Poncho
- Mole Skin
- Tac Knife
- Bic and Fire Stike

Justme11 09-10-2019 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prepper_Ed (Post 19764724)
I wonder how they get a five year shelf life over what would seem to be a similar product to granola bars which have a relatively short shelf life (usually < 1 yr). I have eaten granola bars 6 months after the the "expiration" date and they were fine other than a very slight sogginess.

I'm planning on bugging-in but keep a bug-out bag just in case. Like you, I need food for my bug-out bag that is light, high caloric and doesn't take up too much space.

I suspect the long shelf life is from using only fully saturated fat (lard) and having an air impervious wrapping.

neiowa 09-10-2019 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuckleberry (Post 19763234)
`

I had some MRE's that had a re-inspection date of '88, which iirc is about when they would have been considered expired, but then they are extended if they pass the re-inspection, whatever that entails. I opened them in the mid 90's & almost all the components were fine, other than most tasting quite stale. Some of the bags were clearly bad as they were bulging and/or leaking, but I've opened new MRE's & lots of guys in my unit did too that had the same problem. Like I said, they are expensive, heavy/bulky for what they offer & not a super long shelf life like most FD, dehydrated or canned goods do. But if stored relatively well, they can still last several years. I store mine in my basement where it usually doesn't get above 70F. I also have suspected for a while that either new MRE's aren't as shelf stable as the old ones or the ones offered for civilian sale aren't as shelf stable as the "mil-spec" MRE's. Even still though, they are handy to toss in a BOB, GHB, INCH, Go bag or whatever you want to call it. They are also good if you toss a few in a cars winter survival kit, just make sure you take them out in the spring, cause a summers worth of sitting inside a hot car won't help their shelf life. :thumb:

MRE inspection - https://www.dla.mil/TroopSupport/Sub...pubs/appa.aspx