Survivalist Forum

Survivalist Forum (https://www.survivalistboards.com/index.php)
-   Florida (https://www.survivalistboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=160)
-   -   Threats specific to Florida (https://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=834674)

James Ruadh 01-24-2018 09:45 AM

Threats specific to Florida

What common threats do people need to prepare for in Florida that may not be immediately obvious to the outsider? I'm just looking to cover the basics at the moment as I'll be starting from scratch. Suggestions would be hugely appreciated.

[_]ni/\/\og 01-24-2018 10:05 AM

Elderly drivers and drunken tourists and Mosquitos....

I lived in the panhandle for awhile (Pensacola) and only major reoccurring issues were bad storms and hurricanes. It does get cool in winter so keep that's in mind too. Nice backup generator is worth its weight. Crime wasn't bad then (I can't speak of currently) so wasn't much of issue. Keep in mind there are only a handful of ways in and out of Florida the father South you go, so in a big event movement is going to be restricted. The basics for home and vehicle (lists of which can be found all over board) should be all you need until you get settled in.

Florida Jean 01-24-2018 12:14 PM

You forgot FIRE ANTS!

Basically, if you prep for a Hurricane [not three days worth, three weeks worth min.] and remember pest control [fire ants and palmetto bugs -- aka roaches -- like houses when when their homes get flooded out; and that all that water increases mosquitos]. Screen doors and windows to keep the mosquitoes. Something to treat bites; particularly if they bother you.

Don't get a house in a drainage basin. Do get a concrete block one. One or two small window air conditioners to use with your generator.

Be able to tell good snakes from bad and encourage the former. Don't worry about alligators [except to keep track of your smaller pets]. Do worry more about black bears. Don't forget the potential of wildfires [and be ready to leave -- but that goes for pretty much anywhere].

If you are in an urban area definitely store water first. You can stretch food, you can't stretch water.

Go to the stores before 9 am to avoid the seniors and tourists if they annoy you. Snow bird season is from Thanksgiving to shortly after Easter [since Easter varies]. Spring break is horrid -- don't go to the beach then unless you are young and looking for a drunk hook up.

ManVsLawn 01-24-2018 12:32 PM

Sun protection is huge.

Get a couple of hats... I wear a large brimmed straw one for work but most wear ball caps.

Sunglasses. Backups for sunglasses in each vehicle and bag.

Sunscreen. I use NO-AD, high SPF, as it is cheap, and has been tested to work very well.

Lots of creepy crawlies and wildlife. Not Australia-level deadly....but still, there are some things I'd rather not encounter.

FALPhil 01-24-2018 01:43 PM

Social unrest. Google "Liberty City Riots". If it ever happens again, it will be worse and more widespread due to the number of non-Americans living in Florida today.

Nomad-max 01-24-2018 02:04 PM

Storms - as said above plan for 3 weeks not 3 days.
Heat - keep a geni WITH good supply of gas and window or portable AC plus fans. Also make sure the house is sealed up tight - no window/door gaps to leak.
Water - its wet down here - from above, below and just in the air. 90% humidity is just something to get used to.
Bugs - we have em - so will you - get a sprayer or a QUALITY service.
Mosquitoes - find a spray/wrist band/whatever that keeps your local infestation at bay. Don't have ANY standing water around you place (old tires/full flower pots/unused kiddie pools).
Snakes/gators/iguanas - learn about them because you will see them more than you think.
Druggies - same as everywhere else
Condo commandos behind the wheel - RUN!
Tourists - you will learn a new form of hate depending on where you settle down.

The rest you will have to deal with on your own :)

cook 01-24-2018 02:09 PM

Keep the car in good shape,tires heat up quick.

IrishRifles 01-27-2018 04:01 PM

How about the over a quarter million Puerto Rican refugee's governor Rick Scott just brought over and plans on building permanent section 8 housing for?
In reality, quadruple that number for when they bring all their family members over when they finally get settled in...

makobytes 01-27-2018 07:54 PM

The obvious threat is hurricanes and tornadoes. Other threats include lunatics that come from other states and countries and end up in FL. doing their lunatic stuff. If you are buying a property. Make sure it is on high ground. A lot of subdivisions were built on drained swamp land and do have seasonal flooding issues. Bugging out in FL in a shtf situation is not a good option. Too many people and not enough wilderness. Also, the roads will all be gridlocked. So look for a property that you could hunker down in and wait out any societal upheavals or unpleasantness. The heat and humidity is oppressive and more dangerous than most people understand. Adjust your life style accordingly. Learn which snakes are dangerous and leave the non poisonous ones alone. Snakes in your yard help to keep down rodents and those pterodactyl size palmetto bugs that are also known as roaches. Avoid the sun! I have seen fishing friends that were Northerners that like to soak up the sun and often would have sunburns. The sun is not good for your skin and can lead to skin cancer. It is very common. Welcome to Florida!

Helion 01-27-2018 08:02 PM

"Florida man" Latin Homo Floridus,bugs, heat, humidity, hurricanes, AIDS (south beach area), snowbirds, alligators, sink holes around the brackish areas.

Minozarkco 01-29-2018 12:41 AM

if you are prepping, Population and low lying areas are your biggest threats. Fire ants are a big second, so i go to war with them by busting the mound on a dry day and covering with diatomaceous earth. the next day (also dry) i pour a cheap DIET soda around the diatomaceous earth. h
Half of them die, the others turn into zombies.

Kalashnikov47 01-29-2018 09:10 AM

Hurricanes in the panhandle are likely gonna be your biggest natural threat, they seem to gravitate toward there...

Fireants aren't that big of a deal if you keep your yard under control...

Seek out less populated areas in the state, stay from large cities as they are populated with communists...

Florida is not a bad state, its hot in the summer but what place isn't? There are other states far north of FL that get hotter but our summer lasts longer, the benefit is growing season is year round...

Plus its called the sunshine state because its sunny much of the time, but Floridians call it the gunshine state...:)

cook 01-30-2018 05:05 AM

I'm re-reading this and will add another thing.

Tolerance.

You will be dealing with a huge hispanic population,there is just no getting around that, its a simple fact.Not just hispanic,but from every corner of the world.

There will be things you see or hear that you don't agree with,but not much you can do about it other than leave.
There are good and bad people everywhere.
You don't have to take any BS,or change your values,but be prepared for culture shock.

Fonz 02-17-2018 08:18 AM

^^ Very timely and wise advice from cook in light of recent events.

Avoidance is another. Of tightly packed subdivisions, of Orlando and Miami entirely, and the known snow bird congregating areas.

AirForceVeteran 02-18-2018 09:21 AM

Living in Seminole County 22 miles North of Orlando... Lots of private hunting areas, 4 Wildlife areas on which to hunt, Hundreds of lakes, tons of fish, life is good!

AirForceVeteran 02-18-2018 09:35 AM

But, if you love big bullfrogs, gotta go where the brackish water, full of gators, is! Seminole County!

maersk 03-09-2018 04:14 PM

New york transplants......sadly ruining the state

Soladaddy 03-29-2018 09:17 AM

Most all of the good, high and dry land is the older towns that had the pick of the land when developing. Some exceptions are newly converted ranch land to subdivisions (which I hate). From I-4 south and maybe even SR50, give up on a bugout; just hunker down. Like others said, prep for a month of no power/food from a storm. I grew up with natives all around me and now have the UN represented in the hood.

wootie 03-29-2018 09:33 PM

Get a couple of hats with crowns. Cover your ears. Those baseball caps may look macho but they will not protect the top of your ears from sun cancer.

sabrecrash 08-16-2018 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FALPhil (Post 17435746)
Social unrest. Google "Liberty City Riots". If it ever happens again, it will be worse and more widespread due to the number of non-Americans living in Florida today.

many locations have had riots, and many more will, it's culture not location. Look at Ferguson, Baltimore, LA. Chicago seems to be a continuous ongoing riot/gang war. Most of this type of behavior is in big city, inner city areas. People outside of the cities seem to be more civilized. The riot in Miami happened in the 80s, (thirty years ago) in an area I would not have gone into to start with.