Survivalist Forum

Survivalist Forum (https://www.survivalistboards.com/index.php)
-   Firearms General Discussion (https://www.survivalistboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Rossi ranch hand (mares leg) (https://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=116101)

shotgunken 06-25-2010 09:47 PM

good action poor concept same goes for caliber but 10 rounds of 357 mag r useless if you cant place right 400 dollor noise maker

blue123 06-25-2010 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shotgunken (Post 1689178)
good action poor concept same goes for caliber but 10 rounds of 357 mag r useless if you cant place right 400 dollor noise maker

aparently you have'nt read the whole thread .......

j.mack 06-25-2010 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarge912 (Post 1688786)

If you watch the JB Custom video, his mare's leg seems pretty accurate. He also demonstrates a couple different ways to shoot it.

whirlibird 06-26-2010 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarge912 (Post 1688749)
Just curious, have actually used a one of these?

Only an original 92 that had suffered some damage and was SBR'd and cut down to clean up the damage. (working as a gunsmith has it's advantages)

The owner was a Wanted DOA fan.

sarge912 06-26-2010 07:42 AM

I guess we will have to wait until it gets to the range. It looks like one that the rental folk will go crazy for. I have liked every Rossi I have ever used/owned.

j.mack 06-27-2010 03:02 PM

I read this morning a dealer has them listed but said they won't be available until November/December.

rebart 06-29-2010 01:49 PM

I like it.

:)The Rossi Ranch Hand is made to be used within fairly short distances. For example, you are charged by a bear, you don't have time to aim a rifle anyway. You need to swing into action FAST!

Speaking of unwieldly, which is most unwieldly, a full-length rifle or a mare's leg? Try wielding a rifle around in a tight situation in which you have to move fast. Sure, a revolver would be even faster, but a .44 mag or .45 Colt out of 12 inches will do more damage than the same caliber out of a 4-6 inch bbl. If you carry a revolver longer than with a 6-inch bbl you might as well go ahead and carry the mare's leg. I carry a revolver, too when fishing or when any bigger firearm is clumsy to carry.

Uses for a mare's leg: We intend to use our on our ATVs. We offroad and fish in the Montana high country by going in on our ATVs, and sometimes our 4WDs. This is Grizzly country. The mare's leg in a scabbard is much easier to carry on an ATV than a full-length rifle. There are other scenarios where the mare's leg is better than a rifle, too.

Cannon Fodder 06-29-2010 02:04 PM

Maybe I'm not seeing something right, but it appears to me that it has just enough buttstock to shoulder and fire like a short rifle. I love the looks of it. It would be worth buying just from a collector's standpoint,but I can see how for some people the mare's leg would truly serve a purpose. Like others have mentioned, it's essentially a holster-able carbine. Way cool.

shotgunken 06-29-2010 08:56 PM

id like to applogize for my comment my boss a rancher for over 45 yrs purchased 1 today in 44mag after bn proved wrong i hummbly applogize 50yrds n milk jugs were done 4 slick little beast to just go to show try it b4 you bash it :[

blue123 06-29-2010 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shotgunken (Post 1698317)
id like to applogize for my comment my boss a rancher for over 45 yrs purchased 1 today in 44mag after bn proved wrong i hummbly applogize 50yrds n milk jugs were done 4 slick little beast to just go to show try it b4 you bash it :[

thanks for the report it was helpful

shotgunken 07-01-2010 09:33 PM

bring one arm crossed in front of you to rest the forestock aim very much like a sidelock purcussion pistol an 50 yrds are no problem its a 12inch ballelled 44mag in all respect we used everleverlotion type bullets redtipped 44mags to be exact an talk about accurate, i just wish ATF wasnt so strict we;d like to use a full lenth 92 stock to see how that does id say 100yds could be accived

SgtBooker44 07-02-2010 03:12 AM

Looks like a nice pack or pick up gun. Fun, but not hte first gun I'd grab

sarge912 07-02-2010 07:50 AM

From what I gathered, talking to the CSR at Rossi, they had no idea it would generate the kind of response they are getting. The guy told me that if he had a dollar for every call about the Mare's leg, he could retire at the end of the week. So there must be a lot of folks champing at the bit. Two of my sons already want one and a third will probably join them if it every really arrives.

Amra910 07-02-2010 08:32 AM

I want one. Any recoil it might have will be much less than my little 30-30 Winchester has, and I have shot it with one hand. Just hard to hold the muzzle up for any length of time.

I think it will be much easier to shoot than what most here are thinking.

emclean 07-02-2010 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarge912 (Post 1704516)
From what I gathered, talking to the CSR at Rossi, they had no idea it would generate the kind of response they are getting.

with two movies, featureing them (ir ones that look like them) in teh last five years, adn one cult hit tv show a bit frther back. combined with half the cost of other makes of the pistol, they should have known it was going to be big.
they tied up three diffrent genres of fans (old westerns, sci-fi, and horror).

trockstroh 07-25-2010 11:46 PM

So why doesn't anyone think this is a practical gun? I keep reading about how many people think it is a novelty but why can't it be practical? I think that it is a great idea, it can be soldered and because of the barrel length it should be more accurate then a standard handgun. I feel that this would give the Ranch Hand an edge in many situations.

I will be buying one and taking it with me when I am backpacking and camping. I feel that this will be a much easier firearm to carry then a revolver and I also think that this added accuracy of this would help me neutralise a situation at a farther distance then a standard revolver.

On a more far-fetched note, I also think it could be a great SHTF gun. If you think about it if something happened you could not carry a rifle with out being noticed and this would give you an edge against people armed with standard Handguns.

I guess overall I just think it can be practical in some situations. I do understand that it is not for everyone and that Zombieland and other films have given them a bad name and made them look like a toy but I think they are more practical then you guys are giving them credit for.

emclean 07-26-2010 08:35 AM

Quote:

So why doesn't anyone think this is a practical gun? I keep reading about how many people think it is a novelty but why can't it be practical?
ergonomics + experance with a pistol version of a handgun.

an AK pistol sounds like it would have all the advantages you listed above, BUT the reality of it is that it takes the worst of both worlds and combines them. too heavy / unwieldy to shoot one handed, bending the strong arm makes it hard to keep it steady.

Quote:

If you think about it if something happened you could not carry a rifle with out being noticed and this would give you an edge against people armed with standard Handguns.
get a trench coat, or poncho. cheaper and more useful.

Quote:

I guess overall I just think it can be practical in some situations.
good for use in a vehicle.

by all means get one, then come back and tell me where i am wrong.

blue123 07-26-2010 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emclean (Post 1770526)
ergonomics + experance with a pistol version of a handgun.

an AK pistol sounds like it would have all the advantages you listed above, BUT the reality of it is that it takes the worst of both worlds and combines them. too heavy / unwieldy to shoot one handed, bending the strong arm makes it hard to keep it steady.

get a trench coat, or poncho. cheaper and more useful.

good for use in a vehicle.

by all means get one, then come back and tell me where i am wrong.

post #29 seems to ba a convert:thumb:

j.mack 07-27-2010 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trockstroh (Post 1770018)
So why doesn't anyone think this is a practical gun? I keep reading about how many people think it is a novelty but why can't it be practical? I think that it is a great idea, it can be soldered and because of the barrel length it should be more accurate then a standard handgun. I feel that this would give the Ranch Hand an edge in many situations.

I will be buying one and taking it with me when I am backpacking and camping. I feel that this will be a much easier firearm to carry then a revolver and I also think that this added accuracy of this would help me neutralise a situation at a farther distance then a standard revolver.

On a more far-fetched note, I also think it could be a great SHTF gun. If you think about it if something happened you could not carry a rifle with out being noticed and this would give you an edge against people armed with standard Handguns.

I guess overall I just think it can be practical in some situations. I do understand that it is not for everyone and that Zombieland and other films have given them a bad name and made them look like a toy but I think they are more practical then you guys are giving them credit for.

I tend to agree with your philosophy. I also think it could be a good hog gun for use in thick cover. As far as being heavy, I believe the weight is right at 4lbs. I have a Ruger .44 mag Redhawk with a 4 in. barrel which weighs the abt the same. I went ahead and pre-ordered one.

blue123 07-27-2010 05:04 PM

practicality is what you make of it........