Survivalist Forum

Survivalist Forum (https://www.survivalistboards.com/index.php)
-   The Tech Zone (https://www.survivalistboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Jeez, I knew Chrome was bad, but not THIS bad (https://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=920556)

The Old Coach 06-23-2019 05:26 PM

Jeez, I knew Chrome was bad, but not THIS bad

11,189 tracker cookies in one week. All of which would have been blocked by Firefox.

https://www.siliconvalley.com/2019/0...ime-to-switch/

Ask me again why I haven't "upgraded" my O/S and my browser.

TraderBob 06-23-2019 06:21 PM

Try the Brave browser

HomeDefense 06-23-2019 06:53 PM

It's not just a matter of tracking cookies. Chrome tracks everything you do on the web.

This is actually old news. Chrome has been reporting every web page a person visits ever since its release. I once ran several tests that proved it.

If you know how to build web sites, it's easy to set up web pages that are technically invisible to search engine spiders. If there are no links to the page and the page does not show up in a site's sitemap.xml file, there is no way for a search engine to find it. But visit the page using Chrome and it will show up in Google's index.

Most people believe Google uses Chrome as a supplemental spider to find new web pages and web sites. There could, however, be more sinister reasons.

I hate to think about what they are doing through Android cell phones, which is why I will never own an Android device.

Remember this: Google is not your friend.

The Old Coach 06-23-2019 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TraderBob (Post 19601736)
Try the Brave browser

Can't They haven't bothered to compile a version for XP. Not happy with Mozilla's politics, but I'll stick with my old Ver. 52.9.0. I just went through the exercise of recloned my main drive to two other matching Dells and two spare drives. One Dell and both spares are stored off-site, just in case. Even if they make it impossible to get a legacy version of an app off the Innertubes**, I'm covered.

** Which NoScript apparently has done. Bttttttt! I've got it anyway, Giorgio!

ActionJackson 06-23-2019 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Old Coach (Post 19601632)
11,189 tracker cookies in one week. All of which would have been blocked by Firefox.

https://www.siliconvalley.com/2019/0...ime-to-switch/

Ask me again why I haven't "upgraded" my O/S and my browser.

Chrome is owned by Google which is the most invasive, anti-privacy company on earth. I avoid all things Google! I just downloaded a browser called "Brave" but I need to do some research on this company. It appears that it may be an extension or modification of Chrome but I'm not sure yet. It came as a recommendation from a Conservative friend of mine but it's a fairly new browser so I want to be careful.

I dumped Firefox after many years. They just teamed up with George Soros. That's very bad news!

https://steemit.com/freedom/@tell-me...h-george-soros

http://www.educationviews.org/mozill...ike-fake-news/

https://www.reddit.com/r/The_Donald/..._george_soros/

I'm currently using the Pale Moon browser but I'm not sure if they're my kind of folks either. Still searching for a good, independent, Conservative-minded, free speech type of platform (if one exists).

Justme11 06-23-2019 10:34 PM

Brave is just an old rev of Firefox.

I used to use Firefox, but started having issues with it slowing way down and updating every damn day.

I like Chrome. Runs lightning fast. Handles all the media better. You can click on "opt out of website tracking".
I use Ad Block plus and Norton. I used ghostery and No script for a while, but then stuff would never open up and I would have to disable them all the time. Better for me to just not use them.

I figure if someone wants to know my browsing habits, there are ways regardless of what I do.

The Old Coach 06-23-2019 10:35 PM

Read my post above. Brave doesn't run at all on XP-Pro, old version of Firefox or not. I tried.

My guess is that, since I'm running an old version of Firefox which they're not updating, their "fake news" feature may pass me by. In any event, as long as I keep my legacy O/S, the only option would be to kowtow to Microsoft and run Explorer. DO NOT tell me to switch to Linux! Already tried that, and the disaster took me a whole day to unwind.

Since I'm running Firefox 52.9.0, which they aren't supporting, I never get updates; no slowdowns.

How do you know that the "Opt Out" button actually does anything?

Justme11 06-23-2019 10:39 PM

When I was still running firefox, I rolled back to an old version that didn't have the massive screen delays. but I was concerned about all the vulnerabilities that I was exposed to without updating.

The Old Coach 06-23-2019 10:48 PM

Are their updates actually doing anything for security? Or are they just running irrelevant graphics bug fixes and foreign language option stuff.

Running Norton (in my case McAfee) should catch anything the Firefox is missing, I would think.

One thing I absolutely love about being on the Hughes satellite is that they've already firewalled all the pings and port requests I used to get on DSL. I don't even run my log anymore - there's never anything to look at.

Justme11 06-23-2019 10:58 PM

I'm not an IT expert, so I wouldn't know. Maybe someone else can advise on that.

The other issue was some websites stop working with old browser versions. (like bank websites).

Steverino 06-23-2019 11:08 PM

I used to work for Symantec (makers of Norton)... none of the employees would touch Norton with a 20 foot pole... we called it bloatware... everyone uninstalled it.

Justme11 06-23-2019 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steverino (Post 19602204)
I used to work for Symantec (makers of Norton)... none of the employees would touch Norton with a 20 foot pole... we called it bloatware... everyone uninstalled it.

Yes, I think everyone calls it that. :)

But it has kept my machines safe as can be for at least 5 years now. And it apparently does automatic backups to the cloud. And I got 10 licenses for like 25 bucks for almost 2 years.

That extra room on the disk was just gathering dust anyways. :)

Tactical Lever 06-24-2019 12:39 AM

Nobody uses DuckDuckGo?

The Old Coach 06-24-2019 01:01 AM

For a search engine, absolutely. It's no longer uncommon for somebody to say "Duck it" instead of "G****e it".

The Old Coach 06-24-2019 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justme11 (Post 19602178)
I'm not an IT expert, so I wouldn't know. Maybe someone else can advise on that.

The other issue was some websites stop working with old browser versions. (like bank websites).

Something else I never do. No financial stuff online. None zero. Annoys my credit card bank no end. :thumb:

Steverino 06-24-2019 05:57 AM

regarding Chrome: removed

The Old Coach 06-24-2019 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steverino (Post 19602554)

That's the same article as the one I posted to start this thread, but mirrored on SiliconValley.com. I would never hand free clicks to the WaPpo

HomeDefense 06-24-2019 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tactical Lever (Post 19602358)
Nobody uses DuckDuckGo?

DuckDuckGo is a search engine, not a browser. I use it. If you do not want your searches tracked, DuckDuckGo is a good option. Another good choice is StartPage.com.

I was aware of FireFox's BS announcements about filtering out fake news, but not about George Soros' involvement. That guarantees that anything they say they are doing with FireFox is fake news. That means Soros has probably infiltrated Thunderbird, as well. Damn. :( Thunderbird has always been wa-a-a-a-ay better than Outlook.

OrneryOldBat 06-24-2019 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Old Coach (Post 19602408)
Something else I never do. No financial stuff online. None zero. Annoys my credit card bank no end. :thumb:

I've been in IT for awhile and I have a realistic idea of what companies that track data know about me so Chrome was not a surprise. It boils down to if you don't pay for the product, you are the product.

I do a fair amount of business online so I tackled the privacy issue by dividing my online use into two buckets and never letting them cross. I still use gmail, google and amazon for what I consider my public persona. That includes credit cards or almost anything that I'd have to log in for.

Everything else goes through a private email provider (Hushmail), firefox, duckduckgo, etc. Security set to wipe cookies, trackers, etc. when a page closes. Tor for a few accounts like this one, otherwise nothing that requires a log in.

Most private of course is cash transaction, in person. Last year, we drove almost 100 miles to buy 600 lbs of various grains from a mill, in cash, false name on receipt.

It's not perfect, but it meets my needs. Facebag, amazon and google think I'm a lovable granny with cats and fiber-related hobbies. Which is partially true.

ActionJackson 06-24-2019 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steverino (Post 19602204)

I wouldn't use Norton or McAfee because of their close ties to the monstrous Tech Companies. I use ESET Smart Security. Fast and efficient.