Survivalist Forum

Survivalist Forum (https://www.survivalistboards.com/index.php)
-   Manmade and Natural Disasters (https://www.survivalistboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Easter Day bombings in Sri Lanka (https://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=916294)

KLF 04-21-2019 05:53 AM

Easter Day bombings in Sri Lanka

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-s...-idUSKCN1RX038

My local news just updated: 8 explosions in different targets, 150+ dead.
Targets were churches and hotels that tourists use.

Last bomb went off less than 30 minutes ago.

edit:
https://www.express.co.uk/news/world...-terror-attack

189 dead, 400+ wounded.

Among the dead 11 foreigners, Americans, British, Portuguese and Dutch so far mentioned.

Three Catholic churches, three luxury hotels, a zoo and a restaurant in the suburb.

benson56 04-21-2019 06:17 AM

I've been looking at this.....don't dare mention any specific group which likes to blow people up and kill Christians.

KLF 04-21-2019 06:42 AM

No mention of suspect group so far anywhere, no one has taken public responsibility either. Last time something like this went off, it was the tamil tigers I believe and that was a decade ago.

Whatsapp and most social media platforms are currently blocked to prevent fake news and rumors from spreading.

Let's see what happens next...

swamppapa 04-21-2019 06:48 AM

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...cid=spartanntp

heavily implies it was "extremist Bhudists" (apparently that's a thing)

Old fart 04-21-2019 06:52 AM

Some Somalis were jabbering excitedly about this awhile ago :eek: :mad:

I think I was the only one in the place that understood anything the young ladies were saying... they were smiling and happy and the man that was with them kept on getting them to calm down and be quiet, but by his body language, he was pleased as well :eek: :mad:

Praying...

Purdy Bear 04-21-2019 08:03 AM

The first I heard of this was during the Pope's Easter message. What a truly awful thing to do on such a religious day. My prayers are with everyone at this horrid time.

KLF 04-21-2019 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swamppapa (Post 19481776)
heavily implies it was "extremist Bhudists" (apparently that's a thing)

There is all kinds of rumors going on right now.

One source said attack was by "a foreign group", targeted to reduce tourism (=income) among other things.

Other source named small group inside Sri Lanka, NTJ (National Thowheeth Jama'ath) which is Islamic terrorist group.

Reportedly several arrests have already been made. Few hours more and we will probably know a lot more about who was behind this.

Latest death toll was 207. 27 foreigners dead, 5 reported missing. ~450 injured.

DoOver 04-21-2019 11:11 AM

I wonder if the NZ Prime Minister will now shed the muslum grab and refrain from calling for muslum prays in Parliament?

Lagnar 04-21-2019 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swamppapa (Post 19481776)
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...cid=spartanntp

heavily implies it was "extremist Buddhists" (apparently that's a thing)

Fake news msn.

Quote:

Local Christian groups have said they faced increasing intimidation from some extremist Buddhist monks in recent years.
The Daily Mail:

Quote:

Seven suspects have been arrested, as it emerged the country's police chief had warned of an Islamic extremist plot to target 'prominent churches' just 10 days earlier, but no group has yet claimed responsibility for the attack.
Who do YOU believe?

Quote:

Describing the Cinnamon Grand bombing, a hotel manager said the attacker had registered the night before as Mohamed Azzam Mohamed.

The bomber was just about to be served when he set off the explosives which were strapped to his back, killing himself and numerous guests.
Those dang Buddhists and their suicide bombers. :eek:

Sal4liberty 04-21-2019 11:56 AM

ilhan omar "some people did something"

comdot 04-21-2019 12:44 PM

Christians only comprise 8% of the population and the majority of Christians are Catholics. Most of the dead were attending services or arriving at service for Easter Sunday.

dropshot 04-21-2019 12:44 PM

Quakers at it again.

Revmgt 04-21-2019 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoOver (Post 19482044)
I wonder if the NZ Prime Minister will now shed the muslum grab and refrain from calling for muslum prays in Parliament?

Nope, American nationalists are the most dangerous group, not Muslims, didnít you hear?

SurvivalOfTheFit 04-21-2019 01:56 PM

It looks like the religion of peace has struck again.

A_SonofLiberty 04-21-2019 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KLF (Post 19481772)
No mention of suspect group so far anywhere, no one has taken public responsibility either. Last time something like this went off, it was the tamil tigers I believe and that was a decade ago.

Whatsapp and most social media platforms are currently blocked to prevent fake news and rumors from spreading.

Let's see what happens next...

IIRC, they never specifically targeted Christians and IIRC they never attacked a Christian church though they did attack a mosque or two. I doubt this is a resurgence of the Tamils. IMO, this is likely some people doing some things :rolleyes:

KLF 04-21-2019 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A_SonofLiberty (Post 19482236)
IIRC, they never specifically targeted Christians and IIRC they never attacked a Christian church though they did attack a mosque or two. I doubt this is a resurgence of the Tamils. IMO, this is likely some people doing some things :rolleyes:

Yea, I was referring to the magnitude of the attacks after a decade rather than who did it.

KLF 04-21-2019 07:17 PM

Apparently 9th bomb went off in a mosque few hours ago and two muslim-owned shops were burned down during the day.

An IED was found at the main airport near the capital, it did not go off and was disposed.

13 people arrested. Still can't find official confirmation about who is responsible.

swamppapa 04-21-2019 07:40 PM

The perpetrators have learned and adapted. There will be very few if any (mostly individuals seeking notoriety) claims of responsibility.

Not knowing for certain is more intimidating, than having suspicions confirmed

Timbersawz 04-21-2019 08:33 PM

The Tamil Tigers were some of the original innovators of suicide bombings, they carried out over 150 of them from the 80's to 2000's but I dont know if they ever targeted christians, but did target Buddhist sites a few times.
Although largely Hindi they were ideologically non secular.

Find young men, arm train and indoctrinate, give them an enemy

And over tried and all the reliable recipe for any nation, religion, race etc but sounds like it could be islam this time round

Govt had warnings, seems not much was done, thats all to common as well.

An awful crime

dropshot 04-22-2019 12:14 AM

Retaliation for Christ Church.