Survivalist Forum

Survivalist Forum (https://www.survivalistboards.com/index.php)
-   Urban Survival (https://www.survivalistboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Grayman watches (https://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=923844)

BearShark 08-05-2019 02:17 PM

Grayman watches
 
Was thinking the other day that my watch might be a giveaway as to my profession. I see a lot of videos of people discussing grayman concepts and then wearing a big ole g-shock to give themselves away. Mine's a square g-shock so maybe not as noticeable but I'm in a large city where people have somewhat abandoned watches in favor of smartwatches, checking the time on their cell phones, or fashion watches. I see a few g-shocks around but not so many.

It also doesn't help that where I live I'm one of the few pale faces and people may assume I'm LEO anyway.

What do you think? Would a square g-shock be as much of a giveaway? Or am I already screwed by my mix of ethnicity and location? Would it be hugely noticeable if I covered it up with a buff or something?

Targe 08-05-2019 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BearShark (Post 19690922)
Was thinking the other day that my watch might be a giveaway as to my profession. I see a lot of videos of people discussing grayman concepts and then wearing a big ole g-shock to give themselves away. Mine's a square g-shock so maybe not as noticeable but I'm in a large city where people have somewhat abandoned watches in favor of smartwatches, checking the time on their cell phones, or fashion watches. I see a few g-shocks around but not so many.

It also doesn't help that where I live I'm one of the few pale faces and people may assume I'm LEO anyway.

What do you think? Would a square g-shock be as much of a giveaway? Or am I already screwed by my mix of ethnicity and location? Would it be hugely noticeable if I covered it up with a buff or something?

So what 'profession' is associated with G Shock watches?

I think 'bling' of any kind can be an attractive nuisance to the wrong element. As you say, you probably already shine like the proverbial 'diamond in a cat's ass' so other than not wanting to look affluent or just carrying visible 'goodies, I doubt a particular watch would be the trigger in targeting you. And unless you're working as an undercover agent, if people assess you as probably LEO, that's probably a deterrent.

BearShark 08-05-2019 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Targe (Post 19690940)
So what 'profession' is associated with G Shock watches?

Current or former military, law enforcement, serious security. I don't really see many people who don't fit that bill wearing them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Targe (Post 19690940)
I think 'bling' of any kind can be an attractive nuisance to the wrong element. As you say, you probably already shine like the proverbial 'diamond in a cat's ass' so other than not wanting to look affluent or just carrying visible 'goodies, I doubt a particular watch would be the trigger in targeting you. And unless you're working as an undercover agent, if people assess you as probably LEO, that's probably a deterrent.

True. I just don't want to attract the attention of the law enforcement types either in a bug out scenario.

Central Scrutinizer 08-05-2019 02:41 PM

My wife always tells me to leave my watch at home when we go to buy something that requires haggling, like a car or appliance. Funny she never thinks to leave her diamond ear rings at home?

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Revmgt 08-05-2019 02:45 PM

I don’t think it much matters, lots of people wear g-shock watches, not just “operators”. Someone who knows who is on the lookout for someone who is trying to be low key will probably notice more about you than just your watch.

G-shock watches have actually been hot with fashionable urbanites, you might be mistaken for a rapper

http://www.gangstagroup.com/casio-g-shock/

Revmgt 08-05-2019 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Central Scrutinizer (Post 19690964)
My wife always tells me to leave my watch at home when we go to buy something that requires haggling, like a car or appliance. Funny she never thinks to leave her diamond ear rings at home?

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Might actually help the haggling.
If they think you donít have the money they think they have you over the barrel. If you go in there like youíre loaded donít say you canít spend that much, say youíre unwilling to pay that much, theyíll see dollar signs walking out the door if you donít close the deal.

Targe 08-05-2019 02:50 PM

9 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by BearShark (Post 19690954)
Current or former military, law enforcement, serious security. I don't really see many people who don't fit that bill wearing them.

Well...there are a LOT of former military these days so it's not really a 'Selective Club'. Besides, how do you know every person you see wearing a G Shock is one of those categories: do you ask them?

I think given the popularity of 'looking like a pro' via wearing 'pro gear' by so many non-professionals, a G Shock watch is fairly innocuous. But if you think it shines too brightly, wear something duller.

Add to that, if bugging out, the smart bugger is probably wearing long sleeve shirts even in a sunny, warm clime.

Roll up your sleeves to get to work; roll down your sleeves to bug out. Covers the G Shock watch quite nicely.

🙂

Besides, if it's a bug out situation, most problems are going to arise from people wanting your other, more visible goodies: vehicle, boxes of food, jugs of water. If someone gets so close to see the brand of watch you're wearing, he's already targeted you

BearShark 08-05-2019 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Targe (Post 19690986)
Well...there are a LOT of former military these days so it's not really a 'Selective Club'. Besides, how do you know every person you see wearing a G Shock is one of those categories: do you ask them?

It's also the footwear, body language, etc. which give them away, which I suppose is more a point on other things I need to alter to blend in like movement patterns and body language.

And yeah...long sleeves are a must for me most of the year

Bluesman60 08-05-2019 02:59 PM

I don't think watches are a big give-away but 511 cargo pants or shirts, Logo wear and or tactical boots or even certain types of shoes and sunglasses are.... cooperating bad guys told me so. When I am in riskier countries, I like to wear a polo shirt with the logo of some south american soccer team with a soccer ball embroidered on it.

Targe 08-05-2019 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Central Scrutinizer (Post 19690964)
My wife always tells me to leave my watch at home when we go to buy something that requires haggling, like a car or appliance. Funny she never thinks to leave her diamond ear rings at home?

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

I agree. I have several vehicles from a 32 year old 'beater' Toyota with a spray can paint job to fairly new (I never buy new) nicer vehicles. I tailor my ride to the image I want to project depending on what I'm buying and from whom I'm buying.

ajole 08-05-2019 03:01 PM

I think a G shock says ďNothing to steal here, Iím old fashioned and not keeping up with the times.Ē

But I wear one most of the time.:thumb:

However...I have the slightly blingy metal band/case version, I have the larger rubbery dive model, and the smaller non-blingy aftermarket Velcro banded model that looks a lot like a $30 Timex or any other cheap plastic case sports watch.

Targe 08-05-2019 03:10 PM

9 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluesman60 (Post 19691004)
I don't think watches are a big give-away but 511 cargo pants or shirts, Logo wear and or tactical boots or even certain types of shoes and sunglasses are.... cooperating bad guys told me so. When I am in riskier countries, I like to wear a polo shirt with the logo of some south american soccer team with a soccer ball embroidered on it.

EXCELLENT!

On that subject, in all sincerity, always make sure whatever sports team logo you wear doesn't incite unwanted attention from opposing fans. We had a guy who wore a Manchester United windbreaker to a pub in Edinburgh once. Thought it would be a 'cute conversation starter'. He literally got beat down by two or three FEMALE Scottish soccer hooligans.

He claimed it was a 'mob' but nope...the security cam footage clearly showed it was only two women -albeit a very healthy pair of Scottish lasses- who took him down and then a third who joined in on the 'shoe-ing' and spitting on his face.

LOL

Targe 08-05-2019 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajole (Post 19691014)

However...I have the slightly blingy metal band/case version, I have the larger rubbery dive model, and the smaller non-blingy aftermarket Velcro banded model that looks a lot like a $30 Timex or any other cheap plastic case sports watch.

Dude, I would TOTALLY be after that watch after the Zombie Apocalypse!

🙂

BASS 08-05-2019 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Targe (Post 19691046)
Dude, I would TOTALLY be after that watch after the Zombie Apocalypse!

🙂

Old TIMEX works for me. Scratched face and worn leather band. :xeye:

This subject made me look though a drawer where I have several old watches. Most are TIMEX electric. When I looked through the drawer where I also keep other small things I found a watch I forgot about. It is an old TIMEX "water resistant" wind up in olive drab with a nylon band. I wound it up and it runs fine. It will work even in SHTF times.

I remember buying it now at a flea market for I think less than $5.00 without the band. I continued walking around the market and bought the nylon cloth band for ? $1.00.

HumanPolygraph 08-05-2019 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BearShark (Post 19690922)
Was thinking the other day that my watch might be a giveaway as to my profession. I see a lot of videos of people discussing grayman concepts and then wearing a big ole g-shock to give themselves away. Mine's a square g-shock so maybe not as noticeable but I'm in a large city where people have somewhat abandoned watches in favor of smartwatches, checking the time on their cell phones, or fashion watches. I see a few g-shocks around but not so many.

It also doesn't help that where I live I'm one of the few pale faces and people may assume I'm LEO anyway.

What do you think? Would a square g-shock be as much of a giveaway? Or am I already screwed by my mix of ethnicity and location? Would it be hugely noticeable if I covered it up with a buff or something?

Great topic...I vote for the square G. The most basic battery operated one, 5600? Virtually disposable. Going with the 6900 or another favored by LEO and military might be a give away.

jeff_k 08-05-2019 04:09 PM

I vote for the Vostok line of watches. All mechanical!

I have the Vostok amphibian, water resistant as well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B077P...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Targe 08-05-2019 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeff_k (Post 19691202)
I vote for the Vostok line of watches. All mechanical!

I have the Vostok amphibian, water resistant as well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B077P...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But won't wearing one of those tag you as an active or former Soviet Spetznaz, KGB, GRU operator -?

🙂

jeff_k 08-05-2019 04:17 PM

Da komrade...Or you got it off a deceased one 😉

FerFAL 08-05-2019 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BearShark (Post 19690922)
Was thinking the other day that my watch might be a giveaway as to my profession. I see a lot of videos of people discussing grayman concepts and then wearing a big ole g-shock to give themselves away. Mine's a square g-shock so maybe not as noticeable but I'm in a large city where people have somewhat abandoned watches in favor of smartwatches, checking the time on their cell phones, or fashion watches. I see a few g-shocks around but not so many.

It also doesn't help that where I live I'm one of the few pale faces and people may assume I'm LEO anyway.

What do you think? Would a square g-shock be as much of a giveaway? Or am I already screwed by my mix of ethnicity and location? Would it be hugely noticeable if I covered it up with a buff or something?

Black Gshock screams cop-military. I have a nice shiny titanium protrek. Tough as nails, looks good and it doesnt look "tactical".

Targe 08-05-2019 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeff_k (Post 19691228)
Da komrade...Or you got it off a deceased one 😉

LOL Works for me!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:23 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © Kevin Felts 2006 - 2015,