Survivalist Forum

Survivalist Forum (https://www.survivalistboards.com/index.php)
-   Arkansas (https://www.survivalistboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   Living off-grid illegal in Arkansas? (https://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=936764)

JackJ 02-04-2020 08:09 PM

Living off-grid illegal in Arkansas?

Hi, I bought a piece of property in Arkansas and I'm planning on building an off-grid tiny house on it. I'm gonna catch the rainwater off the roof, filter it into a 255-gallon tank and pump it into the sink and shower with a 12v pump. For power I'll use a generator and solar panels. I'm planning to drain the graywater off into a makeshift underground leach field. For feces I'm going to compost. I've lived in a camper for years, have off-grid friends in Missouri and Arizona, etc so this type of lifestyle is no stranger to me.

The problem is, after looking up and trying to understand the laws and the Health Department regulations, it sounds like basically all of that is illegal besides solar panels. You can't even catch and drink the rainwater! (Google 17-38-201). And even if you catch the rainwater for non-potable purposes the system has to be installed by a licenced engineer.

Grey water is basically treated the same legally as dumping raw sewage. The Health Department told me any building with piping must have a standard septic system, period. And the only way you can compost human waste is if you buy a $1,800+ NSF 41 certified Sun-Mar toilet which has awful reviews and is faulty.

So basically, I'm ***ing appalled. I thought Arkansas was a state that respected civil land use rights, that allowed people to live naturally as long as they weren't harming other people. Turns out Arkansas is one of the most tyrannical states in the country when it comes to living off-grid.

So I'm still planning on going through with my off-grid cabin plan, just curious if anyone has any opinions on how likely it is I'll be caught or persecuted. I'll be out in the woods and I won't be being a nuisance. I haven't heard any of these unjust laws discussed online and I wonder, is anyone even aware of these restrictions? It's pretty clear that dirty bureaucrats slipped this garbage into the legislature without the consent of the public. From what I gather these laws haven't been on the books for more than a decade or so. If anyone has any comments or advice I would appreciate it. Am I understanding the restrictions right? And does anyone else live fully off-grid in Arkansas without a septic system?

augoldminer 02-04-2020 10:47 PM

a cheap septic system is not hard to build.

Two tote tanks can be used if you dig the hole just larger then the totes and put 2 bag concrete around them and 4 bag concrete on top with a way to pump them out.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/174106092762
Leach line is simple 4 inch pvc leach line.

The metal frame around the totes acts as rebar for the

This would be rated for three people full time.

I have done a few of these at remote mines i was working.

JackJ 02-04-2020 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by augoldminer (Post 20033784)
a cheap septic system is not hard to build.

Two tote tanks can be used if you dig the hole just larger then the totes and put 2 bag concrete around them and 4 bag concrete on top with a way to pump them out.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/174106092762
OFF GRID septic using totes - YouTube
Leach line is simple 4 inch pvc leach line.

The metal frame around the totes acts as rebar for the

This would be rated for three people full time.

I have done a few of these at remote mines i was working.

My plan is just to use a composting toilet, and have a composting pile outside for the finished compost. I'll either bury it or use it to fertilize ornamental plants. For sink and shower water, I'm just going to run it straight to an underground drain/leach field. Something like this: https://youtu.be/qgCBevCRLvw?t=390

My concern is the legality issue, and what would happen if I got reported and investigated. I could install a makeshift septic system like you're talking but that's definitely not legal in Arkansas, not sure which states it is. You pretty much always need construction and use permits don't you? The Health Department was making it sound like peeing in your own backyard is illegal. It really ticks me off. My sink and shower water will be pretty much sanitary and I won't even be using any inorganic soaps or cleaners. No doubt that composting the feces would be better for the environment than a normal septic system. I'm gonna do it safely and responsibly so I shouldn't have any pushback but it's still concerning the overreach of government when it comes to living off-grid. Even in highly conservative red states.. It's shocking.

Spade 03-31-2020 08:49 AM

A man down the road from me is building off the grid and doesn't seem to have any rules to contend with. He has solar panels and a well. Sewage is a composting toilet. You could also use an out house. He runs a generator now and then to power up his tools.

no guns here 03-31-2020 09:15 AM

Keep in mind that some counties, cities and towns have more stringent laws than others. Frequently, if you are out of city limits those rules go away or mostly go away. Again, if you are connected to a public utility, then you may have more rules to contend with than if you are not. My guess is that if it is like here, the county tax assessors will make it to your place at some point. At that point you might begin to have issues. However, some places are now using drones/aerial photography to check for any changes to your property before they send someone out. So... you might avoid them for a while, but eventually they will catch up to you for their $$$ and then if they see something they know isn't legal, they may report you to someone else. I doubt that an outhouse is illegal in the boonies up there. So you could build one, then use the composting toilet and dump in the outhouse. That might get you around it.
Water... drill a well if you can.

GrizzlyetteAdams 03-31-2020 11:34 AM

Do you live on a property that is less than 10 acres? If so, you will encounter more regulations.

charliemeyer007 03-31-2020 11:40 AM

Everything is illegal. The NWO/SWAMP wants you dead because climate change, over population .... Gubernment is not your friend. 1776 happened for a reason and will likely happen again soon - prepare.