Survivalist Forum

Survivalist Forum (https://www.survivalistboards.com/index.php)
-   Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense (https://www.survivalistboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   What are the deepest lessons you've learned from Martial Arts? (https://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=400888)

Bruce001 07-21-2015 10:20 PM

What are the deepest lessons you've learned from Martial Arts?

I dropped out of Karate for a time, largely for financial and familial reasons, and have now restarted. My absence from the dojo taught me a few things.

One, for reasons I can't explain, training for violent encounters gives me an unexplainable sense of peace. I lose the desire to fight the more I train for it. This has proven to be true not only for Karate, but also for the tactical pistol training I'm undertaking. It's almost as if the path to serenity lies through training for war.

Two, it's the journey not the destination. One of my previous frustrations was that I didn't feel like I was learning practical material as quickly as I wanted to. Learning martial arts requires you to rethink your time frame.

Three, some things are best experienced. I used to be upset that I didn't know the meaning of all the moves in any given kata. What I came to experience is the fact that, sooner or later, you provide the meaning to the moves. In that way, you know them at a deeper level than if someone showed you one possible explanation. When you've performed a kata a few hundred times, you begin to see applications well beyond what you were originally thought possible.

So what are some of the deeper lessons you've learned from the martial arts?

Baddogg5 07-21-2015 10:59 PM

to be at one with the Blade

Jungleboy 07-21-2015 11:58 PM

Lessons?
Don't get in fights.

BJJ_Grappler 07-22-2015 02:01 AM

I learned that traditional martial arts are mostly garbage.

I also learned my pain threshold.

Jerry D Young 07-22-2015 11:06 AM

5. That traditional martial arts are mental, psychological, and physical exercises to achieve a mental, psychological, or physical goal.

4. That traditional unarmed and classic armed martial arts have no realistic street value for self defense.

3. That any martial art that has any rules of conduct has no place being expected to be effective for self defense in a real world environment against experienced violent street criminals.

2. Do not bring a knife to a gun fight.

1. That only extreme violence, used without warning, with the goal of disabling an aggressor to the point of inability to function will have any chance of stopping a violent aggressor with any street experience to speak of, while minimizing the risk of injury to the defender.

Just my opinion.

ttkciar 07-22-2015 12:52 PM

Our power is limited by whichever capability we have least.

Noticed this first in martial arts, but it applies to the rest of life as well.

As a professional engineer, I look now for deficits in each of the four broad categories of necessary capabilities: Physical, intellectual, motivational, and unity.

In technology, "unity" usually means the system's integration with users and other systems, but can also mean the integration of its own components with each other. In fighting it means integrating one's self with the opponent's OODA loop, but also complying with society's rules so as to avoid society turning on you. In personal relationships it means compromise, understanding, and support.

Of the four categories, it's the one in which I'm usually weakest, so I pay it the most careful attention. I've got oodles of the other three.

Robot 07-22-2015 01:34 PM

Bruce Lee on Guns:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcP8ry2zQto

TRyan 07-22-2015 01:38 PM

Never start a fight, but always finish one.

wilderness medic 07-23-2015 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BJJ_Grappler (Post 7777941)
I learned that traditional martial arts are mostly garbage.

LOL! Almost word for word what I was thinking before scrolling down.

Jamais Arriere 07-23-2015 12:49 AM

It is all fun and games until someone gets punched in the mouth.......

I learned my limitations. There is always someone who is either bigger or faster or both. Like the other man said it is best not to get into fights.

IntroC 07-26-2015 07:12 PM

Kick em in the nuts. Its even illegal in the UFC. Must be effective.

Popeye Doyle 07-29-2015 03:55 PM

Boards don't hit back.

nameless_warrior 07-29-2015 04:02 PM

Never Underestimate your opponent.

The best way to win a fight is to avoid a fight.

L.Adams 07-29-2015 04:23 PM

"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect." I am going to say that it applies to hand to hand or weaponry as well.

Viper6Niner 07-29-2015 05:05 PM

Setting aside the cliche but wise response about avoiding confrontation assuming that is no longer an option:

I learned that pity, a sense of honor and fairness are weaknesses. Use any weapon available, hit the softest targets as hard as you can, hit them when they are down (especially when they are down), keep striking until they are dead or incapable of movement and dehumanize any and all threats.

BJJ_Grappler 07-30-2015 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Popeye Doyle (Post 7795692)
Boards don't hit back.

You had to participate in learning martial arts to figure that one out? :rolleyes:

penguinman000 07-30-2015 11:28 AM

The biggest lesson I learned is live training is key. "Everyone has a plan until they get hit".

If you can't practice your skill sets in a realistic (meaning against an actively resisting opponent), safe and regular manner you are simply deluding yourself. Your skill sets will probably fail you when it matters the most.

Bazooka Joe 07-30-2015 11:36 AM

Train more than you sleep.

Mr. Sockpuppet 07-30-2015 07:59 PM

Its easier to hurt someone, than to heal them.

Doc_Shane 08-03-2015 07:07 PM

Confidence, self control, and the will to continue the fight to the end.