Survivalist Forum

Survivalist Forum (https://www.survivalistboards.com/index.php)
-   Disaster Preparedness General Discussion (https://www.survivalistboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Pick one piece of survival gear (https://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=161232)

flickteed 03-30-2011 01:57 AM

Pick one piece of survival gear

I am new here, so I will begin by asking one question. If you could pick one piece of gear, what would it be?

For this to work, you can not repeat posts. The point of this exercise is to prioritize gear in a BOB, so your cooperation would be appreciated.

medicineball 03-30-2011 06:29 AM

First piece of gear is something in which to carry the rest of your gear.

TANSTAF1 03-30-2011 07:17 AM

Nope, first piece of gear is something to hold and boil water (you can make fire with stuff you find)

kev 03-30-2011 07:34 AM

Moved to Disaster Preparedness General Discussion forum section

~~~~~~~~~~~

If I could pick 1 piece of equipment, it would be a berkey water filter. Woithout safe drinking water, life as we know it can not exist.

Roger Wilco 03-30-2011 07:39 AM

Depends on where you are, for example:

Desert- Water and shade
Jungle- Water filter and mosquito netting

Maybe if you gave a specific scenario, like: Michigan, in November... etc...

magfed556 03-30-2011 07:42 AM

I've noticed 2 discrepencies. First TANSTAF1, there is NO right or wrong answer, just no repeat answers, and Kev, how can you pack that BIG AZZ Filter in a BOB???

My contribution is my ESEE JUNGLAS.

Kipper 03-30-2011 07:49 AM

If i was starting from scratch, without the knowledge I have now, the first item would be Knowledge, in the form of the LDS preparedness manual, or the SAS Survival guide.

As I have a basic understanding of the information in both of those texts the first item I would like is (assuming the more probable bug in scenario) a 1000 gallon water tank with rainwater catchment.

Assuming the less probable "bug out" scenario, first item would be a water bottle with the stainless steel cup on the bottom. (hopefully I have my EDC lighter with me :) )

I dont need a backpack to carry my first item :)

However, someone already took that item, and the next couple that would be on my list, so.... being a torch addict i'm going to cheat and add 3 items:

Quark AA^2 Turbo with optional flat tail cap
Eneloop AA batteries (x2)
Solar charger

fullofit 03-30-2011 07:51 AM

I would have to agree with Kev, water filter takes priority. Although I would go with something a bit more portable than the Berkley.

For me survival is based on 4 basic concepts.

#1 Shelter: exposure can kill you in hours in a bad environment (november rain in Michigan?)

#2 Water: without safe water you will die in as little 7 days.

#3 Food: you can last literally weeks without food albeit not productive weeks but weeks nonetheless.

#4 Security:
if you have all of the above, depending on the situation security can be as life threatening as any of the above threats.

I can build a shelter with my bare hands, I can make a bow with my bare hands to start a fire, I can gather food with my bare hands. Create a fish trap, frog gig, etc without tools. I can lay low and out of sight (elude evade style security) but I cannot filter water and without it I will be dead in days.

kev 03-30-2011 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magfed556 (Post 2580113)
I've noticed 2 discrepencies. First TANSTAF1, there is NO right or wrong answer, just no repeat answers, and Kev, how can you pack that BIG AZZ Filter in a BOB???

I do not subscribe to the "bug out bag" theory.

Some people have this theory of grabbing their "bug out bag" and heading into the wilderness where they are going to stay insulated.

Sorry, I dont think so.

fullofit 03-30-2011 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kev (Post 2580137)
I do not subscribe to the "bug out bag" theory.

Some people have this theory of grabbing their "bug out bag" and heading into the wilderness where they are going to stay insulated.

Sorry, I dont think so.

Obviously the post is hypothetical, and personally I don't agree with the bug out to the woods and live like Rambo concept either, I have taken the path of a well stocked well prepared BOL.

If I had to hang out in the forest on the way to the BOL with the clothes on my back and one other item it would be the water filter as I can walk to the BOL in 7-10 days.

Flex 03-30-2011 09:43 AM

I am going to say Emergency Space Blanket.

1. It could provide shelter from the elements(ground, rain, snow, heat or cold)
2. I can use it to collect and treat water.
3. With some ingenuity you can catch fish and small animals.
4. It could help me to be rescued and safely placed back onto my couch.

Weighing only 2.5 oz you just can't be too wrong having it in your BOB.

bltjr1951 03-30-2011 09:57 AM

Since OP is new, he must of missed all the "pick top 1, 3, 5, 10 item for BOB" threads.
AKA "quick you can only pick one item as you bug out" thread.
My answer will always be "my 22ft RV".

Bearack 03-30-2011 10:09 AM

It all depends on the criteria. In some instances, maybe a good pair of boots are your best tool. Or a sharp knife might be for other situations. Or in maybe higher North a -20 down jacket is the best option.

As Kev stated, however, you can only last 3 days with no water. In any survival situation, one of the first things you need to establish is a clean water source. Even if its filterpen, water as well as shelter are a persons first priority.

CarlMc 03-30-2011 10:14 AM

1. Your brain, loaded
2. Good knife

Everything else is a bonus

Shark 03-30-2011 10:15 AM

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o...ShtfWeapon.jpg

rugster 03-30-2011 10:51 AM

The most important piece of survival gear above all else is your brain
nothing and I mean Nothing matters if you don't have that right.

-Read this forum and others develop an objective and a plan to match until then don't buy a damn thing! People prep for different reasons and with different objectives I have No idea what your prep goals are so I think it would be irresponsible to tell you what to buy ?

But you can never have enough Ninja throwing stars! :rolleyes:

siclmn 03-30-2011 10:57 AM

1. Berkey sport water filter bottle.
2. Food
3. Space blanket
4. Fire starter

Flex 03-30-2011 10:59 AM

I see that many people recommend "brain". I was wondering where you guys get yours from. Anyways, I hope the return policy is not too prohibitive.

bltjr1951 03-30-2011 11:26 AM

Some folk say "my gun" as in:
With my gun, I can get all the BOBs I need.

I used to mention that someone will say "brain", but that made some zombies mad.

Flex 03-30-2011 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bltjr1951 (Post 2580910)
Some folk say "my gun" as in:
With my gun, I can get all the BOBs I need.

I used to mention that someone will say "brain", but that made some zombies mad.

Then it does look like "my gun" could be the only option. :D: