Survivalist Forum

Survivalist Forum (https://www.survivalistboards.com/index.php)
-   Disaster Preparedness General Discussion (https://www.survivalistboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   military generator advice ? (https://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=334615)

Sal4liberty 01-04-2014 06:25 PM

military generator advice ?
 
Anybody familiar with military diesel gensets . Im looking at one for sale at local auction

Is 1900 hours a lot , are these things well serviced or just used and abused ?

Sgtlong63b 01-04-2014 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salvation996sps (Post 6200995)
Anybody familiar with military diesel gensets . Im looking at one for sale at local auction

Is 1900 hours a lot , are these things well serviced or just used and abused ?

I spent 12 years working on these things in the Army and another six as a civilian contractor. Those hours can seem like a lot.

It is dependent on when it was last reset, model, and date of manufacture. If it has been recently rebuilt then the hours can actually be low, or if the gauge has been replaced from an older set. If properly maintained the hours can be a good thing.

Most times they are serviced about once or twice a year and then sit without being put into operation anywhere from six to twelve months at a time.

Without knowing more info or being able to see its condition, it is hard to answer the questions.

Best of luck!:thumb:

Sal4liberty 01-04-2014 07:35 PM

its a 1991 Libby Welding 5kw model MEP-002A similar to the one pictured here

http://bulletproofgenerator.com/

thank you for your advice

jronwood 01-04-2014 07:37 PM

Be specific with model...ie M701 with ask...acoustic suppression kit....or M_______ fill in the blank. They go all the time on GovLiquidation...i got a few for cheap with 100 hoirs and another with 300. Make sure the volts and hertz are what you need..they cant be modified cheaply. .

MEP002 is a good size...they historically have gone for $500_1200. You gotta go pick it up and HOPE it isnt major $ to fix. If you can hear it run and it runs well pay the upper limit.

Sgtlong63b 01-04-2014 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jronwood (Post 6201191)
Be specific with model...ie M701 with ask...acoustic suppression kit....or M_______ fill in the blank. They go all the time on GovLiquidation...i got a few for cheap with 100 hoirs and another with 300. Make sure the volts and hertz are what you need..they cant be modified cheaply. .

MEP002 is a good size...they historically have gone for $500_1200. You gotta go pick it up and HOPE it isnt major $ to fix. If you can hear it run and it runs well pay the upper limit.

I will second this post. If it fires easily, runs smooth, no blue or heavy black smoke after firing it is in pretty good shape. Thes have been around for years and were just phased out due to their high noise. Will run multiple phase, volts, and hertz are adjustable. Easy to work on with pretty basic parts. Don't know how available the parts are anymore, tend to be military specific on some parts.:thumb:

Sal4liberty 01-04-2014 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sgtlong63b (Post 6201219)
I will second this post. If it fires easily, runs smooth, no blue or heavy black smoke after firing it is in pretty good shape. Thes have been around for years and were just phased out due to their high noise. Will run multiple phase, volts, and hertz are adjustable. Easy to work on with pretty basic parts. Don't know how available the parts are anymore, tend to be military specific on some parts.:thumb:

say if you could get it for around $500 and the motor needed rebuilt. would it be worth it to have it rebuilt ?

P.S thank you guys

Sgtlong63b 01-04-2014 08:24 PM

If engine is only part and can be rebuilt you are looking at about 1,200 in kit, engines go higher. Unfortunately Onan likes their parts just like Harley does. If it takes more than just an engine the cost just goes higher and higher. Most times it was cheaper to buy a whole gen set over replacing the engine in parts only not to include labor. Some engines have up to three different head gaskets that are used, due to different thickness. Only way to tell is to disassemble engine, place solder under head, reassemble, disassemble and measure. Wrong one equalls no run or bent rods.

If it does not run it can be cheaper to buy a new one. Sorry!

Get a good one and will take care of you for life, bad one will be a money pit.

Good luck!

Sal4liberty 01-04-2014 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sgtlong63b (Post 6201329)
If engine is only part and can be rebuilt you are looking at about 1,200 in kit, engines go higher. Unfortunately Onan likes their parts just like Harley does. If it takes more than just an engine the cost just goes higher and higher. Most times it was cheaper to buy a whole gen set over replacing the engine in parts only not to include labor. Some engines have up to three different head gaskets that are used, due to different thickness. Only way to tell is to disassemble engine, place solder under head, reassemble, disassemble and measure. Wrong one equalls no run or bent rods.

If it does not run it can be cheaper to buy a new one. Sorry!

Get a good one and will take care of you for life, bad one will be a money pit.

Good luck!

thank you sgtlong thats the exact kinda info i was looking for

I been in the construction industry long enough to know all these different pieces of equipment have their little tricks of the trade to determine weather they are worth fixing or not , I just haven't been around gensets much

I could have rooted the web for days and missed the about the head gaskets :thumb:

Necred 01-05-2014 07:05 AM

Parts can be impossible,,,eng friend that works for AFB told me to stay away from them for this reason.

jronwood 01-05-2014 07:30 AM

Thanks, i learned something too. Good posts , this is why i like pto gensets....tractor is always in working condition. .

subvetssn 01-05-2014 09:54 AM

As a contractor with experience working in Afghanistan, I would avoid any recently auctioned off military gensets unless there was documented or otherwise obvious major service.

The ones at the FOBs were abused, neglected, overheated, ran for hours and hours at a time under extreme conditions without benefit of servicing. It was supposed to be my job to fly out into the field and deal with issues as they arose. Did I tell you that I'm not a diesel mechanic by trade? Which is good, because I never flew out to the FOBs for "repairs". We rarely did.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:18 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © Kevin Felts 2006 - 2015,